Javery's NJ Theater - finally started! - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 151Likes

post #631 of 742 Old 09-25-2017, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 181
The carpet has been in since Thursday--where are the pics?
texpilot and Ladeback like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 742 Old 09-25-2017, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Alright... I've got a bunch of updates so I'll probably space them out a little. Also, I never took any pictures of the carpet before the chairs went in but I do have a couple of close up shots when I was working behind the screen wall that shows off the carpet pattern pretty good.

First super exciting thing I did was stuff the sump pump location with the pink stuff just like the rest of the riser so there wouldn't be an echo in there.

We ended up just carpeting over the trap door instead of trying to figure out hinges and some solution where you could lift the panel off. There wasn't enough space between the trap door and the baseboard moulding to make anything work, unfortunately. I do not think this is a big deal though as I have a back up water powered pump in addition to the main pump and we are getting a whole house generator in October so even if the power goes out we should be OK. Worst case scenario is that we lift up the carpet in this corner to get to the pump.

Last Thursday the carpet installer finally showed up and went to work. His assistant called in sick so he had to do the entire room by himself - he did a nice job but it took a long time. He got to my house around 11 a.m. and didn't leave until after 8 p.m. Long day but it came out great. I only have pics of the pad going in on the riser, unfortunately. Oh well.

Next up is all the work I did behind the screen wall...
mpjmeyer and Ladeback like this.
post #633 of 742 Old 09-25-2017, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After the carpet was installed I spent Friday setting up the seats and finishing behind the screen.

I bought 3 rubber mats from Tractor Supply Company to place between the screen wall and the back wall for the speakers to rest on. This was a much cheaper solution than tryign to order something through Home Depot or Lowe's. The space I needed to fill was only 1'-9" x 14'-6" so I was able to cut them in half and even have a little left over for other things. Definitely use a sharp utility knife to make the cuts - these mats are thick and take many passes to cut all the way through.

If you look close you can see the pattern on the finished carpet.

I am quite happy with how this worked out.

The next thing I did was prep all of the wires to be connected to the speakers and subwoofers. There are 5 runs of 12 AWG speaker wire that were run behind the screen. 3 for the LCR speakers and 2 for the subs. The wires for the speakers were easy to prep - I just stripped off about 1/2" of tubing from the positive and negative wires so they could be screwed to the binding posts in the back of the speakers - nothing fancy. The subwoofer prep took a little longer (but was still very easy) because I had to wire a Neutrik Speakon connector to them.

Here is what it looked like right before hooking up the speakers:

I actually ended up not using all of the wires that I ran back there - there are 2 coax cables and 2 CAT6 cables that are unused but it is nice to have extra just in case.

Here's a quick video going over what I did:

Next up - speakers!
Ladeback likes this.

Last edited by javeryh; 09-25-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 742 Old 09-25-2017, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After getting the wires sorted, I had to get all the speakers in place and hook them up. This was NOT easy! Space is so tight back there and the speakers are so heavy that it was difficult to line everything up and get everything evenly spaced. My lovely wife did her fair share of lifting!

The money shot:

We ended up using milk crates and a 1/2" rubber mat to elevate the LCR speakers above the bottom of the screen so the sound would not get blocked. They seem pretty sturdy so I'm going to leave them like this for now. If they vibrate and come crashing through the screen I'll know something went wrong haha. I don't think they are going anywhere though.

Next up - seats!
post #635 of 742 Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Looking real good. You are almost there, can't wait for your first impressions of the room.
post #636 of 742 Old 09-25-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
I think you will be ok with the milk crates and rubber mat. It would take a lot of vibration to move them.

Looking good. Envious of your progress.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #637 of 742 Old 09-25-2017, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Looks incredible! Must feel good to see that hard work pay off. Let us know when you've had a listen!
post #638 of 742 Old 09-25-2017, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Javery's NJ Theater - finally started!

If the LCR speakers also have some form of rubber feet on them I doubt they would move one bit on top of the egg crates. If not, put some of the leftover strips from Tractor Supply beneath them and you're all set.

Really digging the carpet!
post #639 of 742 Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Looking really good. Everything has come together very nicely.
post #640 of 742 Old 09-25-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 4665
If I had the room to build a dedicated theater, it would look exactly like this.
Very awesome!
Ps, if you ever have a get together count me in!
post #641 of 742 Old 09-26-2017, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Super exciting update. The doors are black! Last night after work I threw on a quick coat of paint to prep for the door treatments. I still have to paint the inside edge of the jamb as you can see. We are going to build 1" thick panels on the doors to match the walls - red fabric, linacoustic, chair rail, MDF, wainscoting and baseboard - so most of this will eventually be hidden.

We are working in the theater today. The goal is to line the area behind the screen with linacoustic and then line the back wall with acoustic tiles. We are also hooking up the surrounds and stuffing the columns with insulation so they should be complete and cutting the three holes in the riser for vents/bass trap.

Also, we are thinking of making the projector box panel a little fancier - right now it is just a panel similar to the column panels (a frame with black fabric stapled on the inside). My contractor wants to add a thin MDF panel behind the fabric where the projector lens will be and then drill a hole for the lens, staple the fabric and add a grommet ring or something to finish it off. I'm not sure how this will work... I'm also not sure of the air flow situation but I guess I'll find out. He seems really against being able to see inside the projector box and if this will make the room prettier than I'm all for it.

Next on my list is ordering the lights for the steps. I haven't even looked at these yet but I don't want anything fancy. We are chipping away at this little by little but the details are adding up.

Hi @javeryh how did you place your Volt-6's in the columns? Do you have any pictures showing what you've done inside the columns to seat the surrounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #642 of 742 Old 09-27-2017, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
Hi @javeryh how did you place your Volt-6's in the columns? Do you have any pictures showing what you've done inside the columns to seat the surrounds?
The Volt 6s are sitting on a shelf inside of the columns at ear level and surrounded by insulation. I don't have any pics but this is what I copied:

https://www.avsforum.com/photopost/da..._IMG_0817.jpeg
post #643 of 742 Old 09-27-2017, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
Looking real good. You are almost there, can't wait for your first impressions of the room.
Me too - I am tentatively aiming for this coming Saturday night to be the premiere night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I think you will be ok with the milk crates and rubber mat. It would take a lot of vibration to move them.

Looking good. Envious of your progress.
Thanks! The rubber mat and milk crates seem very sturdy so I think I'll be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochoss View Post
Looks incredible! Must feel good to see that hard work pay off. Let us know when you've had a listen!
Thanks - will do! I can't wait to fire it up. Only thing left is punching a hole in the equipment closet so I can feed all of the wires in there and hook everything up. I have a plan so hopefully everything will go smooth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
If the LCR speakers also have some form of rubber feet on them I doubt they would move one bit on top of the egg crates. If not, put some of the leftover strips from Tractor Supply beneath them and you're all set.

Really digging the carpet!
Thanks! I love the carpet - it really looks nice in person.

I did end up using some leftover rubber under the speakers and I don't think they are going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzz View Post
Looking really good. Everything has come together very nicely.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
If I had the room to build a dedicated theater, it would look exactly like this.
Very awesome!
Ps, if you ever have a get together count me in!
Thanks - that is quite a compliment! You should check out White Oaks theater and I think you'd revise your statement... I tried copying it as best I could but it's like when you xerox something 50 times it kind of looks like the original but is off just a bit... I'm very happy with how everything has come out so far though and I know my family will get many years of enjoyment out of it.
post #644 of 742 Old 09-27-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 528
I see you ran the C34E's for Atmos and Volt 6's for surrounds. I had planned on Volt 10's all around but they will not fit between my I-beam style joists so I am now going with the C34E's for Atmos and was considering Volt 6's for surrounds. I am now leaning towards the C34E all the way around. Why did you choose to go the way you did?
post #645 of 742 Old 09-27-2017, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I see you ran the C34E's for Atmos and Volt 6's for surrounds. I had planned on Volt 10's all around but they will not fit between my I-beam style joists so I am now going with the C34E's for Atmos and was considering Volt 6's for surrounds. I am now leaning towards the C34E all the way around. Why did you choose to go the way you did?
Volt 10s are huge. I was initially planning on those as well but when I started to lay everything out it would have made my columns too bulky so I emailed Erich and he said the Volt 6s were more than enough for the size of my room so that's what I went with. They sound great.

For Atmos, I was just looking for something easy to stick in the ceiling. I could have done another 4 Volt 6s but it was going to present some design issues due to the size and location of the backer boxes. I also didn't want to have to build another 4 speakers! The C34Es had good reviews and the speakers are angled - perfect for Atmos.
texpilot and brazensol like this.
post #646 of 742 Old 09-27-2017, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
The Volt 6s are sitting on a shelf inside of the columns at ear level and surrounded by insulation. I don't have any pics but this is what I copied:

https://www.avsforum.com/photopost/da..._IMG_0817.jpeg

Thanks @javeryh
Beautiful build! I'd be copying the colors of you walls (not cloth though). Also, you have the most descriptive build threads and love those video clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #647 of 742 Old 09-28-2017, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
Thanks @javeryh
Beautiful build! I'd be copying the colors of you walls (not cloth though). Also, you have the most descriptive build threads and love those video clips.
Thanks - I like when other people make videos - helps me understand things although I think my video skills are quite poor (which is why I try to mostly keep them to 1 minute or less). I have a new found appreciation for people who can make watchable videos.

I was at Home Depot this afternoon during lunch and I bought what I hope to be everything I need to install the PVC into the equipment closet. I am hoping to sneak in a couple of hours tonight or tomorrow to finish it up. I've got a plan that may or may not work!

ROGUE ONE on Saturday night!!!!

... maybe.
post #648 of 742 Old 09-30-2017, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK - today was supposed to be the day... I cannot for the life of me figure out the equipment. I have no experience with this stuff and it is frustrating me.

• I had a picture coming from the projector but now there's nothing. A green light is flashing which indicates that it is "waiting for a signal" but my PS4 is on and I can hear the sound from the menu. I had a game working but when I switched to a blu-ray I lost the picture and cannot seem to get it back. I can't even seem to turn off the projector.

• When I did have a picture, I was having a hard time getting it to fill the screen area completely. I have been playing with the levelers on the feet but no luck. When I raise one side the other side gets messed up. Probably need more patience. Also, everything seems to be in 16x9 mode - not sure if I'll have to recalibrate for 2.40:1 but I haven't even been able to get into that mode yet.

• My eyes must also be terrible because I can't even tell if the picture is in focus. The green grid that is there for calibration always looks fuzzy no matter what I do.

• When the game on the PS4 was running the picture seemed way too dark. I'm sure there are brightness settings but I haven't found them yet.

• There is a ridiculous loud humming noise coming from the subwoofers. It is so distracting. I am not sure what "gain" is (although I know it's not volume). During the receiver calibration, it asked that I set the volume if the subwoofers to 50% but there's no volume control on my subs so I didn't do anything. The receiver couldn't hear them so I turned the gain knobs about 1/3 of the way up which caused the humming noise.... but now the receiver could hear them.

It feels like I'm in way over my head and I've only got about 4 hours until showtime. Ugh.
post #649 of 742 Old 09-30-2017, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alright I sorted out the no picture issue - I pressed a button marked "HIDE" by mistake.

I'm also not clear on how to switch between 16:9 content and 2.40:1 content. Do I need to create settings and save them? Is 2.40:1 just a 16:9 image zoomed in like crazy? That was the only way I could get the movie to fill the screen. The picture still doesn't look sharp to me though.

The audio is a bit underwhelming too right now - I mean I can hear everything fine but I'm not getting a lot of noise out of the Atmos speakers or the surrounds. Also the subs don't seem to be doing too much. I don't have the volume turned up too loud though - 45dB? I don't know. I need to play around with it. The humming is driving me crazy too.

This is way more complicated than I thought it would be... I guess tomorrow I'll be down there all day trying to figure this stuff out. I have it set up decent enough so we can watch Rogue One tonight. It's really cool and I'm super excited but just overwhelmed by everything. Before this the only "set-up" I ever did was plug and play.

I'm going to hire someone to calibrate everything eventually but I was told I should run everything for at least 100 hours to break everything in first...
post #650 of 742 Old 09-30-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What avr are you using again?
post #651 of 742 Old 09-30-2017, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
What avr are you using again?
Denon 6300 - I ran the auto setup with the microphone.
post #652 of 742 Old 09-30-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Denon 6300 - I ran the auto setup with the microphone.
I have the 6200.
Just a quick suggestion.
Dynamic volume off. Always.
Dynamic eq is tricky. I have it on currently but in the global settings have the subs boosted only 2.5db.
If you have it off, and audyssey sets your trims at say -10, try a 6db boost to -4.
Could you possibly take a pic of what it set all your trims to?
post #653 of 742 Old 09-30-2017, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have the 6200.
Just a quick suggestion.
Dynamic volume off. Always.
Dynamic eq is tricky. I have it on currently but in the global settings have the subs boosted only 2.5db.
If you have it off, and audyssey sets your trims at say -10, try a 6db boost to -4.
Could you possibly take a pic of what it set all your trims to?
Sure... but what's a trim?

yeah, I know... I'm literally clueless.
post #654 of 742 Old 09-30-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Oh man, if i lived nearer id help you set it all up. PM me if you have time tomorrow where i can give you a call and i bet i can walk you through at least 85% of it.
Little Chris and Ladeback like this.
post #655 of 742 Old 10-01-2017, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Javeryh!

I am Santoro over at BYOAC. I was admiring your theater build for a few pages before I took note of your avatar and name.

Love the work you are doing. I have a new home that is being built in Branchburg NJ and I have a 20x14 basement space that I plan on doing something similar with and I will be judiciously stealing ideas from you.

Just fantastic - can't wait to see the end product!

post #656 of 742 Old 10-01-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see you have the JVC-RS520. I have not used one, but it do know it has lens memory when you get it set to what you want you should be able to use one of Mode buttons to lock it in. Once they are locked in you should just be able to go back and forth by pressing a button. I like figuring this stuff out, to bad I am not closer to help.

Good luck, sounds like Steve can be of help.
post #657 of 742 Old 10-01-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Oh man, if i lived nearer id help you set it all up. PM me if you have time tomorrow where i can give you a call and i bet i can walk you through at least 85% of it.
Thanks - PM sent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2DHS View Post
Hey Javeryh!

I am Santoro over at BYOAC. I was admiring your theater build for a few pages before I took note of your avatar and name.

Love the work you are doing. I have a new home that is being built in Branchburg NJ and I have a 20x14 basement space that I plan on doing something similar with and I will be judiciously stealing ideas from you.

Just fantastic - can't wait to see the end product!

Hey Santoro - what's going on?? I haven't been over at BYOAC in ages - all because of this basement project! As soon as I'm finished I've got a couple ideas for a new cab or two that I want to get working on. I actually just put my Donkey Kong and Bella's Arcade into their final resting places in the room outside of the theater. They still play great but I do need some new side art on the DK - the old ones peeled off and hit the floor. Oh well.

Branchburg is very close to me - I'm just down Route 22 east of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I see you have the JVC-RS520. I have not used one, but it do know it has lens memory when you get it set to what you want you should be able to use one of Mode buttons to lock it in. Once they are locked in you should just be able to go back and forth by pressing a button. I like figuring this stuff out, to bad I am not closer to help.

Good luck, sounds like Steve can be of help.
Thanks. It does have memory for the settings but I need to figure out how to set it up. On top of the zoom issue between 16:9 and 2.40:1 content I need to figure out how to level the thing and get it exactly in focus. Seems like it should be easy but I'm having a rough time with it.

I'm also not sure what people do about watching a blu-ray where the menu is in 16:9 but the movie is 2.40:1. Does the projector automatically know to switch or am I supposed to start the projector in 16:9 mode, make my selection to play the movie and then manually switch to the other setting for 2.40:1 when the movie starts? Seems cumbersome. I guess I thought the projector would just know but if it sees everything as a 16:9 image then I'm not so sure.

I got the buttkickers working - I had "gain" set to 0 on the 2 amps powering the buttkickers so all I did was turn the knob 1/2 way and I could feel them in all the chairs. The sensation is pretty cool but I'm not quite sure how much or how often I should be feeling something.

another HUGE issue for me is eliminating (or lessening) the humming coming through the subwoofers. The subs didn't blow me away or anything - the "gain" is barely turned up on the iNuke amp so there's not a lot of power going to them, however when I turn up the gain the humming gets louder and louder. So frustrating.

Anyway, I'm in between kid activities so I'm headed back down to tinker some more...
post #658 of 742 Old 10-01-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks - PM sent!

Hey Santoro - what's going on?? I haven't been over at BYOAC in ages - all because of this basement project! As soon as I'm finished I've got a couple ideas for a new cab or two that I want to get working on. I actually just put my Donkey Kong and Bella's Arcade into their final resting places in the room outside of the theater. They still play great but I do need some new side art on the DK - the old ones peeled off and hit the floor. Oh well.

Branchburg is very close to me - I'm just down Route 22 east of you.

Thanks. It does have memory for the settings but I need to figure out how to set it up. On top of the zoom issue between 16:9 and 2.40:1 content I need to figure out how to level the thing and get it exactly in focus. Seems like it should be easy but I'm having a rough time with it.

I'm also not sure what people do about watching a blu-ray where the menu is in 16:9 but the movie is 2.40:1. Does the projector automatically know to switch or am I supposed to start the projector in 16:9 mode, make my selection to play the movie and then manually switch to the other setting for 2.40:1 when the movie starts? Seems cumbersome. I guess I thought the projector would just know but if it sees everything as a 16:9 image then I'm not so sure.

I got the buttkickers working - I had "gain" set to 0 on the 2 amps powering the buttkickers so all I did was turn the knob 1/2 way and I could feel them in all the chairs. The sensation is pretty cool but I'm not quite sure how much or how often I should be feeling something.

another HUGE issue for me is eliminating (or lessening) the humming coming through the subwoofers. The subs didn't blow me away or anything - the "gain" is barely turned up on the iNuke amp so there's not a lot of power going to them, however when I turn up the gain the humming gets louder and louder. So frustrating.

Anyway, I'm in between kid activities so I'm headed back down to tinker some more...
@jedimastergrant in or area has a JVC-RS520 maybe he can be of help on it. Send him a PM. He may also have an idea on the hum from your sub. My KPS-400's would so I put a ground plug on the power cord from the amp that is built in to the speakers on the back. Not Sue it is that, but it could be a grounding issue or you cable's? Just a guess. Another person to talk to about all these issues is @desertdome .

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #659 of 742 Old 10-01-2017, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
OK - today was supposed to be the day... I cannot for the life of me figure out the equipment. I have no experience with this stuff and it is frustrating me.

• I had a picture coming from the projector but now there's nothing. A green light is flashing which indicates that it is "waiting for a signal" but my PS4 is on and I can hear the sound from the menu. I had a game working but when I switched to a blu-ray I lost the picture and cannot seem to get it back. I can't even seem to turn off the projector.

• When I did have a picture, I was having a hard time getting it to fill the screen area completely. I have been playing with the levelers on the feet but no luck. When I raise one side the other side gets messed up. Probably need more patience. Also, everything seems to be in 16x9 mode - not sure if I'll have to recalibrate for 2.40:1 but I haven't even been able to get into that mode yet.

• My eyes must also be terrible because I can't even tell if the picture is in focus. The green grid that is there for calibration always looks fuzzy no matter what I do.

• When the game on the PS4 was running the picture seemed way too dark. I'm sure there are brightness settings but I haven't found them yet.

• There is a ridiculous loud humming noise coming from the subwoofers. It is so distracting. I am not sure what "gain" is (although I know it's not volume). During the receiver calibration, it asked that I set the volume if the subwoofers to 50% but there's no volume control on my subs so I didn't do anything. The receiver couldn't hear them so I turned the gain knobs about 1/3 of the way up which caused the humming noise.... but now the receiver could hear them.

It feels like I'm in way over my head and I've only got about 4 hours until showtime. Ugh.
Hi Javery,

First let me say your theater looks amazing!
I’m just about to start construction on my own at home which I’m hoping will look as good as your when it is done.

I see / hear your frustration with the picture and sound setup. I can imagine how weird it must feel.. regarding the humming noise from the subs, it sound like you may have a grounding issue.. check that your sub amplifier is earthed properly and that the internal wiring of the subs is correct. You may also want to borrow a sub from someone else to ensure it’s not a general electrical earthing issue.

Regarding the overall sound system.. it looks like you built the speakers yourself so right now you have no reference for what each speaker should sound like, much less how they should work together as a complete atmos surround setup. It would probably feel weird for anyone standing in your room listening to it because of this added complexity regarding speaker construction. In addition to this you have amps and receivers you’ve not coupled with the speakers before so there’s another layer of complexity.. basically for every piece of equipment you add to a sound system the more layers of complexity there are.

The first thing I recommend you do regarding sound is calibrate your system.

Below is some information regarding calibrating a theater system. I copied some of this from one of my Dolby manuals that we use at work. Even though this talks about 5.1 (or a 6 channel system) for the most part you can duplicate the surround channel calibration for atmos channels as well.

You will need a reference for this. The best reference is Pink Noise. Pink Noise sounds like White Noise but is not exactly the same. You can find pink noise generators on some DVD content, THX discs used to have it in the setup menu for instance. If you cannot find any which specifically say “Pink Noise” then you can always use an App like Tone Generator Pro and generate the noise from you iPhone or iPad using the headphone output.

Listening Room Calibration

Setting up your listening environment is a crucial element in enabling you to properly evaluate content. You should only need to do this once for each monitor system or room; however, quick checks are advised before each session to confirm the correct calibration settings.

Calibration

Prior to listening in a multichannel environment, the monitoring system must be calibrated to establish a balance between all channels and to ensure that all speakers play back at the correct level relative to the listening reference position.

The best option is to use your amplifier gain (trim) controls to set proper playback levels. Your amplifier (or receiver) should have the ability to adjust the relative level between speakers.

This allows you to maintain optimum signal-to-noise performance from the decoder and BluRay.

To properly calibrate speaker levels, use an SPL meter. A suitable and relatively inexpensive meter is available from Radio Shack. You can also use an iphone App that I often use at work when an SPL meter is not available; the App is called SPL meter.

Relative level between channels is more important than absolute level, so the accuracy of this meter is sufficient for channel balancing.
What is most important is that all of the main channels are set to the same SPL (Sound Pressure Level) absolute level is secondary to this. However, as a guide, here are some examples of conventional level settings.

For film content, test noise at reference level should produce an SPL of 85 dBC for each of the main front channels (Left, Center, Right) and 82 dBC for each Surround channel . The lower Surround level is specific to film-style mixing rooms.

For television content, test noise at reference level is typically set to produce an SPL ranging from 79 to 82 dBC for each of the main five channels. The lower reference level for television reflects the lower average listening levels preferred by the consumer (typically 70 to 75 dBC).

For music, each speaker channel should be set to the same SPL (just as in television mixing). There is no standard practice for reference levels for music mixing. Some engineers prefer to mix louder than others do, but if the levels between channels are correct, the overall level is not as crucial.

Listening Room Calibration - Measuring SPL

WARNING: Before you turn on a test noise, be sure that your playback system is set to a moderate listening level. Adjust your amplifiers and Beware that if the playback level is very high, you may risk damaging your speakers or possibly your hearing.

To accurately measure SPL:
1. Sit in the reference listening position. Set the SPL meter to “C” weighting and “slow” response.
2. Facing the front speakers, hold the SPL meter at chest level, with the microphone facing up at an angle of approximately 45 degrees to the center speaker. Keep the meter at arms length to prevent measuring audio that may reflect from your body.
3. Keep the SPL meter in this position. Make sure that the meter is aimed at the center speaker as you take readings for the Left, Center, and Right speakers.
4. To take the SPL readings for the Left Surround or Right Surround speakers, keep the meter at the same angle and position as you did for the front speakers. Turn your body 90 degrees from the Center speaker toward the wall closest to the Surround speaker you are measuring. This minimizes “shadowing” or obscuring the meter with your body.

Make adjustments to each individual channel’s trim setting, using your amplifier gain (trim) controls for each single channel to achieve the SPL required for each channel.

Subwoofer Calibration
The ideal test noise for subwoofer calibration should be band-limited pink noise, lowpass filtered at 120 Hz.
To properly calibrate the subwoofer, a real-time analyzer (RTA) is required. If an RTA is not available, you can approximate the settings with an SPL meter.
When using an RTA, proper calibration requires setting the LFE channel signal to be sent to the subwoofer, within its typical bandwidth of 20-120 Hz, 10 dB higher (as measured by the RTA) than the main channels.
The precision of this measurement varies with the quality of the meter used.

If an RTA is not available, setting the subwoofer channel 4-6 dB higher, as measured by an SPL meter, provides an approximate level. For example, set the subwoofer channel to 89 dBC when the Center channel measures 85 dBC.

Once you’ve achieved SPL calibration using the above technique you’ll have a good starting point for how you may want to tune the room to your own tastes.

I hope this helps!
post #660 of 742 Old 10-02-2017, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@filmmixr - thank you so much for the detailed response! I'm going to have to read it a bunch of times for it all to sink in. I will definitely download the app and give it a shot. The issue is that I don't know what the room is supposed to sound like so how will I know when I get it right?

The subwoofer humming issue really concerns me - I really hope there is a way to fix it.

From what I've been reading and what everyone here has been telling me I can tell I need to hire a professional to come in and calibrate everything for me. Maybe he (or she) will let me watch so I can learn a thing or two.

Should I also call Verizon and get the additional cable box and any other equipment I'm thinking of so everything is done all at the same time? I need to start looking at universal remotes too. It never ends!!!

I didn't have a chance yesterday to mess around or even watch anything in the theater because of kid activities and cleaning out the garage - now that this project is winding down I need to get organized. I have been leaving tools all over the place and I'm trying to organize everything to one central location. The amount of stuff I bought (like spray paint, sandpaper, etc.) and didn't know I already had is making my head spin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page