Javery's NJ Theater - finally started! - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 151Likes

post #721 of 742 Old 11-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 208
That's a good price - yes, it's expensive for a cable, but I bought the exact same one (couldn't quite get away with the 30ft version either). The good news for you is that I've found it to be very reliable, and passes full 4K with ease.

Personally I can't see the need for 8K. I am more than happy with my faux-4K - pretty sure you will be too!

If you want a reasonably priced 4K player, I can highly recommend the Panasonic UB900. It automatically upscales Blu-Ray to 4K, and DVD's to 1080p - and does it far better than the projector's own upscaling. It is so good, that I struggle to tell the difference between Blu-Ray and a UHD disc. The price in the U.K. Is now around half of what it was when first launched, if it's similar in the States it becomes much better value than the Oppie players.

Edit: just looked at BB prices for the panny - still expensive over your way - it's about $450 in the U.K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 742 Old 11-13-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
After thinking about it a little more... I'd like to get something that can pass an 8K signal too - for future proofing. Does such a thing exist?
By the time the next 40+gb HDMI standards are actually in use to carry 8k, I have a feeling most lengths we deal with today are going to be fiber cables. The ones you bought are fiber, but the end-points will be your limit (since they are active). You'll be pulling new cables -- but you have conduit, so you did the right thing, at least!
post #723 of 742 Old 11-13-2017, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I know what you mean - I'm only concerned with the sound getting upstairs. I don't care as much about the rest of the basement because there's really no other reason to be down there other than to watch a movie (although it would be nice to contain it). I also plan on sealing around the doors as much as possible. If you are only working with 1 door I'm sure you will be OK.
Javery
Just seeing how the sound is contained in the theater. How are the doors working out?

CineMoe 3.0 Atmos 7.2.4 build in progress
JVC RS540 | EluneVision Reference 4K Audioweave 150" 2.35:1 | Anthem MRX-1120 |OPPO UDP-203 | Definitive Tech BP8060ST, CS8060HD, 4x SR8040BP, 4x Atmos DI 6.5R | Dual HSU VTF-3 MK5 subs | Ultralink HDC-150RM power conditioner | Harmony Elite | 8x Sonos Connect Amps| Monoprice 12AWG speakerwire, certified HDR HDMI |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 742 Old 11-13-2017, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Dreamer View Post
That's a good price - yes, it's expensive for a cable, but I bought the exact same one (couldn't quite get away with the 30ft version either). The good news for you is that I've found it to be very reliable, and passes full 4K with ease.

Personally I can't see the need for 8K. I am more than happy with my faux-4K - pretty sure you will be too!

If you want a reasonably priced 4K player, I can highly recommend the Panasonic UB900. It automatically upscales Blu-Ray to 4K, and DVD's to 1080p - and does it far better than the projector's own upscaling. It is so good, that I struggle to tell the difference between Blu-Ray and a UHD disc. The price in the U.K. Is now around half of what it was when first launched, if it's similar in the States it becomes much better value than the Oppie players.

Edit: just looked at BB prices for the panny - still expensive over your way - it's about $450 in the U.K.
I may go the dedicated route for disc-based media and get a Panasonic or Oppo or something. For now I'm planning on using the Xbox One X but I actually had to disconnect it over the weekend. Just using it in 1080p mode seemed to trick the projector in certain spots. I was watching Cars 3 off of a USB stick with the kids (AWESOME for the buttkickers by the way) and about 2/3 of the way through the screen went blank and it looked like the projector thought it was receiving a 4K signal... which it wasn't, so it then switched back to 1080p and all was well. Then the following day the same thing happened with Back to the Future III of all things except this time it would not switch back so I ended up unhooking it and using my PS4 instead. I don't know what was going on but i'm hoping the new cables will make everything work as it should.

That is really good news that the upscaling works that well - I'm dying to get it all set up properly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
By the time the next 40+gb HDMI standards are actually in use to carry 8k, I have a feeling most lengths we deal with today are going to be fiber cables. The ones you bought are fiber, but the end-points will be your limit (since they are active). You'll be pulling new cables -- but you have conduit, so you did the right thing, at least!
I just hope I can pull it all through! I'm really nervous about it for some reason. I'm also going to have to move the projector so all of the calibration will be messed up as far as the lens memory and getting an edge to edge picture for both 2.4:1 and 16:9. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe80 View Post
Javery
Just seeing how the sound is contained in the theater. How are the doors working out?
Ahhh yes... the doors. It's OK. They do a good job but do not block sound 100%. Overall I'm happy with my soundproofing efforts - when a movie is really loud there is noise that gets through the doors and you can hear it from the kitchen at the top of the basement stairs if everything else is quiet. No big deal. You cannot hear it directly above the theater room in the TV room on the main floor of my house even though my entire first floor is "open concept" - I guess if everything is dead quiet you can kind of hear it but you'd have to really listen for it. I suppose I could try to address the weak points but honestly it doesn't bother me and I'm not that picky. There are a million other things I'd rather take care of first.
Ladeback likes this.
post #725 of 742 Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
@javeryh , so you aren't recommending double doors for a theater? I am torn between making a back entrance with double doors to future bar/game room that wife wants or a side entrance through a entry way and a second door. Your thoughts?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #726 of 742 Old 11-14-2017, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
@javeryh , so you aren't recommending double doors for a theater? I am torn between making a back entrance with double doors to future bar/game room that wife wants or a side entrance through a entry way and a second door. Your thoughts?
If people are going to in the bar/game room while others are watching a movie on full blast I wouldn't recommend the double doors. I can barely hear the noise from my theater but I do hear it. I'll see if I can get a video or something so you can see (hear) what I mean.

When my kids are watching a movie and the wife and I are one floor up (directly above the theater) we do not hear anything with the TV on. If it is dead silent on the first floor and we listen for it we can hear the theater.

I know... not much help.
post #727 of 742 Old 11-14-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If people are going to in the bar/game room while others are watching a movie on full blast I wouldn't recommend the double doors. I can barely hear the noise from my theater but I do hear it. I'll see if I can get a video or something so you can see (hear) what I mean.

When my kids are watching a movie and the wife and I are one floor up (directly above the theater) we do not hear anything with the TV on. If it is dead silent on the first floor and we listen for it we can hear the theater.

I know... not much help.
No that helps. Right now there is nothing to stop sound to my main level above that is our kitchen and living room other then floor joist, sub floor and hardwood. You can kind hear noise and the bass will rattle sometimes things in one of our cabinets. The only time the double doors would open is when we are having a party like a super bowl or just a get together around a another sports event.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #728 of 742 Old 12-14-2017, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
No that helps. Right now there is nothing to stop sound to my main level above that is our kitchen and living room other then floor joist, sub floor and hardwood. You can kind hear noise and the bass will rattle sometimes things in one of our cabinets. The only time the double doors would open is when we are having a party like a super bowl or just a get together around a another sports event.
So my son had his first "boys night" in the theater to watch Rogue One and my wife actually remarked about 1/2 way through the movie that she couldn't hear anything in the TV room (directly above the theater). Not bad for 7 10-year-olds who are usually loud as can be. So the soundproofing efforts have been working pretty darn good for us.

I haven't done ANY work in the theater in about 2 months due to a family situation (sick relative) and just not being able to find the time as a result. I'm hoping to change that this Saturday - I have to line the interior of the projector box with Linacoustic and try to fish the new HDMI cables through to the equipment closet for 4K. I've got guests coming for New Year's and I want this to be ready... Still not sure how this is going to go.
Ladeback likes this.
post #729 of 742 Old 01-21-2018, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Long time with no posting. My family has been enjoying the theater but there are a number of open items I haven't been able to finish off. Is there anyone in the north Jersey area that I could reach out to in order to finish off the remaining items in my theater? I don't think it would take more than a few hours one Saturday. I've been stuck in a holding pattern for 2 months. I'd mainly want some help with:

1. Run 2 HDMI cables through 1.5" conduit from my equipment closet to my projector (and pull out the 2 cables that are there). I haven't been able to take advantage of any 4K content and running the cables is a 2 person job.
  2. Calibrate all of my speakers and subs - it mostly works but I'm not sure I'm getting the surround sound effect that I should be getting. Also, only a few movies make the chairs rumble (Cars 3 and Lego Ninjago made the room seem like it was going to come apart but The Fellowship of the Ring and a bunch of movies with big action scenes barely move anything).
  3. Calibrate the picture and setting the aspect ratios for movies and TV. I did this myself and I think it looks OK but could probably be better.
  4. Fix the handshake issue between my receiver/Xbox One X and projector. In just about every movie something happens where one of these devices thinks the resolution or frame rate has changed and the screen goes blank (audio still works) and then comes back on after about 15 seconds. It is VERY annoying. Whenever the picture comes back the projector displays "1080p 24" or "1080p 60" in the upper corner so it seems like it is a frame rate or resolution issue. This could possibly be fixed by running the new 4K HDMI cables - I've tried a lot of different settings with no luck. Xbox One X may be trying to output 4K all the time and since the projector auto-detects the signal that's where I think the problem is... but I the HDMI goes through the receiver so maybe there is an issue there.
  5. Set up the Insteon hub. I've been using the switches in the closet and I'd like to start using my phone and the wall pad to control lighting. I am not smart enough to figure this out apparently.
  6. Set up a universal remote control - I will need to buy this prior to someone coming out to the house so recommendations are welcome.
  7. Line projector box with Linacoustic - I can do this myself but I don't want to take the projector down so I'm saving it for whenever I get to the rest of this list.

There may be a couple of other things I'm not thinking of but that is the main list. I need to get this thing to the point where my wife and kids can operate the theater when I'm not around...
post #730 of 742 Old 01-21-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
I'm thinking the handshake issue is due to the hdmi cable I was using monoprice cabernet cables and had the same issue. I went to there premium certified cable and it solved all the issues

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #731 of 742 Old 01-21-2018, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
I'm thinking the handshake issue is due to the hdmi cable I was using monoprice cabernet cables and had the same issue. I went to there premium certified cable and it solved all the issues
Good to know - I'd pull the cables myself but there are two 90 degree angles to navigate and 2 CAT6 wires in there too. Ideally I'd just tape the HDMI cables end to end and pull one out while simultaneously getting the other one through but I'm worried about hitting a snag... which would me the theater inoperable and I can't have that! So when I start, I need to be able to finish.
post #732 of 742 Old 01-21-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good to know - I'd pull the cables myself but there are two 90 degree angles to navigate and 2 CAT6 wires in there too. Ideally I'd just tape the HDMI cables end to end and pull one out while simultaneously getting the other one through but I'm worried about hitting a snag... which would me the theater inoperable and I can't have that! So when I start, I need to be able to finish.
You could use a fish tape to pull the new cables through the conduit. They are about $16 for a 100' one or $9 for a 50' one at Harbor Freight. Less chances of a wire snag.
dRwOOD73 likes this.

post #733 of 742 Old 01-21-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 683
90 degree bend in 1.5 inch conduit is TIGHT! Mine is 3? and im worried about ever having to change it. Ill be curious to see how yours goes.
post #734 of 742 Old 01-21-2018, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I was just down there last week. If I would have only known... Not sure when I'll be back down in Jersey (maybe Easter??), but I can stop by to help the next time I'm down if you still need help at that point. I'm not an "expert" like some on here, but I can definitely help with a few of your issues: pull your cables, although the turn will be tight with wire still in there, run Audyssey to optimize sound, set the aspect ratio on your PJ, set up a Harmony universal remote, and probably a few other things on your list. I'm only 1:45 away from you so if you really get desperate or don't get any local takers let me know and I can make an emergency trip.

Your "handshake" issue sounds a lot like the issue I had with a setting on my Denon AVR (video out setting --> auto/dual, monitor 1, monitor 2). Although I'm going to a PJ and TV from my AVR so it's probably not the same.

What I'd do before trying to run your new cable through conduit is just run it out through the room/door to the projector to test (assuming it reaches). That way you don't run it all the way though the conduit only to find there's another issue causing the problem.
post #735 of 742 Old 01-29-2018, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I'm curious about the construction of those AT masking panels. Any chance you could take a couple pics of the front and back of the panels that shows how they're built? I'd like to DIY something similar, but not really sure of the best design.
post #736 of 742 Old 01-29-2018, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You could use a fish tape to pull the new cables through the conduit. They are about $16 for a 100' one or $9 for a 50' one at Harbor Freight. Less chances of a wire snag.
So I rerached out to my contractor and he's coming out tomorrow to take care of some nagging punchlist items. This is on the list. The ceiling panels haven't been holding up like I hoped - the fabric is sagging and now the fiber optic cables are not poking through. He's going to (hopefully) fix that as well. I'm almost positive this is because the MDF panels we installed were warped - I painted them but he didn't install them for 2 weeks. They were warped when they went in and I don't think the fabric was pulled tight enough. This will be a pain to fix because the crown inside the coffers has to be removed - everything else is easy.

Believe it or not, we have been watching movies without the stars pretty much 100% of the time. Probably because it doesn't look right but they are actually distracting. Cool effect for sure but if I never did it I think I'd be just as happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
90 degree bend in 1.5 inch conduit is TIGHT! Mine is 3? and im worried about ever having to change it. Ill be curious to see how yours goes.
It might be 2" but yeah, tight fit! My contractor didn't have any issues so I'm going to let him take care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzz View Post
I was just down there last week. If I would have only known... Not sure when I'll be back down in Jersey (maybe Easter??), but I can stop by to help the next time I'm down if you still need help at that point. I'm not an "expert" like some on here, but I can definitely help with a few of your issues: pull your cables, although the turn will be tight with wire still in there, run Audyssey to optimize sound, set the aspect ratio on your PJ, set up a Harmony universal remote, and probably a few other things on your list. I'm only 1:45 away from you so if you really get desperate or don't get any local takers let me know and I can make an emergency trip.

Your "handshake" issue sounds a lot like the issue I had with a setting on my Denon AVR (video out setting --> auto/dual, monitor 1, monitor 2). Although I'm going to a PJ and TV from my AVR so it's probably not the same.

What I'd do before trying to run your new cable through conduit is just run it out through the room/door to the projector to test (assuming it reaches). That way you don't run it all the way though the conduit only to find there's another issue causing the problem.
Thanks Fazzz! Next time you are in the area let me know even if you just want to check out the room. Hopefully my schedule will line up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochoss View Post
I'm curious about the construction of those AT masking panels. Any chance you could take a couple pics of the front and back of the panels that shows how they're built? I'd like to DIY something similar, but not really sure of the best design.
The masking panels were bought from Seymour with the screen. They are made of a metal frame. I can snap a few pics - the main thing you want to do is use black velvet/felt for the edge of the picture - the projector doe not illuminate at all so the edge is a very crisp line.
post #737 of 742 Old 01-30-2018, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
The masking panels were bought from Seymour with the screen. They are made of a metal frame. I can snap a few pics - the main thing you want to do is use black velvet/felt for the edge of the picture - the projector doe not illuminate at all so the edge is a very crisp line.
Gotcha. So basically a rectangular metal frame, wrapped in AT cloth, plus a velvet border on one edge? Pictures would be super helpful. Thank you!
post #738 of 742 Old 02-04-2018, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I got those cables installed and I popped a 4K disc into the Xbox One and I'm getting a picture. So that's good... but it doesn't look that much better than some of the blu-rays we have. I thought I'd be blown away by the clarity and depth of colors. I still might not have everything set up properly - I'm playing with the settings on both the Xbox and JVC but I assume that it is seeing the 4K signal.

What is also annoying are the aspect ratios - I masked my screen but I cannot get the picture to fit exactly for 1.85:1. The screen masks to 1.78:1 (16:9). So there is about 2" of overhang on the sides that you can't see because of the velvet edge - the alternative is to have 2" black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Maybe I need to set this up using the Xbox menu that should be exactly 16:9 for TV and video games. I'm still playing around.

I think the bottom line is that I'm not going to be happy until I get someone who knows what they are doing in to the theater to calibrate the equipment. Not that I'm not happy - the theater is ridiculously awesome - I'm just nitpicking on stuff at this point.

The 4k movie I'm watching to try and calibrate the picture size, etc. is The Secret Life of Pets. We just got a dog so this is hitting home a little bit more!
post #739 of 742 Old 02-05-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I got those cables installed and I popped a 4K disc into the Xbox One and I'm getting a picture. So that's good... but it doesn't look that much better than some of the blu-rays we have. I thought I'd be blown away by the clarity and depth of colors. I still might not have everything set up properly - I'm playing with the settings on both the Xbox and JVC but I assume that it is seeing the 4K signal.

What is also annoying are the aspect ratios - I masked my screen but I cannot get the picture to fit exactly for 1.85:1. The screen masks to 1.78:1 (16:9). So there is about 2" of overhang on the sides that you can't see because of the velvet edge - the alternative is to have 2" black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Maybe I need to set this up using the Xbox menu that should be exactly 16:9 for TV and video games. I'm still playing around.

I think the bottom line is that I'm not going to be happy until I get someone who knows what they are doing in to the theater to calibrate the equipment. Not that I'm not happy - the theater is ridiculously awesome - I'm just nitpicking on stuff at this point.

The 4k movie I'm watching to try and calibrate the picture size, etc. is The Secret Life of Pets. We just got a dog so this is hitting home a little bit more!
I don't have 4K, but I haven't noticed a big difference in regular DVD's and Blu-Ray when it comes to cartoons. Maybe try something with real people in it to see if there is a bigger difference. Just my 2 cents and what I would try. I wish I had 4K, maybe some day.

post #740 of 742 Old 09-13-2018, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It has been a while... my theater has been up and running for several months now and we are enjoying it. I need to post some "finished" pics even though there are still a few things I need to figure out. I just got a Zidoo X9S up and running for streaming all of my content and it seems to be working great. The Xbox One X is great for disc-based media but not so great for files. It would play some but not all - sometimes I'd get a picture and no sound, sometimes nothing at all. Next up is setting up a NAS in the house so that I have a place I can put everything (I'm going off of an 8TB HDD via USB that is already full).

I also need to get someone out to the house to play with the settings on both the audio and video side of things. I just don't know what I'm doing. Everything sounds great but I'm not sure it sounds like it should. Surround and Atmos are very subtle - most of the sound comes from the front, which I know is right, but the other speakers seem too soft. The picture the projector throws is fantastic too but I'm not sure if it is a little too dark. I just don't know. We watched Darkest Hour and The Matrix in the same weekend and neither one of those movies has much color so everything felt drab. Same with Rogue One. Animated stuff looks good to me though so it is probably just the way some of these movies are shot. Oh yeah - definitely watch Jumanji in 4K if you can. Best "experience" we've had. Crisp picture but the sound - holy crap. The Atmos and the surrounds and the butt kickers all working in unison. It was just about perfect.

Only negative right now is unfortunately my projector (JVC RS520) has been making a TON of fan noise. It is to the point where I can hear it above all else in a scene with dialogue only. Not sure what to do but I need to get this fixed or I'll go crazy.
post #741 of 742 Old 09-14-2018, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 234
First of all, YES you need to post some "finished" pictures for us

Second, you mention that some of the movies seem a bit dark. Is it only your 4K blu-rays or also the "normal" blur-rays (1080p)? It could be due to the 4K blu-rays outputting in HDR, which can result in a picture that's dark and "dull" on some (maybe most) projectors. On my JVC RS400 I only play movies in SDR mode since I find the image too dull in HDR mode. An upside to doing this is that I can keep the fan in the 'low' setting, so it doesn't make so much noise, whereas HDR requires the 'high' fan speed.

Also, regarding noise, I've been told by JVC tech support that when e-shift is turned on, an extra fan kicks in. Unfortunately on my specific unit, that fan seems to have a bad bearing or something, because it is making a very audible (and nnoying) noise when i watch 4K content. Luckily, it is only in very quiet scenes that I notice it, but I plan on building a projector hush box, which is completely sealed to avoid as much noise as possible.

No matter what, it sounds like from your experiences that it would be a good idea to spend the money on a proffesional calibrator. With a room as nice as yours it would be a shame to only have it perform "mediocre" due to wrong settings.

P.S. I should mention that I have not yet done any calibration to the projector, so my observations on SDR vs. HDR might change down the road.

My Small Home Theater Build
JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
post #742 of 742 Old 09-14-2018, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
The oppo 203 has a get around that keeps the wide color gamut but strips the hdr. My HDR went from ok at best to absolutely great picture after I did that. Bad thing is any oppos are ridiculously priced now

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Mahuzz13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page