Wendell Lucas THX Cinema build - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #91 of 243 Old 05-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Thanks,
You can find some high resolution images online that had been enhanced from the original trailer. However, I was in a hurry to post here and forgot to display the images on my projector when taking all these pictures. Hence, welcome Photoshop When I do watch the trailer, my iscan DVDO flashes my projector not to display anything outside of the 2.40:1 images space. So, no light leakage on the top and bottom. It works perfectly for filling ONLY the screen no mater what ratio the movie might be in like 2.35:1 or 1.85:1, 1.78:1 and so on.

Maybe I will post my next images of my almost finished projector cover(taking forever) with a shot of the sweeeet new Star Wars: Rogue One trailer. Looks frickin amazing!!
I noticed how you got high resolution 1080p on that Star Wars trailer photo and I said "How did he do that?" So that is how you did it!!

Me want more!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 243 Old 05-08-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwil View Post
The reason you're probably freezing even with the heat on is because you have no return. Your HVAC will never be effective in a sealed room with no return, whether you're trying to heat it or cool it. If there is no place for air to go, it won't get pumped in no matter how many or how big your supplies are. You're going to need a return, no question, or you'll never be able to regulate the temp in there. You probably have other rooms in your house with no returns in them that are just fine, but I bet there are big gaps under the doors. Those gaps are the returns in rooms like that. There simply has to be a place for the air to go.

BTW, congrats on the improvement of your grandpa...that is great news indeed.
Thank you,

And yeah, I agree. Maybe the doors I built are letting some air flow out in the back of the room. Because I can put my hand there and the flow is strong. I know I can easily add some ductwork under the equipment stand that would go out under the floor where I have speaker cables going out. But I think a better solution would be some where in the front of the room where the screen is. Whatever I end up adding will have lots of duct turns for sound proofing as much as possible. I really would like to avoid adding a fan in the duct tube work, and I don't think I would need one. Or house was built very well. We have returns in every room and I cant say that for all the other homes I have lived in. But this basement was left unfinished by our request. Another place I did not think of till now is inside the starfield. Lots of easy room up there to go directly to the return in the basement. I am not sure if a return would work better low or high in a room? I would think middle height would be the best for both heat and AC.
Both vents should be high. 1. You don't need heat in a room that is properly sealed and with 2" of efficient fiberglass on the walls. 2. If you are displacing the air helping "to push" the heated air out of the room, the cold air vents should be placed high. This promotes better mixing and pushes the heated air up and out of the vents. If your forced air is on the floor, the room will become stratified with cold air on the bottom and very warm air above that.
dRwOOD73 likes this.
post #93 of 243 Old 05-08-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Well, can you post some charts of your rooms Freq plots, ETC charts for above 250hz, waterfall charts for below 250hz, etc. Multiple seat positions, overlays, etc.
I'd love to see that data.

btw, THX certified, how does your room match these specs? "self-certified"?
http://www.audioholics.com/trade-sho...heater-program
The ?room? as it sits now, has not been THX certified under the current Ultra2 program you are referencing. I was planning on doing that along with some sort of control system later. But under the cert, at this point, and I am not finished with the build, would fail due to no acoustically transparent screen. But yes I plan on posting all the goodies, detailed plots and so forth. But as I have said, I have only done the most basic sweeps and playing around with different placements of speakers. Still deciding on my preferred placement and settings because even after cert, I will still be turning off all the THX filters, THX modes, double bass, screen re-EQ and all that stuff that I just don?t like what these filters due to the natural sounds of the speakers. So far given what I have seen in sweeps would easily meet the cert for front row. Not likely for back row because of some smearing issues but I designed for optimal front row sitting. Might be to close to screen but was considering 4k and that is a contradiction to current THX standards at this point(I think?). Also, that is why I did not want to build a static raised floor for seating. I needed to be able to change the seating positions(and projector position) at any time with out rebuilding the room(Note: anyone planning your build don?t forget to consider that as you never know what might change in your equipment down the road 4k and such). I am still having some problems matching (middle-ing between AT fronts and Seaton for lows) the klipsch U2 subs with fronts and Seaton. The Seaton plays well with others but the insane sensitivity of the Klispch subs and or amps attenuation wants to mate with much higher sensitive speakers. I think as designed for that system. I will make it work but Audyssey was totally confused with them when playing around those first days of testing. I have not done calibration stuff in over a decade. All my experience comes from the 90?s when it was soooooo much harder. We did not have any of these great new tools and I am playing catch up.
THX has requirements for just about everything in the room. First and foremost, the room must not exceed 20dB quiet space. This can only be measured with a Type 1 mic accurately. If it doesn't meet that, it will not be certified. 105dB at all listening positions, screen illumination is correct as mentioned above plus a whole host of other things. BTW...equipment does not have to be certified by THX to meet approval. It just has to be THX approved. Whenever we design a THX theater, even the plans are certified by THX. Further, THX generally likes to calibrate the room to receive certification. What you do after that is your prerogative.
Elill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 243 Old 05-09-2015, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post
Both vents should be high. 1. You don't need heat in a room that is properly sealed and with 2" of efficient fiberglass on the walls. 2. If you are displacing the air helping "to push" the heated air out of the room, the cold air vents should be placed high. This promotes better mixing and pushes the heated air up and out of the vents. If your forced air is on the floor, the room will become stratified with cold air on the bottom and very warm air above that.
Yes, and understood as that makes sense now that I think about it like that. So maybe one or two feet down from the ceiling would be good.
post #95 of 243 Old 05-09-2015, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post
THX has requirements for just about everything in the room. First and foremost, the room must not exceed 20dB quiet space. This can only be measured with a Type 1 mic accurately. If it doesn't meet that, it will not be certified. 105dB at all listening positions, screen illumination is correct as mentioned above plus a whole host of other things. BTW...equipment does not have to be certified by THX to meet approval. It just has to be THX approved. Whenever we design a THX theater, even the plans are certified by THX. Further, THX generally likes to calibrate the room to receive certification. What you do after that is your prerogative.
Thanks, I wish you lived in my area. So many questions.
I think the quite space would be at best 19dB-22dB when measured with Type 1 mic(but I do not have one). I know 105dB, 85dB with +20dB headroom is meet with no problems at all seating locations. I know nothing about the details of the "room plan and those needs" that THX certs? I assume acoustic property's but what else?

I cant believe I am considering tearing down my front wall and selling my screen to go AT after all this work But I am, because mainly, I have noticed after placing the center sooooo much farther down than I am use too, the front sound stage is not as blended together as well as I remember it before. Also this is the main THX cert problem.
post #96 of 243 Old 05-09-2015, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Props on a great looking theater!!
post #97 of 243 Old 05-10-2015, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone looking for a 128” 2.40:1 custom Carada brilliant white 1.4 Gain screen in the DC area? Not likely going to be an easy sell So close to finishing and did not want to hide speakers, but I think I always knew I was going to go the AT screen route at some point.
post #98 of 243 Old 05-11-2015, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Great looking theater.. very well done. We're of the same age so i get the awe of going to big theaters to see movies.. i worry my 6 year old isn't experiencing movies like i did growing up.. i guess thatz unavoidable, with all the modern day tech toys at this generations disposal..

Enjoy the spoils of your hard work.. any i hope your gramps is doing well.

post #99 of 243 Old 05-11-2015, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRwOOD73 View Post
Great looking theater.. very well done. We're of the same age so i get the awe of going to big theaters to see movies.. i worry my 6 year old isn't experiencing movies like i did growing up.. i guess thatz unavoidable, with all the modern day tech toys at this generations disposal..

Enjoy the spoils of your hard work.. any i hope your gramps is doing well.
Thank you,
Update, my grandpa got out of rehab and is back home doing great. I am so happy and thank god for his amazing recovery from a very scary event. I hope to see him next month.

I could not agree more on what you are saying. I think it is so sad to see the younger generation watching (before the movie is even out in theaters)camera MPEG-1 mono streamed movies on their iPhones like really! I also think it is sad, (as I come from a long history of the arcade industry) to see kids playing the old arcade games on their phones using MAME and others emulators, then saying these old games suck. If only they knew what the REAL, long dead arcade experience was like. I guess I am getting old....... because now I am sounding just like the elders when I was young. You young whippersnappers and your fancy..........lame
AllenA07 and dRwOOD73 like this.
post #100 of 243 Old 05-13-2015, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Glad your Grandpa is on the mend and "ditto" to the rest of your post.
post #101 of 243 Old 07-22-2015, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for the sentiments. It means a lot to me. My grandpa seemed to have made a 100% recovery. I am so happy I got to see him even for only a briefly time last month and wish I could have spent more time with him. Unfortunately, this build however, took a MAJOR setback It will not be finished or changed anytime soon. For those waiting or interested in some of the much needed updates and changes I planed and have been talking about I am sorry. This build is on freeze

End of line..........
post #102 of 243 Old 07-22-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Great looking room and its amazing how fast you built it - congrats. What material did you wrap the ceiling panels in for your star ceiling?
post #103 of 243 Old 07-23-2015, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Great looking room and its amazing how fast you built it - congrats. What material did you wrap the ceiling panels in for your star ceiling?
It was not a fast build as I started in Feb 2014, but posted all that had been done from then to now at once.

The ceiling panel fabric came from walmart.
I looked on the walmart.com and could not find what I used there, terrible website, worthless search engine. Anyway, if you go into the fabric section of the store you will know it when you see it. There will be two black fabrics "sold 1x1 yard up to 20 yards long, full roll" for around $9 a yard for one and $5 yard for the other. I used the $9 one (maybe polyester not felt I cant remember)and it is more stretchy than the $6 one. I used this on the star field ceiling and all the walls but for the front wall. That came from black felt bed blankets also found in walmart. They are very dense, have a very fuzzy texture that absorb all light, hence why I used them in the front. But they are very heavy, hard to work with and expensive, around $40-50 for a King size $30-40 for a Queen size. Hope that helps.
post #104 of 243 Old 07-23-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
... I do not like the sound of in-walls or any speaker too close to a wall. Dipoles do well on walls but for all my other speakers, I wanted them to be able to breath even when I knew it would take away from that clean open space look. That is one of those pros/cons things. It’s nice to hide all the speakers but then they sound bad in the walls if not done right. So for me I wanted them to sound good and I always loved the way they look anyway. I might change my mind later and do a rebuild with an acoustical transparent screen and hide all the speakers.
I hear ya bruthah!

There's something about SEEING the speakers for some folks. I'm one of them. I love walking in my HT and seeing the speakers. They make a very profound statement too.

Love the open feel of your room. Looks fantastic and not your cookie cutter HT that so many seem to strive for around here. Love the look! GREAT JOB !!!!!! Kudos for doing something different.

post #105 of 243 Old 07-23-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Yes, and no. What I mean is, I can not seem to find all my pictures from a four month gap during such time I was building them. They were made from standard Lowes top grade wood. I added rubber backed carpeted mats that were cut in striped section stapled on to the backs(can be seen in some pictures). Then I added one layer of first reflection acoustic absorption material I got from an old movie theater that was being renovated (I could add some pictures of that material I still have some. I was given them when I was working in the arcade at that mall Roanoke VA “Valley View mall theater”). Then I added the foam seen as the last layer. This material can be had NextAcoustics for what I consider very reasonable prices. I do need to go back and fix that last step. The foam did not fit my panels perfectly and after pining them down some areas popped out. When the lights shine down on them this can be seen as darker spots. I can send you more information on the details if you would like.
Nice build, can you please share more info and pictures of those panels?
post #106 of 243 Old 07-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
this is seriously a BEAUTIFUL theater. congrats man
gamest likes this.
post #107 of 243 Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
I hear ya bruthah!

There's something about SEEING the speakers for some folks. I'm one of them. I love walking in my HT and seeing the speakers. They make a very profound statement too.

Love the open feel of your room. Looks fantastic and not your cookie cutter HT that so many seem to strive for around here. Love the look! GREAT JOB !!!!!! Kudos for doing something different.
Thanks, and you too with Home Theater of the Month! Congrats again for that because I loved what you did with your design. It was very different and artistic and showed how nice speakers being seen can look. I still might change my design mainly AT screen with center hidden. But for now all is on hold.
rms8 likes this.
post #108 of 243 Old 07-26-2015, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Nice build, can you please share more info and pictures of those panels?
I wish I could find those pictures. Maybe I can take some better pictures when I take them down to fix them. I would be happy to answer any question you have about them. What information are you interested in?
post #109 of 243 Old 07-26-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
I wish I could find those pictures. Maybe I can take some better pictures when I take them down to fix them. I would be happy to answer any question you have about them. What information are you interested in?
Thanks in advance Looking forward to it Appreciates if you can share what materials used & how you make it
post #110 of 243 Old 08-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
WOW! This build is incredible! I'm glad I helped motivate you, but WOW! You went above and beyond! Amazing is not even a good choice of words for how great this looks.
gamest likes this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #111 of 243 Old 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
WOW! This build is incredible! I'm glad I helped motivate you, but WOW! You went above and beyond! Amazing is not even a good choice of words for how great this looks.
SOWK,

Thank you that means so much to me. I too sometimes think I might have gone overboard on some of it. I am not finished (had a setback that has put a hold on my build). I Still have a lot of things not seen that needs fixing and finishing.

My desktop image on my computer was a picture of your build for about a year as I was contemplating the look of mine. Loved your colors and most importantly the front walls and screen space. Very open feeling. Anyways, want to trade theaters?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	163Inc_12.2FeetWide.jpg
Views:	2007
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	879722  
post #112 of 243 Old 08-10-2015, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Amazing theater!
gamest likes this.
post #113 of 243 Old 08-10-2015, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Love everything about this theater. Great job!
gamest likes this.
post #114 of 243 Old 08-13-2015, 10:40 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
What had happened that the theater is now on hold?

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #115 of 243 Old 08-17-2015, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
What had happened that the theater is now on hold?
Well, the hold is not for any one reason. Firstly, money issues and I know that can be a common problem on many builds. Secondly, I am having some major redesign thoughts, mainly AT screen. My front sound stage sounds terrible right now. It's not as transparent and seamless as it was before when my center channel was higher. I am also having some very strange issues with my preamp(maybe also contributing to bad sound stage). I guess it was bound to happen to me buying so much used equipment. I was already thinking of buying a new DTS:X preamp anyway. Lastly, I will need a lot of time to do all of this but my work has me very busy and I will become more busy as we launch our new satellites before the end of the year. Also, other projects I promised the wife, it has just been one thing after another.

Last week I went into the room and walked through a spider web crossing the door way entrance

Last edited by gamest; 08-17-2015 at 08:54 PM.
post #116 of 243 Old 08-17-2015, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Darnit. thats really great work!
post #117 of 243 Old 08-17-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
...I am having some major redesign thoughts, mainly AT screen. My front sound stage sounds terrible right now. It's not as transparent and seamless as it was before when my center channel was higher...
Can you elaborate more on what the sound stage issue is that you're now experiencing? What changes between then (when it was presumably much better) and now? Without having to go back and reread the thread please remind me of the changes you've made and what you think has led to the current issues aside from the possible amp issue.
post #118 of 243 Old 08-17-2015, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Can you elaborate more on what the sound stage issue is that you're now experiencing? What changes between then (when it was presumably much better) and now? Without having to go back and reread the thread please remind me of the changes you've made and what you think has led to the current issues aside from the possible amp issue.
The detailed story,

So, I original bought the Integra DHC80.1 used on ebay "broken for parts" for $200 back in 2013. I was a betting man that it just needed the HDMI board replaced as this is a known issue(that's right, I am looking at YOU Onkyo ). Bought a new board for $100. Upon receiving the preamp, it seemed to work fine. But I did not really use it much for just a movie or two with other speakers in another room. After this room was built to the point of being used(basically as you see it now) I had my system in the form it has been for about three years, Integra DTR 9.9 receiver with and without the Bryston's hooked up with the AT450s but the center was much higher. I would say almost two feet off the ground and more inline with fronts. Watched some movies and it sounded amazing. Now, amazing would be, anytime something moved across or in the front stage it was seamless and smooth. More importantly, it was MUCH more dynamic. I do not mean dynamic in the frequency domain, but in the amplitude range. More of the scare you dynamics and music sound tracks were far more enveloping.

Then,
I left everything the way it was(but I wanted my new screen to be as close to the floor for that enveloping feeling, so the center had to be dropped to less than a foot high) hooked up the DHC 80.1 and one Bryston 9BSST amp to run some tests. At some point(was not doing anything but test tones at very low levels) front left speaker made a loud pop and the preamp was dead Pulled out the HDMI board and replaced it, nothing. So, I went to Integra/Onkyo in MD, had them look at it and it was fixed with a pay-stub statement $189 bad output stage buffers board. Okay, well thats good, moving on, and ran some tests and was not very impressed(keep in mind at this stage I never had it really working for very long to compare too a working model) so turned some setings on and off. Ran auto cal double checked the values it ran. Yeah, time and freq domain good, looks good 20-20khz. But no matter what I would try, sound stage sounded flat and not dynamic, center channel not imaging well, break up sound as something moves across the front. Dialog compress-y almost like the entire front stage had Dolby volume at max compression(and all that stuff was off including the THX filters). So this is when I stated to think about that receipt saying bad buffer on output stage. If that was not calibrated right after fixing or replacing the board I know their would be some impedance issues going on with the output stage. So, until I replace the preamp or get it fix(not likely) then I will be able to make the decision on if the center channel needs to come back up and hence new AT screen.

So, that is where I am at now. I am sure I will get the time and money to continue later.

Note:
The guy I just sold my older Lexicon amp to was given a demo and said I was being OCD and that he thought it was the best sounding home theater he had heard. All of my friends have said the same, but I know what I am hearing and I will prove it latter
post #119 of 243 Old 08-17-2015, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippmaster13 View Post
Darnit. thats really great work!
indeed thank you
post #120 of 243 Old 08-30-2015, 07:11 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member