New Theater Build in Rental Home - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-2015, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Theater Build in Rental Home

Hello! I just moved into a 3000 sq ft rental home and there is an extra room that we have that we have no idea what to do with so we decided to make it into a reading/library room and a home theater. The thing is that because we are renting, we cannot put wires through walls or anything. It is a huge room at 16'x16'! Attached are some photos of the room. The problem we have is that we have a fan that we have to keep since we don't own the house that comes down 1' 7" off the ceiling. We also have a sliding door and a thin window that have blinds that work which blocks out the light! We want to keep the bookcase that we have in the back of the room still! Do you have any suggestions on what to do in here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3723.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	704082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3722.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	704090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3721.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	704098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3720.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	704106  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-07-2015, 04:50 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5841 Post(s)
Liked: 5407
Keeping the ceiling fan doesn't mean it has to be on the ceiling the whole time, if it is in the way, box it up and reinstall at the end of your lease.

Put the projector on the top shelf of the bookcase

They sell wireless adapters for surround speakers and sub woofers.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-07-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Room acoustics will be a bear in a cube shaped room (I had one in a previous location). Best shot at an even in room frequency response below the Schroeder frequency (transition pt where the room rather than the speakers dominate response) is multiple subwoofers OR near field placement of the sub to the listening position. Welti's research at Harmon suggest four randomly placed in the room will suffice. I had good luck using three.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 763
As far as wiring goes, I've had to set up my HTs in plenty of rental units in the past. While not as clean as running things through walls and stuff, I've always been fine with (A) when carpeted, tucking wires underneath baseboards and running them around the room, and (B) when tiled, throwing down a hudge area rug and just running wire underneath that, with those simple rubber wire covers at the edges so nobody trips over anything (you can more or less color match them to the flooring), and just use stands for the rears/surrounds. Sure, this isn't as clean or ideal as it if it were your own home, but it certainly does the trick while renting!

Per acoustics, I haven't had to set up in a perfectly square room before, but I'm wondering if slapping up rugs on opposing walls could help. Would be easy to do (and non-permanent). Anybody care to chime in on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
control , Crestron , home , theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page