Serendipty Theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #91 of 141 Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The remaining inside trim on the wainscoting is complete! My wife did a fantastic job with it and now we work on finishing up some details and then the window plugs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 141 Old 01-19-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Wow looking great. Cool that your wife has the skills to make an impact like that!
post #93 of 141 Old 01-19-2017, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
What a good progress you have been doing on a really serious build. Really looking forward to follow this thread to the finished product!
The wainscoting looks great to =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 141 Old 01-24-2017, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Worked on the finishing details of the trim and such this weekend. My wife put the last of the trim, wainscoting, baseboard, and chair rail, on the door.

Then we got to work on building the two window plugs. They are super heavy and definitely don't move once in place.

Spent a lot of time last night sanding down the wood patch material I lined the columns with. I definitely figured out less is better when applying that stuff. You can always add more but sanding down a lot of excess is a great deal of work.

Tonight the plan is to wipe down all the surfaces and vacuum up all the dust and debris. Then we'll mask off the floor and the windows. The plan is to start painting this Thursday. I took the day off work for my birthday so I can get some paint going... exciting and yet I know we still have a ways to go.

Decided on a Benjamin Moore Aura Interior paint. I know others that have used it and like the results. Going with a matte finish but supposedly this paint is quite durable and forgiving for a non-expert painter. Luckily though we are using a sprayer, the same one we did when we finished the rooms on the other side of the basement last year. So this will save a lot of time and agonizing over brush strokes.
post #95 of 141 Old 02-05-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerumas View Post
Worked on the finishing details of the trim and such this weekend. My wife put the last of the trim, wainscoting, baseboard, and chair rail, on the door.

Then we got to work on building the two window plugs. They are super heavy and definitely don't move once in place.

Spent a lot of time last night sanding down the wood patch material I lined the columns with. I definitely figured out less is better when applying that stuff. You can always add more but sanding down a lot of excess is a great deal of work.

Tonight the plan is to wipe down all the surfaces and vacuum up all the dust and debris. Then we'll mask off the floor and the windows. The plan is to start painting this Thursday. I took the day off work for my birthday so I can get some paint going... exciting and yet I know we still have a ways to go.

Decided on a Benjamin Moore Aura Interior paint. I know others that have used it and like the results. Going with a matte finish but supposedly this paint is quite durable and forgiving for a non-expert painter. Luckily though we are using a sprayer, the same one we did when we finished the rooms on the other side of the basement last year. So this will save a lot of time and agonizing over brush strokes.

Looking great man. This room has the space to make it really awesome in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #96 of 141 Old 02-12-2017, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Paint Done!

Ok so wow it's been a little while since I've posted but that's because we have spent a ton of time painting all of the rooms. Word of advise to those doing the paint on your own, low VOC doesn't mean your house won't smell. The folks at the paint store didn't quite give me enough warnings when they recommended the oil based primer. I asked for their advise since I haven't really painted a lot of mdf (columns and wainscoting) before and they pointed me this direction. If I were to do it again I would definitely go with an odorless paint, it would have been worth the extra bucks.

So onto some paint pics!

In the bar room I had to wrap my kegerator since it was going to be too much work to move it out completely and since our winter has been exceptionally snowy the back steps were pretty much snowed in.

Here is a pic of the theater mid painting:

Sorry no pictures of the primer painting... that was an unpleasant experience that I do not need photographic evidence to remind me.

After the paint was all done and dry we spent time getting the lights back up, because damn was it dark in there, and we got the surround and atmos speakers in place.

We did get the outlets all wired up but ran into a bit of an issue... with all that prewiring so many months ago it seems that I forgot to run a feed from one side of the room to the other... pretty much rendering half the room with no power which included the riser. I was going bonkers tearing through pictures and checking every outlet for the missing lead. We found no evidence of the connecting wire from either side of the room so I chalked up to I just left it out and never installed one. We brainstormed a few ideas of how to bridge the two sides when my wife came up with the best response. We had power behind the stage and a 2" gap around the stage away from the walls (mostly to fill with insulation later). So we tapped into that outlet and ran some wire in conduit from there to the left front column. We removed some baseboard and trim and then cut out a spot for the metal conduit to sit inside the wainscoting. After connecting it all and testing it out we put the baseboard and trim back over it and it's like a bad dream that never happened! I'm pretty happy that has been the biggest oops we've encountered to date on this huge project.

We also have some fabric samples for the walls, these so far are our top 3, but my wife wants to order a few more samples before we make our final pick.

We put the bar room sconces up.

Yesterday was all about cleaning up and then getting the front stage area covered in linacoustic/plastic/linacoustic. I'll be glad when the last of the insulation work is all done.

We have some carpet picked out and we have them coming out to measure for estimates. The plan forward is to work on the fabric frames, speaker stands, and 2 full marty enclosures! Getting closer to the end.
post #97 of 141 Old 02-12-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Unholy transformation!
Amazing what a coat of black paint can do.
post #98 of 141 Old 02-16-2017, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

So been a little busy this week trying to work on things in the basement after I get home from work. Been assembling 1 of 2 full marty enclosures as well as prepping the bar room for tile this weekend. I was going to hire it out but at $5 or more a sq ft I just had to rethink that so I can save those dollars for more electronics. Carpet is scheduled for 3rd of March... so getting closer!

Below is a list of most of what is left to do with some of my thoughts on each of them. Making a to do list sure did remind me that I have quite a bit left.

Theater Doors
I also am deciding on how to beef up my two doors in my main entrance. They are both solid core doors and I am debating on putting GG and a sheet of 1/2" MDF on one side just to add a little mass. Also thought about some of those sound insulation products to help absorb anything that makes it through the first door. (higher frequencies only I'm sure)
I still have to put down a threshold for the automatic door bottoms to close down on, but I'm not sure what type of material to use... specifically what type of wood is best for those or should I use something else? I still need to order the door seals for both doors, guess I need to get off my butt and give those Soundproofing Company guys a call.

Pocket Doors
At the back of my theater are my pocket doors (well the assembly minus the actual doors) separating the bar room from the theater. Both rooms are within my sound shell isolation so that's why we went with pocket doors and weren't terribly concerned with sound control. I was considering building the doors rather than buying them and here's what I was thinking. I thought I could take 1/2" MDF and attach 3/4" MDF to the other side making 1 1/4" doors. On the 3/4" side I would leave a spot to put a fabric covered frame with a movie poster printed on it. Kind of like this drawing, sorry it sucks... but you get the idea:

Vent Grills/Registers
I need to order some custom size vent registers for my feeds and returns. I swear I saw someone call out an online company that isn't too expensive to custom size order them, but I can't seem to find the thread I was in when I saw them. I'm hoping to find some for the feeds that can be closed so that during winter I don't have heat pumping into the room especially when not in use.

Main LCR Speaker Stands and Beyond the Screen
My front speakers are DIYSG 1099s but they sit a little low so my thought was to build stands from 2x4s I have around and then paint them black. I have big rubber feet on the 1099s and I figure on the top of the stands I can just drill out small divets for those rubber feet to sit in so they don't move around. I think I will secure the stands to the stage or get spikey feet for them so they don't slide around too easy on the carpet.
Aside from the stands once those and my full martys are done I was going to cover the outside of the cabinets with something to cut down sound reflection. I already have the front wall/ceiling covered in linacoustic/plastic/linacoustic. I really don't think I want to build a baffle wall and was planning on just adding extra insulation/absorpsion material back behind the speakers if necessary to absorb more sound back there.

Screen
My plan is to go with the minimal approach Big has been kind enough to share with all of us. At one point I was very seriously considering a curved screen but everything I read up on that suggested to do it right you need an anomorphic lens which would cut into my projector budget considerably. As it is I am planning on stretching my projector budget farther than originally expected and go for the JVC RS520. I was advised that my size of screen and throw distance was going to be an issue for brightness so even though I will have a 100% light controlled room, I am planning on going with a high gain screen of 1.2 or so.

Fabric Frame Sound Panels
We are still deciding between two colors for our GOM fabric and will be ordering that soon. As for the frames, we kicked the crown moulding and trim 3/4" so that when our fabric frames are mounted they don't make those look too recessed. Right now I'm planning on buying some 1" material for constructing the frames and then putting OC703 inside. As suggested by Big and other folks I will follow others examples and put some scrim in some places and see what works best for my room.

Column Speaker Panels
I also need to get building the frames for the column speaker covers. My plan is to use 3/4" MDF and wrap it with the speaker cloth from Joann's. My wife had a bunch of coupons so we swung by there last Sunday and picked up enough fabric to cover all 8 columns plus some extra.

Atmos Speaker Grills?
I do have an issue that I need to figure out how to solve. My atmos speakers are installed but I need to find a way to cover them, hopefully with speaker cloth but I can't seem to think of a great way to do it. Right now the speakers (Volt 10LXs) foam exterior rings sit about 3/8" into the sheetrock layer. I need to get a picture taken and post it so you guys can see what I mean. Anyways I bought a speaker grill thinking it would do the trick but it's way too big. I didn't make the opening just barely fit but apparently it's still too small for every speaker grill I've found at Part's Express and other places.

So that's the bulk of it... I was so excited that I was getting closer to the end but when I list it all out I know I still have a ways to go. I'd love to hear anyones thoughts or suggestions. Sometimes the voices in my head get me lost thinking about this stuff for hours and I know I've lost sleep over it when I wake up at 3am and my thinker turns on. Hopefully this weekend will knock a few things off the list.
post #99 of 141 Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Just having a little fun this afternoon

curtisG and PTAaron like this.
post #100 of 141 Old 02-26-2017, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Who knew OC703 was so hard to find... called a half dozen hvac places and checked all the local hardware stores and no one has even heard of it... /sigh.
post #101 of 141 Old 02-26-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 540 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 4984
Quote:
Who knew OC703 was so hard to find... called a half dozen hvac places and checked all the local hardware stores and no one has even heard of it... /sigh.

This is where I bought mine from.
post #102 of 141 Old 02-27-2017, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks! Every place I saw them online was killed by expensive shipping costs. It seems this site is far far less on shipping costs.

Now to stop myself from clicking your DIYSG Titan-615 Build link again in your sig... so tempting.
post #103 of 141 Old 03-01-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Nice build, and great progress... I just came on your thread today, and you've come a long way from the start! Great to see you and your wife doing the bulk of it, I had hoped to do the same but now that we have 2 kids in the house it would be a 10-year build. Looking forward to seeing it all come together (soon).
post #104 of 141 Old 03-03-2017, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Carpet install got pushed to the 10th... bummer. But I still have plenty to do so the weekend will still be full of HT work.

Today we're going to visit a few shops to see some projectors in person. We're looking at the 5040/6040 Epson's (though not sure what the difference is other than color and accessories) as well as the JVC RS500/520. Really going to see if the difference between Epson and JVC is enough for us to expand the budget.

Also have some screen samples on the way from Seymour so I can compare those and make my plans for a screen. Still on the fence between attempting a curved screen vs just a normal straight one. I'm so indecisive.
post #105 of 141 Old 03-03-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I believe you need to be in a pretty good environment to see the benefits of the JVCs, if it isn't light controlled, then I think some of the benefits get lost.

I am not sure the street price difference between the RS500 and RS520, but I have a 7 yo and 10 yo, and although, we don't do much of any game system games now, I would probably be tempted to go with the RS520 due to the new gaming mode.
post #106 of 141 Old 03-04-2017, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

I have a dozen 2'x4' 2" OC703 panels that need a home. Where are you located? I'm in the Dallas area.

Otherwise you can get it from ATS Acoustics, which is where I purchased these from.
post #107 of 141 Old 03-05-2017, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

I'm in northern Utah, a bit far from you. Yeah I've been looking there online but I'm still checking a few local sources before I order.

Right now I'm flip flopping between receivers for my 7.2.4 setup... been looking at the Marantz 6011 or 7010. I'd like to stay closer to the $13-1500 mark as I plan on using some external amps so I don't mind not having onboard amps for everything.
post #108 of 141 Old 03-05-2017, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Serendipty Theater

Yeah, that's a bit far LOL

Have you considered Bonded Logic Ultratouch cotton batts? That's why I'm getting rid of my OC703 -- after introducing OC703 panels and fiberglass batts in my riser I found so much glittery dust I decided I didn't want any more fiberglass than I already have (what's in the riser is there to stay). My bet it was from cutting the fiberglass batts for the riser, but the Ultratouch performs as well as the 2" OC703 (with the Ultratouch's 3.5" thick batts mind you, but I have the space for it) so I'd rather not have any more fiberglass in my room.

See the Savoy build, Nyal Mellor spec'd Ultratouch for the walls and David said it was so much nicer to work with than fiberglass.
post #109 of 141 Old 03-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I feel your pain on finding OC703. I finally found a source at a builders supply company locally. It'll run about $180 for 12 of the 2" sheets. I wasn't able to get any of the on-line places to ship to Alaska, so I'm excited that I finally found a place I can get it.

The theater is looking great!
brazensol likes this.

Jerry
Fairbanks, Alaska
DIY In Progress Home Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...tic-build.html
Star Ceiling Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...am-boards.html
post #110 of 141 Old 04-11-2017, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

So much to catch up on!

So we got our tile down in the bar room and we are loving how it came out.

While we were waiting for the carpet install we worked on the pocket doors separating the bar from the theater. We opted to make our own doors rather than buy premade ones as I mentioned previously.

Here is the first one built and unpainted.

We got them both hung to check their fit.

The theater side is painted black and is waiting for me to get fabric print ordered and some OC703 to install my frames. Still trying to figure out where I can order fabric printed with my half superman symbols that won't complain about the copyright.
In the mean time my wife had been wanting barn doors in the bar area since the beginning and decided to try her hand at painting the other side of these doors to look like reclaimed wood. We are quite happy with the outcome.
Tedd, PTAaron and texpilot like this.
post #111 of 141 Old 04-11-2017, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

We enjoyed getting to see the projectors we were considering in person. While we thought both the Epson 6040 and JVC RS 500 had great picture, in the end we went with the JVC. They were clearing out the JVC so they could get the new RS 520 out on display and made us one hell of a deal. We paid just $200 more than the Epson and picked up an extra bulb at cost. The hard part was taking it home and not having the room done to hang it... still had work to do.

So the carpet install went rather smoothly on the 10th. The company obviously didn't tell the installer about the riser in the room... when he walked in to see the install area he sighed and looked surprised when he saw it. He did an excellent job installing it. Some of the pictures make it seem more gray than it is... but those windows were left unblocked so the installer could see what he was doing.

Of course it didn't take us long to start moving the front stage speakers in and hooking them up. As you can see above the marty UM 18s went in first. Also discovered that even though we used 2" conduit, pulling 5 speaker wire lines can get a bit tough with the 3 bends we had in the run... but it worked out ok.
post #112 of 141 Old 04-11-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Wow that's looking great! Keep it up!
post #113 of 141 Old 04-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Did you use a wire pulling lubricant. I found it made all the difference in the world when I pulled through a lot of tight bends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #114 of 141 Old 04-11-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Looking great!

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
post #115 of 141 Old 04-11-2017, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpoes12 View Post
Did you use a wire pulling lubricant. I found it made all the difference in the world when I pulled through a lot of tight bends.
Nope... wish I had. We were pulling them around 10pm at by that point I was pushing it to get the front stage in place... I should have looked that stuff up and been more patient.
post #116 of 141 Old 04-12-2017, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2127 Post(s)
Liked: 892
The Mrs nailed those doors! So nice!

And that tile is awesome, care to share who makes it and the product name?
post #117 of 141 Old 04-12-2017, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

A few days after the front stage was up and running we got working on the screen. Used a router on all of the edges just to round them off a bit. We used a friend's Festool domino joiner for all of the connections. Here we have the screen frame laid out and test assembled so I could get final measurements for ordering the material.

I had the guys over at SeymourAV send me some samples and decided on the Center Stage XD. I worked with Jon via emails to get exactly what I wanted. The plan was to wrap the entire frame in velvet so that the screen material would be on the front of the frame and tensioned around the back with grommets and o rings. Jon was extremely helpful in getting the exact size of material and he recommended I install the grommets myself to save money.
Once the velvet was all in place we assembled the frame with glue and the dominos. Used some metal corner and T joint supports to strengthen the connections. Here is the screen wrapped in velvet and hung from the supports as a test fit.

I took several hours to get all the grommets in place and my arm was super sore from all of that work but we were blown away by the results.

We carefully laid the material on the floor and set the frame on top and started at the center installing posts and O rings for every grommet. Since the screen is so big we had to set it up on the riser running the length of the room to get the sides done after we had the top and bottom completed. Then we put it up in place and had to remove one of the front column sconces to get the screen to go in... of course forgetting to get the speakers back in their proper places so it had to come back down again for that... who cares though because we got the screen up!

Once the screen was in place I was done for... I had a one track mind to get the projector mounted and test it out. I know I know... mount the projector last, but we had done everything we could until I ordered the fabric for the side walls and with an upcoming vacation I wasn't going to wait to see something on screen.

So we quickly got the window plugs in place... ok not so quickly since they weigh like 130lbs a piece, but we put them in. The windows themselves are unlocked and the screens were turned around so we can open the windows from outside should we need to for some reason. The plugs are removable... its just not easy to do and not something we are likely to do anytime soon. They are wicked effective at light and sound control which is exactly what we wanted.

Screen up... projector mounted... AV rack all connected... oh it's time to fire this baby up! We snagged the first UHD disk we had around, Warcraft, and got fiddling with the settings on the projector to get everything to fit just right.

We had the HDMI cable just running on the floor so we could ensure it works before bothering to put it in the conduit. I had bought two cables and was glad I did... the first one worked ok but found a few times it would cut out during testing so we swapped. We stole a couch and recliner from upstairs as we hadn't even ordered our chairs yet.. but wanted something to sit on while we fiddled with things. This was all on a Sunday night and we had to go to work the next day so we didn't do much more than play around with a few disks. The very next weekend I did a sound calibration and tweaked a few more settings on the projector and then we watched our first full movie...

Sorry for the terrible pictures but I wasn't too focused on my camera skills... I was busy being a little kid beyond happy with the results of the past year of work.

Just to show that all work hasn't stopped and we aren't just watching movies, here is a shot of the prototype for the column covers. Obviously we should paint the frames black but overall I like the look it gives the columns.

Next up we are finalizing our fabric choices for the walls and then working on adding more absorption behind the screen. Also have to get the vent registers ordered, the lights for above the trim on the ceiling, a few odds and ends, and touch up paint as well. We are occasionally watching movies... most often to show friends and family our work. We are really enjoying the results and the sound proofing is proving to have been very successful. Nothing stops the big bass hits when the two full marty UM 18s fire off real hard, but its only noticeable in the closest rooms. The bedrooms upstairs don't seem to hear anything when a movie is rolling and that makes us very happy.
femi, PTAaron and ddigler like this.
post #118 of 141 Old 05-20-2017, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 315
@Aerumas , wow nice theater. What is your size of your screen?

Femi
post #119 of 141 Old 05-20-2017, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, it's 181". Been working on some odds and ends in the bar as well as the sound treatments in the room. Hoping to get some updated pics soon.
femi likes this.
post #120 of 141 Old 05-20-2017, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Thanks, it's 181". Been working on some odds and ends in the bar as well as the sound treatments in the room. Hoping to get some updated pics soon.
Nice...do you have your JVC RS500 on high lamp or low lamp?

Femi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page