Stating Project Jan 2016 - Creative mode *Suggestions please* - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-19-2015, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stating Project Jan 2016 - Creative mode *Suggestions please*

Hey Gang,
My wife and I purchased a different home with an interesting design which I would like to hear suggestions feedback of the layout of the basement and if there is really enough room to put a dedicated theater or just finish the basement into a great entertainment space. I will include a pic to scale of the basement with dimensions and also my first draft of utilizing all the space possible.

There are a few rules that my wife and I have set forth:
1. The big ass gym quality treadmill has to find a home somewhere
2. I just acquired an 8 foot pool table - really would like to keep
3. Love to setup a shuffle board along the long wall (29' 3" wall) *maybe a 14' table
4. Need a bathroom plumbed in, and plumber told me to pick location and $1500 and the rough-in will be done
5. Like a bar - well because I work hard and I like to unwind with a drink at night (maybe 2 or 3)
6. The shelter room will be dedicated as wine storage and storm shelter since I live in Kansas and tornado's seem to like us here

I will be doing most all the work myself. My last theater I put in the Grafik 3506, to control all my lights and built my own speakers in the columns following all the advice and suggestions on the forum. The basement was nice in old house, but more just entertainment, not comfy theater...which is what I want to do if at all possible.

I realize that I will be looking into all new equipment, but I'm leaning towards a projector system.

So right now, just looking for ideas on how to layout the space and once again, I totally appreciate any feedback!

Here are pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OKane basement demensions.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	952258   Click image for larger version

Name:	OKane basement curved wall idea.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	952266  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-21-2015, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It looks like a reasonable space. The theater is going to shrink quite a bit with those dimensions if you add sound proofing and acoustic treatments. Two rows of 3 seats will be pushing it to have enough room to walk around on the sides. I like the curved wall look, but it is a challenge to install and does leave you with a fair amount of dead space. The pool table is a must have (for me at least) but MAN they need a lot of room. Basically a 15'x19' area just to have clearance on all sides for the cues.

James

My theater build 2015 (Circle N theater)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
post #3 of 8 Old 09-21-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 827
At first look, I liked the curved walls.

Second impression was just how much space, was being wasted.

Could you widen the theater and flip the theater end for end? That support post might be a good candidate to be
treated like SOWK did. An acoustically transparent screen and the AT space behind the screen, would eat up some of that
room depth between the support post and the front wall to bury the column much like SOWK did.

And if you squared off the inner stair wall to the theater wall, then is there a space to house the treadmill with a hdtv there?
And maybe the bar might be moved in front of the wine cellar/storm shelter. Looks like it might be a little tight circulation
space-wise where you have it. (But I sure do like the curved bar.)

If you opened up part of the outer circular stair wall, then you could create a longer sightline.

How much room is under the stair landing? Could some of this area be added to the bath room?

How tall is the basement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html.

Last edited by Tedd; 09-21-2015 at 08:33 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-21-2015, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

2D drawing that might be easier to view
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OKane basement demensions 2D.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	955618  
post #6 of 8 Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nitro - I appreciate the feedback and starting to think the curved wall for the theater might be too much. Looking into other design possibilities..
Thanks
Steve
post #7 of 8 Old 09-21-2015, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ted for the suggestions - I really like your idea of flipping the room, that might have a better flow including the support beam.

And if you squared off the inner stair wall to the theater wall, then is there a space to house the treadmill with a hdtv there?
Not sure what you are referring too

If you opened up part of the outer circular stair wall, then you could create a longer sightline.
I would like that, but it's all support under the stairwell with a little storage

How much room is under the stair landing? Could some of this area be added to the bath room?
The landing is the same level as the basement floor - I did just think that maybe find another spot for bathroom and put another door on that side of the landing...so come down stairs and go to left to enter theater and go right to enter wine/exercise/bar/pool table/etc

How tall is the basement?
9' except where the support and HVAC is and then it's right at 8'
post #8 of 8 Old 09-22-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was wondering if you could carve out a small gym space, or put the bathroom right by the theater
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OKane%20basement%20demensions%202D.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	957202  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page