What is a better investment? A car or a home theater? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
The number one cause of death of young men of every nationality is stupidity. The best you can say here is that this idiot won't get to pass his stupid genes on to another generation.
That's mostly the problem with society today. Stupid is allowed to reproduce and pass on...

In previous times there was no social assistance, government, or society to help or protect so natural selection dominated.

People should own their actions.

I'l totally for removing every safety label, government mandated warning and letting nature sort it out. Do you really need that warning label on a pack of smokes anymore? Or the picture warning on the table saw that says keep fingers away ?

I mean some things are dangerous. I used a chainsaw all weekend cutting trees, I never read the manual or paid attention to the silly warning label. Some stuff you just know- it's common sense. I don't need the warning label on my table saw to know to keep my fingers away from the blade and be careful.

you can't fix stupid.
dreamer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
This might shed some light on the topic:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...2-3-years.html
adambmoodie likes this.
post #33 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Had both simultaneously: Nissan GTR and home theater with SIM2 3-chip, Panamorph, Stewart 11'screen, leather tiered seats. Sold the GTR after 3 years for almost what I paid for it. Sold house 5 years after the HT was completed and got ZERO premium for the HT. Tracked the GTR, watched a lot of HT. Enjoyed both for what they were. HT attracted relatives. GTR attracted young guys. GTR attracted me for it's track ability--won my class at the Texas Mile in 2010. If I were looking for a chick-bait car, would have used my wife's red convertible M-B SLK 350. Every time I fueled it, any nearby woman would compliment the car--I always said my wife only lets me drive it when it needs gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
If I were looking for a chick-bait car, would have used my wife's red convertible M-B SLK 350.
If you want to attract women drive a Rolls.
post #35 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 09:10 AM

If you can only attract women with a car- try hitting the gym, changing your clothes, and gaining some self confidence. It will save you a ton of cash too...

Oh and if you need a fancy car to get a girl- you probably don't want that girl in the first place. Hookers are cheaper than divorce.
post #36 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 09:14 AM

I wonder why the OP needed a separate thread vs just posting the same question in the Nissan vs HT thread (since the car's MSRP is 100K )?
post #37 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 09:24 AM

I'm wondering why someone needs the interwebs to tell them how to spend 100k....
post #38 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Build the Home Theater, buy a PS4, XBox One, and build a really nice gaming PC. Get a 4K projector. Play CARS, and any other driving based game. Setup a steering wheel with a custom racing chair from the manufacturer of your choice.

You can now drive any car you desire, while hanging out in your home theater!
post #39 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 10:09 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5545 Post(s)
Liked: 5138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
gaining some self confidence
A very attractive co-worker once told me that redneck foreplay is driving up in a pickup, rolling down the window and saying "jump up in my truck, bitch" Think about it.
post #40 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6613 Post(s)
Liked: 7687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
One could accomplish both with $100K

Absolutely. Buy a Nissan Z ( I have a 350Z ) and put $45K into the theater, and $15K into fine wine to drink while you watch movies ! Actually, I have a bit more than that in the wine cellar.................

While I like my car, my home theater has provided hundreds more hours of fun with dozens of friends, for the last 8+ years. There is no comparison !

post #41 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
A very attractive co-worker once told me that redneck foreplay is driving up in a pickup, rolling down the window and saying "jump up in my truck, bitch" Think about it.
It makes perfect sense. I only wish I knew then what I know now about women... (meaning when I was younger and single).

I think it's the sad fact or God's irony that men tend to learn these kind of things about the point where they no longer need to know them anymore.

Women like men with self confidence. Contrary to popular opinion most women don't like ultra buff, in shape, or metrosexual men because the high physical appearance and standards of the man make the woman self conscious about herself. There is a perfect line between in shape/ not too fat and if you deviate too far in either direction it's bad from a physical attraction standpoint. Women inherently lack more self confidence about their appearance than men do, and they care more about how they look themselves than men do too. If you can figure out any possible ways to make this problem go away, make is smaller, or make women feel more attractive you instantly becomes more attractive to women and will find it easier to get women or keep them.

Generally women like men with a decent amount of self confidence and that make them feel attractive and also make them laugh. It's like basic science that's never taught anywhere.

I can see the joke but also the truth in the redneck foreplay.

Healthy amount of self confidence + make women feel attractive + make women laugh > $100k sports car, Big mansion, bank acounts etc...

Very little need to over compensate if you can figure this out. Save the money, spend it together or with your family/kids you'll be much richer in they ways it matters to be rich in life. You'll be happier too. All the material things can't make you happy if you are lonely, or you or your loved ones have bad health. The fact you can share a theater with family and friends easier than share a car makes it a smarter investment IMO.
post #42 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 10:52 AM

Oh and you don't want to know or understand too much about women either. Just enough. Women understand women, and they all hate each other.
post #43 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
The fact you can share a theater with family and friends easier than share a car makes it a smarter investment IMO.
Bingo! and this is probably the only reason I am going to spend the money on the theater. I can even let my kids enjoy it on their own with friends. Not sure I would toss the keys to the Ferrari to one of my kids when they are in high school.
post #44 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Absolutely. Buy a Nissan Z ( I have a 350Z ) and put $45K into the theater, and $15K into fine wine to drink while you watch movies !
LOL! I also resemble that remark... Bought a used, low-mileage, pristine 370z in December. Fits easily under the theater... Let the other guy take the 40% depreciation for 2.4 years of use.

I don't want to do the wine inventory, as it will scare me.

Quote:
While I like my car, my home theater has provided hundreds more hours of fun with dozens of friends, for the last 8+ years. There is no comparison !
Yep, "passengers" in the theater have just as much fun as the "driver", a lot more of them fit in at one time, and everyone can enjoy that wine simultaneously!

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #45 of 49 Old 05-19-2015, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
for me i would cut the 100k to about 30k - have a decent vw (like i have) and have a decent theater - though i would like to say that i would enjoy the 70k for other things but it would not exist like that any way....man if i did not have 6 kiddos i bet i could consider this 100k issue :-)

Last edited by iamjason; 05-19-2015 at 05:28 PM.
post #46 of 49 Old 05-21-2015, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The only 1 time I had 100k together, it was a portion of the down payment on my house. Why this is even posted I have no idea. OP will have both but just maybe not at the same time. Maybe.
post #47 of 49 Old 05-21-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervepf View Post
Why this is even posted .
same reason ppl take selfies
post #48 of 49 Old 05-21-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
same reason ppl take selfies
Hahaha. I laffed. So true...
post #49 of 49 Old 05-21-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
If you want to attract women drive a Rolls.
Not sure anyone I know would be attracted by a Rolls, but the wallet behind it might be an incentive. To some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post
Play CARS, and any other driving based game. Setup a steering wheel with a custom racing chair from the manufacturer of your choice.

You can now drive any car you desire, while hanging out in your home theater!
...and not get killed doing stupid things (unless putting live wires in the mouth)

Quote:
Oh and you don't want to know or understand too much about women either. Just enough. Women understand women, and they all hate each other.

Where's that live wire when you need one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post
for me i would cut the 100k to about 30k
If I spent more than $6K on my system I would feel that I had wasted so much money. Of all the things to spend money on, sitting in the dark oscillating eardrums and retinas seems sort of dumb, even worse if also oscillating the rear end. I mean, really?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page