post #61 of 141 Old 11-02-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerumas View Post
We spent one very long day at the end of the weekend cleaning up, securing wires, and handling a few loose ends. Then we got started in on the OSB... we only got a few sheets up but that was after a very long day and we were very happy to at least have something up.
Nice work Aerumas!

Your going to have an awesome theater!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 141 Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 73
A couple of weeks ago I got busy making the 12 speaker box fronts for my Volt 10LX boxes throughout the theater. Had to get them built before starting the sheetrock layer.

Made my own little workstation in the corner of the bar room area so that the MDF dust would be a little easier to clean up after the fact.

I borrowed a friends plunge router and with the help of a great jig I bought off Amazon I got busy routing out the lip and then ultimately the hole for the speakers. It took one sample to adjust my jig for the size of bit I had but after that things went smoothly. Had them knocked out in no time!

Here's 8 of them, the other 4 already went up on the atmos boxes.

post #63 of 141 Old 11-02-2016, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well a week later we broke out the green glue, sealant, and sheetrock and got busy!

We put the sheetrock right over the atmos speaker boxes and then used a rotozip to cut out the speaker hole. The bit road the lip of the speaker front quite nicely.

It took us about 4 days of working over a week and a half to sheetrock everything but we are very happy with the results.

And here is the empty bucket shot...

Followed by the empty wallet shot!!!

We actually used 11 tubes of the sealant but I didn't think to keep them for an after pic until we had thrown several away.
Huguito and ddigler like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 141 Old 11-02-2016, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

After searching high and low on the internet and calling several dozen places I finally decided to drop into the HVAC place that I buy most of my stuff from and ask a tech in person about the Linacoustic. Funny thing is the person working the front desk insisted they don't carry anything like that but then I asked to talk to a tech and explained to them what it is I wanted and he confirmed they can order it in. A couple days later I went back in and picked up my 100' roll of Linacoustic. So if you too are having issue finding it, drop by and talk to one of their installers and I bet they've heard of it or another duct liner that would likely work.

This last weekend and throughout this week we have been working on the front and rear soffits which will house our HVAC supplies and returns. The general idea is we used flex duct in the joists to bring the vents over and into the room and then once in the room we build soffits to house channels the air will move through that are lined with duct liner. We wanted an easy way to roll it out and cut the pieces we needed so I put my push broom handle through it and balanced it on the grooves of my saw horses... it worked great!

Here's a couple pictures of the soffits right now. The front one has two HVAC supplies that flow around and then will come out in the soffit above the screen. The rear soffit houses a large return that will have a vent grill facing the front. It also has a small channel where I plan to put an exhaust fan or two to draw the heat away from the projector and dump it into the bar room.

This is the current progress and I plan to line the cavities and work the exhaust fans this weekend and then close up the soffits. After that I move onto the rear wall of the theater to separate the bar and theater rooms. It's getting exciting and some days I wish I could take more time off work to get it done faster but I'm sure my budget appreciates some of the slow downs.
jhermsmeyer likes this.
post #65 of 141 Old 11-02-2016, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Looks like a nice space and everything looks great so far! Keep up the good work!
post #66 of 141 Old 11-03-2016, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looking good! I can't wait to hear all of those volt 10s together. That's going to be really interesting. Should call this the DIY dream theater, since it's using all DIY speakers :-)
post #67 of 141 Old 11-06-2016, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Excellent work man, I said it before but you are going to have one nice theater there! Very few drawbacks to the geometry of your theater this thing is going to rock.
post #68 of 141 Old 11-06-2016, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good job on the ceiling speakers. I kind of wish in retrospect that I would have built and installed my Atmos speakers as well. I did run wire to them so I'm all good in that regard but I'm going to have to cut drywall now which is no big deal but I'm not sure what speaker I should use. I'm going to need some type of in ceiling.

You did good to get them out of the way during the construction process...
post #69 of 141 Old 11-17-2016, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Good job on the ceiling speakers. I kind of wish in retrospect that I would have built and installed my Atmos speakers as well. I did run wire to them so I'm all good in that regard but I'm going to have to cut drywall now which is no big deal but I'm not sure what speaker I should use. I'm going to need some type of in ceiling.

You did good to get them out of the way during the construction process...
Yeah with the sound isolation I wanted to be sure they were in place ahead of time. They are suspended from the joists with IB-3 clips just like the walls were. A lot of what has slowed me down is paying attention to everything from a sound isolation stand point.
post #70 of 141 Old 11-17-2016, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Few more updates in the last few weekends... things sure go slow when its all DIY in my weekend spare time... hard not to get too excited and just call in contractors to race to the finish.

We lined the soffits with duct liner... and oh man is that stuff nasty to work with if you are cutting a lot of it. Way worse than typical pink fluffy... but it looks great now that its done and it definitely does the job.

This is the rear soffit, and the unlined area is the projector exhaust, we lined it after this was shot.

With the soffits all lined, we closed them up with lined OSB, and then GG and the drywall.

Its weird to see the floor again now that the drywall stack is reduced to 2 pieces that we leaned against a wall so we can have the floor back.
post #71 of 141 Old 11-17-2016, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Next up was building the walls to separate the two spaces, theater and bar.
We built the main wall that houses two pocket doors just on the bar side of the rear soffit.

Then we built the rear walls of the theater that holds the rear speakers and ultimately will have columns like the rest of the room.

Earlier this week we closed them up which should be the last of the drywall we need in place before we do mud/taping. I say we and I mean hire it out... I know my strengths and weaknesses and mud/tape is a weakness I don't care to work on. Tried it with the other half of the basement build and found out real quick that I'm not very good at it and that I dislike the work. It's one area I am more than willing to hire done. Here's the walls closed up!

And here's a shot from the back end of the theater... ready for mud and tape!
post #72 of 141 Old 11-17-2016, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Agreed - Duct liner is def worse than the pinky fully.

Progress is looking good!

My build thread: The Unprofessional Build
post #73 of 141 Old 11-20-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 740
post #74 of 141 Old 11-21-2016, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerumas View Post
Next up was building the walls to separate the two spaces, theater and bar.
Looking awesome! Such a nice space you have to work with.
post #75 of 141 Old 11-24-2016, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Tapers are hard at work, yes on Thanksgiving but it was their idea not mine. They showed up for an hour and half to texture the bar area and work the smooth coat ceiling. A few more days of drying and they will be back for the last of the touch ups and sanding.

I have the building materials to make my columns and will start those soon. I think I read in a few posts a long while back that some folks like to at least primer the walls before columns and/or front stage/speaker wall construction to help seal the mud and tape. Luckily I have a lot of primer from helping a friend paint his garage so I will likely do that after the mud/tape all dries.

So my next dilemma is to build a stage or not to build a stage. I am heavily thinking of doing a floating screen look and I'm wondering if I should even bother with a front stage if it may disrupt the look of the floating screen. Is there a benefit to getting he subs off the concrete floor? I've been searching through threads to find some theaters without a stage but haven't gotten very far... I'm doing the cooking today so been a bit busy. Smoked turkey is going to be delicious! If anyone knows of a build thread without a stage or a minimal speaker stage can you let me know? I'd love to see some builds so I can make my decision.

Happy Thanksgiving folks!
post #76 of 141 Old 11-24-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I don't have a stage.... I think it is primarily a look preference... I was right on space too.

My subs are on my concrete floor, right in front of my screen... I think it works well, but I dont really have comparison points...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #77 of 141 Old 11-24-2016, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 336
oops... that was supposed to be 'I was tight on space too'

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #78 of 141 Old 12-24-2016, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mud and tape all finished up and those guys sure did an awesome job!

With that out of the way we started making the columns.
First I made a prototype for the front panel and then started kicking them out fairly quick.

We used a festool saw to get the super straight cuts... my dad couldn't help but take a picture showing my brother how not to hold the board when cutting it seeing as my brother happened to cut his fingers a while back doing the same thing.

Here are the columns all made up and set in place.
post #79 of 141 Old 12-24-2016, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered my surround speakers, 10 volts 10 LXs from the DIYSoundGroup. These will be our atmos as well as side and rear surrounds.

Then setup my workstation to start all the crossover assembly.

We got all the columns attached to the walls and put the speakers in to test them.

Last edited by Aerumas; 12-24-2016 at 05:46 PM.
post #80 of 141 Old 12-24-2016, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Next up was the stage... I went back and forth with trying to decide on stage vs no stage and ultimately settled on a simple single level stage.

We made the basic main portion of the stage first.

I went back on forth on the sand vs insulation vs nothing for a few days and then went all in with the sand route. So I checked several places on sand to try and find the least expensive option and well... turns out that buying it in bulk vs bags was almost 1/3 the cost from all my local sources. The problem with this option was two fold...it came in 1000lb loads and would need to be somehow transported down into the basement and the two loads we needed had been outside in over 24 hours of rain.

So to solve the first issue I put my engineer cap on and built a shoot so we could get it down into the basement.

Then we spread out the sand over the pavement, let it sit for several days, and raked the sand every so often to help the drying process. One of our dogs even helped move it around a little bit.

While it dried we build the front curve to the stage and then once it dried completely we started lining the cavities with plastic and started filling them up!

post #81 of 141 Old 12-24-2016, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 740
One serious theater you're building there.
Following along.
post #82 of 141 Old 12-25-2016, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Stage is all done and closed up.

We moved onto the riser and per the calculations have to hit a height of 16.5". So I decided to do a two level riser so that the seats are at the height needed but an intermediate level exists.

Once that was complete we got the sheets of mdf to do the wainscoting and picked up a bunch of trim/baseboards/crown moulding.

post #83 of 141 Old 12-26-2016, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Working on closing up a beer/wine storage room adjoining the bar. Want to get that room buttoned up so when we paint we do it all in one shot. So currently we are working on that and the trim work.
post #84 of 141 Old 12-27-2016, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Aerumas - this thing is looking incredible

I've stated it before but wow, bring it on - this thing will be EXCELLENT!

What are you using for fronts/SW? (sry if you mentioned it already)
post #85 of 141 Old 12-27-2016, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
@Aerumas - this thing is looking incredible

I've stated it before but wow, bring it on - this thing will be EXCELLENT!

What are you using for fronts/SW? (sry if you mentioned it already)
I have 1099s for LCR, and an ultimax 18 sub that I am moving into a full marty enclosure a bit later when I buy a second sub and I'll build both enclosures at once.

The beer/wine room is framed up and just a few little electrical runs and a conduit for the bar TV and then we slap on the sheetrock. I'll be mudding and taping this one myself as it is only 6 x 12 and quite doable.
post #86 of 141 Old 01-02-2017, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Beer/wine room is rocked and taped. Now I'm midway through the mudding process while working all the trim and moulding in the theater. More pics coming soon!
mercracing likes this.
post #87 of 141 Old 01-03-2017, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a few pics of the latest work.

First a few shots of the mud/tape progress in the beer/wine room.

Then a few of the trim work.

Now to focus on how I will be building my projector box. Here is where it is going.

I'm trying to decide how to best build it. I'm aiming for a box to hold the projector for now and later I would add a front to the box to make it a hush box. I have air ducting behind this that I plan on tapping into, both an inlet and an exhaust. I also have my power and conduit in place from early on to feed my HDMI through and wire up an outlet for the projector. Behind all the sheet rock is OSB and I will be able to reach some hat channel on the ceiling as well as some studs in the rear soffit.

So does anyone have any suggestions, pictures, or anything on what materials to possibly use and how to attach it? I was thinking of ripping some 3/4 mdf and attaching it via 2x2s to both the ceiling and rear soffit... is that sufficient? Also any suggestions on how much clearance I need around the projector for proper ventilation? I may even be able to be convinced to build the front in now and make the side be a door for access. As you all can probably tell I'm a bit torn in several directions and unsure of how I want to proceed.
ddigler likes this.
post #88 of 141 Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I can only imagine what your dog is thinking "Oh sure, I drag in alittle mud with my paws and all hell breaks lose, but this guy ..."
post #89 of 141 Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post
I can only imagine what your dog is thinking "Oh sure, I drag in alittle mud with my paws and all hell breaks lose, but this guy ..."
Haha, yeah I'm sure she thought I had lost my mind... but then again she is quite the digger. Sadly our yard has a few new holes in the yard that she felt were a necessary addition. She's only 9 months old and fairly high strung at times and at 90+ lbs a bit of a handful. So far she has only eaten one dvd and chewed on the corner of a bluray case, but you never know what's next.

Once the theater is done I'm sure both my dogs will appreciate it since they loathe fireworks and it will be our nice little bunker for those times in the year my neighbors turn into pyros.
post #90 of 141 Old 01-17-2017, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Trim, trim, and more trim...

More trim work in progress!
All of the trim work is done save a few interior trim pieces on the other side of the room that we will finish up today. Crown moulding, chair rail, baseboard, frame trim for around the lights and speaker cutouts, as well as the interior trim for the wainscoting. This was a ton of work spread over a few weeks... now I know why the contractors get paid well for this work as it can be tedious and yet takes a bit of skill to get it right. We are happy with the results and now we will spend the next week filling nail holes and caulking joints as necessary.

Managed to get all of the door trim installed in the rooms and all the drywall mud/texture is finished in the beer/wine storage room.

The soffit crown is installed as well as a plate for the projector mount. When I built the back soffit I put in a separated duct for a venting system to help draw the warm air up by the projector and pushes it into the bar room. Decided to not build a hush box at this time. I'm concerned about the position of the projector relative to the screen and soffit. So for now no box and we will just mount it up there and if it makes sense later we can build a hush box for it.

This is the front soffit with our two vents cutout. They let quite a bit of airflow through and work great! So we plugged them up with towels for now to keep the extra dust out while we finish working the room.

Up next we will build the window plugs and do the finishing work on all the trim work to get ready for paint. So excited to get to the paint stage of the build... seems like forever ago we started all of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page