Belly of the Beast: The Bass Bunker Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 116Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 261 Old 10-08-2015, 10:14 AM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2726
Lol. Yup it's a big one. I could barely fit that beast in my car when we did the MA GTG.
Mfusick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 261 Old 10-08-2015, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 5,361
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
This is a big piece:

That's what she said.


Have you had time to play? I'm interested to hear how it compares to your old 350! You've accumulated quite the collection of PJ experience over the past few years buddy...
popalock is offline  
post #33 of 261 Old 10-09-2015, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
That's what she said.


Have you had time to play? I'm interested to hear how it compares to your old 350! You've accumulated quite the collection of PJ experience over the past few years buddy...
No kidding. I guess to make it short, Im done for a little while This thing is sweet. The startup time on its own is addicting. The fact I can treat it like a normal television just seals the deal. Super sharp image, motion IMO is fantastic, even with no FI. I have not given 3D a spin yet. The only thing the sony really had on it was it had a little more brightness to it, but in scenes like the "Boot up program" from the first matrix where it's an all white background, this thing can still sear your eyes if you are going full on with it. Contrast is a fair amount better than the Sony as well. Im very happy with the purchase, even though it stung a good bit.... After having that Epson 3020 in as a stand-in, this thing is light years of an improvement, haha. Still remembering what the Sony did, it is a much slighter improvement but still enough that I am quite happy.

I don't like the dynamic Iris though, so I have it off actually. I know the "Inky blacks" would be better with it on, but even off, this does a good enough job for me
popalock likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 261 Old 10-09-2015, 11:28 AM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2726
Brightness > contrast ... That is generally how I feel. I like a dynamic picture and that can only happen with enough brightness. Although neither the 350 or the LS10000 are light cannons really. The Epson did have nice contrast when I saw it, and the colors were excellent. I remember being impressed at CEDIA last year, and then again when Bob brought to the MA GTG we did. I like Epson for warranty, support, reliability and value. They don't mess up any of those things.
Mfusick is offline  
post #35 of 261 Old 10-09-2015, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Brightness > contrast ... That is generally how I feel. I like a dynamic picture and that can only happen with enough brightness. Although neither the 350 or the LS10000 are light cannons really. The Epson did have nice contrast when I saw it, and the colors were excellent. I remember being impressed at CEDIA last year, and then again when Bob brought to the MA GTG we did. I like Epson for warranty, support, reliability and value. They don't mess up any of those things.
I would generally agree with that statement as well, but on a 138" screen, at proper distance, this thing is still PLENTY bright to give you incredible contrast for sure. Those boys over at JVC probably wouldnt like you

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #36 of 261 Old 10-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Newbie
 
hifters1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Beast,

Love the build! Enjoy..

An off topic question, I noticed in the first set of pictures your LS-6s. How do you like them? I got one of the last kits from GR and I am in the build process.

Dean
hifters1 is offline  
post #37 of 261 Old 10-09-2015, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifters1 View Post
Beast,

Love the build! Enjoy..

An off topic question, I noticed in the first set of pictures your LS-6s. How do you like them? I got one of the last kits from GR and I am in the build process.

Dean
Dean,

Love the line arrays. They are an absolutely incredible system. They typically play background music each and every night from the time I get home to the time I go bed, and they do a fantastic job at that, and full range to boot! I thought for sure the wife would shoot down the idea of having them in the den so I snuck them in when I returned from taking them to philly for a g2g before she got home that night and to my surprise, she actually really liked them where they are and she has stated several times they need not go anywhere! Great win for me I think you'll really love the presentation they give.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #38 of 261 Old 10-11-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 5,361
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
No kidding. I guess to make it short, Im done for a little while This thing is sweet. The startup time on its own is addicting. The fact I can treat it like a normal television just seals the deal. Super sharp image, motion IMO is fantastic, even with no FI. I have not given 3D a spin yet. The only thing the sony really had on it was it had a little more brightness to it, but in scenes like the "Boot up program" from the first matrix where it's an all white background, this thing can still sear your eyes if you are going full on with it. Contrast is a fair amount better than the Sony as well. Im very happy with the purchase, even though it stung a good bit.... After having that Epson 3020 in as a stand-in, this thing is light years of an improvement, haha. Still remembering what the Sony did, it is a much slighter improvement but still enough that I am quite happy.

I don't like the dynamic Iris though, so I have it off actually. I know the "Inky blacks" would be better with it on, but even off, this does a good enough job for me
Instant(ish) start up time does sound pretty awesome. Actually, it would be nice if everything in my damn chain was super quick. Just changing the channel on my satellite box takes 5 seconds for the picture to show up... Don't know it if it's a handshake issue due to the 40ft HDMI Cable or what, but...yeah...Horrible.
popalock is offline  
post #39 of 261 Old 10-12-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Are you using Armed Forces Network (aka Almost Fine Network or Awful Fu¥&!¤g Network)?
popalock likes this.

______________________________________
Home Theater:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #40 of 261 Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 5,361
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Are you using Armed Forces Network (aka Almost Fine Network or Awful Fu¥&!¤g Network)?
Yes.

Love hate relationship...
popalock is offline  
post #41 of 261 Old 10-12-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Yes.

Love hate relationship...
Yes it was....makes my directv issues seem minor.

______________________________________
Home Theater:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #42 of 261 Old 10-12-2015, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Yes it was....makes my directv issues seem minor.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #43 of 261 Old 10-12-2015, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Watching any broadcast television is garbage in a real theater....Oh wait..... I host basically every sporting event championship/tournament/final round that there basically is outside of baseball. So, nevermind.

I do find it odd though that Dtv is now offering a 4K genie when basically 99% of their channels are only coming in still at 1080i. I wonder if it makes a marked difference with the new box on just standard content? I tried calling to get one ordered the other day and after 30 minutes I got hung up on, so I just forgot it. On a screen the sized we have, 1080i/720p just doesn't quite cut it honestly.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #44 of 261 Old 10-12-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
You even found a photo of me holding a symbol of my home state, the bison.

I hope to jump to 4k in a few years, but then they will be pimping 8k. At some point they should stop and let consumers catch their collective breaths. I know people who are going to skip the whole 4k iteration and wait for 8k. Cannot be good for business.

______________________________________
Home Theater:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #45 of 261 Old 10-12-2015, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
You even found a photo of me holding a symbol of my home state, the bison.

I hope to jump to 4k in a few years, but then they will be pimping 8k. At some point they should stop and let consumers catch their collective breaths. I know people who are going to skip the whole 4k iteration and wait for 8k. Cannot be good for business.
4K makes absolute sense to me with large screens our size. 8K will be awesome, but really unless you are rocking 110" or larger, is the only need I see for it. On a 50" you aren't even going to be able to tell from even 2 ft out. Heck, 2k-4k its still going to be near impossible to tell. HDR is what makes all the difference. 8K on consumer-sized flat panels is basically going to be just pissing money away.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #46 of 261 Old 10-12-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
4K makes absolute sense to me with large screens our size. 8K will be awesome, but really unless you are rocking 110" or larger, is the only need I see for it. On a 50" you aren't even going to be able to tell from even 2 ft out. Heck, 2k-4k its still going to be near impossible to tell. HDR is what makes all the difference. 8K on consumer-sized flat panels is basically going to be just pissing money away.
My brother was working with the Radeon graphics card guys at AMD and they also indicate that HDR will make a significantly greater visual impact than additional resolution.

______________________________________
Home Theater:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #47 of 261 Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Good lord, all of a sudden I see two pairs of LS6's hit the classys for around $2800! If I could get that much for my LS6's I'd be REAL tempted to scoop some 210 or 215rt's to replace. That would be pretty cool.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #48 of 261 Old 10-13-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Nice Room....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beast.jpg
Views:	1570
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	993105  

______________________________________
Home Theater:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #49 of 261 Old 10-13-2015, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Unless it comes in on your back, you'll never see one of the jersey's in my space.
NWCgrad likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #50 of 261 Old 10-17-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,368
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Looks good Brandon. I thought for a minute that you built a new room. The beginning pics made it look different. The chairs look great, really makes a big difference! I know I enjoyed my visit!! Heck I am jealous!
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #51 of 261 Old 10-17-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 3,658
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 207
KBMAN is offline  
post #52 of 261 Old 10-18-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
I hope to get down there soon. I will be sure to wear something with a Jayhawk on it.

______________________________________
Home Theater:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #53 of 261 Old 10-19-2015, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
I love the rounded bar as a third row...CLASSY
Haha. Not sure if joking.

That thing is a salvage item from a beach condo that hadn't been updated since the early 80's. I painted the weave parts black and stained it a different, darker color and re-wrapped the seats in new fabric as a nice stand-in. It's time is numbered as I intend to build a "real" bar back there this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
I hope to get down there soon. I will be sure to wear something with a Jayhawk on it.
Looking like the weekend of November 21st is the g2g date. It appears that is when most people can make it. Would love to have you down!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #54 of 261 Old 10-19-2015, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 3,658
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
I love the rounded bar as a third row...CLASSY
I was NOT joking...that is killer! (and a cool story about the history of the bar)....Nice and Classy Room Dude. Your chairs must have cost ya a few coin; they look sweet....
KBMAN is offline  
post #55 of 261 Old 10-20-2015, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
I was NOT joking...that is killer! (and a cool story about the history of the bar)....Nice and Classy Room Dude. Your chairs must have cost ya a few coin; they look sweet....
Thanks man! Yea the seats are great. It really took the space to another level over some couches I had in there previously. It wasn't cheap, but not as bad as one would think. Totally worth it though. The Bar I wish could hang around but with the current layout and nearfield subs, There is barely enough room between it and the back wall to walk through comfortably, and it is infringing on my dart board throwing area

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #56 of 261 Old 10-29-2015, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
So I have two JBL 4645C units just sitting in storage. I am thinking, I want to play around with these bad boys a little. Not sure what I want to do yet tho....

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #57 of 261 Old 11-27-2015, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Just wanting to wish all those following a Happy belated Turkey day! Hope you all enjoyed it with your families as much as I did!!! We actually ate early so we could fire up the PJ and watch them Panthers take it 11-0!!!! What a way to close out a fantastic day with family!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thanksgiving.jpg
Views:	1326
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1082554  
ellisr63, Frohlich and ambesolman like this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #58 of 261 Old 11-27-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 4,444
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 2258
Sounds like a great day!!!
Frohlich is online now  
post #59 of 261 Old 11-27-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,452
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
That PJ looks like a beast...no pun intended.

Boy do those seats look sharp...
beastaudio likes this.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #60 of 261 Old 12-05-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,740
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 975
I think you should've kept the pink striped bar stool seats. They had more of a 'I don't care what my friends think of my effeminate seats' look to them. Sure we'd make fun of you, but that's beside the point...
ambesolman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Danley Sound Labs , jbl synthesis , Marantz , Stereo Integrity , VPL-VW350ES , zod audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off