8Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Holmes Family Theater

Hello AVS,

Having been a member for a few years I thought it was about time for me to contribute to the knowledge base. My wife and I recently built a new home in Castle Rock, CO and I was fortunate enough to have a dedicated space for a home theater (18x14x9). While I was unable to really do any modifications during the building process (don't ask) I was given nearly total control of the room once it was completed. So below is a photographic list of how our theater space is coming along. We have not really chosen a theme as others have, but it has become an extremely cozy space and at least once a week we go down to the cinema. Where possible I have completed all of the work myself short of laying the carpet on the riser and building the GIK panels.

Early Stages

Riser Build

LED Steps Added

HSU Subwoofer Added and Center Channel Mounted

GIK Art Panels

Dolby ATMOS

As an acknowledgement, I have greatly appreciated all of the contributions to this site and without knowing it several members greatly helped me get to the point I am at today. Special acknowledgment to Spaceman, KBMAN, luma, and NickBuol.

Screen
Visual Apex Fixed Frame 110" Screen (Mine is an older version than the one linked, white screen)

Projector

BenQ W1070

A/V Processor
Yamaha RX-A2040 9.2

Blu-Ray Player and Digital Media Hub
OPPO BDP-103D

Speakers

Sound Treatment
GIK Acoustics 242 Panel
GIK Acoustics 244 Bass Panel

Initial Construction Photos

Here are some early shots of the build process. The construction is standard 2x4 framing with the low voltage connections being placed on the right wall. The thought behind this was that if the room ever needed to become a multi-purpose room it would allow for more movement side to side. As a dedicated theater I have found other uses for the outlets (IR repeater, etc. See Below)

Egress Window (Left Wall)

Projection Wall

Right Wall (Lower Breaker Box)

Entry Door and Right Wall (Low Voltage Box)

In the above photos you can see not only the framing, but also the location of the lower breaker box, the low voltage (CAT5, Cable, etc.) box and the steel support beam that runs through the room. This beam (soon to be box) has been the largest hurdle to overcome in my project.

Last edited by cholmes1; 10-07-2017 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

In the below photos you will see the earliest iteration of the theater. You are looking at a VAPEX fixed frame 110" screen, a BenQ W1070 projector, a Gen 1 Klipsch Quintet, and outside of the room a Yamaha RX-A2040. I did not have stands or a couch so I used paint buckets and a bar stool to at least enjoy the work it took to get to that point...as a brief word of advice. Once you see an image your building progress will likely slow unless you have additional motivating factors (wife, etc.). It seems the last 10% to finish this project is certainly going to take the longest...

BenQ W1070 (Needed a very short throw due to duct)

First YPAO calibration

Make shift A/V rack (all speaker wires and the IR are run out of the room to the adjoining 'cold storage' basement)

Surprised at how well full paint buckets worked as speaker stands...

While I was happy with the progress, the idea behind any HT project is to bring others in on your hobby/passion. This meant that seats were needed and the overall W.A.F. of the room needed to increase. To that point my wife was kind enough to watch movies laying on the floor. Think 'drive/sleep in movie.' It was not the worst thing, but laying on concrete with only a 1/2" pad and carpet between you can make for a stiff back upon standing, plus the acoustics were a joke at that level.

In the next series of photos, after months of looking I was able to locate 'theater couches.' The original plan called for dedicated theater seats, but they were too constricting and really did not have the versatility I was looking for. These were purchased at American Furniture Warehouse (https://www.afwonline.com/ic280frm.a...-500PRLhttp:// and https://www.afwonline.com/furniture/...table-e-500prs) and the front seats have a remote cubby, two stainless steel cup holders, and power recline function. The rear seats also have the power recline, but also have an option where the middle seat can be opened into a small table with cup holders and LED lights. The overall rating on the seats has been outstanding, not only from my wife and I, but the many family and guests we have watched movies with. The only downside is that they are soft enough that it is easy to fall asleep.

Last edited by cholmes1; 08-19-2015 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Labeled Photos
post #3 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

In the next series of photos you will see some of the small 'options' I have added to the theater. I have run an IR repeater to move the equipment out, I have added an Oppo BDP-103D to serve as the dedicated media player, blacked out (BlackoutEZ) the egress window and for sound added the heaviest roman shade from ShadesShuttersBlinds (the before picture is their 'blackout' it was a joke), and the largest experience improvement addition to date is installing my B&W speakers to replace the Klipsch set. These are speakers that I had previously installed in my fathers home theater, but as he is more focused on the vocals and clarity these days and less on full range, we swapped (Klipsch Quintet for B&W 6 series). Even better was that on my parents most recent visit he was able to bring them from IL in the back of his truck so shipping was free. Fronts: 604 S2's Center: CC6 Surrounds: DS6's

IR Repeater

Oppo BDP-103D, External 4TB HD, and Yamaha RX-A2040 (the blue painters tape is holding the IR emitters)

This is ShadeShuttersBlinds 'Blackout' Curtain at 11:30AM. Way too much light to be acceptable, but thick fabric does well in absorbing sound

Bought a BlackoutEZ cover so that the functionality of the window remained intact in case of an emergency, but still blocked 100% of light.

The light spill on the right is actually light being reflected from the SSB Blackout backing...

Completely sealed...No light and no sound now :-)

Photo shows the mounted B&W DS6 (These have been an amazing addition)

B&W 604 S2's and B&W CC6 (Center speaker standing pending. Currently the 'tub' is filled with sand and the speaker is resting on a closed cell foam to absorb vibrations) Also, the sub (KSW 12) has been moved to between the Left Channel and Center. In the future I hope to mount the center channel and place the sub beneath as this is where the bass dispersion appears best for the room based on my 'crawl.'

Last edited by cholmes1; 10-21-2016 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

The most recent update has been the rear seat riser. Being 6'9 I had several occasions where I was forced to the back because guests could not easily see. As I do not like being moved out of the MLP, a fix was a must.

In terms of materials most all of the items were purchased at Lowes or Home Depot. The LED lights came from DEKOR and the carpet was matched to our existing and professionally installed. As I am not someone who is comfortable with carpentry I was very fortunate to have a retired building contractor next door who literally taught me everything. I made every cut, placed every screw and nail, and he provided his brilliance. While I did have a few mistakes, the learning from this project alone as been invaluable. As a note, the riser calculator output showed that I needed my riser to be at least 16" in height. To accomplish this I used 2x12 with 2x4 mounted to their tops (screws and LiquidNails), I also added two layers of OSB with roofing paper between (Screws and LiquidNails), finally the same 1/2" padding and carpet was used in an attempt to create a seamless match to the rest of the basement. ** Given my limited skill set, I am certain that this project can be completed for a few hundred less, but to obtain this strength and stability I could not think of an easier way. **

Supplies Excel File

Room Prepped (this was overkill, but better safe than sorry)

Framing Begins...steps were cut in on the room entry side and on the left side of the front row. I had to inset the steps on the left side so that 'climbers' would not hit the mounted DS6.

Stair tread test fit...

Last edited by cholmes1; 11-09-2015 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Updated Link
post #5 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

2x4's were mounted above the 2x12 frame and 2x8 joists were installed using joist hangers that split between the mounted 2x4 and the base 2x12 for added stability

Here you can more easily see how the 2x4 was mounted onto the 2x12

Measurement Test

Conduit and DEKOR LED wire runs installed

The conduit was used to run an extension cord from the front to the back. The idea being that if anything electrical were to happen I wanted to be able to replace anything without having to tear the riser apart.

I used carpenter staples to hold the LED runs in place and left plenty of slack in case they needed to be stripped or repaired.

Cannot praise BlueHawk painters tape enough. It has amazing grip for these types of projects, it is ***** for painters tape, but great for no residue holding

Last edited by cholmes1; 08-20-2015 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Labeled Photos
post #6 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

LED Lights Tested (Two pics are at 'theater brightness' and the other is at full bright)

Full Bright

'Theater' dim

Plastic sheeting and insulation installed. The sheeting was placed down and stapled to prevent fiberglass insulation from dragging across the carpet when the riser was finally moved into place. Worked amazingly well. Three loose layers of JM insulation were installed in every cavity.

Three layers of insulation installed into every cavity. Amazing difference once installed

This photos show how the stair cavities were insulated

Midway through I decided I wanted an access panel or 'cubby' to access the LED and seat recline transformers...

Hinges were recessed so as not to cause a carpet bulge, but ultimately it is hidden behind the first row...

Profile photo of access closed

Profile photo of access open

Extension cord and LED run start

Last edited by cholmes1; 08-19-2015 at 02:40 PM.
post #7 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Next was adding the two layers of OSB, roofing felt, and cutting the dissipation vents.

First layer of OSB mounted rough side up to create more traction for roofing felt...

Roofing felt laid and then the seams were taped along with the edges

Second layer of OSB laid so the smooth side was up. Try to line up the 'factory edges' to create the strongest/straightest seams possible for the lowest likelihood of squeaks.

Throughout the whole build measurements were constantly being done to ensure that the riser was square. Not only did the unit remain square at all corners down to 2mm , but I was also lucky to have OSB sheets that were cut square to make amazing joints.

The next step was installing the stair treads. These were purchased from a lumber yard to the same specifications as the treads that lead down to the basement...for added support (pressed Hemlock) small pieces of 2x4 were installed to reduce the likelihood of a break after years of use. The holes you see cut are for the LED wire runs. LED installation had to wait until after the carpet was installed so the LED end caps were taped into place just inside the holes.

Here you can see one of the support blocks alongside an LED access hole

Last edited by cholmes1; 11-09-2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Labeled Photos
post #8 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

As a finishing touch prior to carpet I installed molding around the perimeter to keep the stair tuck (Hollywood Roll) look throughout.

For the vents I went with the smallest registers that HD offered. I then folded out the metal so that they did not need to be screwed into place.

post #9 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Time for carpet!!

Here you can see what that little bit of molding accomplished. Really did well in matching the stair tread rolls

Rear seat put into place over vents. This rear couch has 8 legs so the vents were placed between the legs so that they are not visible. You can also see how the LED runs pulled out of the carpet...

Here the LED's were installed so really only visible from carpet level...

Last edited by cholmes1; 08-19-2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Labeled Photos
post #10 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

LED Step Lights Installed

View from floor looking up...

Difficult to photograph LEDs on dim, but the light is very soft. Extremely similar to what you would see in an actual cinema when the movie is playing and completely unobtrusive.

The lights are operated from a remote so here they are going from full bright to 'theater' dim

Full bright (as bright as any traditional light)

Level 2 is only a small step down from full bright

Level 3 is a more significant step down, but still far too bright to leave on while viewing a movie

Level 4 is the lowest setting and by far the largest step down in brightness.

Last edited by cholmes1; 08-19-2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Labeled Photos
post #11 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Overall I could not be happier with the final result. The riser is as solid as anything (took three of us, with the riser on furniture sliders, to get it into place. I think with the countless screws, nails, Liquid Nails, and other dampers installed it could have a car parked on it and not squeak. (HIGHLY recommend the sliders!)

As a note, the slider in the rear corner cannot be used unless you are willing to have a permanent fixture. We used one on each of the outer corners and it worked well given the immense weight...

All Done These were taken with the overhead lights and stair lights at full bright

My next project will be installing acoustic panels with movie poster fabric overlays as outlined by luma. My plan is to buy GIK panels and then simply remove their fabric and install my own. I do not have the patience to mess with insulation batts or coming up with clever ways of installing diffusers in them.

Last edited by cholmes1; 01-10-2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Labeled Photos
post #12 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

This week I was able to install and calibrate my system with some new GIK sound panels. I installed five 242 panels on the reflection points and one 244 bass trap with diffusion on the rear wall. Now that I have the sound where I want it, I will be replacing the generic black fabric they supplied with custom screen printed fabric to display movie posters.

Last edited by cholmes1; 11-22-2015 at 11:36 AM.
post #13 of 34 Old 11-22-2015, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

I was also able to finally mount my center channel and upgrade my KSW 12 to an HSU VTF-1 MK2. To say the difference has been amazing would be an understatement. It has dramatically improved the entire space and because of the immense range it has upgraded all of the speakers and made watching movies that much more enjoyable. As a note, I originally purchased two, but the space is not large enough to warrant the second and it did nothing to help eliminate the null I found at 12-14Hz so it was returned.

----
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face..."

Dedicated Dolby ATMOS Theater Build

Last edited by cholmes1; 07-05-2016 at 08:53 AM.
post #14 of 34 Old 11-29-2015, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholmes1 View Post
Hello AVS,

Having been a member for a few years I thought it was about time for me to contribute to the knowledge base. My wife and I recently built a new home in Castle Rock, CO and I was fortunate enough to have a dedicated space for a home theater (18x14x9). While I was unable to really do any modifications during the building process (don't ask) I was given nearly total control of the room once it was completed. So below is a photographic list of how my theater space is coming along. Given we are from Chicago and love mafia movies we thought a 1920's Chicago style speakeasy theme would fit us. That said, not much progress has been made in the theme department yet, but that is part of the process. Once we get the sound panels up and a 'custom' door I believe the room will be able to better identify itself.

As an acknowledgement, I have greatly appreciated all of the contributions to this site and without knowing it several members greatly helped me get to the point I am at today. Special acknowledgment to Spaceman, KBMAN, and luma.

Here are some early shots of the build process. The construction is standard 2x4 framing with the low voltage connections being placed on the right wall. The thought behind this was that if the room ever needed to become a multi-purpose room it would allow for more movement side to side. As a dedicated theater I have found other uses for the outlets (IR repeater, etc. See Below)

Initial Construction Photos

Egress Window (Left Wall)

Projection Wall

Right Wall (Lower Breaker Box)

Entry Door and Right Wall (Low Voltage Box)

In the above photos you can see not only the framing, but also the location of the lower breaker box, the low voltage (CAT5, Cable, etc.) box and the steel support beam that runs through the room. This beam (soon to be box) has been the largest hurdle to overcome in my project.
I was looking at your basement and saying to myself,"did I wire this basement?" The wiring style is similar to mine. I checked where you live, CP. Maybe one of my cubs down the line, or someone who is very neat. I live in Lakewood.

If it doesn't kill you...it hurts like hell.
post #15 of 34 Old 11-30-2015, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkygod1 View Post
I was looking at your basement and saying to myself,"did I wire this basement?" The wiring style is similar to mine. I checked where you live, CP. Maybe one of my cubs down the line, or someone who is very neat. I live in Lakewood.
We live in CPV so it is possible that you or one of your kids did the wiring if you ever worked with Overall Electric. Our village has pretty strict codes regarding wiring that most of the surrounding areas do not have to follow. Either way we have been very happy with it.
Sparkygod1 likes this.

----

post #16 of 34 Old 12-24-2015, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

GIK Custom Art Panels

As stated in Post 12 it was always my intention to replace the generic black fabric on my GIK panels with poster art. NickBuol is the artist who worked to make these images fit these large panels and I have to say working with him was a joy. He really is extremely humble regarding his skillset and has amazingly quick turnarounds for as complicated as some of this work can be. All of the images were sourced from MovePosterDB and the panels were sourced from GIK and the prints were through Spoonflower.

The process was not overly difficult, just time consuming. Removing the staples from all of the GIK panels and then re-stapling all of the art to fit appropriately took about 40 minutes per panel. All in all not too bad, and the end result is really amazing and helps to really define the space.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Process:

Removed black felt that came on original GIK panels...

Next I applied the new covering using a staple gun. The most difficult part is making certain everything lines up on the edges. After the first two it became clear the easiest method was to line up the top and bottom edges, then staple, then start at the middle of the sides and work my way to the outer edges.

Ultimately the process was pretty easy. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos but hopefully this provides some idea of the process. The first one is the only one I photographed and then after that I placed the remaining frames on saw horses which made it MUCH easier. Simply for the reason that you could see underneath as you were stretching the fabric to make certain it aligned properly

----

Last edited by cholmes1; 07-05-2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Update
post #17 of 34 Old 12-24-2015, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some close-ups of the posters. The quality of my camera is not the best, but know that all of the text is razor sharp and the images themselves look amazing.

Dark Knight

Dark Knight Rises (Originally Vertical, NickBuol Converted to Horizontal and Added Rain)

Gone With The Wind

Goodfellas

The Usual Suspects (The Source Image Was Poor, So NickBuol Created This Image)

Gladiator (By Far The Worst Source Image I Have Ever Seen. No Matter The Size It Was Just A Bunch Of C.G. Junk In The Background. NickBuol Cleaned All That Up)

Naylorman32 likes this.

----

post #18 of 34 Old 01-10-2016, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

The theater has gone ATMOS!

Just recently purchased four B&W CCM664's to complete a 5.1.4 setup. Below are some small photos of the install and my initial impressions of the speakers.

Unboxed

Ceiling Cuts

Installed and with or without grills

In summary the install was pretty straightforward, but I would caution potential adopters that these speakers do require a bit of depth so if you are in a basement install like mine you will need to make certain you have enough clearance between joists and the flooring above. In terms of the speakers themselves, they sound great. They have a wide dispersion and the tweeter as seen in the photo below can be tilted towards the MLP and when tilted to one of three positions, you simply switch the tab at the bottom so that the processor can acknowledge the tilt and apply the proper delay.

I purchased my first pair through eBay and the second pair through BestBuy with a combination of cash and rewards points.

The install occurred on Friday evening so naturally Saturday and Sunday were spent watching my small ATMOS collection of films
San Andreas
Mad Max - Fury Road
John Wick
and Dolby ATMOS CEDIA demo disc

Both San Andreas and Mad Max have a lot of bass from the heights which these speakers handled really well by comparison to some of the setups I heard at CEDIA. They have enough LF to hit the needed rumble before the frequency cut (70Hz) to my HSU subwoofer.

My setup is now complete, so aside from some general cosmetic changes and perhaps an upgraded projector and screen (2.35 ratio) way down the road I think I am done. Thanks to those of you who have viewed the setup and all of the members who have provided advice along the way.

If I can ever answer any questions or provide any insight please message me here or through PM's. I am always happy to help where I can..

Best,
C.H.
JustSayKB likes this.

----

Last edited by cholmes1; 01-14-2016 at 01:04 PM.
post #19 of 34 Old 01-14-2016, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Overall I could not be happier with the final result. The riser is as solid as anything (took three of us, with the riser on furniture sliders, to get it into place. I think with the countless screws, nails, Liquid Nails, and other dampers installed it could have a car parked on it and not squeak. (HIGHLY recommend the sliders!)

As a note, the slider in the rear corner cannot be used unless you are willing to have a permanent fixture. We used one on each of the outer corners and it worked well given the immense weight...

All Done These were taken with the overhead lights and stair lights at full bright

My next project will be installing acoustic panels with movie poster fabric overlays as outlined by luma. My plan is to buy GIK panels and then simply remove their fabric and install my own. I do not have the patience to mess with insulation batts or coming up with clever ways of installing diffusers in them.

That riser made a world of difference!
cholmes1 likes this.
post #20 of 34 Old 01-14-2016, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it did. Thanks for the feedback

----

post #21 of 34 Old 01-20-2016, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
nice theater! thanks for keeping the thread updated as you make changes I've enjoyed reading about them.
post #22 of 34 Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownTheater View Post
nice theater! thanks for keeping the thread updated as you make changes I've enjoyed reading about them.
Thanks for the compliment. Your theater looks great. I was most impressed with the quality you were able to achieve given the room location and acoustics you started with...really nice to see how far it has come from day 1 to now.

----

Last edited by cholmes1; 10-21-2016 at 09:50 AM.
post #23 of 34 Old 06-10-2016, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I have always been told speakers in the corners is not good, how does it sound??
post #24 of 34 Old 06-12-2016, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Speakers sound great! A big part of the success of my setup, by my ears, is the calibration. I used essentially every tool aside from a CPU.

If you look at the Dolby Atmos speaker map you will see similar angles. I think a lot of it has to do with creating that "atmosphere" effect with the heights

Here is the PDF I used for my setup: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...guidelines.pdf

Last edited by cholmes1; 07-05-2016 at 09:25 AM.
post #25 of 34 Old 07-01-2016, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Still setting up a dedicated HTPC for my digital films, but finally got around to building a Kodi setup. This is the shortest version, but the primary has trivia, silence cell phones, coming attractions in 1080p, the ATMOS promo, the HT Promo, and then movie start...

Really does create a neat experience when we have guests over and I place the LED's steps to dim when the trivia ends.

HTownTheater likes this.

----

post #26 of 34 Old 04-08-2017, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Newest addition to the theater is my signed (Chase, Matheson, Wendt, Davis, Wheeler-Nicholson) Fletch poster.

Next stop 4K/UHD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1595_1491672536872.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	2074193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1596_1491672555575.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	2074201  
post #27 of 34 Old 04-08-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did you cover your riser vents with the carpet??
post #28 of 34 Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

No. You would never want to cover the vents with carpet. Their purpose is to allow for the free flow of air into and out of the riser as pressure changes in the theater space. If you cover the vents (especially with carpet) you would essentially have a sealed box which would completely change the acoustics properties.

Not all theaters need an open riser in the same way that not all will do well with a sealed riser.

Hope this helps...
Beams37 likes this.
post #29 of 34 Old 04-08-2017, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
No. You would never want to cover the vents with carpet. Their purpose is to allow for the free flow of air into and out of the riser as pressure changes in the theater space. If you cover the vents (especially with carpet) you would essentially have a sealed box which would completely change the acoustics properties.

Not all theaters need an open riser in the same way that not all will do well with a sealed riser.

Hope this helps...
Thanks.
post #30 of 34 Old 04-09-2017, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Still setting up a dedicated HTPC for my digital films, but finally got around to building a Kodi setup. This is the shortest version, but the primary has trivia, silence cell phones, coming attractions in 1080p, the ATMOS promo, the HT Promo, and then movie start...

Really does create a neat experience when we have guests over and I place the LED's steps to dim when the trivia ends.

https://youtu.be/WfXDnDIhVGA

That is really neat. You built that using Kodi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page