post #211 of 224 Old 12-31-2017, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty6400 View Post
What I would say is dont get burlap. It is nasty looking in person and rough to work with, for my acoustic panels Im going with plain polycotton fire rated. If my room where to catch alight, 12 burlap panels would go on a flash! Something to think about!

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapatalk
I still have 3 panels covered in burlap that I will eventually rip off and recover with the GOM fabric. I agree 100% with Monty here, and in addition burlap made my allergies a bit miserable. It is also difficult to get creases out of, is not pleasant to touch, and does not smell good.

I've actually become a bit more adept with wrapping my sound panals with the GOM fabric. It's a bit like wrapping a Christmas present, but I can pull the fabric tight and uniform and hide a lot when I do it right. And it looks great!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
mkohman and monty6400 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 224 Old 12-31-2017, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
I still have 3 panels covered in burlap that I will eventually rip off and recover with the GOM fabric. I agree 100% with Monty here, and in addition burlap made my allergies a bit miserable. It is also difficult to get creases out of, is not pleasant to touch, and does not smell good.

I've actually become a bit more adept with wrapping my sound panals with the GOM fabric. It's a bit like wrapping a Christmas present, but I can pull the fabric tight and uniform and hide a lot when I do it right. And it looks great!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
From some fourms I assumed it was an equivalent of GOM, but it smells bad yes and is generally a PITA to work with. And j bought 12 meters at 4 quid a meter !

post #213 of 224 Old 12-31-2017, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty6400 View Post
What I would say is dont get burlap. It is nasty looking in person and rough to work with, for my acoustic panels Im going with plain polycotton fire rated. If my room where to catch alight, 12 burlap panels would go on a flash! Something to think about!

Cheers for the tip @monty6400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 224 Old 03-19-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
I just discovered and read through your whole thread tonight. Still enough pictures showing up despite the Photobucket fiasco. Really nice build!!

Do you have any wide shots of the room as it sits today? I know it's still 16% from being done, but it would be really nice to see the room and how you dealt with the duct work on the ceiling. Any plans for Atmos?
post #215 of 224 Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you very much! I recall drooling and learning a ton from your build before I even owned an actual basement; much appreciated!

Once I get the new subs completed and in, and the other side corner curtain up it'll be at 90%. Then my father who is a retired professional photographer will be able to get some better shots than my silly cell phone camera is capable of producing. Soon.
cuzed2 and TMcG like this.
post #216 of 224 Old 03-20-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 533
CedarIron Cinema

Quote:
Thank you very much! I recall drooling and learning a ton from your build before I even owned an actual basement; much appreciated!

Once I get the new subs completed and in, and the other side corner curtain up it'll be at 90%. Then my father who is a retired professional photographer will be able to get some better shots than my silly cell phone camera is capable of producing. Soon.

Max out the iso (finest detail iso100) and the aperture (f2.8) and calc for shutter speed (will be multiple seconds long) on a tripod. That’s how I took my pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #217 of 224 Old 04-15-2018, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Using some of JRock3x8's suggestions, I finally got an OK view; had to move the chairs out of the way and stand as far back as I can to the wall.

This puts me at 85%.

From here, I start buttoning up everything in the front view by hiding everything with black velvet and felt tape. Mother in law will be using her pro seamstress skills with curtains that will attach to the sides and screen bottom. Of course, that will be after the 12s get replaced by the monster 18 boxes in a few weeks. The new enclosures will align perfectly with the screen wall area. Eventually the front will be closed in with black, save for some of the box detail and wooferage.

You won't see my screen hanging hardware, speaker wires, my old Volt 10s (which are travelling with me to MN next weekend to their new owner). You won't see the additional sound treatments behind the screen. There will likely be a bit more barnwood added to the proscenium, hiding the duct trunkline.

Getting there! Getting exciting now, especially with the new subs coming (and the 12s will be for sale soon).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main View.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	2390904  
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #218 of 224 Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Using some of JRock3x8's suggestions, I finally got an OK view; had to move the chairs out of the way and stand as far back as I can to the wall.

This puts me at 85%.

From here, I start buttoning up everything in the front view by hiding everything with black velvet and felt tape. Mother in law will be using her pro seamstress skills with curtains that will attach to the sides and screen bottom. Of course, that will be after the 12s get replaced by the monster 18 boxes in a few weeks. The new enclosures will align perfectly with the screen wall area. Eventually the front will be closed in with black, save for some of the box detail and wooferage.

You won't see my screen hanging hardware, speaker wires, my old Volt 10s (which are travelling with me to MN next weekend to their new owner). You won't see the additional sound treatments behind the screen. There will likely be a bit more barnwood added to the proscenium, hiding the duct trunkline.

Getting there! Getting exciting now, especially with the new subs coming (and the 12s will be for sale soon).

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #219 of 224 Old 05-11-2018, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Hi JCJetta,

Just discovered your thread. Looks like a great theater space you have there. Love the barnwood

Looking forward to seeing the new monster subs. I know the feeling of only being able to put in a couple of hours each week due to other things, but it sounds like you are almost ready to put them to the test? I imagine going from 12" to 18" will have quite an impact on your bass performance. I went from a single 10" ported sub to a 4x15" IB sub and I have never looked back

Keep up the good work!

My Small Home Theater Build
JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
post #220 of 224 Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
I have a wide angle lens (Canon 10-22), a camera that has decent ISO performance (Canon 7D), and a rock solid tripod (Manfrotto with geared head). Do you need me to come by and take some pics

Sean
post #221 of 224 Old 05-22-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke EF View Post
I have a wide angle lens (Canon 10-22), a camera that has decent ISO performance (Canon 7D), and a rock solid tripod (Manfrotto with geared head). Do you need me to come by and take some pics

Sean
ISO doesn't matter - you want to force it to ISO 100. A wide lens and a huge open aperture is what you're looking for. The math is obviously shutter speed which just calc's to whatever the light meter says it needs.
post #222 of 224 Old 05-22-2018, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
ISO doesn't matter - you want to force it to ISO 100. A wide lens and a huge open aperture is what you're looking for. The math is obviously shutter speed which just calc's to whatever the light meter says it needs.
I know. I said ISO because you said "Max out the iso"

Sean
post #223 of 224 Old 05-22-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke EF View Post
I know. I said ISO because you said "Max out the iso"

Sean