Wendell Lucas THX Cinema build - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #121 of 243 Old 08-30-2015, 07:13 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
SOWK,

Thank you that means so much to me. I too sometimes think I might have gone overboard on some of it. I am not finished (had a setback that has put a hold on my build). I Still have a lot of things not seen that needs fixing and finishing.

My desktop image on my computer was a picture of your build for about a year as I was contemplating the look of mine. Loved your colors and most importantly the front walls and screen space. Very open feeling. Anyways, want to trade theaters?

How big is that screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 243 Old 08-30-2015, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
How big is that screen
That image was of SOWK's HTOM screen and I think his is around 150" Mine is small 128" compared to his.
post #123 of 243 Old 08-30-2015, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I finaly had some time off work to do a MAJOR ground breaking test. My old preamp was sold before I had started using the new DHC 80.1. But I did have my way old, yet still amazing for stereo receiver to run a test. It is the Onkyo 909 pro and I just sent a fiber prologic signal to it with preamp outputs to the front three speakers through Bryston amp. BAM! front sound stage back to what I remembered. All the dynamics and detail came back with force! I cant beleve I have spent so much time trying to get this 80.1 preamp to sound right. What a wast of time and money. Nothing but heartache and I am so ashamed that I have been deluding myself for soooo many months, thinking some setting is just wrong. I guess I am back in the preamp buying market Sooner than I wanted to be because I want DTS:X.

I think I might have an "office space" preamp event in my back yard. ie baseball bat and some friends.
k1n3t1k likes this.

Last edited by gamest; 08-30-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 243 Old 08-30-2015, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Speaking of the Onkyo 909 Pro, remember when Ambisonic was the ****!? Two decades before 3D sound formats came out? They had the right idea where things were going. Yeah, not likey, before your time LOL. Just wondering?
post #125 of 243 Old 09-23-2015, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Back in the saddle!

Big news and progress is coming
Cksqurd likes this.
post #126 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Nothing like coming home from a long days work and seeing this waiting to be played with

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	1243
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	960681  
post #127 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 1842
Wait a second....didn't you just say the 80.1 preamp was junk for sound quality and now you bought an 80.6? Did you audition this first or explore other options?
post #128 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Wait a second....didn't you just say the 80.1 preamp was junk for sound quality and now you bought an 80.6? Did you audition this first or explore other options?
Oh, sorry if that was not descibed well. No, not junk, I have always been a BIG Onkyo/Integra fan for a long time now regardless of the newer issues. Not junk, but broken repair issues, it was not repaired right and so I was DONE with it. I wanted to destroy it but a friend really wanted it so I give it to him(I dont know why he wanted it given its issues)

I have spent a lot of time thinking about the options and I might still change my mind. But I need something now, not 2016.

I almost bought the marantz 8802 as I WANT DTS:X but this came along at such a good price. I figured I would try it and if I dont like it, I will sell it and go with the 8802 or now 7702MKII.
post #129 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Nice build, can you please share more info and pictures of those panels?
I finaly had some time to fix them. I did a poor job installing the outer foam layer and now thats fixed. here are some pics of the inner layer that came from that theater. The only imfo I can find on them is a statment saying CL-1r and something regarding digram 601. Wish their was something on the company. Sorry not much help, but the foam can be found all over the place.

Much better looking

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101.jpg
Views:	1229
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	960857   Click image for larger version

Name:	102.jpg
Views:	1234
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	960865   Click image for larger version

Name:	103.jpg
Views:	1238
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	960881   Click image for larger version

Name:	104.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	960889  
WereWolf84 likes this.
post #130 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

I do not have much time left before I will be busy working and MIA. So I wanted to set up the 80.6 and go Atmos as soon as I could.

Firstly, had to rewire eveything. Teardown all the dipoles, will like to come back and test with the six dipoles but want to follow ideal Atmos design rules.

Move all speakrs to ear level, this was a bit of a problem for my entrance walkway space. Not much room back there now and I can see someone in the dark bumping into them

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	106_down.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	960913   Click image for larger version

Name:	107_down.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	960921   Click image for larger version

Name:	108_down.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	960929   Click image for larger version

Name:	109_down.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	960937  
WereWolf84 and Franky62 like this.
post #131 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Secondly, need to add my height speakers for 7.2.4. I REALLY do not want to destroy my starfield so I am temporarily hanging them and maybe later adding them into the starfield. I do not have an ideal Atmos room. Ceiling is only 8feet, but some of us have to make do with what we have for now.

Used my two sets of 4.5AT as they are treble matched, same drivers as my 450s without the lower freq responce, but lightweight and easyer to work with. Angled down at 45 degrees located inline with fronts.

Sorry, for some resson lighting or bad cam can never make out speakers in this room.

My monster M2.2 cables could not quite make the distance needed so this looks terrible. Oh well, whatever, moving on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110_atmos.jpg
Views:	1245
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	960961   Click image for larger version

Name:	111_atmos_all.jpg
Views:	2103
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	960969   Click image for larger version

Name:	112_cable.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	960977  
post #132 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
alot of cables/eletronics are visable when you step inside your room, you should consider a Rack to place all elektronics in one place. have you done any audio measurements?
post #133 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac83 View Post
alot of cables/eletronics are visable when you step inside your room, you should consider a Rack to place all elektronics in one place. have you done any audio measurements?
My older system was like that. All equipment in another room very clean. This time I wanted to have a nice show off my equipment sort of look. No audio measurment yet on this preamp and not much will be able to change with the DHC 80.6. It has no audyssey or even EQ-ing. I will have to buy and outboard proc for fine tuning it. Audyssey never did much for my room anyway, I could turn it on then off and only notice the diffrence in bass control. So I am hoping the same will be true in my case were I will not need it. But still, I will be doing audio measurments later.
post #134 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
alot of cables/eletronics are visable when you step inside your room, you should consider a Rack to place all elektronics in one place.
Have you looked through his build? He did a lot of work to place the equipment where it is. I think his attention to cable management is way over the top (a good thing). It almost reminds me of art when you first walk into his room... I personally think it looks AWESOME! Those meaty cables all routed neatly and everything stacked so straight and pretty.

A++ room!

Franky62 likes this.
post #135 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

At this point in time I have only done speaker distance and level calibrations. Watched the high res download of episode 7, that for some reason my DVDO will not fill the 2:4 space, and upscaled with the Dolby Atmos mode. Wow, what an amazing effect it can have! The best way I can describe it, would be the same as reviews have. All the speaker positions fade away. You never have that moment were you know where the speaker is. Very cool, and coming from my broken 80.1 this was heaven for me. My system has jumped back to life

Someone was asking me to post actual pics of the 9700 so here they are. I am not a big fan of projector pictures because they never seem to capture the true experience well. And my camera sucks, lighting is bad.

This weekend I will watch Madmax in Atmos and try lots of movies in the Dolby upscaling mode. Then I will be able to give my opinons better if this was the right choice for me. I know the DHC 80.6 is NOT the best choice for all.

With all lights on,

Get out of the WAY! lol
Sorry close image,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	200.jpg
Views:	1244
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	961057   Click image for larger version

Name:	201.jpg
Views:	1234
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	961065   Click image for larger version

Name:	202.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	961073   Click image for larger version

Name:	203_lights.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	961081   Click image for larger version

Name:	204.jpg
Views:	1602
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	961089  

Name:	205.jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	961097  
WereWolf84 likes this.
post #136 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
Have you looked through his build? He did a lot of work to place the equipment where it is. I think his attention to cable management is way over the top (a good thing). It almost reminds me of art when you first walk into his room... I personally think it looks AWESOME! Those meaty cables all routed neatly and everything stacked so straight and pretty.

A++ room!

guess your right, it's cool in one way but every one thinkt diffrent, yeah, it's a A++ room
post #137 of 243 Old 09-25-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
My older system was like that. All equipment in another room very clean. This time I wanted to have a nice show off my equipment sort of look. No audio measurment yet on this preamp and not much will be able to change with the DHC 80.6. It has no audyssey or even EQ-ing. I will have to buy and outboard proc for fine tuning it. Audyssey never did much for my room anyway, I could turn it on then off and only notice the diffrence in bass control. So I am hoping the same will be true in my case were I will not need it. But still, I will be doing audio measurments later.
ok, miniDSP is a realy good tool to fine tune, i can promise you that you will find faults in your system first time you measure it but with some eq it will be good.
popalock likes this.
post #138 of 243 Old 09-26-2015, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A++ room!

Thank you, it is a bit of art. However, the cables are all over the place now. Was in a hurry to get Atmos running. I will go back and clean up that mess later. Bring back that relative organized look. I know some will never like seeing cables no mater how nice they look.
post #139 of 243 Old 09-26-2015, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A++ room!

Quote:
ok, miniDSP is a realy good tool to fine tune, i can promise you that you will find faults in your system first time you measure it but with some eq it will be good.
What miniDSP would you recommend? It will have to be XLR balanced inputs outputs and I don't want to spend multi $K. I can say at this point, after watching a few movies maybe 5min each (Starwars, Tron, Cars) the sound-stage, mid-bass, dynamics is soooooooooooo much better in everyday on all channels compared to my broken(keyword and need to stress that) 80.1 with calibration. I dont know why anyone would use any mode but the Dolby up scaling mode.

Called Dolby Surround <--- Really Dolby? that was the best you could come up with? We don't want to confuse the consumers out there anything, right? wow. anyway,

However, I have not watch an Atmos movie yet, but what I do know already is that bass management EQ will be a must!!!!! Subs are noticeably not right in casual listen. I am sure their is much correction needed (maybe just a Velodyne SMS-1). But other than that, I think so far, I am VERY amazed as to how well it sounds with no calibration.

I was also considering the Audyssey 8 MultEQ Pro with XLR but this would still leave the top channels uncalibrated. I dont know, I would also have to pay for service and software.
http://www.aihomecinema.com.au/Room_...libration.html

All I know is the bass thing, WILL have to be addressed.
post #140 of 243 Old 09-26-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
What miniDSP would you recommend? It will have to be XLR balanced inputs outputs and I don't want to spend multi $K. I can say at this point, after watching a few movies maybe 5min each (Starwars, Tron, Cars) the sound-stage, mid-bass, dynamics is soooooooooooo much better in everyday on all channels compared to my broken(keyword and need to stress that) 80.1 with calibration. I dont know why anyone would use any mode but the Dolby up scaling mode.

Called Dolby Surround <--- Really Dolby? that was the best you could come up with? We don't want to confuse the consumers out there anything, right? wow. anyway,

However, I have not watch an Atmos movie yet, but what I do know already is that bass management EQ will be a must!!!!! Subs are noticeably not right in casual listen. I am sure their is much correction needed (maybe just a Velodyne SMS-1). But other than that, I think so far, I am VERY amazed as to how well it sounds with no calibration.

I was also considering the Audyssey 8 MultEQ Pro with XLR but this would still leave the top channels uncalibrated. I dont know, I would also have to pay for service and software.
http://www.aihomecinema.com.au/Room_...libration.html

All I know is the bass thing, WILL have to be addressed.
When everything else are top notch you should go with the MiniDSP 10x10 hd, it has balanced in/outputs and even adjustable limiters, don´t think you need miniDSP on all surround channels, take the front chanels, sub, right/left surround and atmos speakers throu the miniDSP.

i havent tried the dolby atmos upscaling my self but have heard thats it´s a ok thing to use.
post #141 of 243 Old 09-26-2015, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
When everything else are top notch you should go with the MiniDSP 10x10 hd, it has balanced in/outputs and even adjustable limiters, don´t think you need miniDSP on all surround channels, take the front chanels, sub, right/left surround and atmos speakers throu the miniDSP.

i havent tried the dolby atmos upscaling my self but have heard thats it´s a ok thing to use.
MiniDSP 10x10 hd only has 8 not 10 XLR inputs/outputs, or am I reading something wrong? Still for that price I guess I could buy 2 and filter all channels. I would think that calibrating the main 7 and subs are more important than the high channels being they are so close?
post #142 of 243 Old 09-26-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Great theater. Looks like you had a fun time building it and I hope you start to enjoy it very soon.

I am sure lots of folks around here have their own star wars experiences. I can remember being 4 years old when Return of the Jedi came out and I will never forget stepping outside of the theater into the light and just being struck by the thought "Oh yeah, this is real life". I felt like I had just been transported to that galaxy far far away. That experience and the memory of it helped to convince me I wanted to do a dedicated room and have it be a special place with a low noise floor etc etc.
gamest likes this.
post #143 of 243 Old 09-27-2015, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Great theater. Looks like you had a fun time building it and I hope you start to enjoy it very soon.

I am sure lots of folks around here have their own star wars experiences. I can remember being 4 years old when Return of the Jedi came out and I will never forget stepping outside of the theater into the light and just being struck by the thought "Oh yeah, this is real life". I felt like I had just been transported to that galaxy far far away. That experience and the memory of it helped to convince me I wanted to do a dedicated room and have it be a special place with a low noise floor etc etc.
Thanks, and I must say your build is so nice wow. and very well thought out. I love the detail in the patterns you went with on those panels. I too think the Return of the Jedi experience was sick. Almost life changing LOL, maybe because theaters started to jump on the bandwagon with upgrades to sound and video during that time. I do remember it being so much more of a good theater experience compared to Empire. And there is no scene I love more for a demo than flying into the death star. Oh, and that scene is fricken so cool Dolby unscaled. Much more enveloping such a night and day difference it can make I am loving life cant stop grinning ever time I power up my system now. It does not seem to mater what I watch, it is so addictive. I need to watch this, and that, and so little time I have at home these days, that part sucks for me now.
post #144 of 243 Old 09-29-2015, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

I have posted my first impressions of the DHC 80.6 on that official forum. Amazing preamp and Madmax is sick in Atmos. Just need to calibrate my subs better.
post #145 of 243 Old 09-29-2015, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What is the main differences between the miniDSP 10x10 HD and the DDRC-88A

I need to make that decision and I am a little confused on what the extra $500 goes too other than mic and all. Is the Dirac Live worth it? Because if it is just a poor version of Audyssey and that is the only difference than I will just go with the 10x10 HD.

Last edited by gamest; 09-29-2015 at 10:41 AM.
post #146 of 243 Old 09-30-2015, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
What is the main differences between the miniDSP 10x10 HD and the DDRC-88A

I need to make that decision and I am a little confused on what the extra $500 goes too other than mic and all. Is the Dirac Live worth it? Because if it is just a poor version of Audyssey and that is the only difference than I will just go with the 10x10 HD.
You may want to read through the MiniDSP 88A thread. There have been many reports that Dirac Live is on a whole other level in terms of calibration results and that seems to be the general consensus (aka a whole other league).
post #147 of 243 Old 10-01-2015, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
You may want to read through the MiniDSP 88A thread. There have been many reports that Dirac Live is on a whole other level in terms of calibration results and that seems to be the general consensus (aka a whole other league).
Yeah, I had just started to look into that thread. Because I was not sure how and if it would be possible to use two 88a for a complete Dirac on all 7.2.4 channels. I dont think this is possible and would be way $$$ would have been better off just buying an 8802. Will read more, thanks
post #148 of 243 Old 10-01-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
Yeah, I had just started to look into that thread. Because I was not sure how and if it would be possible to use two 88a for a complete Dirac on all 7.2.4 channels. I dont think this is possible and would be way $$$ would have been better off just buying an 8802. Will read more, thanks
I used to follow the 88A thread daily. However I haven't been there in a few months. When I last left off there was at least one person, maybe two, that were in the midst of trying out two 88A for their Atmos setup. Word prior to that was that it should be possible to use two, and so they were trying it. I don't know how it went, but am very curious, as I'd be looking to do the same. Can you please do me a favor and post back here after you've reviewed the latest in the thread to let me know how their experiment went with the two 88A units? I'd appreciate it - thanks!
post #149 of 243 Old 10-02-2015, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
I used to follow the 88A thread daily. However I haven't been there in a few months. When I last left off there was at least one person, maybe two, that were in the midst of trying out two 88A for their Atmos setup. Word prior to that was that it should be possible to use two, and so they were trying it. I don't know how it went, but am very curious, as I'd be looking to do the same. Can you please do me a favor and post back here after you've reviewed the latest in the thread to let me know how their experiment went with the two 88A units? I'd appreciate it - thanks!
Yeah no problem, will do. Man, I have been reading that thread on and off now and all the added links. It has been rather dizzying not well organized, or maybe more like ADD. So far it seem clear that no one box, higher channel version is in the works to support Atmos users. That sucks, you would think their is money in such a new model.
post #150 of 243 Old 10-12-2015, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Had some time to finish my projector mount.

My room is so dark that even with all the lights on, my images came out to dark to see the detail. Maybe bad camera issues. So I edited the brightness.

I think the projector poles added some slight ringing at some frequency. I never noticed it watching a movie but if I tapped the pole it would ring a little. After they were covered I tapped them again and I could tell it silenced that completely.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Done2.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	991289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Done1.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	991297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Done3.jpg
Views:	941