Javery's NJ Theater - finally started! - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 151Likes

post #691 of 742 Old 10-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
I hadn't thought of that. The inside of the box is not lined with anything (it's bare plywood) so it probably is amplifying the noise into the room. Unfortunately, I cannot deconstruct it - it is built into the rear soffit. Perhaps if I lined the inside with linacoustic or something it might absorb some of the noise?
Are you running your projector on the low light output setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 742 Old 10-16-2017, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTstang View Post
Are you running your projector on the low light output setting?
yes, I think so. There are presets and one of them is in low lamp mode which I have the projector set to.
post #693 of 742 Old 10-17-2017, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Definitely line the hush box with linacoustic before looking into anything more drastic. The White Oaks Cinema Big did has an open-front hush box that’s lined and dlbeck (the owner) isn’t bothered by the noise at all. Hoping it’s that easy for you. Congrats, everything looks great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 742 Old 10-17-2017, 09:38 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5548 Post(s)
Liked: 5140
an unlined box acts just like a megaphone.
texpilot likes this.
post #695 of 742 Old 10-17-2017, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Definitely line the hush box with linacoustic before looking into anything more drastic. The White Oaks Cinema Big did has an open-front hush box that’s lined and dlbeck (the owner) isn’t bothered by the noise at all. Hoping it’s that easy for you. Congrats, everything looks great.
Thanks. Good thing my lovely wife threw out the leftover linacoustic literally the Monday after we "finished"! Ugh... I need to find a little bit somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
an unlined box acts just like a megaphone.
Should I line all 5 sides? Top, bottom, back, left and right?
post #696 of 742 Old 10-17-2017, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 104
[QUOTE=javeryh;54969242]Thanks. Good thing my lovely wife threw out the leftover linacoustic literally the Monday after we "finished"! Ugh... I need to find a little bit somewhere...

I'll send you a PM.
post #697 of 742 Old 10-17-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Thanks. Good thing my lovely wife threw out the leftover linacoustic literally the Monday after we "finished"! Ugh... I need to find a little bit somewhere...

Should I line all 5 sides? Top, bottom, back, left and right?

My wife knows better to touch anything in the basement without asking me first. At least I got that going for me.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #698 of 742 Old 11-01-2017, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Carpet

Javery
Hope you're really enjoying the theater. I know I would be. I am itching to get it done so bad.
Trying to finalize carpet choices. 2 of which I believe you looked at and selected one.

Del sure magic night and stargazing.

Do you find the magic night has any olive undertone? In some lighting, my sample appears olive at times. I am looking for a charcoal to black carpet and both these fit.
Stargazing is real nice also but concerned it could be too black.
Magic night is the middle sample, stargazing is the large top and (bottom) sample
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171028_1920073.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2309000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171028_1922012.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	627.8 KB
ID:	2309002  

CineMoe 3.0 Atmos 7.2.4 build in progress
JVC RS540 | EluneVision Reference 4K Audioweave 150" 2.35:1 | Anthem MRX-1120 |OPPO UDP-203 | Definitive Tech BP8060ST, CS8060HD, 4x SR8040BP, 4x Atmos DI 6.5R | Dual HSU VTF-3 MK5 subs | Ultralink HDC-150RM power conditioner | Harmony Elite | 8x Sonos Connect Amps| Monoprice 12AWG speakerwire, certified HDR HDMI |
post #699 of 742 Old 11-02-2017, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe80 View Post
Javery
Hope you're really enjoying the theater. I know I would be. I am itching to get it done so bad.
Trying to finalize carpet choices. 2 of which I believe you looked at and selected one.

Del sure magic night and stargazing.

Do you find the magic night has any olive undertone? In some lighting, my sample appears olive at times. I am looking for a charcoal to black carpet and both these fit.
Stargazing is real nice also but concerned it could be too black.
Magic night is the middle sample, stargazing is the large top and (bottom) sample
Thanks
Hi Moe - The magic night does not have any olive undertones that I've noticed. I'm very happy with the carpet selection we made (and the overall look of the finished room). I don't recall exactly how the stargazing sample looked because I looked at so many! The Magic Night is dark but not overwhelming - the gray lines break up the black nicely and I don't notice the carpet at all when the lights are off and the movie is playing.

We have been enjoying the theater but right when we finished my MIL got very sick so things have been off-schedule since we are dealing with that. I still have a lot of little stuff to do (like fix the echo in the hush box, which drives me crazy, paint the lights, configure/calibrate everything, etc.) but haven't been able to find any time - hopefully soon. We have averaged probably one movie per week since it became operational and each time it is a treat and we have been watching Stranger Things 2 for the past few nights which is really cool (we are 1/2 way through).

Last Saturday we watched Spaceballs and the week before that was Uncle Buck. I'm finding that a lot of older movies on blu-ray are 16:9 format, which is annoying (optimized for your HD TV!). Those 80s movies are fun to watch with the kids but man, PG meant something entirely different back then!
post #700 of 742 Old 11-02-2017, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Hi Moe - The magic night does not have any olive undertones that I've noticed. I'm very happy with the carpet selection we made (and the overall look of the finished room). I don't recall exactly how the stargazing sample looked because I looked at so many! The Magic Night is dark but not overwhelming - the gray lines break up the black nicely and I don't notice the carpet at all when the lights are off and the movie is playing.

We have been enjoying the theater but right when we finished my MIL got very sick so things have been off-schedule since we are dealing with that. I still have a lot of little stuff to do (like fix the echo in the hush box, which drives me crazy, paint the lights, configure/calibrate everything, etc.) but haven't been able to find any time - hopefully soon. We have averaged probably one movie per week since it became operational and each time it is a treat and we have been watching Stranger Things 2 for the past few nights which is really cool (we are 1/2 way through).

Last Saturday we watched Spaceballs and the week before that was Uncle Buck. I'm finding that a lot of older movies on blu-ray are 16:9 format, which is annoying (optimized for your HD TV!). Those 80s movies are fun to watch with the kids but man, PG meant something entirely different back then!
Thanks Javery.
The stargazing is black compared to the magic night being charcoal which is what we preferred also.
Likely going with magic night. The olive undertone scared me, maybe because the sample I have has the bordering stitched in a olve colour.

I'm jealous! I have not watched any movies in years since my last theater.
I have been buying up blurays and 4K discs for when it is done and will spend all my time catching up!
I'll also re watch lots of my old movies too. Cannot wait!

Hopefully your are on the mend and back to normal. Thanks again for sharing your input!

CineMoe 3.0 Atmos 7.2.4 build in progress
JVC RS540 | EluneVision Reference 4K Audioweave 150" 2.35:1 | Anthem MRX-1120 |OPPO UDP-203 | Definitive Tech BP8060ST, CS8060HD, 4x SR8040BP, 4x Atmos DI 6.5R | Dual HSU VTF-3 MK5 subs | Ultralink HDC-150RM power conditioner | Harmony Elite | 8x Sonos Connect Amps| Monoprice 12AWG speakerwire, certified HDR HDMI |
post #701 of 742 Old 11-06-2017, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Xbox One X arrives tomorrow! I'm finally going to be able to check out some 4K/HDR content.

We watched Wonder Woman last weekend and it was a pretty good movie. There was almost no low frequency bass - the chairs barely moved the entire time, which was disappointing. Next up is Fantastic Beasts in 4K...
bubbrik likes this.
post #702 of 742 Old 11-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Next up is Fantastic Beasts in 4K...

If “Fantastic Beasts” doesn’t shake your buns mightily you have some system tweaking to do. I’ve only seen it once but as I recall it has quite a bit of low end.

I liked WW at the theater but don’t have it at home yet. Bummed if it’s bass is weak ...
post #703 of 742 Old 11-06-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 4665
Yeah, Wonder Woman definitely has some awesome bass moments! Glad to see you're enjoying the theater though!
post #704 of 742 Old 11-07-2017, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
If “Fantastic Beasts” doesn’t shake your buns mightily you have some system tweaking to do. I’ve only seen it once but as I recall it has quite a bit of low end.

I liked WW at the theater but don’t have it at home yet. Bummed if it’s bass is weak ...
I'm psyched for Fantastic Beasts. WW seemed incredibly weak to me though (bass wise - it was a good movie). The Xbox One X has been delivered according to Amazon so I'll be playing with it tonight. One thing I've been reading though is the download sizes of the games are over 100GB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Yeah, Wonder Woman definitely has some awesome bass moments! Glad to see you're enjoying the theater though!
Really? I only noticed a few small rumbles. I'm sure everything is working too - we watched Spaceballs and the chairs were shaking like crazy at the beginning. I'm still trying to figure everything out though.
post #705 of 742 Old 11-08-2017, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nothing is easy... I can't get the 4K to display properly. While going through the setup for the Xbox One X there is a prompt that says something like "it looks like you have a 4K TV would you like to switch the resolution from 1080p to 4K?" When I click yes, the screen goes blank for a few seconds and then comes back on saying it didn't work (and everything is back to 1080p). I have the Xbox One X connected to the AVR (Denon 6300) with an HDMI cable to the "Game" port and then the "HDMI out" on the AVR runs to the projector (JVC RS520). I'm guessing there is some sort of handshake issue... any ideas on what could be wrong and how to fix it?
post #706 of 742 Old 11-08-2017, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I don’t know for your receiver specifically, but I know some one have certain ports that are 4K. Perhaps the “game” port isn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #707 of 742 Old 11-09-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Nothing is easy... I can't get the 4K to display properly. While going through the setup for the Xbox One X there is a prompt that says something like "it looks like you have a 4K TV would you like to switch the resolution from 1080p to 4K?" When I click yes, the screen goes blank for a few seconds and then comes back on saying it didn't work (and everything is back to 1080p). I have the Xbox One X connected to the AVR (Denon 6300) with an HDMI cable to the "Game" port and then the "HDMI out" on the AVR runs to the projector (JVC RS520). I'm guessing there is some sort of handshake issue... any ideas on what could be wrong and how to fix it?
If you haven't solved already, I bet if you posted this on the Denon forum, you'd probably get it solved very quickly. That forum has been a lifesaver for me.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...hread-faq.html
Ladeback likes this.
post #708 of 742 Old 11-09-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzz View Post
If you haven't solved already, I bet if you posted this on the Denon forum, you'd probably get it solved very quickly. That forum has been a lifesaver for me.

I was going to suggest this as well. @jdsmoothie is Rep for Denon and Marantz and is pretty good at answering a question on the Denon. You might just want to send him a PM about your problem.

I take it you are plugged into this port?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denon 6300 4K.PNG
Views:	45
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	2312746  

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #709 of 742 Old 11-09-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I was going to suggest this as well. @jdsmoothie is Rep for Denon and Marantz and is pretty good at answering a question on the Denon. You might just want to send him a PM about your problem.

JD Smoothie is the man. He sold me my AVR and I'm sure he'd know how to fix pretty quickly. There are a few other experts on there so I'm sure you'll get lots of help.
post #710 of 742 Old 11-09-2017, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Fazzz - turns out it's my HDMI cable. I can't believe it - I had no idea there were different types. Mine only passes 10.2gbps and there needs to be a minimum of 18gbps bandwidth. So now I have to figure out and pray that I can replace the cable running through the ceiling from my equipment closet.

Quote:

Yup - that's the port.

Quote:
JD Smoothie is the man. He sold me my AVR and I'm sure he'd know how to fix pretty quickly. There are a few other experts on there so I'm sure you'll get lots of help.
I guess I'll worry about the AVR once I get the new cables ran. I feel like I'm going to throw up.
post #711 of 742 Old 11-09-2017, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 4665
You could always give the Ruipro hdmi a whirl, heard nothing but good things about them for passing 4k etc at longer lengths.
post #712 of 742 Old 11-09-2017, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Thanks Fazzz - turns out it's my HDMI cable. I can't believe it - I had no idea there were different types. Mine only passes 10.2gbps and there needs to be a minimum of 18gbps bandwidth. So now I have to figure out and pray that I can replace the cable running through the ceiling from my equipment closet.

Yup - that's the port.

I guess I'll worry about the AVR once I get the new cables ran. I feel like I'm going to throw up.

Sorry to hear about your hdmi cable troubles @javeryh

I just checked all the hdmi cables I bought in the last couple of months from amazon and monoprice state 4K compatible but in looking deeper today, all of them show 10.x gb except one of the cables from monoprice that shows 18.x gb. I know that some of them are past the return date.

post #713 of 742 Old 11-09-2017, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
Sorry to hear about your hdmi cable troubles @javeryh

I just checked all the hdmi cables I bought in the last couple of months from amazon and monoprice state 4K compatible but in looking deeper today, all of them show 10.x gb except one of the cables from monoprice that shows 18.x gb. I know that some of them are past the return date.
Ugh. Turns out you want to buy something like THIS. I'm going to order 2 50ft. cables tomorrow... over $300! I only need 40ft. but they don't offer it... 30 ft. seems like it wouldn't be quite long enough. Nothing about this project has been easy and I'm really frustrated at this point with the setup.
post #714 of 742 Old 11-09-2017, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Ugh. Turns out you want to buy something like THIS. I'm going to order 2 50ft. cables tomorrow... over $300! I only need 40ft. but they don't offer it... 30 ft. seems like it wouldn't be quite long enough. Nothing about this project has been easy and I'm really frustrated at this point with the setup.

Another one...
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...506&p_id=12739

post #715 of 742 Old 11-10-2017, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
After thinking about it a little more... I'd like to get something that can pass an 8K signal too - for future proofing. Does such a thing exist?
post #716 of 742 Old 11-10-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

How many turns does your cable make? If not to many you could tie a pull string to the old cable when you pull it out to pull the new one in. I am thinking of installing conduit to where I mount the projector for just this reason.

Are there many 8K HDMI's out there right now?

post #717 of 742 Old 11-10-2017, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
How many turns does your cable make? If not to many you could tie a pull string to the old cable when you pull it out to pull the new one in. I am thinking of installing conduit to where I mount the projector for just this reason.

Are there many 8K HDMI's out there right now?
There are two 90 degree turns to navigate. My contractor managed to get 2 HDMI cables and 2 CAT6 wires through it so it seems like it should be easy enough. Of course, I'm worried about tangling wires if I try to force it through. Should I remove all 4 wires and then try installing all 4 at once? Or just try to remove the 2 old HDMI cables (while installing the new ones)? My current plan is to connect the HDMI cables end to end with duct tape and a string so while I pull the old one out I'll be simultaneously installing the new one.

I don't know about 8K HDMI - I was just throwing it out there since I'm sure we will get there eventually... My projector doesn't do 8K or anything and I will not be upgrading for YEARS (or ever, if it were up to my wife) so maybe I shouldn't worry about it...
post #718 of 742 Old 11-10-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=javeryh;55101764]There are two 90 degree turns to navigate. My contractor managed to get 2 HDMI cables and 2 CAT6 wires through it so it seems like it should be easy enough. Of course, I'm worried about tangling wires if I try to force it through. Should I remove all 4 wires and then try installing all 4 at once? Or just try to remove the 2 old HDMI cables (while installing the new ones)? My current plan is to connect the HDMI cables end to end with duct tape and a string so while I pull the old one out I'll be simultaneously installing the new one.

I would try it the way you are talking about, but if the CAT6 cables start to come with it you may want to pull them all out with a pull string attached to pull them back in. You should be able to tell right away if it going to work or not. It all depends on if the HDMI's got wrapped up with the CAT6's or not. Good luck

post #719 of 742 Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would try it the way you are talking about, but if the CAT6 cables start to come with it you may want to pull them all out with a pull string attached to pull them back in. You should be able to tell right away if it going to work or not. It all depends on if the HDMI's got wrapped up with the CAT6's or not. Good luck
Thanks - I think this is why I'm going to go with the "SlimRun" HDMI cables from monoprice. Every little bit of space will help me get it through the conduit. $160 a pop. Crazy.
post #720 of 742 Old 11-10-2017, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks - I think this is why I'm going to go with the "SlimRun" HDMI cables from monoprice. Every little bit of space will help me get it through the conduit. $160 a pop. Crazy.
The code 20VET works on Monoprice right now for orders over $200 so I'm going to save $67.20... so total is $252.78 for 2 cables. Still pricey but could have been a lot worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page