Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #1 of 117 Old 09-14-2015, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ten Dollar Banana Theater

So I am a long time lurker here who has been waiting for the time to arise to post my own build thread. Well that time has finally arrived - though maybe I'm a little premature. I am just starting construction on a new house. I've planned a dedicated theater in the basement. The space is 16'4"x22'. The basement ceiling height is 8'8" with a 15 inch drop in the floor height for the theater - leaving just shy of 10'.

The basement is being finished by my contractors - but I plan on doing quite a bit of the work in the theater myself. The design for the space is being done by Nyal from Acoustic Frontiers - but it's still being finalized so additional details are to come. The plan is for clips and DD and some kind of funky floating floor. I'm planning on 2 rows of 4 seats with a 7.x.4 Dolby Atmos speaker arrangement. We have had some discussions on the equipment but for now I'll keep that under wraps - especially since I'm a ways away from getting into the room and things seem to change quickly - especially with CEDIA coming up. Mostly I'm just excited to be joining the theater elite here.

I'll try and keep up to date with photos - I think everyone likes photos. The basement walls are poured and we're quickly getting closer to some framing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0946.jpg
Views:	2750
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	940882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0945.jpg
Views:	2702
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	940890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0943.jpg
Views:	2726
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	940898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Layout.jpg
Views:	3280
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	940906  

Last edited by Rootcanal; 09-14-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 Old 09-14-2015, 09:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5290 Post(s)
Liked: 4886
Keep the pictures coming, I don't think I've ever seen basement wall frames go up before the floor was poured. Do you have that expansive soil issue like Colorado? Very interesting, you will be glad you went deeper for the theater.

I look at the diagram of the basement and the location of the furnaces, I hope you have a plan to keep them from bringing ducts across the ceiling space of the theater.

I don't see the lowered floor for the entranceway as shown in the floorplan.
Mr.Tim and Squirrel! like this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 09-14-2015 at 09:47 PM.
post #3 of 117 Old 09-14-2015, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Keep the pictures coming, I don't think I've ever seen basement wall frames go up before the floor was poured. Do you have that expansive soil issue like Colorado? Very interesting, you will be glad you went deeper for the theater.
I'll admit I'm not sure what the expansive soil issue is. Commonplace here to just put a footing and then form up basement walls after. Never really considered why honestly.

Quote:
I look at the diagram of the basement and the location of the furnaces, I hope you have a plan to keep them from bringing ducts across the ceiling space of the theater.
Yes, the floor joists run from the front to the back and the main furnace feeder line will follow it with branches coming off it to the left and right. I believe we should be fine in that regard. The basement heating is all radiant in floor heating. The GC is a family member so I have excellent control. Those turkeys already tried to put a sump pump in there. Nope!

Quote:
The floorplan I uploaded was actually a draft that still didn't have construction detail. I thought it would be more clear. The drop is there! And visible on the third picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 117 Old 09-15-2015, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

I'm curious too, about the final flooring in the basement. It looks like crushed rock or some other type of aggregate in the pics, but you also mentioned having radiant floor heating. Are they going to poor a concrete pad or install some other base? And like Big mentioned, keep track of those subs....they'll sneak things in if you're not on them. Keep the pics coming....

Brad
AVR Anthen AVM 60 Amp Emotiva XPA-7 & XPA-5 Sources Oppo 203, FireTV, FiOS
Speakers Atmos 7.2.4 - TruAudio B23-465s (LCRs), TruAudio B23-265s (SL/R & SB), Dual SVS PC-2000s (Subs), 4 In Ceilings
PJ JVC RS500 Screen 153" DIY 2.35:1 Spandex
My crazy long build Coffered Ceiling
post #5 of 117 Old 09-15-2015, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpassman View Post
I'm curious too, about the final flooring in the basement. It looks like crushed rock or some other type of aggregate in the pics, but you also mentioned having radiant floor heating. Are they going to poor a concrete pad or install some other base? And like Big mentioned, keep track of those subs....they'll sneak things in if you're not on them. Keep the pics coming....
Yes - the basement will be concrete slab. On top of the gravel goes a layer foam insulation (you can see it bagged in the corner of the theater space). Then rebar. Then lines for in floor heating. Then the concrete. The crushed rock is typically there to make it easier for the plumber to get his drain lines in the basement. I'll put some more pictures up as things move along.
post #6 of 117 Old 09-16-2015, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Since there were a few questions about the flooring - adding a progress picture of the prep for the radiant heating. Most of the 1/2" foam down and covered with rebar. Just need to complete the theater floor and the garage floor. A bit rainy today. :/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0957.jpg
Views:	2624
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	944554  
post #7 of 117 Old 09-16-2015, 08:25 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Are you planning to enter at riser height?
post #8 of 117 Old 09-16-2015, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you planning to enter at riser height?
Yes. One step up to the second tier. Two down to the main level.
post #9 of 117 Old 09-16-2015, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 147
THIS is how you do it. You build a house AROUND the theater!

Make it epic! Looking forward to following along...I needed a new thread to sub, mine all seemed to stop building.
ellisr63, Rootcanal and STAIN0 like this.
post #10 of 117 Old 09-17-2015, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Radiant heat for the theater also?

I've been in one home theater, with radiant heat. It was a room with an underpinned section that became the lower level. It also
has the blue foam insulation, with embedded radiant lines in the concrete layer. Most impressive, and it's left a lasting
impression, as something I'd want for a dream room. Add in entry at riser level, and you're already checking off a lot of
my "wants" for my next room.

Looks like the benching for the theater's internal walls will be part and parcel of the floor pour? I'm curious as to how the
concrete is going down, whether it will be a two part pour, or all at once?
post #11 of 117 Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Sweet build!! Lol, maybe I shouldn't ask but where does the Ten Dollar Banana come in?
post #12 of 117 Old 09-17-2015, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Radiant heat for the theater also?
I've been in one home theater, with radiant heat. It was a room with an underpinned section that became the lower level. It also
has the blue foam insulation, with embedded radiant lines in the concrete layer. Most impressive, and it's left a lasting
impression, as something I'd want for a dream room. Add in entry at riser level, and you're already checking off a lot of
my "wants" for my next room.
Coming from a cold weather climate - I often find that the forced air basements aren't overly inviting in the winter. My parents put in radiant heating in their home a few years back and I can't believe how nice it is. I'd recommend it to anyone that lives in snowy climates. I'm glad you approve! I wish that I had just a little bit more square footage - but I have 4 kids and they needed someplace to sleep and the footprint for the house was already getting pretty big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Looks like the benching for the theater's internal walls will be part and parcel of the floor pour? I'm curious as to how the
concrete is going down, whether it will be a two part pour, or all at once?
The plan is one pour - but the cement work has been a little unpredictable on this build so far so I guess there is a chance it will end up getting broken up. It's scheduled for Monday - so you can see it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
Sweet build!! Lol, maybe I shouldn't ask but where does the Ten Dollar Banana come in?
It is a reference to one of my favorite television shows - Arrested Development. If you haven't seen it you should!
I saw a little symbolism there - but I'll let you extract your own interpretation.
GreySkies and Squirrel! like this.

Last edited by Rootcanal; 09-17-2015 at 08:02 AM.
post #13 of 117 Old 09-17-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Hilarious,

Sub'd, this is gonna be a fun build. Good luck with everything.
Rootcanal likes this.
post #14 of 117 Old 09-17-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 362
I've never seen floors done like that before. Interesting. Probably saves them from having to slope the sides away from the hole during construction?
post #15 of 117 Old 09-17-2015, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
THIS is how you do it. You build a house AROUND the theater!
For some reason I always like the whole house build threads... We were able to make a similar design choice and drop the theater excavation by 16" (compared to the rest of the basement) during the build... Sure beats doing it later.

So we walk in at riser level.

Joe V
Time > Money

V-T Theater 2.0
V-T Theater 1.0
post #16 of 117 Old 09-17-2015, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyv View Post
For some reason I always like the whole house build threads... We were able to make a similar design choice and drop the theater excavation by 16" (compared to the rest of the basement) during the build... Sure beats doing it later.

So we walk in at riser level.
Yeah - I feel very fortunate. Not a lot of people have the opportunity to build a house around a theater. Other than not quite having the square footage I'd like I can build it as I like! I'm lucky to have a wife that was ok with that - and to have the resources to do it too.
post #17 of 117 Old 09-19-2015, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Another build progress post. All the lines for the radiant heating are in and pressurized. You can see the manifold attached to the back of the screen wall. Concrete goes over top on Monday morning.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0967.jpg
Views:	2301
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	952178  
post #18 of 117 Old 09-19-2015, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Looking good Rootcanal! Where in Alberta are you? Most of my family is in Alberta (Edmonton area) or BC; mom is full blooded Canadian making me half (yes, I did play hockey).

Curious if you know what it cost to do the radiant slab? I always thought that I would do a radiant slab for the basement of our next home but was turned off to them after walking through 3 pre-existing homes before deciding to build the project we are working on now. Every one of these houses had excessively warm temps going into my feet and I really didn't like my feet being warmed up like that (even though I realize that the owners had probably goosed the temps a bit to accentuate the radiant heating system). We are pouring next week and it's still not too late to change my mind...
post #19 of 117 Old 09-20-2015, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
Looking good Rootcanal! Where in Alberta are you? Most of my family is in Alberta (Edmonton area) or BC; mom is full blooded Canadian making me half (yes, I did play hockey).

Curious if you know what it cost to do the radiant slab? I always thought that I would do a radiant slab for the basement of our next home but was turned off to them after walking through 3 pre-existing homes before deciding to build the project we are working on now. Every one of these houses had excessively warm temps going into my feet and I really didn't like my feet being warmed up like that (even though I realize that the owners had probably goosed the temps a bit to accentuate the radiant heating system). We are pouring next week and it's still not too late to change my mind...
I'm far in Southern Alberta - just outside of Medicine Hat.

I don't know the exact cost - it is going to depend on your square footage. The cost is actually fairly competitive with forced air. You can put a smaller furnace in since it is working for the main floor only but a boiler is a bit more than a small furnace. My radiant heating is extending to my garage floor so I save from having to have a separate garage heater. Honestly - when all the dusts settles I would say it's about the same - maybe a bit more to do radiant than forced air. It is a different sensation for sure - but I really like the way it makes a basement feel. It's not for everyone I guess.
post #20 of 117 Old 09-20-2015, 02:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

How are you planning on cooling the theater?
post #21 of 117 Old 09-20-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't you just run the water through those pipes in reverse?
post #22 of 117 Old 09-20-2015, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Now that is where things get a lot more interesting. I was thinking the best thing to do would be an air exchange system from the rest of the basement - similar to the dead vent system proposed by Ted White. Nyal mentioned possibly pulling supply air from the utility room. (Wow - I just had a look at the plan I uploaded - there are a few things that are wrong) The fridge in the wet bar will actually be the equipment rack - with the back accessible through the storage room. I would collect hot air from the theater and the supply and vent it... somewhere. Not sure. I'm open to suggestions! Especially from cold weather folks that have to deal with temperature fluctuations. The area I live typically has wintertime lows of -25F or lower to summertime highs of 96F or higher.
post #23 of 117 Old 10-04-2015, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

So quite a bit has happened and I thought I'd add an update. The basement floor is all poured and the floor joists are in. Sheeting is also done but I don't have a picture. Enjoy! The joist picture is from above looking down on the theater. A third of the theater is under the front porch. That part of the floor is lower as we will eventually cover it with 3" of concrete.

It's getting easier to get a feel for the theater dimensions. This is looking at the screen wall.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG1003.jpg
Views:	2173
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	975865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1006.jpg
Views:	2154
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	975873  
post #24 of 117 Old 10-09-2015, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I might start sharing a few more details about what is planned for the space once construction is a little further along. Our tentative equipment list is:

• Screen - Seymour AV 115" 2.35:1
  • Projector - Sony 350ES or 600ES(Still not sure here - and will likely be the new versions that will be announced at CEDIA)
  • LCR - Procella Audio P8s
  • Surounds - Procella Audio P5s
  • 2 SVS PB-2000 and 2 SVS PC-2000
  • MiniDSP 2x4 for subs
  • Yamaha AVENTAGE RX A3050
  • Parasound Z for last 2 atmos channels

That is the way things are currently shaping up. The plan is 7.4.4.

The next step is to get the design elements of the room established. I'll post a few sketches in the next day or 2 and hopefully get some feedback from the knowledgeable.
post #25 of 117 Old 10-09-2015, 06:00 PM

Liked: 24
Looking Good!
post #26 of 117 Old 10-09-2015, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. Time to start planning an aesthetic. I have always love Kblaw2010's amazing theater. It is one of the best theaters I've seen. I'd really like to go for a similar tiered look - but just more micro - because I clearly don't have the room that he does. Perhaps it won't work - but I'm hoping the brilliant people here will have some insight. Because I am narrow (16'4" before isolation shell/accoustical treatments) I'd need to keep most of the tiered effect to the front of the room. The riser is about 9 1/3' deep. The room itself is 22' with about 30" hogged by a screen wall so I thought 3 tiered levels, the first would start about 3' infront of the screen wall, the next 6' which gets me to the first step, right before the door and then the last 9 feet of the second tier. Because I'm narrow I thought to step the walls by 6" and the ceiling by 8' (I have 10 feet of ceiling to work with). Also - by doing this am I going to create a triple leaf problem? Anyways - here are a few sketches. I am by no means a sketchup master - so they are pretty rough. I'll get around to putting a lid on the room still - but I think you can see where I'm coming from.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	theater01b.jpg
Views:	2027
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	985953   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater01a.jpg
Views:	2053
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	985961  
post #27 of 117 Old 10-10-2015, 04:35 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

A 115 screen is a little bit small, what are your planned viewing distances?
post #28 of 117 Old 10-10-2015, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Whoops. Screen width is 115" so for 2.35:1 that should actually be 125" on the diagnal. Front row screen viewing distance is about 10.5'. I think that is a bit better?
post #29 of 117 Old 10-10-2015, 12:07 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

not really I was already assuming 115 width. A 115 wide 2.35 screen will display a smaller 16:9 image than a 100 inch diag 16:9 screen. What this means is that for sporting events and TV/Cable programming you will have pretty small image. Think of going just a tad wider. If you are a second row person much larger.
post #30 of 117 Old 10-10-2015, 12:22 PM

...or do it like me and damelon in the Bacon Race and go 2:1! It's the best way to maximize both 2:35 and 16:9.
Tedd, BllDo and nandkisham like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page