Aussie Building New House with Dedicated HT - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 108Likes

post #61 of 206 Old 03-15-2016, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 541
So the speakers will be fine being located in that 900mm either side?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 206 Old 03-15-2016, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post
So the speakers will be fine being located in that 900mm either side?

Honestly, I'm not an expert, just an enthusiast.
My room is not a 100% dedicated theater room, and my gear is about as low end as you can get.
Despite this, having a decent size screen and some tower speakers certainly has the wow factor when people walk in.

I think it'll look great, but at the end of the day it's up to you.
hatlesschimp likes this.

PSN Brown-Corolla
post #63 of 206 Old 03-16-2016, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thats ok mate! I apreciate any help and youve been great! 👍

I ordered a pair of Ci5160RL-THX in wall speakers and a Ci3160RL-THX for center, down the track I will buy 4 more ci3160rl-thx for surrounds. One thing I noticed on Kefs website is I have the option to buy rough in plates for the speakers. Do I need them for my new house im building?
Also my walls are 90mm between plaster. Do I need to make these wider to fit these speakers or should I just extend a section of the wall out to fit the speakers in wall.

Here is one of my Ci200RR-Thx speakers that arrived the other day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 206 Old 03-16-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I ordered a pair of Ci5160RL-THX in wall speakers and a Ci3160RL-THX for center, down the track I will buy 4 more ci3160rl-thx for surrounds.
Oh, I didn't realise these were all in wall speakers, my bad.

Quote:
One thing I noticed on Kefs website is I have the option to buy rough in plates for the speakers. Do I need them for my new house im building?
nope the cardboard "cutout template" is all you need.

Quote:
Also my walls are 90mm between plaster. Do I need to make these wider to fit these speakers or should I just extend a section of the wall out to fit the speakers in wall.
This is big a problem. Building out sections to accommodate an in wall speaker sort of defeats the purpose to me.
Does it say on that spec sheets depth = 132.6mm? If this is the deepest driver (check them all, cause they're probably different) then you'll probably need at least 150mm clearance (180mm might be better)
It would be worth discussing with your builder an option to use thicker studs, or just double stud to give you enough depth all around?
hatlesschimp likes this.

PSN Brown-Corolla
post #65 of 206 Old 03-16-2016, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud76 View Post
Oh, I didn't realise these were all in wall speakers, my bad.

nope the cardboard "cutout template" is all you need.

This is big a problem. Building out sections to accommodate an in wall speaker sort of defeats the purpose to me.
Does it say on that spec sheets depth = 132.6mm? If this is the deepest driver (check them all, cause they're probably different) then you'll probably need at least 150mm clearance (180mm might be better)
It would be worth discussing with your builder an option to use thicker studs, or just double stud to give you enough depth all around?
Kef website says 99mm (3.9") mounting depth.

So I have 90mm stud then 10mm plaster. I will see if I can get 16mm plaster and that will give me 7mm in theory. Will that be enough?

post #66 of 206 Old 03-16-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Kef website says 99mm (3.9") mounting depth.

So I have 90mm stud then 10mm plaster. I will see if I can get 16mm plaster and that will give me 7mm in theory. Will that be enough?
In theory yes. But 7mm is not a lot.
Other options I can think of would be
  • 100mm stud
  • Double plasterboard

PSN Brown-Corolla
post #67 of 206 Old 03-16-2016, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Hey mate. I just noticed this thread! Good to see another Aussie doing a HT the right way! Right from the beginning.

Funnily enough, I am a building designer myself. I run my own business from home and spend way too much time here during the day. It's true that 7mm is not a lot of room to spare there, however it will technically fit.

One thing I would suggest is using Fyrchek in there if the builder will accommodate that. It will give you a bit better sound isolation due it's density, and will be 16mm giving you an extra 6mm of depth over the standard 10mm plasterboard there.
hatlesschimp and Mud76 like this.

Last edited by AudyoVidyo; 03-16-2016 at 05:54 PM.
post #68 of 206 Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudyoVidyo View Post
Hey mate. I just noticed this thread! Good to see another Aussie doing a HT the right way! Right from the beginning.

Funnily enough, I am a building designer myself. I run my own business from home and spend way too much time here during the day. It's true that 7mm is not a lot of room to spare there, however it will technically fit.

One thing I would suggest is using Fyrchek in there if the builder will accommodate that. It will give you a bit better sound isolation due it's density, and will be 16mm giving you an extra 6mm of depth over the standard 10mm plasterboard there.
Am I doing it the right way lol. Thanks for offering me some help. Will great to hear what you come up with. Cheers!

post #69 of 206 Old 03-24-2016, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I tried to think outside the box with the house plan to fix the Theatre room access and Rack placement. The rack was driving me bonkers because My wife wouldn't go any smaller on the study room and didn't want the rack in the garage. Also I didnt think having the rack in the garage was a good idea either but mainly because of her parking skills but I told her it was for dust and moisture .

So i had to extend the study out but it works nice with a grand style entrance to the Theatre off the main living room and depending on orientation of the door/s it be left open some times, there will be a 0.6cm x 4m windows at the back / exterior wall up high. The rack stays in the closet. I will double stud the hallway wall. The garage got extended to the fence line boundary. the hallway near front door gets a little wider and the master wir gets moved down giving bed 2 some more room and the master a little. Garage entry point has been rotated 90 degrees. Depending on price I may have to sacrifice a little bit of the alfresco roofed area to keep us in budget.

What do you think. Is it better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Rough Plan.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	1334250  
post #70 of 206 Old 03-24-2016, 09:44 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5962 Post(s)
Liked: 5534
can you swing the double doors out instead of in? Then you can leave them open and not block anything going on and improve the traffic pattern.
post #71 of 206 Old 03-25-2016, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
I have a question which I can not find an answer for but hopefully someone can help me out.
I am trying to find out if I can install the KEF Ci5160 into a drywall which is setup with 2x4 studs? Do these speakers need breathing room? If the speakers fit, they probably would almost touch the backside of the opposite drywall! Would that be OK?
Thanks
post #72 of 206 Old 03-25-2016, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario021976 View Post
Hi guys,
I have a question which I can not find an answer for but hopefully someone can help me out.
I am trying to find out if I can install the KEF Ci5160 into a drywall which is setup with 2x4 studs? Do these speakers need breathing room? If the speakers fit, they probably would almost touch the backside of the opposite drywall! Would that be OK?
Thanks
Well here in australia we use 90mm stud and 10mm plaster sheet as standard. So with that in mind i think there is 1mm gap. Im going 16mm fyrchek plaster and that will give me 7mm. But my ci5160's will be mounted on a double stud wall so i will easily have room. The ci3160 will be used in single studded walls and as surrounds but i think they have a depth of 76mm from memory.

I recon just put up another layer of plaster and you will be fine.

**** sorry but does 2x4 mean 2 inches by 4 inches? If thats the case you have heaps of room.

post #73 of 206 Old 03-26-2016, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
So I tried to think outside the box with the house plan to fix the Theatre room access and Rack placement. The rack was driving me bonkers because My wife wouldn't go any smaller on the study room and didn't want the rack in the garage. Also I didnt think having the rack in the garage was a good idea either but mainly because of her parking skills but I told her it was for dust and moisture .

So i had to extend the study out but it works nice with a grand style entrance to the Theatre off the main living room and depending on orientation of the door/s it be left open some times, there will be a 0.6cm x 4m windows at the back / exterior wall up high. The rack stays in the closet. I will double stud the hallway wall. The garage got extended to the fence line boundary. the hallway near front door gets a little wider and the master wir gets moved down giving bed 2 some more room and the master a little. Garage entry point has been rotated 90 degrees. Depending on price I may have to sacrifice a little bit of the alfresco roofed area to keep us in budget.

What do you think. Is it better?
Overall I think this is a great layout !

I agree with BIG that the theatre doors should swing out rather than in. You also need to be aware that double doors are very difficult to soundproof - if it was me I'd change back to a single door.

Cheers,
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #74 of 206 Old 03-26-2016, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you keep the theatre entry the same width, but with a single door, the side walls would make great storage for discs and stuff.

Cheers,
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #75 of 206 Old 03-28-2016, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok so here is the final plans drawn up today. What do you think? Thanks for the help lads!!!

post #76 of 206 Old 03-29-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Howdy/belated Welcome!

Its nice to see another Aussie build on AVS.....you've got the name wrong though, you need "downunder" in the title to be a serious Australian HT on AVS

If you've not stumbled across it before, have a look at the first page or two of my build for sourcing all things you might want/need in Australia. Although in saying that, if you're not going down the soundproof path it wont be of as much use.

You own your speakers already from the sounds of it?

Not doing an AT screen? (I think you said no....pity, its the ducks nuts to have one)

If you need help in Melbourne check out Red Spade Audio, Paul Spencer is a great source of (a) knowledge and (b) custom speakers

Best of luck with the build!
hatlesschimp likes this.

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
List of Pro Designers
Glacial paced construction Since 2009
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"
post #77 of 206 Old 03-29-2016, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
If you keep the theatre entry the same width, but with a single door, the side walls would make great storage for discs and stuff.

Cheers,
Thanks Peter for the tips. As you can see I added enough room on one side to store blu ray like you said. I have the doors open inwards but they confuse me. Sam from QHD Homes said maybe I could make one of the doors sliding cavity. Im scared my 2 18" subs will rattle it to pieces. My wife wants an ironing board out near the living room so that hinders any chances of sliding on the outside door. Inside obviously impacts any in wall speakers potentially.

BTW nice Theatre! I feel blessed you have stopped by! Cheers

post #78 of 206 Old 03-29-2016, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You definitely don't want cavity sliders !

It looks much better now, but a couple of questions / comments on the lobby. I assume that's a hole in the wall between the equipment room and lobby so your gear is visible ? I'd swing the outer lobby door from the other side so that both doors cover the storage area when open.

Cheers,
post #79 of 206 Old 03-29-2016, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You definitely don't want cavity sliders !

It looks much better now, but a couple of questions / comments on the lobby. I assume that's a hole in the wall between the equipment room and lobby so your gear is visible ? I'd swing the outer lobby door from the other side so that both doors cover the storage area when open.

Cheers,
Only thing is with that both 920mm doors hit each other. I really dont want to make the room any smaller in width. Im also scared to go smaller on the doors and not be able to get any chairs in. Actually i havent even done the calculations to see if chairs will fit through the lobby. Yikes!

post #80 of 206 Old 03-29-2016, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How wide can you go with the doors just clearing each other ?

FWIW my doors are 820mm and the chairs went in no problems. They came in pieces and were assembled in-room.

Cheers,
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #81 of 206 Old 03-30-2016, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How wide can you go with the doors just clearing each other ?

FWIW my doors are 820mm and the chairs went in no problems. They came in pieces and were assembled in-room.

Cheers,
AWESOME! What chairs do you have? Would you recommend? Cheers again!

post #82 of 206 Old 03-30-2016, 08:41 PM

I'm really liking your plans.

Why not make the inside door a cavity and
leave no door on the outside?
or skinny double doors on the outside?
or skinny glass double doors on the outside? (frosted or curtained)
hatlesschimp likes this.

PSN Brown-Corolla

Last edited by Mud76; 03-30-2016 at 08:49 PM.
post #83 of 206 Old 03-30-2016, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
AWESOME! What chairs do you have? Would you recommend? Cheers again!
My chairs are from IMG. They appear to have changed their models - this is the nearest to mine -

IMG Monza

Don't be put off by the "Norway" labelling - they're made in Asia.

Cheers,
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #84 of 206 Old 05-04-2016, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Have to update the original post. Many developments. Lol
post #85 of 206 Old 05-04-2016, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Going to add a soffit/bulkhead too. Its a shallow one because my ceiling height is only 2550mm. So thinking 150mm to 200mm from the ceiling down and 300mm to 400mm extended from the wall and obviously some beautiful led strip lighting. Will add some led downlights into it as I work out where they are needed. I might need to make some back boxes that extend from ceiling to floor to house the surround Ci3160RL-Thx and stick out into the room.

post #86 of 206 Old 05-04-2016, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is the Kef in walls. Although they dont need to be opened for 6 months I just had to have a look at them lol.

They look so pretty!

Here is the JVC x7000 in our bedroom lol
SteveFred and Mud76 like this.
post #87 of 206 Old 05-07-2016, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Here is a suggestion for your subs and mains based on the various threads of yours that I have seen recently. If you are doing the baffle wall with AT screen like you have indicated, mount your subs between the LCR speakers and prepare wiring and blank plates so that you can add two more subs in the future. If you're up to DIY the mains, consider an active LCR setup with something like the following, which would allow you to run the mains active and split off your single sub output to multiple subs:

SEOS-18 waveguide: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/plastic-seos-12.html
DNA-260 Compression Driver: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/compres...s/dna-360.html
Dual AE TD15M woofers: http://aespeakers.com/shop/td/td15m/
MiniDSP10x10HD: https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...nidsp-10x10-hd
hatlesschimp likes this.

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #88 of 206 Old 05-09-2016, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Here is the Kef in walls. Although they dont need to be opened for 6 months I just had to have a look at them lol.

They look so pretty!

Here is the JVC x7000 in our bedroom lol

Of course you had to open the box. I did the same back in Dec with my projector and the T-18's. Then they went back in the boxes for 4 1/2 Looooong months haha.
hatlesschimp likes this.

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
BENQ LK970, 180" Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900/5000, 7.2.4 set up 3 Seaton Catalyst 12c's / 8 - MT110SR's / Dual T-18's/HTPC/MadVR
post #89 of 206 Old 05-09-2016, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFred View Post
Of course you had to open the box. I did the same back in Dec with my projector and the T-18's. Then they went back in the boxes for 4 1/2 Looooong months haha.
Still debating if I use these in my system. Im just wondering if they will be a significant improvement over my q900s or the Krix speakers ive taken a liking too. But visually they are amazing but will end up hidden behind a Acoustic Transparent screen. Lol
post #90 of 206 Old 05-23-2016, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just Hopked up the Samsung K8500 UHD player to my X7000 and im blown away! I havent played with the settings. Not sure if it gets any better but this looks great! Worth every cent!
Mud76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
australia , floor standing , Home Theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page