My house is not appraising for enough - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My house is not appraising for enough

My house is under construction, and I took a 5 bedroom, 3 bath house, and converted it to a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with a large media room. Now the house is appraising for less than the builder's asking price (7900 less). Is there a way to avoid this? Have others had the same issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 09:43 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryet View Post
My house is under construction, and I took a 5 bedroom, 3 bath house, and converted it to a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with a large media room. Now the house is appraising for less than the builder's asking price (7900 less). Is there a way to avoid this? Have others had the same issue?
Well I think its pretty obvious you lost 2 bedrooms and a bath....that's almost 50% of room loss in your house when those are the things that give it the most value. No way to avoid it unless you don't turn those into a media room....10 times out of 10 if you are looking to keep or increase the value of your house, do not convert the extra rooms into a media room or any other "general" space. When appraisals happen those are the things that get compared to other houses in your neighborhood.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #3 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
Quote:
I think, based on the limited info, that you need to come up with $7900 extra at closing to get your mortgage... Correct?

Certainly, you have your A/V priorities in order!
GoCaboNow likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sounds like your "change orders" lowered the value of the home so the lender may require you to pay the $7900.

Maybe get another appraisal?
post #5 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 09:56 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked: 5859
This is certainly a good cautionary lesson on removing bedrooms and baths.

To avoid this buy an existing house and modify for your needs after the fact.
post #6 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
This is certainly a good cautionary lesson on removing bedrooms and baths.

To avoid this buy an existing house and modify for your needs after the fact.
I won't have a problem finding the $7900, but I am more worried about resale. It is a shame that that media rooms aren't valued by appraisers. It drives the industry in the direction of building 5+ bedrooms, while most American families don't need them. Adding a media room, to me, is a better justification of a larger home, but it is impossible finding a media room in a new home that is under 3000 square feet. Appraisals is probably the reason why.
post #7 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I had an issue when I was selling my home this summer. The appraisers only take into account the permanent things in a media room. So make sure they(appraiser)knows if you DD/GG or any other permanent structure in the media room. Other than that they just count it as a extra room(not bedroom) and that's it.

I was there when they did my appraisal and I pointed out all the upgrades to the walls/etc.

The new owners will think its worth it, but you are right it will be a little tougher for the banks to think that. The industry needs a little more common sense!!

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
BENQ LK970, 180" Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900/5000, 7.2.4 set up 3 Seaton Catalyst 12c's / 8 - MT110SR's / Dual T-18's/HTPC/MadVR
post #8 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 12:39 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
I won't have a problem finding the $7900, but I am more worried about resale. It is a shame that that media rooms aren't valued by appraisers. It drives the industry in the direction of building 5+ bedrooms, while most American families don't need them. Adding a media room, to me, is a better justification of a larger home, but it is impossible finding a media room in a new home that is under 3000 square feet. Appraisals is probably the reason why.
To bad you don't live an area of the country with full basements, here our media/game/theater space is typically tucked down under. The number of bedrooms and baths is unaffected and we do get appraisal benefit for finished basement space, but not as much per sq/ft.
post #9 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFred View Post
So make sure they(appraiser)knows if you DD/GG or any other permanent structure in the media room. Other than that they just count it as a extra room(not bedroom) and that's it.
Sorry, what is DD/GG?
post #10 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Sorry, what is DD/GG?

Double Drywall/ Green Glue. So just saying anything that upgrades the room and is permanent, can help the room/house appraise a bit more. Might not be much, but anything help

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
BENQ LK970, 180" Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900/5000, 7.2.4 set up 3 Seaton Catalyst 12c's / 8 - MT110SR's / Dual T-18's/HTPC/MadVR
post #11 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 580
I bought my first house this past May and was surprised by value of having a media room. My realtor told me that the media room adds very little value to the home and most people view them as a storage room at best, completely wasted space at worse. She said this is different in parts of the country with basements, but in DFW at least, it's a waste of square footage. She actually told me she had a list of ideas that she would typically handout to people giving them ideas of what they can do with a media room, other then a home theater. The people living in my house before us used it as a small gym.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #12 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
To bad you don't live an area of the country with full basements, here our media/game/theater space is typically tucked down under. The number of bedrooms and baths is unaffected and we do get appraisal benefit for finished basement space, but not as much per sq/ft.
Yep, living and building in an area without basements, I realized I was going to have to add that "media room" square footage above and beyond the 4+ bed, 3+ baths needed for broad appeal for any house of that size. So my game room is actually two rooms with the 2nd able to be closed in for a 5th legal bedroom, and the theater is a another space entirely.

Not going to find <3000sqft homes (without basements) with a small number of bedrooms and a big media/game space. Market is too small, and yes, appraisals reflect that, and to some degree, drive that. Same as fireplaces here in Houston. Everyone has one, just for "resale"... (I do use mine, but still, the builders won't build without one)

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #13 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I won't have a problem finding the $7900, but I am more worried about resale. It is a shame that that media rooms aren't valued by appraisers.
If you deleted a bathroom and a bedroom, especially if most of the surrounding homes are a similar size, that will certainly be a negative impact on the appraisal, and will affect resale in the sense of making the home less appealing to the broad market. Doesn't mean it won't sell - just that it will appeal to a smaller set of buyers.

Now, if this is your "forever home", don't worry about it...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #14 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 01:15 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Same as fireplaces here in Houston. Everyone has one, just for "resale"... (I do use mine, but still, the builders won't build without one)
Hey you need someplace to hang your 4K flat-panel display. I refuse to ever buy a house where the only place to put my TV is above a mantel. Nor will I buy a house that has the fireplace pre-wired for a TV because I won't use it.
roknrol and bombertodd like this.
post #15 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey you need someplace to hang your 4K flat-panel display. I refuse to ever buy a house where the only place to put my TV is above a mantel. Nor will I buy a house that has the fireplace pre-wired for a TV because I won't use it.
I remember homes being built around 1995-2005 had "media niches". I hated them at the time, as it was too high for proper placement, plus it limited the dimensions of the TV. Now with HD those niches are completely useless.
post #16 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
My fireplace is pushed into the corner where is belongs, with the rest of the wall being built-ins with a big TV spot low in the center, where it belongs!

superleo and Kingram like this.

Last edited by jautor; 11-02-2015 at 03:21 PM.
post #17 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I remember homes being built around 1995-2005 had "media niches". I hated them at the time, as it was too high for proper placement, plus it limited the dimensions of the TV. Now with HD those niches are completely useless.
The otherwise-odd 37" HDTV screen size, IIRC, came from its ability to completely fill the niche intended for fat 32" 4:3 CRT's...

post #18 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

this is what I would want

Brian Fineberg and femi like this.
post #19 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
My fireplace is pushed into the corner where is belongs, with the rest of the wall being built-ins with a big TV spot low in the center, where it belongs!

Man, that space above the mantle is just screaming for a flat screen.

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #20 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Man, that space above the mantle is just screaming for a flat screen.

If I put a few bricks under the front legs of the couch to get the viewing angle right, it just might work!
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #21 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 978
I have a ranch with a full unfinished basement. The fireplace is right in the middle of the house. Subsequently, the base of the fireplace in the basement is about a 6'x3' obstruction screwing with plans to build a theater as well as another bedroom and bathroom down there. My neighbor's fireplace is on an outer wall so he doesn't have this issue. Wish I were in the same boat

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #22 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Yep. Resale will be affected even though almost no families have use for 5 bedroom homes. I didn't care much about resale as I expect to stay in my house as long as I can.

3700 square feet, 2 bedrooms. (3.5 baths) We built large entertaining areas, a studio, study/library, and media room. Only two rooms qualify for bedrooms, and the second bedroom is a guest room that isn't used much as is.
post #23 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
this is what I would want
Was my thought too.

post #24 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
She actually told me she had a list of ideas that she would typically handout to people giving them ideas of what they can do with a media room, other then a home theater. The people living in my house before us used it as a small gym.
This hurts in my giblets.
DMJ likes this.
post #25 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmd11 View Post
Haha, agreed. I guess this is a plus for us basement builders. I am not terribly worried about resale but I have a hard time thinking that today's young buyers would see a dedicated theater as a detractor.

I suppose an alternate use could be for a panic room???
post #26 of 45 Old 11-02-2015, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Haha, agreed. I guess this is a plus for us basement builders. I am not terribly worried about resale but I have a hard time thinking that today's young buyers would see a dedicated theater as a detractor.

I suppose an alternate use could be for a panic room???
post #27 of 45 Old 11-03-2015, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I absolutely HATE fireplaces, as they're just big holes from your house to the outside. However, everyone seems to like them. Same for large tubs. We bought a "McMansion" (basically, a large rectangular house) that has a HUGE jetted tub. We've lived here for over two years and have never used it and likely never will, as it would take too much water to fill it up. But everyone seems to want one of those (although nice showers seem to be getting more air time now, thank goodness).

Now, since we have a fireplace and it's the best place to put a TV, we're going to redo the fireplace (to lower the mantel and make some nice shelving), and put the TV above it. We're also going to get a working gas insert and air seal everything so that the fireplace isn't as energy inefficient as it currently is.

For me, I'm going to make a theater room that does not look like a theater room. I think theater rooms drive down resale, not add to it.

Bob
post #28 of 45 Old 11-03-2015, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraejtp View Post
Yep. Resale will be affected even though almost no families have use for 5 bedroom homes. I didn't care much about resale as I expect to stay in my house as long as I can.

3700 square feet, 2 bedrooms. (3.5 baths) We built large entertaining areas, a studio, study/library, and media room. Only two rooms qualify for bedrooms, and the second bedroom is a guest room that isn't used much as is.
I have a 4 bedroom house and wish I have a five bedroom. Three for family, one or two for guests, one for office. Now, you can also build a separate office space, and I wouldn't mind that, but in our house the only place to do that is in the basement, which is unfinished. To finish the basement is going to be expensive.

Bob
post #29 of 45 Old 11-03-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I bought my first house this past May and was surprised by value of having a media room. My realtor told me that the media room adds very little value to the home and most people view them as a storage room at best, completely wasted space at worse. She said this is different in parts of the country with basements, but in DFW at least, it's a waste of square footage. She actually told me she had a list of ideas that she would typically handout to people giving them ideas of what they can do with a media room, other then a home theater. The people living in my house before us used it as a small gym.
Not different here in San Antonio. House at end of our cul de sac was a 5-bedroom model that the second owner remodeled upstairs to remove one bedroom and extend the space over the garage to build a purpose built theater. Next owner backed a huge dumpster into the driveway and tore out the theater and converted back to a 5-bedroom house with a playroom where the theater had been.

Our house was designed and built with a "media" room upstairs but quite frankly it's not much more than a bedroom without a closet. I didn't think much about it at the time, I was so happy about escaping the weather and commuting nightmare of Northern Virginia, but I really miss my basement. Mrs K knows she's "dodged the bullet" so to speak because BIGmouthinDC and I would have done some serious damage to my bank account if I still lived in our Reston house.
BIGmouthinDC likes this.

Last edited by randyk47; 11-03-2015 at 09:06 AM.
post #30 of 45 Old 11-03-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
One of the suggestions was to turn the room into a dance room. Remove the carpet, put a mirror and a rail on the long wall, and it would be a great room for my daughter to learn ballet. I actually felt kind of bad for the room when I heard that, like all the other media rooms would make fun of it.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page