Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #31 of 141 Old 04-15-2016, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Aerumas well done its starting to come together! We have similar setups and are nearly at the same point in our builds. My clips/channel were just delivered. I have to admit I am jealous of your room width, that is nice.

Subscribed!

PS - If you get a moment stop by my build thread; its crickets over there and needs a shot in the arm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 141 Old 04-15-2016, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Thanks Diggs! Our rooms are quite similar. I plan on building walls tomorrow. Hopefully we can get most if not all of them up so we can begin running power and conduit next. I'm still up in the air on running conduit for all my speakers or just run the speaker wire itself... I do like the possibilities for changes down the road with conduit.

I still have some big lighting decisions to make and then columns to plan out as well. I plan to recess my columns a bit into the wall so that I can get the depth I need for side speakers and surrounds but yet not eat up too much into the room. Anyways... a lot to do and even more to plan out... but tomorrow is all about getting those walls up! Hopefully I'll be posting some nice update pictures tomorrow evening.
post #33 of 141 Old 04-15-2016, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Trying to catch up, you are using clips on the walls right? Ted explained to me I can get away with clips just on the ceiling and soffits. The stud walls around the perimeter of my theater are already decoupled from The concrete foundation walls. Even though they are decoupled I had concerns that the sound would transfer through the wall studs up into the floor joists as I did not use the IB 3 clips. Not sure what to expect but Ted seems to think it will be all right all things considered…

What he doesn't like is my plan to use a boatload of recess lights below the ductwork in my soffits. I'm going to be building backer boxes like a madman ha ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 141 Old 04-15-2016, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerumas View Post
Thanks Diggs! Our rooms are quite similar. I plan on building walls tomorrow. Hopefully we can get most if not all of them up so we can begin running power and conduit next. I'm still up in the air on running conduit for all my speakers or just run the speaker wire itself... I do like the possibilities for changes down the road with conduit.

I still have some big lighting decisions to make and then columns to plan out as well. I plan to recess my columns a bit into the wall so that I can get the depth I need for side speakers and surrounds but yet not eat up too much into the room. Anyways... a lot to do and even more to plan out... but tomorrow is all about getting those walls up! Hopefully I'll be posting some nice update pictures tomorrow evening.
For no more trouble than the conduit may be it may be worth it. I only ran conduit for my HDMI cable to upgrade down the road in the case that HDMI is replaced by newer tech. Do you plan to test all of your low-voltage wiring after you place it? Mine is all in place But not sure if I should test as some runs are pretty long and intersect power feeds at points...

Lights were the hardest decision I had to make and still somewhat back-and-forth on them. I chose to go with recessed as I have soffits on all four sides of my theater. Strictly personal preference here...

Get those walls done!
post #35 of 141 Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well last Saturday we got one wall up and then had other things that evening. We intended on building more walls on Sunday but then we had one of the worst days of our lives. Our furry boy had a seizure and passed away early around 5am. His name was Parker and he was 14 years old. We were truly blessed to have him for so long and he definitely brought a lot of joy into our lives. We miss him terribly.

We got our Soundproofing Company order in on Tuesday and then looked forward to the weekend to get some building time.

Today we managed to get back into the theater building zone and completed all but one of the last double walls. The last wall should be one of the easiest with only two doorways to contend with, while the others we worked today had windows and such to work around.

The double windows will have heavy plugs installed into them and our acoustical treatments will go over them... I was considering boarding over them completely but didn't want to hurt resell value should the day ever come that we needed to move. Also I have to mention those IB-3 clips from Soundproofing Company... those things are awesome! Its amazing how well they work and when installed correctly the walls are sturdy as any others.

Anyways we hope to get the last wall up tomorrow and then we can work on electrical, HVAC, and built in speaker boxes for the surrounds and atmos speakers.
ddigler likes this.
post #36 of 141 Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Sorry to hear about your furry beast. We lost our 14 year old puppy a few weeks ago, I had to watch her go through what felt like a 5min seizure a few days before and it was so tough to watch.
post #37 of 141 Old 04-23-2016, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

The last double wall is up! Man did it have a lot of querks to it with the stairs and HVAC in the way. Not to mention we also changed the furnace area from two doors down to one... the less doors in and out of the "sound shell", the better.

Next up we are moving onto electrical, conduit and HVAC... then comes so much insulation... going to be an itchy itchy few days!
post #38 of 141 Old 04-25-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The last double wall is up! Man did it have a lot of querks to it with the stairs and HVAC in the way. Not to mention we also changed the furnace area from two doors down to one... the less doors in and out of the "sound shell", the better.

Next up we are moving onto electrical, conduit and HVAC... then comes so much insulation... going to be an itchy itchy few days!
Nice stuff walls look good! Your going to love this when its done!
post #39 of 141 Old 07-10-2016, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Back at it!

So the past 2.5 months have been ridiculously crazy. Celebrated 5 years with the Mrs., replaced two roofs (not ours, and wow does that work suck), got a new pup, bought a new truck, business trip to Ohio, followed by a vacation to PA and NJ, and last but not least moved a friend from his apartment to his new house. But...

We have been squeaking in some theater work here and there. One of the bigger tasks was moving the fresh air feed for the furnace, it was smack dab in the middle of the bar room ceiling where we had lights planned so it had to move. Luckily moving it benefit the beer/wine room by allowing more headroom with it now moved.

Built some speaker boxes and ran a lot of speaker wire.

Ran almost all of the electrical and tried out a few sconces we wanted to get for the theater and the bar, the left one is for the bar and the right for the theater. Right now they are just a test setup in the utility storage area so we could make sure which ones we liked with what type/brightness of bulb.

We framed in a room to the side of the theater that will be our beer/wine room... got to have a place to put my kegerator!

We also put the ice and water shield on the cold air return runs to dampen the sound and installed the clips up on the ceiling in prep for the hat channel.

Next up is the last of the electrical and then insulation! Bought what I need from the local shop for insulation so its just sitting around waiting for me to get the last of the electrical installed.

For good measure here's the new truck (blue one is mine, the black is my dad's he bought last year).

And the new pup with our two year old on the porch. The two year old is great pyranese - English mastiff mix and the new pup is great pyranese - St. Bernard mix.

femi, PTAaron, UK Dreamer and 1 others like this.
post #40 of 141 Old 07-10-2016, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Solid progress in here.

Have you settled on a lighting scheme? (full disclosure, I'm fishing for ideas for my space. )
post #41 of 141 Old 07-10-2016, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

We're going fairly traditional by doing sconces on the columns around the room (there will be 8), led lighting strips around the soffit in crown molding, and some spot lights up front on the screen. The nice part about the wiring we've done is it sets up the sconces to be controlled in pairs so that if we want some low light in the back of the theater we can do that. All to be controlled by an Insteon switch.
post #42 of 141 Old 07-11-2016, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #43 of 141 Old 07-11-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like your lighting plan. I am going to look into that Insteon switch. Someone in the Automation subform recommended using a Lutron Caseta set up to control lights. Man, I have a lot to learn about automation and lighting.
post #44 of 141 Old 07-11-2016, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
I like your lighting plan. I am going to look into that Insteon switch. Someone in the Automation subform recommended using a Lutron Caseta set up to control lights. Man, I have a lot to learn about automation and lighting.
I'm right with you Jack. I have a very basic understanding which isn't going to cut it. All of my lights are in per my build thread linked below but I have to figure out the automation end of things now...

I'll have to look into the Lutron Caseta setup that was suggested to you.
post #45 of 141 Old 07-11-2016, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm going to have to consider my electrical for the lights a little more as I now know a little more thanks to kmhvball over in this post.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/162-ho...l#post45282809

Here's a rough layout of my lighting:

The control switch would go just to the right of the door... so I need to figure out how to run my power for each "zone" of light. Currently I have power from the circuit breaker to the control switch area and then runs from the control switch area to each zone and of course all lights for a zone connected to each other. From what I read in the post I mentioned above it looks like I need to reconsider as I will need separate switches for zones 2, 3, 4, 5... say like if those were my sconces and the front lights were zone 1. Am I getting this right?
post #46 of 141 Old 07-11-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
The control switch would go just to the right of the door... so I need to figure out how to run my power for each "zone" of light. Currently I have power from the circuit breaker to the control switch area and then runs from the control switch area to each zone and of course all lights for a zone connected to each other. From what I read in the post I mentioned above it looks like I need to reconsider as I will need separate switches for zones 2, 3, 4, 5... say like if those were my sconces and the front lights were zone 1. Am I getting this right?
It looks like your wiring plan is correct but overly complicated. My suggestion, 1 zone for the spots, and 1, maybe 2 for the sconces (maybe a front and a back zone). Consider if you'll really need to control each zone of sconces separately. Also, If you only have 1 power run from the breaker to the control location, be sure that one breaker can handle the load of all those lights.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
post #47 of 141 Old 07-11-2016, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
It looks like your wiring plan is correct but overly complicated. My suggestion, 1 zone for the spots, and 1, maybe 2 for the sconces (maybe a front and a back zone). Consider if you'll really need to control each zone of sconces separately. Also, If you only have 1 power run from the breaker to the control location, be sure that one breaker can handle the load of all those lights.
Yeah we are pretty sure we want the sconce pairs in separate zones, the real trouble I am having now is the Insteon 2334 Keypad Dimmer is all I thought I needed to control all 5 zones... but after reading some people's comments in that other thread it seems I need an Insteon switch for each zone first and then pair this device with them.
post #48 of 141 Old 07-11-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah we are pretty sure we want the sconce pairs in separate zones, the real trouble I am having now is the Insteon 2334 Keypad Dimmer is all I thought I needed to control all 5 zones... but after reading some people's comments in that other thread it seems I need an Insteon switch for each zone first and then pair this device with them.
Yes, you will need a switch for each zone, but it looks like that 2334 could act as 1 switch, so you would only need 4 more. The other option is to run the 5 zones to a closet location and then get one of the Keypad Anywhere's to control them.

4.0 - TBD
post #49 of 141 Old 07-11-2016, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

So I've spent a little more time looking at the Insteon products and I think maybe INSTEON-2442-222-Micro-Dimmer-Module might do what I'm after. It looks like I can wire these up for each zone I'm after and use the Insteon 8 button switch to control them. That should give me the dimming control I want on the sconces in pairs while still lighting up the screen lights normally with the first button. Here's a rough diagram of what I'm thinking. Ignore that I forgot the lines for the purple pair of sconces... long night with little to no sleep means sloppy diagrams.

post #50 of 141 Old 07-11-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, there's a greater than zero chance I am going to copy whatever you do on lights, so please get it right.
ddigler likes this.
post #51 of 141 Old 07-11-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I've spent a little more time looking at the Insteon products and I think maybe INSTEON-2442-222-Micro-Dimmer-Module might do what I'm after.
You'll need one of these per zone, and they were really designed to go behind existing non-dimming switches.

I don't know how much light is given off by the 2334 switch itself (I know the regular Insteon switches have a tiny LED on them), but what I would do is wire 4 of the zones to 4 2477 switches in a 4 gang box on the outside of the room. You can program a scene so that you press one, and the others go to a pre-set level. Then, wire the last zone to a 2477 or 2334 on the inside of the room in a 1 gang box so you can control them all there as well. I'm guessing the majority of your control will be by remote, yes? This way, you approach the room, tap one switch, all the lights go to a "Welcome" scene. Once inside, you can tap another switch for another scene and the rest will be controlled from the comfort of your chair.
jjackkrash likes this.

4.0 - TBD

Last edited by blipszyc; 07-11-2016 at 06:31 PM.
post #52 of 141 Old 07-14-2016, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
but what I would do is wire 4 of the zones to 4 2477 switches in a 4 gang box on the outside of the room
This is exactly what I will do. I even found a great spot out of the way but accessible between my theater and the power box so it makes perfect sense to put them there. I've ordered one of the 2477 switches so I can wire it all up and test each zone before I seal up the walls.

This weekend will be the clean up items (finish electrical, hvac, insulation) and then we can get moving on the OSB and sheetrock.
jjackkrash and ddigler like this.
post #53 of 141 Old 07-14-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It looks like you went with 4 dead vents (2 supplies and 2 returns) for fresh air? Did you use 4 fans? Any pics of the fan-and-dead-vent install?
post #54 of 141 Old 07-14-2016, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
It looks like you went with 4 dead vents (2 supplies and 2 returns) for fresh air? Did you use 4 fans? Any pics of the fan-and-dead-vent install?
I haven't tapped into the hvac trunk and cold air return yet. That is on the agenda for this weekend. Right now the plan is to run stubs in the joists to bring the vents into the room in the front and rear soffits (to be built later) and do a dead vent sort of thing in those. I'll post pics as I build them... but I'm no expert.
jjackkrash likes this.
post #55 of 141 Old 07-14-2016, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't tapped into the hvac trunk and cold air return yet. That is on the agenda for this weekend. Right now the plan is to run stubs in the joists to bring the vents into the room in the front and rear soffits (to be built later) and do a dead vent sort of thing in those. I'll post pics as I build them... but I'm no expert.
Thanks! I am just trying to soak up some ideas. Your build is coming along awesome, great progress so far.
post #56 of 141 Old 10-10-2016, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Ok wow so its been far too long since I've posted the progress. Time to add some posts!

First is the lighting layout I finally went with before closing up everything. In the diagram below you can see I still have the 8 sconces and the 4 screen lights. I ended up taking blipszyc's advice and wired up a 4 gang box outside of the theater with 4 2477D switches to control each sconce pair. Then I wired up an Insteon 2334-226 to control the screen lights and the lighting scenes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater lighting.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1707913  
post #57 of 141 Old 10-10-2016, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok wow so its been far too long since I've posted the progress. Time to add some posts!

First is the lighting layout I finally went with before closing up everything. In the diagram below you can see I still have the 8 sconces and the 4 screen lights. I ended up taking blipszyc's advice and wired up a 4 gang box outside of the theater with 4 2477D switches to control each sconce pair. Then I wired up an Insteon 2334-226 to control the screen lights and the lighting scenes.

Once I got the lighting wiring all done I realized I had better get the OSB and drywall ordered and here so that I can move on with their install as soon as the last of the in-wall/in-ceiling tasks were complete.

I still had my HVAC runs to put in, the clips and channel to install, atmos speaker boxes to install, and the bar room light backer boxes... ok so I wasn't as close to hanging OSB and sheetrock as I thought.

So we ran some flex duct to the HVAC supply for the theater and bar. The idea there is the flex duct runs into the room into where the front soffit will be in the theater, and that soffit will be sound treated with the same OSB+GG+DW as well as some insulation. This gives those runs a lot of bends and distance to allow the sound to dampen before the air gets into the actual theater space.

We put the clips and channel up per the specs from the guys out at Soundproofing Company. Then we installed the atmos speaker boxes in the ceiling using the same IB3 clips we used on isolating the walls.

The bar room light backer boxes were very interesting to create and mount. I was concerned about their weight and being suspended from the channel, but once we had them in place and secured we found they were rock solid.

A few loose ends to tie up and then we were ready for the OSB layer!
post #58 of 141 Old 10-10-2016, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

We spent one very long day at the end of the weekend cleaning up, securing wires, and handling a few loose ends. Then we got started in on the OSB... we only got a few sheets up but that was after a very long day and we were very happy to at least have something up.

The next weekend we got an early start since I had an extra day off and we cranked out a ton of the OSB leaving only the HVAC soffits to contend with.

We had to wait another week for the solid core doors to arrive since I was a little late on ordering them... but once they came in we got them installed right away!

Then we finished off the soffits and cleaned up the room real good to make way for sheetrock!

post #59 of 141 Old 11-02-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I skimmed prior posts and didn't catch it, so, sorry if this is a repeat... But, what are your seating plans... 1 row, 2 rows, etc.?

Are you doing an AT screen? I highly recommend it.
post #60 of 141 Old 11-02-2016, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I skimmed prior posts and didn't catch it, so, sorry if this is a repeat... But, what are your seating plans... 1 row, 2 rows, etc.?

Are you doing an AT screen? I highly recommend it.
We are going to have two rows and definitely an AT screen. I built my LCR 1099s with the center vertical on purpose with the intent that it would sit upright behind a nice big AT screen.
ddigler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page