Belly of the Beast: The Bass Bunker Theater - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 116Likes

post #241 of 261 Old 03-19-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@FOHTech ,

Not BeastAudio, but I can tell you that I'm very happy with my Certainteed Theater Black f tiles, and while expensive - in the scheme of the room - they aren't too much.

They are built like a sheet of OC703 with black light absorbant material/felt? on one side. They will not rattle and what's more they will make a grid that rattles with traditional tiles completely silent. I painted my grid black, and got rid of the terrible standard tiles and put in these Certainteed tiles and I love them. HUGE difference over my standard tiles - and no more rattles anywhere in my ceiling grid -- and that's with eight 18" subwoofers in the room. My original tiles rattled terribly - to the point I thought I might have to replace the whole ceiling grid - that and dust falling down all the time. I have none of those problems anymore. First rate fix!!!

https://www.certainteed.com/acoustic...eatre-black-f/

They have a light reflection rating of .03 and a NRC of .75 for the thin ones (5/8" thick) and .95 for the thick ones (1" thick). I saved money by installing the thinner ones, and putting 9" of R30 pink fluffy above them.

https://www.certainteed.com/resource...f_DataPage.pdf

The tiles cost about $6-$8 each depending on where you buy them. (2'x4') Mine came in a packages of 16. I know several other people who have used them since then, including @Gorilla83 and @lukeamdman . I got the recommendation from @CraigJohn . I don't know of anyone who has installed them who has regretted it in anyway.

I posted pics of them in my room thread talking to Brandon in post 1991.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post57513628

You can see in some of the pictures of my room around that post count that they absorb much more light than even the blackest matte paint that I personally found for use in my room Olympic One - Black Magic. That's the paint I used to paint my grid. I think @carp found an even better black matte paint than what I used that if you are starting from scratch you might check out. I don't recall the name of it. Something with mouse in it? Perhaps he can spring in here and give you the lead.

Notice how the tiles don't reflect light compared to the grid. The matte black paint reflects a bit of light, but it looks worse on camera than in person. When the lights are off in the room, the ceiling is like a black hole to your eyes with that 3% light reflection rating.

Thanks for replying!! Those are very very impressive! Sharp looking too. This may also really help me with my sound transmission issue to the upper floors. My low freq content radiates upward, in part due to cement floor and walls and no insulation in the ceiling. Between these and the R30 that may really attenuate alot of that transmission.

Did you purchase locally or through a dealer that shipped? I’d like to get the lowest price obviously in that spectrum.

What did uou spray the grid with? Ill have to cover the walls and furniture, or that could get pretty ugly fast. In full disclosure im a really awful painter!!

Thanks again for this. The only ones I found previously were standard office tiles but in black and were the same cost as these, at least this gets me light ansorbtion and attenuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 261 Old 03-19-2019, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Thanks Jon, and FOH, I certainly follow Jon's suggestion to use the tiles he mentioned, as I switched out to just the "standard" black tile like the "Standard" white tile painted and they A) Aren't as dark and are more reflective, and b)They rattle and drop particles of the compressed stuff they are made out of on occasion.

The paint Jon couldn't remember is "Mouse Ears" from HD, but what I actually did to preserve the existing grid was to buy a bunch of rolls of felt telescope flocking tape and taped over the entire grid. Once in a groove, it probably took less time than painting tbh, AND I can remove it and go back to white grid if needed. (Don't see any reason to while the room remains an HT tho)
I love the felt tape idea. I thought of that, which also makes the install a lot easier. I have the fissured tiles now in White, and temporarily installed panels that Magnet to the grid in front of the screen to kill a lot of the reflection. It was a quick and dirty answer to the issue, but I really think I'm going to dive into those tiles and felt tape. It really changes the room entirely. I was actually going to get some basic cheap tiles from HD, and wrap those in the felt JoANN fabric material I did the panels in, and throw them up there, but, I think doing this right is the way to go. @Archaea I have the same lolly column issue in the midline of the room you do, our spaces are similar. I make the best of it. It's wide but not deep. I am able to barely fit a 135" 1.78 AT in though, with about a 8' viewing distance. If I went the long way and split there room in half I'd be left with only a 100" screen size. Blah. The room was finished when I bought the house, in retrospect I wish now it wasn't and was a blank canvas. I'll post some before and after photos soon, I'm in the midst of upgrading a lot down there, so I'll share when it's done.

Thanks guys!
Oh and, I'll need that anti-rattle and dust when I get the SK cut to go with the HSs.. You guys are a BAAAAD influence on me. Wife said I need to hang around with other kids on the playground! HAHA!
Archaea likes this.
post #243 of 261 Old 03-19-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOHTech View Post
Thanks for replying!! Those are very very impressive! Sharp looking too. This may also really help me with my sound transmission issue to the upper floors. My low freq content radiates upward, in part due to cement floor and walls and no insulation in the ceiling. Between these and the R30 that may really attenuate alot of that transmission.

Did you purchase locally or through a dealer that shipped? I’d like to get the lowest price obviously in that spectrum.

What did uou spray the grid with? Ill have to cover the walls and furniture, or that could get pretty ugly fast. In full disclosure im a really awful painter!!

Thanks again for this. The only ones I found previously were standard office tiles but in black and were the same cost as these, at least this gets me light ansorbtion and attenuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I didn't spray my grid. My wife and I hand painted it - which really isn't that hard. We just took a brush and a small roller and a couple hours. First I scruffed up the white finish a bit with sandpaper, then at it with the paint... You'll have all the tiles out anyway to put up the pink fluffy. I don't know if the felt route would be easier or not, but it really wasn't that difficult to paint, and I don't like painting either. I did, of course, put down plastic to protect the light carpet in my room. The paint will scrap off with a fingernail, but it's been up there for nearly five years and I've only touched up a few minor spots where something hit it, and it still looks great.

As to where I bought it, I searched here:
https://www.certainteed.com/where-to-buy

There was/is a big drywall distributor in my area that was the cheapest. I just picked them up locally. Call all the shops in your immediate area - there may only be a couple --- both retail and distributor -- There was a thread floating around here where people saw some pretty massive swings on the pricing - so it'll serve you well to shop around. $4-6 is low, $6-8 is average, $8-$12 was high IIRC from some of the feedback in that thread on these tiles.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 261 Old 03-20-2019, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
@Archaea , when you gave me the information months back I contacted a local company in the west bottoms in KC and the price they quoted me with black track and wire and 2'x2' tiles for my 14'x26' ceiling was around $670 or so for everything. Pretty good price I thought fire everything.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #245 of 261 Old 06-19-2019, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Great looking theater!

I noticed you are using a Severtson Cinema White MicroPerf 1.3, how is it working for you? Did you get a chance to compare it the Stewart ST130 before you bought the Severtson?

I am wondering how the picture and screen gain compare to each other since I am seriously considering the CWMP 1.3 vice the ST130 Microperf X2.

Thanks,
Ralph
post #246 of 261 Old 06-20-2019, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5622 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFan810 View Post
Great looking theater!

I noticed you are using a Severtson Cinema White MicroPerf 1.3, how is it working for you? Did you get a chance to compare it the Stewart ST130 before you bought the Severtson?

I am wondering how the picture and screen gain compare to each other since I am seriously considering the CWMP 1.3 vice the ST130 Microperf X2.

Thanks,
Ralph
Hey Ralph, thanks for looking in! Yes, I did have a sample of the ST130 that I compared a good amount with the Severtson and found them to be similar enough I couldn't tell a difference, therefore not really validating the price differential for me. Honestly what it came down to for me was between the CWMP and the Cima Perforado. While the Cima is a claimed 1.1 gain, it actually benches above that slightly and is a very quality material. Kind of the poor man's studiotek I ended up choosing the Severtson purely from an interest in ALSO getting the 1.8 gain so what I ended up with is the CWMP 1.3 gain on one side and the other side sprayed to the 1.8 gain. 1.8 gain side is what I was really pulling for but it turns out I am extremely sensitive to sparkles and that 1.8 gain material had enough of that I just couldn't do it. So I flipped it on over and have been happy with the 1.3 gain side on all content ever since. Aaron at Severtson was also amazing to work with and even when they originally sent me the wrong perf, they made it right and had a second screen material sent to me within a few days. Can't say enough about their service honestly.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #247 of 261 Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitoGeorge View Post
I read his message just fine thanks. I understood, however, that one could turn down his subs volume if he wanted to keep the 50's and just hear the music fuller range.

It seems that the greatest compliments offered to the Danleys are all kinds of resolution and point source abilities. It seems to me as an outsider that if they were that amazing, then why not keep them instead of swopping out for the JBL's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitoGeorge View Post
Ah - I get your reasons now - thanks Beast.

I thought the Danley's were the epitome of all things audio (according to every report), so its good to learn that they can be bested in more traditional formats. Quite liberating really.
Just wanted to touch back on this as I was reading through the last page for fun. Danley has now released a home cinema line where for domestic-sized spaces they have refined their already incredible designs for better HT-type usage. If there was one speaker I would buy right now not already having the JBL's, this new lineup would be the one honestly. I am so intrigued I've been buying extra lotto tickets with the hope of a windfall where I could scoop some without selling my 4367's. The VERY slight quams I had with the sh50's seem to have been addressed and these would provide an incredible theater experience IMO....and I am saying that "sight unseen" with complete confidence.

Just check out Danleycinema.com for more info.

post #248 of 261 Old 06-20-2019, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Hey Ralph, thanks for looking in! Yes, I did have a sample of the ST130 that I compared a good amount with the Severtson and found them to be similar enough I couldn't tell a difference, therefore not really validating the price differential for me. Honestly what it came down to for me was between the CWMP and the Cima Perforado. While the Cima is a claimed 1.1 gain, it actually benches above that slightly and is a very quality material. Kind of the poor man's studiotek I ended up choosing the Severtson purely from an interest in ALSO getting the 1.8 gain so what I ended up with is the CWMP 1.3 gain on one side and the other side sprayed to the 1.8 gain. 1.8 gain side is what I was really pulling for but it turns out I am extremely sensitive to sparkles and that 1.8 gain material had enough of that I just couldn't do it. So I flipped it on over and have been happy with the 1.3 gain side on all content ever since. Aaron at Severtson was also amazing to work with and even when they originally sent me the wrong perf, they made it right and had a second screen material sent to me within a few days. Can't say enough about their service honestly.
Thanks a bunch! Love your theater!
beastaudio likes this.
post #249 of 261 Old 06-20-2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Just wanted to touch back on this as I was reading through the last page for fun. Danley has now released a home cinema line where for domestic-sized spaces they have refined their already incredible designs for better HT-type usage. If there was one speaker I would buy right now not already having the JBL's, this new lineup would be the one honestly. I am so intrigued I've been buying extra lotto tickets with the hope of a windfall where I could scoop some without selling my 4367's. The VERY slight quams I had with the sh50's seem to have been addressed and these would provide an incredible theater experience IMO....and I am saying that "sight unseen" with complete confidence.

Just check out Danleycinema.com for more info.
Hey Beast,

Thanks for keeping me in the loop there - its terrific in this day and age to see someone so taken by past performance and belief in the products that it will remain in your mind to keep questions alive through a forum. That says confidence to me.

I read the website, and while the sub's dont dig as deep as you'll find on this DIY forum, the SPL and powerhandling is impressive to say the least. I can only imagine the price tag on these puppies.

Maybe one day I'll have a full theatre system of this too, and can rest with it for decades until they create a series of speakers with superior characteristics that beam into my body, the width of a pane of glass or something

Two thumbs up.
post #250 of 261 Old 06-21-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Hey @beastaudio , just checked your thread and saw that you are using JBL Synthesis 4367's as L/C/R. I thought you were using 4722N lollls. Have you used 4722N in your room? Really curious to know how 4722N compares with 4367. I'm sure 4367 would sound great for music but what about movies?
Also, you have custom surrounds. Any build thread on that?

Update: Just noticed that you are using Severtson perf. I use it as well and Love it. I am keeping 4722N like 2 feet behind the perf which makes the speaker almost touch the back wall. How far back are yours?

Last edited by harrisu; 06-21-2019 at 01:24 PM.
post #251 of 261 Old 06-21-2019, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
Hey @beastaudio , just checked your thread and saw that you are using JBL Synthesis 4367's as L/C/R. I thought you were using 4722N lollls. Have you used 4722N in your room? Really curious to know how 4722N compares with 4367. I'm sure 4367 would sound great for music but what about movies?
Also, you have custom surrounds. Any build thread on that?
I made a custom 4722 out of some old 4648 cabs I had (nearly identical to the 4722 cabs) and ordered up the 4722 horn and the 2453h-SL's which is the upgraded CD many are using currently. It was at that point that I realized I wanted to continue in that direction and move up to the m2's. After much consideration I opted for the 4367's so I could keep my own amps and not have to mess with the london processor and couldn't have been happier with my decision. They are pretty special speakers. The m2's are a shade better due to the active nature of their XO stuff but the margin is pretty slim IMO. The 4367's excel at anything you throw at them and can still rip your head off if you get a little liberal with the volume knob.

post #252 of 261 Old 06-21-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I made a custom 4722 out of some old 4648 cabs I had (nearly identical to the 4722 cabs) and ordered up the 4722 horn and the 2453h-SL's which is the upgraded CD many are using currently. It was at that point that I realized I wanted to continue in that direction and move up to the m2's. After much consideration I opted for the 4367's so I could keep my own amps and not have to mess with the london processor and couldn't have been happier with my decision. They are pretty special speakers. The m2's are a shade better due to the active nature of their XO stuff but the margin is pretty slim IMO. The 4367's excel at anything you throw at them and can still rip your head off if you get a little liberal with the volume knob.
Oh mannnn. Wish I could visit your HT to hear them. A couple years ago, I visited Gooddoc and listened to his M2. I was totally blown away with how amazing it sounded. 2 channel listening and no movies but oh wowww. There were some tracks that I felt like my head is in the single's throat (don't know if it makes any sense ;-) ). I just kept asking him to increase the volume and he eventually told me that I was listening above the reference level lollls. I was totally blown away. Funny thing is that he didn't have them is a dedicated room. I think he had 1 absorptive panel on 1st reflection and 2 panels on back wall because the back walls were like ~10' away from MLP.

Now if your 4367 are very close to M2 and they also sound great for movies, oh mannn I'm just keep on thinking how amazing they'd sound. 4722N are great for movies for sure. In fact, I recently made a change that brought them to live a lot more. I do have a dedicated sealed room but I ended up wrapping almost all the area b/w MLP and screen with black velvet to get a pitch black environment. Image with JVC looks awesome but I realized like a month ago only that black velvet was absorbing all the high frequencies. So I started looking into what I can do and I came up with the idea to poke tones of holes on the panels. Then I placed the reflective paper inside the panel with reflective side facing the room. This made the panels a lot more reflective to sound than before and at the same time kept the area pitch dark. Then re-calibrated room with Dirac and tried it out and MUCHHHH better. I can't even imagine what 4367 would do. Dannng, I can't find any pricing on these bad boys.
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #253 of 261 Old 06-21-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here's back at 1/6th octave on two stands for comparison from my previous 1/6th measurements:

How much of bass are you boosting b/w 100-200 here? Your custom curve goes 15dB hot from 200Hz to 100Hz? I'm assuming you are CO at 80 or 100Hz. Can you please share your curve values. 4722N has 2 15" drivers as you know but I run them flat. Each time I tried to boost MB, they sounded boomy. May be I need to make sure that I start from 200hz instead of 400.
post #254 of 261 Old 06-21-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Harrisu, nice work. It's always fun to work out those issues to greener pasture, satisfying IMO. I can never keep up with everyone, I assume you have the 2453H-SL? I def want to hear an M2 someday, maybe not if I find bliss but yea someday...

It would be pretty fun to do blind testing with an M2, 4367, upgraded 4722 and then the likes of what I'm building. Nice little reference tower running Hypex active: dual JBL 2265 15" woofs, 2452H with BEX4008 Beryllium diaphragms mated to the STX825 wave guide. Or essentially the same, Rob's BEX4008 upgraded 4722's running Hypex active. That would be some blind testing!

I read Dennis E stating JBL told him the M2 is not suited for home use, you heard that?

Am moving in 7 weeks so I'll build when I can...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5110.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	2582918  
post #255 of 261 Old 06-22-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Harrisu, nice work. It's always fun to work out those issues to greener pasture, satisfying IMO. I can never keep up with everyone, I assume you have the 2453H-SL? I def want to hear an M2 someday, maybe not if I find bliss but yea someday...

It would be pretty fun to do blind testing with an M2, 4367, upgraded 4722 and then the likes of what I'm building. Nice little reference tower running Hypex active: dual JBL 2265 15" woofs, 2452H with BEX4008 Beryllium diaphragms mated to the STX825 wave guide. Or essentially the same, Rob's BEX4008 upgraded 4722's running Hypex active. That would be some blind testing!

I read Dennis E stating JBL told him the M2 is not suited for home use, you heard that?

Am moving in 7 weeks so I'll build when I can...
Seems like you just settled into your current house after moving. I hope the move is for positive reasons and nothing bad.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the active "3677" clone. ..
post #256 of 261 Old 06-22-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Seems like you just settled into your current house after moving. I hope the move is for positive reasons and nothing bad.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the active "3677" clone. ..
This is pre moving Leaving CA at end of July.

Just got the last two 2452's the other day. Still need to order the BEX phragms but lots of variables moving from CA to ID at end of July so waiting on it and as mentioned elsewhere I'm a bit sour it's right at 2400 after sales tax now. I placed numerous calls to Materion and they cited new Tariff's are reasons for price spike. Worst case can use same type phragms the 2453H-SL has but I want to go BE, leave no stone unturned.

And we could call it a prob a BE upgraded 4722 clone I would think. It will essentially be the same as Rob's BEX/2452 upgraded and active 4722's. Just in a different form of 18 wide, 14 deep, 50 tall. And smaller wave guide so crossed steep at 800hz but same coverage.

Kinda ironic everyone is ending up with JBL in the end game lol. I suppose all those decades of research meant something.
post #257 of 261 Old 06-24-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
How much of bass are you boosting b/w 100-200 here? Your custom curve goes 15dB hot from 200Hz to 100Hz? I'm assuming you are CO at 80 or 100Hz. Can you please share your curve values. 4722N has 2 15" drivers as you know but I run them flat. Each time I tried to boost MB, they sounded boomy. May be I need to make sure that I start from 200hz instead of 400.
That graph I can't even remember which AVP I had honestly, haha. Probably the 7704? I have since moved from that to the anthem avm60 and now the Lexicon MC-10. My response curve now using the Lex mirrors the Harman target curve pretty accurately so it definitely looks a little different than that one. Back then I probably had a couple dB bump on the bass tone control on top of the subs being boosted obviously a little. I have a much smoother transition now from the mains to the subs.

post #258 of 261 Old 06-24-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I'm still using my baffle mounted, active 4622's. I found three brand new never installed Be phragms, all 3 for $900 (https://reconingspeakers.com/product...ium-diaphragm/). Then I also found 3 new, never used 2431 drivers in which I could install the Be phragms. I chose to look for new phragms and drivers because Rob tested an older, used 2435 and the results were not great. I chalked it up to the age of the driver.
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #259 of 261 Old 09-09-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4993 Post(s)
Liked: 3832
Don't you have the NX7/RS2000?

Have you seen this? https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...10-performance

Sounds like it could replace the need for the Lumagen for DTM. Thoughts?
post #260 of 261 Old 09-10-2019, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Don't you have the NX7/RS2000?

Have you seen this? https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...10-performance

Sounds like it could replace the need for the Lumagen for DTM. Thoughts?
Yes I have, and, I can't wait to try out this new feature to say the least! I feel like this is something JVC is doing to satiate those of us that had such a painstakingly long wait to finally get our pre-ordered units; otherwise, had they have released these first run units on time, this might have all just crept into a new mid-year model like they have historically. I am beyond thrilled that JVC is rewarding our patience with this update however and hope that they have done their due diligence to get things right I have no doubt they have, and that slight tweaks with further updates will only improve the presentation. If it performs as it should though, this is will push the JVC line further into first place for similarly priced PJ's as they will be the only PJ's that will actually be able to do HDR properly OOTB, without a standalone unit like the lumagen.

The lumagen still is very enticing, but provided the implementation is done well, it kinda pushes the paladin back into first place for me atm...especially with ana. D mode now ALSO coming in that update.
mikela likes this.

post #261 of 261 Old 09-12-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4993 Post(s)
Liked: 3832
Quote:
Yes I have, and, I can't wait to try out this new feature to say the least! I feel like this is something JVC is doing to satiate those of us that had such a painstakingly long wait to finally get our pre-ordered units; otherwise, had they have released these first run units on time, this might have all just crept into a new mid-year model like they have historically. I am beyond thrilled that JVC is rewarding our patience with this update however and hope that they have done their due diligence to get things right I have no doubt they have, and that slight tweaks with further updates will only improve the presentation. If it performs as it should though, this is will push the JVC line further into first place for similarly priced PJ's as they will be the only PJ's that will actually be able to do HDR properly OOTB, without a standalone unit like the lumagen.

The lumagen still is very enticing, but provided the implementation is done well, it kinda pushes the paladin back into first place for me atm...especially with ana. D mode now ALSO coming in that update.
Given the update is FREE, it makes perfect sense to move the Paladin into first place. Then if you decide at some time in the future, that the update doesn't give you what you want, save your pennies (approximately 50,000 of them) and purchase a Lumagen.
mikela and beastaudio like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Danley Sound Labs , jbl synthesis , Marantz , Stereo Integrity , VPL-VW350ES , zod audio