Good technique for stapling GOM frames? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 6 Old 10-20-2015, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Good technique for stapling GOM frames?

So I've built a couple of these, and found that you staple one long side to the frame, then pull tight on the other side stapling from the middle out to both ends.

When I get to the ends, I am a complete mess. I cannot figure out how to make really nice ends and corners with this. I have my latest fabric frame sitting waiting for expert techniques from the forum

Can anyone recommend a technique for doing the ends of GOM frames? I seem to get bunched up folding over and then I cannot have the frames lay flat against my wall framing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by empirebuilder View Post
So I've built a couple of these, and found that you staple one long side to the frame, then pull tight on the other side stapling from the middle out to both ends.

When I get to the ends, I am a complete mess. I cannot figure out how to make really nice ends and corners with this. I have my latest fabric frame sitting waiting for expert techniques from the forum

Can anyone recommend a technique for doing the ends of GOM frames? I seem to get bunched up folding over and then I cannot have the frames lay flat against my wall framing.
Technique that has worked well for me is to start with a couple staples in the center of a long side, then go opposite side, stretch and staple a in the center. Then keep going back and forth couple staples, switch sides, couple staples, etc. Keep stretching and pulling out wrinkles, etc. as you go. I think the issue you are seeing is because you have stapled one complete side first.

The corners do require a technique of folding, but there will always be a bit more fabric on the corners. Below is a link to DIY Screen with blackout cloth, but goes into detail about stapling on a frame - same concept as GOM fabric panels.

http://www.eldamar.net/house/ht/screenHowTo.html
post #3 of 6 Old 10-21-2015, 07:46 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5959 Post(s)
Liked: 5528
I always staple one complete side first to get the fabric on straight (top), Then the other side (bottom) starting at the middle and working out. Then do the middle 1/3s of the two sides (left and right). Last I attack each corner. If you are stapling on the back I know what you are talking about how the fabric bunches up. You start with a nice pinch and fold on the outside edges but when you roll it over to the back it gets all gnarly. I just smash it down with some staples then take my scissors and give it a trim. You have to remember that what happens on the back of a fabric panel stays out of sight on the back.

You can practice wrapping some boxes with paper. once you figure out the pinch and fold maneuver it's downhill. You create a 45 degree seam on one edge. I always figure out where it will be the least visible.
auburnu008 likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-21-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-21-2015, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys I'll give that a shot.

Starting in the middle of the left and right sides is a technique I'll start with first as I had been going corner to corner.

Like everything else, I'll probably be really good at it by the time I finish my last panel
post #5 of 6 Old 10-21-2015, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post

The corners do require a technique of folding, but there will always be a bit more fabric on the corners. Below is a link to DIY Screen with blackout cloth, but goes into detail about stapling on a frame - same concept as GOM fabric panels.

http://www.eldamar.net/house/ht/screenHowTo.html
Ah, great visuals on doing a corner. I'll try this method right away!
post #6 of 6 Old 10-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by empirebuilder View Post
Ah, great visuals on doing a corner. I'll try this method right away!
Cool let us know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page