Frederick Home Theater duex - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 85Likes

post #151 of 159 Old 06-03-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Wow wow wow! Replacing an already awesome projector with an even more awesome projector and all we get is a dry statement...?!? You have to give us tech hungry people more than that! What was the reason for changing? Has the picture quality dramatically improved? Tell us man, tell us!

Love your theater, by the way! It’s also very easy to read from your posts that you love it very much yourself (which you should)

My Small Home Theater Build
JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 06-12-2019, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chris View Post
Wow wow wow! Replacing an already awesome projector with an even more awesome projector and all we get is a dry statement...?!? You have to give us tech hungry people more than that! What was the reason for changing? Has the picture quality dramatically improved? Tell us man, tell us!

Love your theater, by the way! It’s also very easy to read from your posts that you love it very much yourself (which you should)
Sorry for the delayed response I forgot to add myself to this thread lol

I went from the RS600 to the LK970 for the laser light and almost 3x the brightness(from 12 ftL to 29-32 ftL). It does not have the deeps blacks, but it looks really good on my screen and the blacks are acceptable to me. Older movies are a little challenging, but with adding a HTPC and Madvr, has helped a lot. News movies like Lucy and Passengers look awesome and super sharp. I am also looking forward to a stable light source with the laser light, until a year or 2 (or 3 haha) down the road, maybe either BenQ gets the picture even better or JVC gets a laser light source near the 10K mark and over 3000 Lumens. I also got this LK970 for an unbelievable price, so I could not pass it up.

The bass traps and panels have helped the sound more than I would have expected and did not take me that long to build.

SOWK and SirMasters have help me a ton with dialing in my theater even better and a huge shout out to them!!

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
BENQ LK970, 180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900/5000, 7.2.4 set up / 8 - MT110SR's / Dual T-18's/HTPC/MadVR
post #153 of 159 Old 06-12-2019, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I can imagine that the increase in lumens is a very nice upgrade. Sounds like you have found HT Nirvana, although we all know we will never fully get there. Even if we have found it, we will make up an(y) excuse to buy new gear if only just to try and see if it’s better than what we already had.

I guess what I’m trying to say is “enjoy my friend, enjoy”!

My Small Home Theater Build
JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 159 Old 06-13-2019, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Room is looking killer!

Happen to have any more details/links/pics you can provide on the DIY bass trap? I'm planning to build a couple before too long.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #155 of 159 Old 06-13-2019, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chris View Post
I can imagine that the increase in lumens is a very nice upgrade. Sounds like you have found HT Nirvana, although we all know we will never fully get there. Even if we have found it, we will make up an(y) excuse to buy new gear if only just to try and see if it’s better than what we already had.

I guess what I’m trying to say is “enjoy my friend, enjoy”!

Thanks! We are never fully "complete" haha.

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
BENQ LK970, 180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900/5000, 7.2.4 set up / 8 - MT110SR's / Dual T-18's/HTPC/MadVR
post #156 of 159 Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit? View Post
Room is looking killer!

Happen to have any more details/links/pics you can provide on the DIY bass trap? I'm planning to build a couple before too long.

The bass traps I made in the pic is 8ft tall. (I should have made a video haha). You can make them any height you want. I also made 5ft ones and stacked them since my walls in the front under the soffits are almost 10 ft high.

I used MDF boards for the base and top(you could use plywood also)

The dimensions you want are 17x17x24 triangle. I used 1x4's (4 of them and try to find ones that are as straight as you can get, it will make the build way easier) and then put in 2 middle pieces as you can see in the pic on the other page, so the Rockwool safe and sound doesn't crush too much. Just measure 17" each way, then draw the triangle. The long angle will be exactly 24.02" haha.

I first cut the base/top. Then you take 2 1x4's and finish nail them together on a 90 deg angle the long way

Then nail(you could screw them in also, but it would be harder being only 3/4" thick) then to the base and top.

Once you have that, then nail in the side 1x4's. The little triangle you have left on the base next to the 1x4's, I just cut off with a saw.

The reason I made the traps 17x17x24 is that the Rockwood safe and sound batts are 46.5" long. Each batt will make exactly 6 triangles and zero waste

Best way to cut the insulation is with a electric knife turkey cutter(don't tell my wife haha). You want the insulation in firm, but to NOT pack it in so tight as to squeeze the insulation down.

You can use any wrap you want. GOM, Stereo speaker cover fabric, even black fabric from Walmart. I also stapled the back with window screen, so no insulation can get out the back.

Once you get the hand of it, it goes pretty fast. I built all the bass traps and side panels in 2 days

4fit? and feistyacorn like this.

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
post #157 of 159 Old 06-13-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thanks, I really appreciate the detailed response. That is pretty much exactly how I had planned it in my head. I have an angle where the wall meets the ceiling that I have to deal with. But it shouldn't be too tough to overcome.

Did you use the Safe and Sound for your panels too? Use 1x4s to create an airgap? I'm planning to build six or so of those as well.

post #158 of 159 Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit? View Post
Thanks, I really appreciate the detailed response. That is pretty much exactly how I had planned it in my head. I have an angle where the wall meets the ceiling that I have to deal with. But it shouldn't be too tough to overcome.

Did you use the Safe and Sound for your panels too? Use 1x4s to create an airgap? I'm planning to build six or so of those as well.

Yes. I made them exactly 24"x48". It fits exactly 1 1/2 batts of safe and sound.

I put them on the wall attached the middle bracket you see on the back of the panel. I attached a 1x2 then a 1x4 on the middle bracket to make a downward L then then did the exact same on the wall with an upward L and they fit together perfect. I also put 2 little piece of wood on the bottom, so the panel stayed straight from front to back

Yes they are off the wall 1 1/2" for the air gap, makes for even more absorption

4fit? and feistyacorn like this.

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
post #159 of 159 Old 06-28-2019, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had the opportunity to buy 3 Seaton Catalyst 12c's from my LCR channels at great deal and Immaculate condition from a Wisconsin member.

I replaced my PSA MTM 210's

Of course when I built my theater, I built it a little too unique, so only that only size speaker would fit. Hence my 3 day project that took about 20 hours to complete. They are an incredible speakers and sound warm, inviting but powerful as heck!!! Here are some remodeling pics of the job

I had to redo behind the screen, I lowered the speakers, ran a new 20 amp line with each having an outlet, since they are powered speakers and 3 - 75ft XLR cables.

From this on Tuesday:

To this over 3 days:

Thanks to my buddy for helping lift those 116lb Beasts into place!!

All cleaned up and back to movie watching

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page