Dynamat Dynabox anyone used one ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 06-01-2015, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Dynamat Dynabox anyone used one ?

with atmos...all the rage...with retro fitting in ceiling speakers, considering using the dynamat dynabox product.

http://www.dynamat.com/architectural...-home-dynabox/

one question if you pop this enclosure into the ceiling...

then pop the speaker in...how is the cable supposed to go from the speaker ...out of this dynabox into the ceiling cavity ?

or is it expected to make a hole in the dynabox...which would defeat the purpose I would have thought? i.e. making it sound tight ?

anyone used these things ?

is there any other alternative retrofittable for ceiling speakers without a back box ?

and please no suggestions to rip down my ceiling and install back boxes...

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)

Last edited by alebonau; 06-01-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 06-01-2015, 04:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5096
that rubber floppy thing is better than nothing, not sure how they want you to wire it up, probably through a small hole sealed with silicon.

the alternative is to use any inwall/ceiling speaker that comes with an integrated back enclosure, then you just have to worry about sealing the perimeter.

Here is one company with the right idea.

https://www.bealestreetaudio.com/pro...eakers/ic8-bb/

but there are others.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 06-01-2015 at 04:17 AM.
post #3 of 42 Old 06-01-2015, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
that rubber floppy thing is better than nothing, not sure how they want you to wire it up, probably through a small hole sealed with silicon.

the alternative is to use any inwall/ceiling speaker that comes with an integrated back enclosure, then you just have to worry about sealing the perimeter.
thanks BMDC, the brand am looking to match up with dont come with back boxes that I know...apparently you can buy after market, 3rd party ones...which can be retrofitted ...which brought me to these dynabox things.

do the back enclosures on speakers that come with them (typically plastic or metal) provide much in way of prevention of sound leakage into the ceiling space ?

have a ceiling cavity between living room where the system is ...and bedrooms upstairs. its why looking at what there is out there as back boxes for the in ceiling speakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 06-01-2015, 04:24 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

how is your ceiling constructed, insulation? clips/channel extra Drywall etc? If normal residential construction those speakers with back boxes are probably equal in sound containment to the rest of the ceiling

If you want to up your game you could build a backer box with a lip, then cut a rectangular hole and mount the box with the lip below the ceiling surface. Then cover the speaker and lip with a fabric panel, Yes it will stick down, you could hide it in a cloud or put a field of fabric/acoustical panels on the ceiling to make it blend in.
alebonau likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 06-01-2015 at 04:29 AM.
post #5 of 42 Old 06-01-2015, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
how is your ceiling constructed, insulation? clips/channel extra Drywall etc? If normal residential construction those speakers with back boxes are probably equal in sound containment to the rest of the ceiling

If you want to up your game you could build a backer box with a lip, then cut a rectangular hole and mount the box with the lip below the ceiling surface. Then cover the speaker and lip with a fabric panel, Yes it will stick down, you could hide it in a cloud or put a field of fabric/acoustical panels on the ceiling to make it blend in.
hey bmdc, typical for oz...drywall...cavity mdc which is the floor above, carpet insulation and carpet over that in floor above. thats it. I'm getting away with ht listening at my typical levels of -21db right now...kids sleep happily above ...in other end of the house...

if I install ceiling speakers....want to maintain that as much as possible

post #6 of 42 Old 06-05-2015, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

quoting Brian B's response from another thread, I do hope he gets to elaborate further,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
It's a bit off topic for this thread, so I'll try to keep it brief. I have not actually used in a client's house, but have "played" with the product. It seems to be an excellent solution for a retro-fit where an enclosure is needed and ripping open the ceiling is not an option. If you are willing to open the ceiling then I would just build something to "enclose" the speaker and use your choice of deadening material. The dynamat product was really cool in that you can roll it up, shove it in the ceiling and it is fairly heavy duty. I'd say it is almost the hardness/heaviness of the rubber used in a ball you'd use for dodgeball as a child (and possibly a little heavier like a basketball). Personally, I would use the same brand (for tonal matching) regardless of what anyone else says, so if this is a workable solution I'd do it.

B.
thankyou Brian, I do think it seems quite an interesting product I really appreciate your info. Yes ripping ceiling apart really not an option, we just finished renovating…I know if I even knew, had the inclination I could have done speakers back then…but such is how things pan out.

but yes it seems a good option where retro fitting…

I do want to use the same brand speakers too. have a nice system and would seem shame to upset the balance with so many am talking as many as 5 other brand speakers in the mix. plus also don't want to upset the integrity of the room too much. making 5 holes in the ceiling is bad enough but want to try best I can with retro fit solution for in ceiling speakers.

I think I saw a video somewhere indicating the effectiveness of the dynabox…I'll try find…certainly indicated how effective a solute it is

again I have high respect for the companies products in the past so also hoping someone whom has tried it will also report back

Last edited by alebonau; 06-05-2015 at 05:48 PM.
post #7 of 42 Old 06-05-2015, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Or you can construct your own back box. MDF, drywall/MLV, decoupling, special sauce, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun go a long way!

Last edited by SierraMikeBravo; 06-05-2015 at 09:53 PM.
post #8 of 42 Old 06-06-2015, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post
Or you can construct your own back box. MDF, drywall/MLV, decoupling, special sauce, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun go a long way!
would have to pull down the ceiling though yeah for 5 constructed back boxes to be retro fitted to a ceiling space

I guess thats where the dynamat dynabox comes in, keen to hear of those with experience using it or experience with the product

this the video demo from cedia 2013

post #9 of 42 Old 06-06-2015, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

also appears to be a similar product call a russ sound flexbox in ceiling back box

not sure still available or whether anyone is using something similar

post #10 of 42 Old 06-06-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
Quote:

would have to pull down the ceiling though yeah for 5 constructed back boxes to be retro fitted to a ceiling space

I guess thats where the dynamat dynabox comes in, keen to hear of those with experience using it or experience with the product

this the video demo from cedia 2013
And you wouldn't for the dynamat box? I have experienced the box you speak of. Ir works fine, but don't expect miracles out of it.
alebonau likes this.
post #11 of 42 Old 06-06-2015, 09:57 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

you can build your own backer boxes and you don't have to rip open the ceiling to install it. Just put a lip around the box and mount the lip to the surface of the drywall. This was a rear surround we sunk in the wall to save walkway space at the rear but you could do it on the ceiling. Then you just build a fabric frame around the lip and maybe even integrate it in a cloud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	759689  
alebonau likes this.
post #12 of 42 Old 06-06-2015, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I

And you wouldn't for the dynamat box? I have experienced the box you speak of. Ir works fine, but don't expect miracles out of it.
hi smb, yes benefit is you dont have to pull ceiling down. the dynabox rolls up stick in the hole for the speaker, expand it out and then put the speaker in the hole. or so I understand it.... a flexible back box without having to pull ceiling

thankyou for the feed back on the unit

post #13 of 42 Old 06-06-2015, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
you can build your own backer boxes and you don't have to rip open the ceiling to install it. Just put a lip around the box and mount the lip to the surface of the drywall. This was a rear surround we sunk in the wall to save walkway space at the rear but you could do it on the ceiling. Then you just build a fabric frame around the lip and maybe even integrate it in a cloud.
thanks BMDC like the look of that

would certainly give a decent enclosure for the in ceiling speaker. imagine would have to put in a baffle on the front to mount the in ceiling speaker into. also line the cabinet as would a regular speaker cabinet

if sunk a cabinet into the ceiling, can I ask the need for the lip ? I guess makes a lot more visible rather than just a more discrete looking in ceiling speaker thats all ? is the lip to hold the rest of the ceiling around it ? just wondering if any ways around that.

I could sink the box into the ceiling space screw it to floor above, that will hold the box in place. just matter of securing ceiling around it then I guess.

post #14 of 42 Old 06-06-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

^^^^. That is what I was eluding to. You still have to cut a hole in the ceiling for the DynaMat Box anyway. The one flaw I see is that you may not get a good deal for the dynabox allowing leakage. The MDF is likely a better, more secure back box. Just cover with fabric or speaker grill.
post #15 of 42 Old 06-06-2015, 04:18 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
I could sink the box into the ceiling space screw it to floor above
you wouldn't want to screw it to the floor above if the ceiling is decoupled.
post #16 of 42 Old 06-07-2015, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
you wouldn't want to screw it to the floor above if the ceiling is decoupled.
regular ceiling not decoupled, still a good point perhaps likes of whisper clips/ resilient clips needed if doing that sort of thisng. same with ceiling if being attached to speaker boxes via clips would be better option

post #17 of 42 Old 06-07-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Dynamat Dynabox and that Russound product don't do much for low frequencies, the ones you hear upstairs. STC ratings were developed for higher frequencies, where products which you can purchase perform well.

But, no simple solution will do that.

You could try 1 or 2, to see how they do (or don't), before you buy the lot. Only hurts the wallet, to give it a shot.

A small hole in the Dynabox won't make a difference.

I considered Dynabox for a location, and decided not to use them. I have no personal experience with them.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #18 of 42 Old 06-08-2015, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Dynamat Dynabox and that Russound product don't do much for low frequencies, the ones you hear upstairs. STC ratings were developed for higher frequencies, where products which you can purchase perform well.

But, no simple solution will do that.

You could try 1 or 2, to see how they do (or don't), before you buy the lot. Only hurts the wallet, to give it a shot.

A small hole in the Dynabox won't make a difference.

I considered Dynabox for a location, and decided not to use them. I have no personal experience with them.
neorad, I guess I was only considering the dynabox because the range of speakers looking at dont come in sealed/backbox versions. if we are talking to low freq are any of the sealed ceiling speakers and am talking to the thin plastic/metal rear casing really going to stop low freq ? I wouldn't have thought so.

with low freq any ceiling speaker like my other surrounds likely going to be running a xover at 80z or so.

you make a good point to try a couple ....see the effect. rather than investing in 5 of them which is expensive where I am

post #19 of 42 Old 09-08-2015, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
neorad, I guess I was only considering the dynabox because the range of speakers looking at dont come in sealed/backbox versions. if we are talking to low freq are any of the sealed ceiling speakers and am talking to the thin plastic/metal rear casing really going to stop low freq ? I wouldn't have thought so.

with low freq any ceiling speaker like my other surrounds likely going to be running a xover at 80z or so.

you make a good point to try a couple ....see the effect. rather than investing in 5 of them which is expensive where I am

Alebonau - I am currently in the same position you were. I have purchased my in-ceiling speakers for my Atmos pre/pro but they did not come with rear enclosures. I have inquired with my speaker manufacturer and they have recommended the Dynabox product to me. I am wondering if you went this route, and if so, what is your satisfaction level?

~ Mike
alebonau likes this.
post #20 of 42 Old 09-08-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Just build your own backer boxes............simple weekend project.

You can isolate and dampen all you want using these IB-3 clips........disregard diagram.

post #21 of 42 Old 09-09-2015, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Just build your own backer boxes............simple weekend project.

You can isolate and dampen all you want using these IB-3 clips........disregard diagram.

thanks, if were redoing my ceiling...definitely I would

post #22 of 42 Old 09-09-2015, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post
Alebonau - I am currently in the same position you were. I have purchased my in-ceiling speakers for my Atmos pre/pro but they did not come with rear enclosures. I have inquired with my speaker manufacturer and they have recommended the Dynabox product to me. I am wondering if you went this route, and if so, what is your satisfaction level?

~ Mike
mike I spoke to a lot and I mean a lot of industry people here to get their thoughts...all installers I have spoken to here have told me outright in my situation i.e. where a ceiling cavity above and bedrooms upstairs that

no1 I must use a back box

no 2 resoundingly they have all suggested the dynabox for a retro fit into existing ceiling.

they all use it here and without in any house and system like mine with rooms above. And very effective they say.

it is not the cheapest way to go...but cheaper than ripping down my ceiling...and installing new back boxes and replacing the ceiling.

so I ordered a couple of in ceiling speakers and a couple of the dynaboxes ...thinking I would just install a pair of atmos speakers and go from there.

have since realised though to get my cables around through the ceiling, it would probably actually help to install all four atmos ceiling surrounds ...so probably going to do this in stage..

pick up the in 2 ceiling surrounds and dynaboxes maybe tomorrow ...

but I think will sit on them for another couple of months still can buy the other two

post #23 of 42 Old 09-09-2015, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
mike I spoke to a lot and I mean a lot of industry people here to get their thoughts...all installers I have spoken to here have told me outright in my situation i.e. where a ceiling cavity above and bedrooms upstairs that

no1 I must use a back box

no 2 resoundingly they have all suggested the dynabox for a retro fit into existing ceiling.

they all use it here and without in any house and system like mine with rooms above. And very effective they say.

it is not the cheapest way to go...but cheaper than ripping down my ceiling...and installing new back boxes and replacing the ceiling.

so I ordered a couple of in ceiling speakers and a couple of the dynaboxes ...thinking I would just install a pair of atmos speakers and go from there.

have since realised though to get my cables around through the ceiling, it would probably actually help to install all four atmos ceiling surrounds ...so probably going to do this in stage..

pick up the in 2 ceiling surrounds and dynaboxes maybe tomorrow ...

but I think will sit on them for another couple of months still can buy the other two

Seems like it must be the way to go. Since sending my first post off inquiring into your current situation I have re-confirmed with my speaker manufacturer for in-ceiling speakers (Atlantic Technology) and they again tell me that the Dynabox is the way to go. So I've ordered two Dynabox's thru Amazon and will see what they look like when they arrive next week.

Good luck with your project,

~ Mike
alebonau likes this.
post #24 of 42 Old 09-10-2015, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post
Seems like it must be the way to go. Since sending my first post off inquiring into your current situation I have re-confirmed with my speaker manufacturer for in-ceiling speakers (Atlantic Technology) and they again tell me that the Dynabox is the way to go. So I've ordered two Dynabox's thru Amazon and will see what they look like when they arrive next week.

Good luck with your project,

~ Mike
mike am not surprised in atlantic techs response...

my 1st step taken for atmos,

with picking up a pair of focal in ceilings, and dynamat dynaboxes,

also put a deposit on some focal chorus rears to replace my sub sonics I run back there. if am going to lower my rear speakers I might as well take as opportunity to match up with rest of my focal speakers.

in another months time will likely pick up another set of focal in ceilings and dynaboxes as I figured out to install the first set it will actually help to install the next set at the same time to run my cables through the ceiling !

looking at the moment hopefully over christmas break at latest to have all setup and going..if not earlier if funds and time permits !
65Goat likes this.

post #25 of 42 Old 04-01-2016, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

just posting back following my 3D audio speakers going in,

I used the focal IC1002 electra in ceiling speakers,

holes prepared,

Dynabox,

as comes in the box,

unboxed, these have some heft, quite solid things….super impressed with the quality of them,
]

super impressed with the design of them, though quite solid…being a composite design, remove the removable backing and then the internal side walls and the are flexible enough to retrofit into a existing ceiling space. once in place, replace the internal backing and internal side wall and its solid rigid box inside the cavity with enough flexibility to work around the odd thing might encounter in a ceiling space.

dynabox in ceiling cavity ready to accept a speaker,

speaker in postion

end result

The dynaboxes, I would now see as a must do for any in ceiling speaker installation. To check their efficiency I cranked bailando that is an atmos rich track on the atmos demo disc. Put volume on -10db and went upstairs to check. In my daughters room other end its a very distant dull beat only which is fantastic. In our room directly above its slightly audible but very pleased to say switching the amp off driving these speakers clearly indicated these speakers not sending any sound above ie it's not like have the speakers blaring in the ceiling space which is what they would be like without these backboxes. So highly recommended and a must do !

post #26 of 42 Old 07-10-2016, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
just posting back following my 3D audio speakers going in,

I used the focal IC1002 electra in ceiling speakers,

holes prepared,

Dynabox,

as comes in the box,

unboxed, these have some heft, quite solid things….super impressed with the quality of them,
]

super impressed with the design of them, though quite solid…being a composite design, remove the removable backing and then the internal side walls and the are flexible enough to retrofit into a existing ceiling space. once in place, replace the internal backing and internal side wall and its solid rigid box inside the cavity with enough flexibility to work around the odd thing might encounter in a ceiling space.

dynabox in ceiling cavity ready to accept a speaker,

speaker in postion

end result

The dynaboxes, I would now see as a must do for any in ceiling speaker installation. To check their efficiency I cranked bailando that is an atmos rich track on the atmos demo disc. Put volume on -10db and went upstairs to check. In my daughters room other end its a very distant dull beat only which is fantastic. In our room directly above its slightly audible but very pleased to say switching the amp off driving these speakers clearly indicated these speakers not sending any sound above ie it's not like have the speakers blaring in the ceiling space which is what they would be like without these backboxes. So highly recommended and a must do !
Any update or other users that have used this?

I have a theater room with a double rocked ceiling using green glue. It does a pretty good job of containing the sound, but now I'm considering cutting into it for atmos speakers.

My fear is the living room above. I want to keep the sound contained.
post #27 of 42 Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Works a treat no question ...

With Kids sleeping above ... We watch movies downstairs happily

I do believe also serves as a proper speaker enclosure which most in ceiling speakers don't come with.

An ideal retro fit solution as well
post #28 of 42 Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Works a treat no question ...

With Kids sleeping above ... We watch movies downstairs happily

I do believe also serves as a proper speaker enclosure which most in ceiling speakers don't come with.

An ideal retro fit solution as well
I am thinking about using these for my atmos speakers in my condo. Currently I just have R-15 insulation teepeed over my B&W CCM682 speakers. My only concern is that my ceiling consists of metal beams and and metal cross bars going forward and across. I have the height not sure how flat they would fit in the ceiling. What did you use to hold down the dynabox, I saw in the instructions silicone or contractors glue. Do the box have to lay completely flat in the ceiling or can they float and just have the opening glued down? can the boxes be scrunched up in a tight spot? knock on wood I have not had any complaints from neighbors i am just trying to contain the sound and make it more tight. I have read that in ceiling speakers can sound muddy if back boxes are not used.

Thanks for any insight since you have done the install already.

dave-t
post #29 of 42 Old 02-01-2018, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Dave-T;55507210]~ What did you use to hold down the dynabox, I saw in the instructions silicone or contractors glue. Do the box have to lay completely flat in the ceiling or can they float and just have the opening glued down? ~/QUOTE]

dave, i spoke to the shop that sold it to me and the installer there who uses them in every job. you can use a light thin bead of silicone around the edge only. but it is not totally necessary since the box is quite flat and solid in laying flat and the way the speakers fit in is they clamp down from the inside the dynabox to the ceiling so its not going anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Do the box have to lay completely flat in the ceiling or can they float and just have the opening glued down? can the boxes be scrunched up in a tight spot? knock on wood I have not had any complaints from neighbors i am just trying to contain the sound and make it more tight. I have read that in ceiling speakers can sound muddy if back boxes are not used.

Thanks for any insight since you have done the install already.

dave-t
dave being flexible they have a bit of give. eg in the very last speaker i installed there was a bit of stuff around where the dynabox was going. no probs it just moulded itself in there once placed. within limits though as they are still quite solid thick walled and internally lined. so no you cant squish them into half the space they need or something. but there is a bit of give unlike what would not get wiht solid inflexible box.

i get a nice clean tight sound with the back boxes. no leakage into ceiling space so as result sound not travelling through ceiling space through rest of the house. also the speakers them selves are protected from their open backs and to the in ceiling area which can be dusty and exposed to what not.

post #30 of 42 Old 02-01-2018, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Thanks appreciate the info and you getting back to me. I ended up making my own back boxes out of dense rigid foam board and assembled them in the ceiling. So far they are working great. i did the whole project for $32.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction