Javery's NJ Theater - finally started! - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 151Likes

post #571 of 742 Old 08-29-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
So... the screen was delivered today and I get this pic in a text from my wife:

It doesn't feel great to spend this kind of money and get a pit in my stomach when the package arrives. Stupid FedEx. I have no idea if anything is damaged inside but this isn't a good sign. I'm at work so I can't check until tonight but this sucks. I might not even be able to tell if anything is wrong until I assemble it, which won't happen for another week most likely... ugh.
That SUCK! I hope it is all there. What screen did you get?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 742 Old 08-29-2017, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 230
That's a good point - I hope nothing fell out of that giant hole in the box. This is pretty annoying but hopefully just damage to the box and everything is OK on the inside. I don't feel like assembling it tonight plus I'd have to do it inside the theater room because there's no way to get it downstairs once it is all put together. There is no wall to hang it on so then i'll worry about the frame warping if I have to lean it up against the wall for the next week.

It's a Seymour XD 130" Reference Series widescreen (RF130WS).
post #573 of 742 Old 08-29-2017, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
That's a good point - I hope nothing fell out of that giant hole in the box. This is pretty annoying but hopefully just damage to the box and everything is OK on the inside. I don't feel like assembling it tonight plus I'd have to do it inside the theater room because there's no way to get it downstairs once it is all put together. There is no wall to hang it on so then i'll worry about the frame warping if I have to lean it up against the wall for the next week.

It's a Seymour XD 130" Reference Series widescreen (RF130WS).
Yikes. That's pretty ugly. Hopefully no internal damage. From what I remember from my Seymour screen it was packaged pretty well inside the outer box so fingers crossed there aren't issues. The screen itself comes rolled in one of those thick cardboard tubes. The frame is pretty rugged and shouldn't bend unless the Fedex driver decided to run it over with his truck, which may have happened from the locks of things. They claim they don't sag or warp while hanging on a wall for years so unless there was significant stress, it should hopefully be intact. There aren't that many loose parts in the box either from what I recall. My biggest concern would be the velvet tearing off the frame. You can assemble and disassemble pretty easily, if need be, to make sure it's ok. It's just a few screws in the corners and it's ready for the screen.
Ladeback likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 742 Old 08-29-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You should be have and materials list with the package or be able to get one from Seymour so you can check and make sure at least everything is there. I also wouldn't worry about it wrapping if you assemble it and lean it against the wall. If you are worried about the frame being damaged that should be pretty obvious when you look at it. Hope all is good with it.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #575 of 742 Old 09-06-2017, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Screen was all good except for one bracket used to assemble the frame not being square:

I had a new one in hand in less than a day! Thanks to Mike at AV Science for taking care of this for me and to Seymour for shipping out the bracket lightning fast! Anyway, I'll have more pics to post later but it's happening!!!

The screen is huge. I'm so glad I didn't go any bigger believe it or not. Pretty exciting - now I need to figure out how to elevate the speakers behind the screen and I still need to figure out the padding for the floor back there. Carpet has been ordered and can be installed next week. The seats are at the warehouse and can be delivered with 3 days notice. I'm really hoping by the end of the month I'll be completely finished - the last 10% is the hardest part!

I also need to start thinking about having someone come out and calibrate/hook up everything. I don't know what I'm doing! Anyone have any recommendations in northern NJ that I could reach out to?
Rengozu likes this.
post #576 of 742 Old 09-06-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 679
If the speakers wont be on top of subs, i used giant concrete blocks.
post #577 of 742 Old 09-06-2017, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Screen was all good except for one bracket used to assemble the frame not being square:

I had a new one in hand in less than a day! Thanks to Mike at AV Science for taking care of this for me and to Seymour for shipping out the bracket lightning fast! Anyway, I'll have more pics to post later but it's happening!!!

The screen is huge. I'm so glad I didn't go any bigger believe it or not. Pretty exciting - now I need to figure out how to elevate the speakers behind the screen and I still need to figure out the padding for the floor back there. Carpet has been ordered and can be installed next week. The seats are at the warehouse and can be delivered with 3 days notice. I'm really hoping by the end of the month I'll be completely finished - the last 10% is the hardest part!

I also need to start thinking about having someone come out and calibrate/hook up everything. I don't know what I'm doing! Anyone have any recommendations in northern NJ that I could reach out to?

Lucky for you. Fed-Ex absolutely butchered my Stewart 4-way Electrimask but thankfully Hideki from Stewart was able to send me out the necessary Velux material I needed to completely re-upholster my screen; the precision project to end all precision projects

Make sure whatever you place the speakers on is decoupled. I used .50" rubber matting from Home Depot and de-coupled at the base of my speaker stands and also on the shelf. Finished up by draping 2-25lb bags of sand over each stand base as well.
post #578 of 742 Old 09-06-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
If the speakers wont be on top of subs, i used giant concrete blocks.
Would cinder blocks work? I'm not sure what I should be doing. I also may need to elevate the subs a little bit based on where the bottom of the screen is located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKid View Post
Lucky for you. Fed-Ex absolutely butchered my Stewart 4-way Electrimask but thankfully Hideki from Stewart was able to send me out the necessary Velux material I needed to completely re-upholster my screen; the precision project to end all precision projects

Make sure whatever you place the speakers on is decoupled. I used .50" rubber matting from Home Depot and de-coupled at the base of my speaker stands and also on the shelf. Finished up by draping 2-25lb bags of sand over each stand base as well.
What is up with FedEx?? That stinks.

What do you mean by decoupled? Just make sure the stand is not fastened to the stage? I was planning on adding a layer of rubber matting on the floor so the stands would rest on the rubber. I could even add some rubber between the stand and the speaker if it will make a difference... 1/2" would be nice. I can only seem to find it in 1/8".
post #579 of 742 Old 09-06-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Would cinder blocks work? I'm not sure what I should be doing. I also may need to elevate the subs a little bit based on where the bottom of the screen is located.

What is up with FedEx?? That stinks.

What do you mean by decoupled? Just make sure the stand is not fastened to the stage? I was planning on adding a layer of rubber matting on the floor so the stands would rest on the rubber. I could even add some rubber between the stand and the speaker if it will make a difference... 1/2" would be nice. I can only seem to find it in 1/8".
I can possibly help you with hooking up things up; send me a PM. This is the matting i used:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Black-24-in-x-36-in-Anti-Fatigue-Vinyl-Foam-Commercial-Mat-60-571-0900-20000300/202015909#.UP66YGeYUYc

In this case Decoupling is simply making sure the speakers aren't sitting directly on hard surfaces which can create resonances. Mine are up on stands constructed of steel pipe and MDF.
post #580 of 742 Old 09-07-2017, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks - that Home Depot mat looks like it will work great. Did you glue yours down?
post #581 of 742 Old 09-07-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks - that Home Depot mat looks like it will work great. Did you glue yours down?

Nah- once the weight of the speaker is on it you won't have to worry about it going anywhere. You can always double up on the matting to make it 1".
post #582 of 742 Old 09-08-2017, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Excellent. I'll have to see if I can get a couple of them this weekend. I finished the 1099s yesterday and I need a place to put them!

The screen wall is being built - should be finished today. Posts were added running from top of stage to bottom of soffit spaced the width of the screen. Then once we figured out how high to hang the screen cross pieces were added along the bottom and top edges of where the screen will be. The top of the screen will end up only being 2" from the bottom of the soffit so that the back row of seats will be able to see the bottom based on the viewing angle. I won't really know how this works out until I sit down to watch something!

We did paint everything black - just in case! Nothing crazy - one coat and it's not even that neat.

Next, we figured out exactly where to mount the french cleats that came with the screen. They just screwed into the frame and the screen will hook onto them and hang on the wall.

Finally, the frames for the panels that will run along the sides, top and bottom were built (and painted black). These will be covered in FR701 fabric to match the ceiling panels and column panels.

The lone piece of wood sitting nearest to the edge of the riser is the top "panel" - since that is only 2" we are just wrapping this beam in fabric! I'm not sure if I should be adding linacoustic to the insides of these panels - the speakers should all be positioned behind the screen so these panels will not be blocking any sound but I'm not sure it is necessary. Any thoughts on this?
post #583 of 742 Old 09-08-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
I'm not sure if I should be adding linacoustic to the insides of these panels - the speakers should all be positioned behind the screen so these panels will not be blocking any sound but I'm not sure it is necessary. Any thoughts on this?
No, I don't think you want to do that. Let the back wall handle absorbing the reflected audio. I would think having the panels having backing would be like giving yourself a weak baffle wall, but it would be an incomplete one since you have the gaping hole where your screen is.
post #584 of 742 Old 09-08-2017, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
No, I don't think you want to do that. Let the back wall handle absorbing the reflected audio. I would think having the panels having backing would be like giving yourself a weak baffle wall, but it would be an incomplete one since you have the gaping hole where your screen is.
Thanks. I decided to not do anything. Screen wall is FINISHED! Pics later but I'm super excited.
post #585 of 742 Old 09-09-2017, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #586 of 742 Old 09-09-2017, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
1099s are done!
Just the two?

Looks like you've been trying them out. Happy?
post #587 of 742 Old 09-09-2017, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Dreamer View Post
Just the two?

Looks like you've been trying them out. Happy?
There's a third not pictured! I think I'm happy. They sound great but I have no point of reference since these are the first "real" speakers I've ever owned. I also read that I need to break them in which I think just means use them for a bunch of hours. I was testing them on the first floor, which is completely open so the acoustics are weird. Here's what they sound like:

post #588 of 742 Old 09-10-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
There's a third not pictured! I think I'm happy. They sound great but I have no point of reference since these are the first "real" speakers I've ever owned. I also read that I need to break them in which I think just means use them for a bunch of hours. I was testing them on the first floor, which is completely open so the acoustics are weird. Here's what they sound like:

Well, it's difficult for me to judge from that, as I'm in a hotel room listening on my iPad, so it's not really going to recreate what you're hearing.

Having said that, aside from a great choice of track, what I did hear bought a smile to my face. They appear to be clear and articulate, and I'm sure they'll fill your theatre with great sound. I'd say that's a win!
post #589 of 742 Old 09-10-2017, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Dreamer View Post
Well, it's difficult for me to judge from that, as I'm in a hotel room listening on my iPad, so it's not really going to recreate what you're hearing.

Having said that, aside from a great choice of track, what I did hear bought a smile to my face. They appear to be clear and articulate, and I'm sure they'll fill your theatre with great sound. I'd say that's a win!
I agree! They do sound great. I've never done this before so I don't have any expectations. When I was testing ONE of them at a pretty low setting my wife was saying it was too loud so there may be an issue once the theater room is done... uh oh... I really hope I can configure everything so movies are loud and crisp but not too loud if you know what I mean.

I just finished painting the DIYSG Stonehenge cabinets and I'm waiting on some Speakon connectors from Parts Express before I can finish those up. Once those are done I'll be down to the small details - carpet, seats (both scheduled for installation/delivery next week), rubber mat for speakers behind screen and probably some speaker stands for the LCRs. Then all that's left hooking everything up and calibrating. I really think I'll be watching a movie within 2 weeks!
UK Dreamer and bubbrik like this.
post #590 of 742 Old 09-10-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I agree! They do sound great. I've never done this before so I don't have any expectations. When I was testing ONE of them at a pretty low setting my wife was saying it was too loud so there may be an issue once the theater room is done... uh oh... I really hope I can configure everything so movies are loud and crisp but not too loud if you know what I mean........

........I really think I'll be watching a movie within 2 weeks!
I know that most, if not all, of the DIYSG speakers are easily driven and don't require vast amounts of power - that, IMO, is one of their strengths, leaving you with a lot of headroom, should you wish to crank it up.

The beauty of this, is that none of your amps get stressed driving these, so it's like running a V8 on tickover vs a small 4-pot screaming it's nuts off! Your whole theatre will simply 'breathe' more easily.

I'm excited for you; I hope you do get wrapped up in just a couple of weeks, I reckon I'm at least 3 months away!
post #591 of 742 Old 09-10-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Sorry. They sound just like the speakers on my monitor.

Great song for the maiden voyage! They look very nice as does the rest of your theater! Watching movies in 2 weeks? I'm officially jealous.
UK Dreamer likes this.
post #592 of 742 Old 09-11-2017, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Sorry. They sound just like the speakers on my monitor.

Great song for the maiden voyage! They look very nice as does the rest of your theater! Watching movies in 2 weeks? I'm officially jealous.
Hahaha - I guess the YouTube videos are kind of pointless!

So... over the weekend I made some more progress. The theater doors are now officially finished and they came out great. I filled some nail holes and added a second coat of paint. The doors are pretty thick and have some heft so I'm hoping they hold up as far as the soundproofing goes but I guess I won't know until everything is hooked up.

One little wrinkle was that we have the "S" handles in the adjoining room so I had to go out and buy a round knob by the same manufacturer and connect it to the "S" handle on the other side of the door. I did not want to make the cutout for the knob any bigger than what is shown and leaving the "S" handle on this side would have meant a much longer rectangular box that I don't think would have looked as nice. I'm really happy with how this came out.

Next - we got the screen hung!!! It looks ridiculous in person. It is huge and I'm so glad I did not go with the 140" screen like I was contemplating (this one is 130"). It is really stunning in person - now I just need to figure out how to hook everything up! Also, I don't like the Seymour logo plate on the bottom right corner - I'd like to figure out how to remove it without damaging the frame.

My punch list is shrinking...

Sump pump lid - I still need to figure out how to pad the underside of this thing to deaden any sounds that might originate from under there when the pump kicks on. I was thinking about stapling some insulation to the underside but I'm worried about moisture (there is none but I feel like whatever I end up doing should be somewhat waterproof just in case. I'm open to suggestions.

Carpet: ordered; installation expected to be scheduled for this week

Seats: delivery will be scheduled for day after carpet installation

Subs: they are built and painted but I'm waiting for a couple of parts before finishing. Should happen this week.

Floor behind screen: I need a rubber mat for back there or something plus stands for the LCRs

Equipment Closet: I need to figure out what to do with all of the wires. Right now everything ends outside of the closet so I have to figure out where I want the wires to enter the room (probably through ceiling using a short section of PVC).

That's pretty much it!
Fazzz, Ladeback, Rengozu and 1 others like this.
post #593 of 742 Old 09-11-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Screen looks just right - don't judge it based on a white screen with lights on, judge it with a projected image on surrounded by all black in a darkened theater. When you judge it that way, ill think you'll find that had you gone smaller, you'd have regrets.

When you think of the time and resources put in, the last thing you want to feel when watching a movie is that the screen should be more immersive.
post #594 of 742 Old 09-11-2017, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Screen looks just right - don't judge it based on a white screen with lights on, judge it with a projected image on surrounded by all black in a darkened theater. When you judge it that way, ill think you'll find that had you gone smaller, you'd have regrets.

When you think of the time and resources put in, the last thing you want to feel when watching a movie is that the screen should be more immersive.
Agreed. Definitely judge it with content on, and give it several hours of viewing. I actually found my screen to feel much larger when watching content. I think the image was much more stimulating than the white screen alone. I even thought my screen was too big at first, but then I adjusted and now I wish I had gone bigger, at least for scope movies (currently have 16:9 screen).
post #595 of 742 Old 09-11-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Theater is looking great.

On soundproofing the door for the sump pump, what about using 2" to 3" of Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation on the bottom side. Water or moister shouldn't bother it.

The doors look good, but did you know they make extensions for the knobs so it would out from the door more for like when blinds are on glass doors?

https://www.extendyourhandle.com/abo...dle-extenders/

On the screen logo, could you use felt or velvet to cover it up? I take it the screen was in tact and not damaged from shipping?

post #596 of 742 Old 09-11-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My gf said my screen looks "completely ridiculous" because of its size, but when she watched Beauty and the Beast this weekend, she was all smiles.
Ladeback likes this.
post #597 of 742 Old 09-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Your room is absolutely beautiful!
post #598 of 742 Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Hahaha - I guess the YouTube videos are kind of pointless!

So... over the weekend I made some more progress. The theater doors are now officially finished and they came out great. I filled some nail holes and added a second coat of paint. The doors are pretty thick and have some heft so I'm hoping they hold up as far as the soundproofing goes but I guess I won't know until everything is hooked up.

One little wrinkle was that we have the "S" handles in the adjoining room so I had to go out and buy a round knob by the same manufacturer and connect it to the "S" handle on the other side of the door. I did not want to make the cutout for the knob any bigger than what is shown and leaving the "S" handle on this side would have meant a much longer rectangular box that I don't think would have looked as nice. I'm really happy with how this came out.

Next - we got the screen hung!!! It looks ridiculous in person. It is huge and I'm so glad I did not go with the 140" screen like I was contemplating (this one is 130"). It is really stunning in person - now I just need to figure out how to hook everything up! Also, I don't like the Seymour logo plate on the bottom right corner - I'd like to figure out how to remove it without damaging the frame.

My punch list is shrinking...

Sump pump lid - I still need to figure out how to pad the underside of this thing to deaden any sounds that might originate from under there when the pump kicks on. I was thinking about stapling some insulation to the underside but I'm worried about moisture (there is none but I feel like whatever I end up doing should be somewhat waterproof just in case. I'm open to suggestions.

Carpet: ordered; installation expected to be scheduled for this week

Seats: delivery will be scheduled for day after carpet installation

Subs: they are built and painted but I'm waiting for a couple of parts before finishing. Should happen this week.

Floor behind screen: I need a rubber mat for back there or something plus stands for the LCRs

Equipment Closet: I need to figure out what to do with all of the wires. Right now everything ends outside of the closet so I have to figure out where I want the wires to enter the room (probably through ceiling using a short section of PVC).

That's pretty much it!

@javeryh the theater and those doors look amazing.

For rubber mats behind the screen, I am going to get these based on recommendation I read earlier on AVS. I did go see them in person and I think they will work well.
https://www.ruralking.com/rubber-sta...-4-x-1-2.html#
The linked mats are precut but the store also had the option of cutting mats to size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #599 of 742 Old 09-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 59
For your sump cover could you make a temporary frame on the bottom and fill it with spray foam insulation? Then take the frame off when your done? Or glueing the rigid insulation on I'm sure would work good also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #600 of 742 Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 104
For the Seymour logo, not sure how it will work, but it works on car logos, emblems, stickers. Try a working a little bit of Goo Gone or another sticker removal product around the back of the logo. Then take some dental floss and slowly pull it behind the emblem to separate it from the felt. Not sure how it will work so I'd try to test in an inconspicuous location first. Last thing you want is to ruin your brand-new $2K screen on account of this. Or maybe Seymour has a tried and true method for doing this. I left mine on and it doesn't bother me but I contemplated removing at first. They do provide the option of ordering without the logo on there, but too late for that now.

https://www.staples.com/Goo-Gone-Adh...iABEgKorPD_BwE
Mahuzz13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page