Carolina Jones and the Theater Temple - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 01-20-2016, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Carolina Jones and the Theater Temple

Carolina Jones and the Theater Temple

Thank you to everyone that spends time on these threads. I especially appreciate those that have not only documented their entire build, but who have also stuck around to give advice to the next class of theater builders. After many false starts (including a change of address), I am finally ready to begin.

My space will come from an attic that the builder gave us the option to convert into a third floor (i.e. large room). The entire room is open to the stairs. It also unfortunately has a mechanical closet in the middle-side of the room. I will be closing the room off to give a final usable dimension of about 25'4" x 12'.

No big sound proofing effort will be made... I do not have the time or money.

Equipment / Setup:
7.2 Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR626
Projector: Panosonic AE8000
LCR: 3 x Elusive 1099s
Surrounds: 4 x Volt 6s
Subs: 2 x Marty Cube / Stereo Integrity 18s
Screen: 120" Seymour Center Stage XD acoustically transparent screen / false wall

I am going to attempt a baffle wall, even though I really have no clue what I am doing Hopefully I do not butcher the sound in the process. The plan is to place the LCRs as close as possible to the recommended spacing, at ear level. Then I'll add one sheet of 1/2" MDF and two sheets of 1/2" drywall.

Current / Original Plan:
chriscmore likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 01-20-2016, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 41 Old 01-20-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Welcome back Robert! Hopefully I and others will help you get this theater up and running quickly. I live few miles from you and last time I saw your theater in person which was a month ago you just started your false wall build. How's it all coming along? Can't wait for you to post pics and document the whole process. Funny the other day when you demo'd my system you thought my sub was loud when I only have 12 inch in a big open floor plan.....wait til you get your two 18 inch marty subs hooked up! Either you will have bigger smile on your face or poop your pants!

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 01-20-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For some reason your theater name reminds me of a movie....Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #5 of 41 Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Eric. I should be getting a delivery of lumber this week to start the stage framing. I was originally thinking about building a separate platform for the subs behind the stage, but now I am thinking I may just build the stage all the way to the back wall and put the subs on top. Then I would rebuild the baffle wall on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
For some reason your theater name reminds me of a movie....Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!
Hopefully this doesn't become the theater of doom.
post #6 of 41 Old 01-21-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes do the stage floor all the way to front wall and build the baffle wall on top of the stage. Just make sure you have enough room to walk behind the baffle wall if needed for your speaker connections and in case you need to remove a speaker, etc.

post #7 of 41 Old 05-15-2016, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Found this picture from when I built my screen frame...

post #8 of 41 Old 05-15-2016, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

I had thought of just building an acoustically transparent screen wall...

... but my son wanted a stage, so I decided to eventually remove this structure and start over.
post #9 of 41 Old 05-15-2016, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

In the meantime I started on the entry wall. My room is in a converted attic, which is open on the backside near the stairs. That needs to be fixed:

Same side of wall:

From inside the room:

Electrical for the new wall comes from an outlet that is being covered up by the new wall:

First layer of drywall added to inside wall. Electrical lines have been run to new outlets. They look a little high, but they will be around "normal" height once the stage is built.

From inside the room:
post #10 of 41 Old 05-15-2016, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Cool build thread! I like your idea of walling-off the stairs that lead to the HT; I had a similar problem and fixed it with a similar solution. Whereas in your situation, the stairs come up at the end of and centered on the room, mine came up in a corner at the rear of the room. I walled in a door and you walled in a wall. Your scope was larger but same issue, basically.

That storage closet outside the theater: That could be your equipment room...it would need some ventilation, but you could essentially keep everything but the PJ outside the room. Have you thought about that?
post #11 of 41 Old 05-16-2016, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelddd View Post
Cool build thread! I like your idea of walling-off the stairs that lead to the HT; I had a similar problem and fixed it with a similar solution. Whereas in your situation, the stairs come up at the end of and centered on the room, mine came up in a corner at the rear of the room. I walled in a door and you walled in a wall. Your scope was larger but same issue, basically.

That storage closet outside the theater: That could be your equipment room...it would need some ventilation, but you could essentially keep everything but the PJ outside the room. Have you thought about that?
Thanks Michael! I have been following your build. It has been nice to see how are you are tackling some similar issues.

The storage closet: my original intention was to use it as an equipment closet. In fact I had the closet wired with Cat 6 and coax for that purpose, but I have since - at least for the time being - moved away from that idea. I am currently planning to put the equipment rack behind the front screen wall, which is mostly built. I will post some pics as soon as possible and will look forward to any feedback.
post #12 of 41 Old 05-16-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
Electrical for the new wall comes from an outlet that is being covered up by the new wall:
Be careful there. Any electrical junctions need to be within an outlet box with a removable cover that must be kept accessible. Hiding junctions in the walls is against code and dangerous. Part of the reason for this is so that the wires can be accessible for inspection and repair, if it ever becomes necessary. But more importantly, enclosing the connections within a COVERED electrical box can help contain the potential overheating from a loose connection and possible fire within the junction box so that it does not spread within your walls.

While it is still accessible, I would strongly recommend moving the box over a few inches so that it falls next to the new wall rather than hidden behind it. Either put an outlet in it, or just a cover.

Last edited by DaveClement; 05-16-2016 at 05:44 PM. Reason: mis-formed sentance.
post #13 of 41 Old 05-16-2016, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I did something similar to what Dave is suggesting in order to get power to my riser. I tapped into an outlet and ran the wire out thru a hole in the wall, into the riser.

Not exactly to code, but I can get to the connection if need be simply by pulling the outlet out. I left plenty of slack in the wire (14ga Romex) too.

Now that the deck is on the riser, it's physically impossible to touch the wire coming out of the wall as the deck covers the gap b/t the riser frame and the wall.
post #14 of 41 Old 05-16-2016, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveClement View Post
Any electrical junctions need to be within an outlet box with a removable cover that must be kept accessible.
@DaveClement and @michaelddd Thank you for you heads up. The junction box is now completely covered by the framing and drywall, but I have access to the other side of the wall, which is attic space. I will investigate to see what my options are at this point. I plan to have an electrical inspection done, so it will be good to resolve this beforehand.
post #15 of 41 Old 05-16-2016, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I had started building a standalone screen wall, but when my son told me he wanted a stage I pulled down the beginnings of the first screen wall and built a stage:
post #16 of 41 Old 05-16-2016, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Then up went the speaker baffle wall. I built the wall in place, as opposed to building it on the ground and lifting it up, just in case there were any high or low spots. I needed an extra set of hands that I did not have while putting the top plate up. I had previously thought about buying the Third Hand Contractor Pulls after seeing it on another member's theater, but I just could not convince myself to spend the money. Fortunately I had an adjustable paint pole hanging around (it's resting in this picture behind the wall to the right). It came in handy when holding the top 2x4 in place while attaching it to the ceiling - and at quite a discount over the Third Hand.

post #17 of 41 Old 05-16-2016, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

The baffle wall was covered with one layer of 1/2" MDF followed by two 1/2" sheets of drywall. Green Glue was applied between each layer.

I made the mistake early on of cutting out the speaker holes, then applying the Green Glue and lifting the drywall sheets up in place. This made the drywall sheets weak (duh), and one of the early ones snapped while I was trying to put it up. On subsequent sheets I dry fitted the drywall on the speaker and traced the speaker hole onto the back of the drywall so that I would know where not to put Green Glue. I then applied the Green Glue, lifted into place, secured, and then cut out the speaker holes. Much better.

post #18 of 41 Old 05-17-2016, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Making progress. I hope the 1099's were put to use in the down period; it is a shame for them to be idle.
post #19 of 41 Old 05-17-2016, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

I enjoy the 1099s for movies and music when I can. I love their clarity. It will be fun to start watching movies with them in their new home.

I had picked up some Green Glue and Linacoustic from @24Changer back in August 2014. It has taken so long to get started, but I am finally making progress. Thank you Kevin for packing the Linacoustic so incredibly well. It made it through a house move, as well as countless other abuses.

Applied:

Speakers:
24Changer and eng-399 like this.
post #20 of 41 Old 05-20-2016, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
How did I miss this thread from a fellow Charlottean???!!!! Great progress so far - keep it up!

If you have no further use for the remaining Linacoustic, I'm in the market.
post #21 of 41 Old 05-20-2016, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
How did I miss this thread from a fellow Charlottean???!!!! Great progress so far - keep it up!

If you have no further use for the remaining Linacoustic, I'm in the market.
Thank you TMcg. My journey started in Charlotte when I built my 1099 speakers. I have since moved to a new home just south of the border into South Carolina.

I do not know how much Linacoustic is left. I bought @24Changer 's leftovers and have probably used about half of what he gave me. I want to extend an AC return box, so I may still need a little more, but I will keep you in mind. I will PM you.
post #22 of 41 Old 05-21-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Subscribed.

I like your design, especially the the top of the stairs wall and side entrance. Looking forward to see how this turns out.

And to heck with soundproofing!
post #23 of 41 Old 05-21-2016, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
Subscribed.

I like your design, especially the the top of the stairs wall and side entrance. Looking forward to see how this turns out.

And to heck with soundproofing!
Thanks Box, and welcome! The room is not exactly how I would have wanted, but I think having the side entrance will give it some character that I would not have been creative enough to incorporate otherwise.

Re: soundproofing, I am hoping I will be okay. I watched a few test movies before the entry wall was up and could barely hear the sound on the floor below (where all of the bedrooms are located). I imagine it will be even better once the entry wall is completed.
post #24 of 41 Old 05-23-2016, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
Thanks Box, and welcome! The room is not exactly how I would have wanted, but I think having the side entrance will give it some character that I would not have been creative enough to incorporate otherwise.

Re: soundproofing, I am hoping I will be okay. I watched a few test movies before the entry wall was up and could barely hear the sound on the floor below (where all of the bedrooms are located). I imagine it will be even better once the entry wall is completed.

It's always fun to see how people work with less than ideal rooms. Something like the dark star theater by @mattowpe is a good example and one of my favorite transformations.

I'm curious, what did you use to draw your floor plan?
post #25 of 41 Old 05-23-2016, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
It's always fun to see how people work with less than ideal rooms. Something like the dark star theater by @mattowpe is a good example and one of my favorite transformations.

I'm curious, what did you use to draw your floor plan?
The dark star theater is awesome.

For the floor plan shown I used Adobe Illustrator (the paid application version, not the cloud version). I created the original version of this floor plan on my iPad in a program called Inkpad, which is more conducive to late night theater planning sessions in bed. It's also only $2
post #26 of 41 Old 05-30-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looking good so far! You have made a lot of progress since last time I was at your house. Keep it up!

post #27 of 41 Old 05-31-2016, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
I like the festool dust collector. You must be part of the master race.
post #28 of 41 Old 06-01-2016, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I like the festool dust collector. You must be part of the master race.
Ah, yes, my Festool dust extractor. I have an older model Dewalt contractor table saw that would only cut 16" wide cuts... difficult for building subs. I also had a Dewalt skill saw that broke down early in my build. So, rather than buying new models of each I decided to apply those funds towards a Festool track saw. I did not initially buy the dust extractor (cost), but I eventually broke down. What a great combo. It is great being able to cut material right in the room.

So, "master race," no, but "master dust extraction race," yes. Maybe if I start displaying the track saw and dust extractor prominently in each of my pictures I can get Festool to sponsor some of my future tool purchases.
post #29 of 41 Old 06-01-2016, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

My son is always asking to help with the theater build, so it's always nice to find something that he can help with that won't cause the loss of limbs.

My Seymour AV material was not really attached to the screen frame before, outside of about 4 screws. I finally took the time to attach it today. I had ordered just the material from Seymour in an attempt to save some money. I then punched holes around the perimeter and added grommets. I then looped o-rings through the holes and attached each to the wood frame with short screws. I was a little reticent about how it would come out, especially since I had kind of abused the material by folding it over once or twice while moving it around. Fortunately it came out pretty well. There is a very very slight wrinkle in the upper left-hand portion of the screen, but I should be able to fix that by adjusting the screw in that location.

eng-399 likes this.
post #30 of 41 Old 06-02-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Coming along nicely!

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page