Aussie Building New House with Dedicated HT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 108Likes

post #1 of 206 Old 02-16-2016, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 541
HatlessChimp's 2016 Home Theater Build

Hi Peoples,

I'm finally building a new house we have settled on a 3rd plan now and its by far the best setup for the Home Theatre Room. I'm still waiting for the first draft of the house plans to come back and see what we need to amend. I already know I need to include provisions for all sorts of wiring and I'm yet to decide on the door type for entry. I also need to include an equipment closet. I don't know where that will be best positioned yet and to be honest I know nothing about them.

Here is the house plan we signed off on. (April 24th 2016)

Room Size - 5.4 Long x 4.5m Wide x 2.55m Height.

1st Original Rough Sketchup
Spoiler!

Sketchup - 5th May 2016
Spoiler!

Latest rough 3D Render - 12th September 2016
XXXX

Latest photos of the house being built (15th of September 2016)
XXXX

OLD Sketchup Ideas:
Spoiler!

Now going this way with Speakers and Equipment. Some significant upgrades that of pushed my budget to its limits.
Speakers:

Front L/R - KEF Ci5160RL-THX
Surround L/R - KEF Ci3160RL-THX
Surround Back - KEF Ci200RR-THX
Centre - KEF CI3160RL-THX
Atmos Ceiling - 4x KEF Ci200RR-THX
Subs - 2x 18" Ultimax Full MartySubs
Projector - JVC X7000
Screen - 2.35:1 - 120" to 140" not sure AT or not.
AVR - Yamaha AX3050
AMP - Rotel 1585 5ch x 200wpc (LRC + Surrounds)
AMP - Rotel 1555 5ch x 120wpc (Atmos)
Blu Ray - Oppo 103D
Satelite TV - Foxtel IQ3
PS4 + PSVR

My Home Theater Video Blog - Episode 1

Epson 9300 6040ub 4K UHD Projector - Real world unboxing and testing in cinemascope

Epson 4k Projector 9300 / 6040ub - Forza Horizon + Xbox One S

4k Projector VS Benq 2430 Monitor & Input Lag Test - Battlefield 1

Originally was going to run with these components
Spoiler!

25th Feb 2016 - House plan locked in. First drafts getting done will be ready for 29th Feb.

26th Feb 2016 - Investigating into Fire Hoods and backing housings for in ceiling speakers and if they are not installed with the in ceiling speaker to they void my houses fire insurance?

Looking into making my own subs!!! I am quite handy and don't mind giving it a crack just got to see if it will be an improvement over buying a 2nd SVS PC13Ultra. I'm guessing 2 or even 4 18" subs would be ridiculous but I want them to work 100 percent. I don't want to be fiddling with them all the time etc.

Also got to work out how I incorporate a equipment rack into my design and what I need to do to make it actually effective and not do a dodgy mashed up job of it.

So I have my home work cut out for me before the 29th Feb.

9th March 2016 - Some hard decisions had to be made. It was either full width of the house Alfresco or some extra sound proofing and my wife won out and we are going the Alfresco. I told her not to complain when the house is thumping!

So I will still have a sound check / fire proof plaster. It will be 10mm and not 16mm. Im not sure if they will use special glue but I will try. There will also be sound batts in the walls and better ones for the ceiling. The door will be a cheap solid wood door and I will see if I can fit some rubber trim seal after hand over of the house.

We haven't signed or paid anything to comence with building the house yet, but we will tomorrow or the next day.

I got confirmation that I can install the Conduit and speaker wire as needed no problem. They will let me know when I can do this at what stage suits. Good thing for me is I will be living next door to the house being built.

We will see the drafter next Tuesday So I need to sort out the Equipment rack / storage room. Its probably my biggest priority now. Would love some more of your thoughts lads. Thanks

BTW I bought the Yamaha RX-A3050 and picked it up yesterday. Today I remved the old Denon x4000 and fitted the 3050 and I must admit it sounds way better then the Denon. I was shocked! Im really happy with it. Now I'm putting money together for a 2nd Rotel Rmb 1585. I've been frantically selling stuff that wont fit, dont want or cant be bothered moving to the halfway house that we will be renting till our house is built. I'm almost there! maybe by this weekend I will have enough. However for Atmos 7.1.4 I will still be short of the 11 channels that need to be power by 1. hmmm

I'm going two custom FullMarty Subs. I have already purchased two 18' Dayton 18-22 Ultimax Subwoofer Drivers from PE. They wont be here till mid April. I'm looking forward to building them. Or should I say I look forard to trying to build them and I end up paying someone else to build them LOL

5th May 2016 - House contracts signed. Waiting on finance and building permit. Should start the build by end of the month.

14th September 2016 - Building is almost at lock up. Plasters are due in the next week. Still running cables through the house. Im lost with how I will attack the front projection wall and the remote control of the rack components.

Here are some preliminary 3D renders by @Silva741 to see what things may look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	017b.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1660385   Click image for larger version

Name:	017c (1).png
Views:	263
Size:	838.0 KB
ID:	1660393   Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (1).png
Views:	244
Size:	515.2 KB
ID:	1660401   Click image for larger version

Name:	005b (1).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1660409   Click image for larger version

Name:	017a (1).jpg
Views:	238
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1660417  

nomjolnir likes this.

Last edited by hatlesschimp; 12-02-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 206 Old 02-16-2016, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If you can extend the Family Room "up" in your picture (i.e. towards the tops of our screens) I would do so.

I would also keep all the windows as the builder intends and have plywood or plasterboard internal shutters put over them. Easy to knock out if / when you sell the place and the new buyer wants a Family Room not a cinema.

Put the screen or TV on the wall opposite the door.

If it were me, I would have the whole house wired with Cat6 or Cat7 Ethernet and wall outlets in every room. Cable TV and old-fashioned phones are going the way of the do-do. We had our house wired this way and have a central 16-way Ethernet switch, router and cable modem in an enclosure in the back of our walk-in wardrobe. Alll our phones are connected via Vonage and we get our TV either with an old-fashioned ariel in the attic for local TV and networks, and use Netflix, Amazon Fire, Hulu, etc. for everything else. That way we don't have to watch your flaming countrymen abusing marsupials on the Discovery Channel or put up with your other export's "news" channel - Faux News.
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #3 of 206 Old 02-16-2016, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 28
PS Get at least one 1-inch ID flexible plastic conduit put in for your surround sound speakers and another for an HDMI cable. It makes pulling the wires much much easier. A ceiling socket for the projector power supply is a given, a conduit to an outlet box for HDMI and / or Ethernet is a must to the same spot.

I don't know how your house is going to be built - brick and mortar outsides, air gap, concrete block inner walls or dry lined? Ours is a shed. Literally. Plywood and stucco over a wooden frame with plasterboard inner walls. Makes running cables a lot easier but God help us if there's a fire. There's four, I counted them, bricks in the whole house, and they're propping up the fireplace!
hatlesschimp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 206 Old 02-16-2016, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The bank has approved us now we just have to get the house drawn up how we want. And try and beat them down on the price lol. Exciting times but also scary times ahead! They think it will take 18 weeks to build it lol. Thats pretty quick!
post #5 of 206 Old 02-16-2016, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Since you're starting from scratch, I would let the seating arrangement determine the room size. How many people do you want to accommodate in the theater? How many rows? Once you determine the seating for the room you can work on side clearance for walkways and distance to the screen, etc. to determine overall dimensions.

Another thing to consider is the towers you are planning to use for your surrounds. Tower speakers will need adequate space from the side walls to perform properly which will add to overall width requirements of the room.

I'd also second the opinion on keeping the windows and using a removable panel to cover them up.

I would extend the kitchen area the additional meter to the left to better center the door to the room and get it out of the way from the right back surround speaker location.

Hope this helps! The floor plan looks great!

Jay
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #6 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smo0thie View Post
Spoiler!

Hope this helps! The floor plan looks great!

Jay
Thanks Jay & Darren Heal for your thoughts, I really appreciate it!!!

Most of the time its just my wife and I watching. but occasionally its 3. However, we do have a 18 month year old and a second buba on the way so I guess I should plan for 4. But then again they will be able to sit on our laps or on a bean bag for at least the next 10 years?

I think it might be hard to keep the room multi purpose if I go two rows of chairs because the second row will struggle to see past the first row without raising the level of the second row chairs. Also I want to keep it open for using the Playstation VR & HTC Vive.

I think I might just roll with the old 3 seat couch we have already (as seen in the pictures attached).

I think extending the top/north and left of the theatre room will be what I do. At this stage the new theatre room size will be 2.7m Height x 5m Wide x 6.5m Length. As long as it doesnt cost too much to do this.

Also the kitchen dining room must increase 1 metre to the left. Even without taking the Theatre room doors into consideration it looks a little crammed with the island kitchen bench which is also increasing its footprint.

Just remembered I have to power the sub so will need a power point near its location. And also plenty of power points for everything else. Thats the problem with my current house we are renting. I only have 2 power points for all that equipment. As you can see I want to make sure their is some sort of cable management in the new house lol.

Also wouldnt mind fitting in the bookshelf for the blu rays somewhere. But I guess that can also go somewhere else.

The pictures attached show our current make-shift theatre room in our rented house. Its dimensions are 5m x 7m with 9 foot ceilings. You can see the old trusty 3 seater couch we will use in the intrim.
I could maybe maybe eat into Bedroom 4 for storing the electrical equipment in a rack system???. But not sure if thats a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160217_223545.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	1259673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160217_223607.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1259681   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160217_223601.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1259689  
post #7 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Hi , regarding lighting i did this ..

spot down lights and LED strip up lights on a pelmet i built .

the room was purpose built and i have two small windows that you can just make out in this pic ..

when i need to block the windows out i just use some 5mm foam PVC that i cut to size .

best of luck with your build :-)
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #8 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

an older pic of the room when it was first done (lots have changed now ) but it will give you a better idea of the windows i did (also make great book shelves lol)

hatlesschimp likes this.
post #9 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Its a tough one because I love my Kef Q900s but to use them I need the extra space all round. I like the idea of having them in the walls, behind the screen and in the roof. And by doing this I would save money by not increasing the foot print of the room saving on building costs.

Hmm I wonder if i could sell my speakers and get some decent in wall speakers etc or am I just wasting my time. Could I mount the Kef speakers behind the screen and in walls? Like have a cut out and slip them inside and make them so they are flush?
post #10 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signs View Post
an older pic of the room when it was first done (lots have changed now ) but it will give you a better idea of the windows i did (also make great book shelves lol)

Looks good everything you've done.
Signs likes this.
post #11 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

On a side note i had the same TV as you in the lounge but we had a break in a few months back and the thieving scum lifted it off my wall and took it a long with clearing the rest of the house including the cinema room :-(
post #12 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

Hmm I wonder if i could sell my speakers and get some decent in wall speakers etc or am I just wasting my time. Could I mount the Kef speakers behind the screen and in walls? Like have a cut out and slip them inside and make them so they are flush?
Do you mean putting the speakers behind a AT screen ? that would work , i'm not sure about fitting them into the wall ?
post #13 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you mean putting the speakers behind a AT screen ? that would work , i'm not sure about fitting them into the wall ?
I done some quick research whilst I had popped some strong pain killers lol. ANyways looks like having the speakers free standing is best compared to mounting them in walls/ or actual in wall speakers. But only if space is not an issue. Basically it gets complicated very quickly with mounting speakers and there is a high possibility they don't get positioned correctly and your stuck with it.

My problem is the door/s and the surround backs. I'm scared I might have to mount them higher that the doors so they don't get knocked off their stands or trip people up. Also not sure what that will do to the sound.

My PC13U sub Is annoying me. I want a second one but I think its hieigt is going to get in the way of the screen. It was perfect for the current house but now Id love the shorter PB version so they could flank either side of the centre speaker.
post #14 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On a side note i had the same TV as you in the lounge but we had a break in a few months back and the thieving scum lifted it off my wall and took it a long with clearing the rest of the house including the cinema room :-(
I'm sorry to hear that. it is a good TV. I assume you had insurance? We have a sick alarm/surveilence system going in at the new house. Ive never had a break in but accross the road a guy nearly lost his 150k amg mercedes. lucky they couldn't find the kill switch.
post #15 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. it is a good TV. I assume you had insurance? We have a sick alarm/surveilence system going in at the new house. Ive never had a break in but accross the road a guy nearly lost his 150k amg mercedes. lucky they couldn't find the kill switch.
yeah insurance coughed in the end but only gave me 1.5k for the TV as it was only a month old and i hadn't listed it separately (lesson learned on that one !)
post #16 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My problem is the door/s and the surround backs. I'm scared I might have to mount them higher that the doors so they don't get knocked off their stands or trip people up. Also not sure what that will do to the sound.

Put the screen on the opposite wall to the door (like mine ) is that door way standard width ? if not could you build a false wall to the right of the door way (just enough to keep your right back speaker safe )

I realised with my build i had no space for my AV gear ( stupid i know ) so i got the builder to create the space by going back into the hallway a little
post #17 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yeah insurance coughed in the end but only gave me 1.5k for the TV as it was only a month old and i hadn't listed it separately (lesson learned on that one !)
I am going to ditch all my ideas about atmos and just get a second SVS PC13-Ultra sub. Ive always wanted dual subs. its going to set me back $2,999 Aussie Dollars plus the PJ I want is around $3,000. So plenty of saving to be done between now and when the house is finished.

Tomorrow I take a long drive out to have a look at the display home we are building just to make sure its what we want and I will assess the Theater Room. I will take some photos so you guys can see.
post #18 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

just to completely move the goal post lol , i got a Jvc x500 to replace my stolen jvc x7 , great bit of kit if you have a dedicated room :-)
post #19 of 206 Old 02-17-2016, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I done some quick research whilst I had popped some strong pain killers lol. ANyways looks like having the speakers free standing is best compared to mounting them in walls/ or actual in wall speakers. But only if space is not an issue. Basically it gets complicated very quickly with mounting speakers and there is a high possibility they don't get positioned correctly and your stuck with it.

My PC13U sub Is annoying me. I want a second one but I think its hieigt is going to get in the way of the screen. It was perfect for the current house but now Id love the shorter PB version so they could flank either side of the centre speaker.

Personally I think it's difficult to pull off free-standing speakers as side surrounds. The amount of space required from the speaker to the wall plus adequate distance to the nearest listener adds up to a lot of width required to pull it off. And they just seem to get in the way, being right where you want a walkway to be. Rear surrounds are more manageable, especially with only one row of seating like you have. The fronts are no problem, all listeners are typically all far enough away and there's not usually much traffic around the front wall for it to be a problem.

I am not personally familiar with those speakers but from what I could tell they are not ported, but have passive radiators. So they could potentially work being flush mounted to a column or wall if done properly (as long as the passive radiators are on the front baffle). I would research this option further before discarding it as I think it will create a cleaner looking theater with more floor space and less clutter — and you can build the room smaller too.
post #20 of 206 Old 02-18-2016, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So Atmos is back in town!!! BOOM!!!

The lads over at SVS Subs owners thread have convinced me to go Atmos and get the second sub later.

However my AVR is Denon x4000. Its a good AVR but probably not going to go for much money second hand. I do like Denon and wouldn't mind continuing the awesome relationship with them. I know 4k and 4:4:4 chroma are a requirement for me going forward. I can see myself buying a 4k Projector one day. But not in the next 4 years due to price.

So I need help with selecting an Atmos enabled AVR. The Denon AVR x7200 looks decent but I don't know if its the most recent or not. Is there new Atmos AVR's on the horizon? Lucky for me I have a 5 channel 200w per channel rotel amp. Should I have an eye on DTS: X and Aurora enabled AVR's?

Also what speakers should I use for the roof? Should I go 4? What ceiling speakers, brand, model etc?

My wife took some pictures of the display home from the plan Ive shown you. Also I can confirm the alterations to the room for exact sizes now and I have an idea for the electrical components. As you can see on the new plan I have marked an area in green. Maybe with extending the top end of the house by a metre its allowed me a little room to pinch from the bedroom next to the Theatre room to fit a rack for all the components. What do you think?

Theater Room is now (5800m Long x 4850m Wide x 2.7m Ceiling)
for americans in feet (19 Long X 16 Wide x 9 Height)

These photos are from the display home and are the orginal measurements. I will increase 1 metre to left and top. The big window on the top/north end will be just a standard window. There is no window on the plan on the left side that wall will be fully bricked. And I think I will remove the window on the South side on the left looking into the mini courtyard. Im still concearned about the rear surrounds. I'm almost thinking I could mount the at the back on the left and right walls. hmmm

post #21 of 206 Old 02-18-2016, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

looks great mate , shame about that rear right speaker placement
post #22 of 206 Old 02-18-2016, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
looks great mate , shame about that rear right speaker placement

Maybe I pay the extra 5k and get an extra 1m added to the Living/dining/kitchen room. Then My door can slide along another 1m? There is another design from another company but the theater room is a lot smaller.

I added blue squares and purple squares to the photo to show possible rear speaker placement and done some awesome MS Paint work to move the door way down and extend the room to roughly 5m wide. I think I might have to have the speakers higher so I can slip in a computer desk at he back of the room.

I will dig around and see if I can find that other house design that had the doors at the back of the room in the centre.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear Speaker placement.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1262217  
post #23 of 206 Old 02-18-2016, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Outstanding work on the MS paint mate hahahaahah
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #24 of 206 Old 02-18-2016, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sure you have given it consideration, but if the door slides wont it knock into the speaker ? if you have opening inwards doors will the pj be in the way ? . i had to make sure my door opened outwards .

man i had some sleepless nights trying to work it all out !
post #25 of 206 Old 02-18-2016, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sure you have given it consideration, but if the door slides wont it knock into the speaker ? if you have opening inwards doors will the pj be in the way ? . i had to make sure my door opened outwards .

man i had some sleepless nights trying to work it all out !
The doors are killing me and also the windows. I dont mind this house plan either. It certainly makes things easier.

post #26 of 206 Old 02-18-2016, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

are bed 2 (post 25) and bed 4 (post 1 ) guest rooms ? could get loud with all the Atmos going on
post #27 of 206 Old 02-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Just a thought , but being a new build an all , how big is the loft space ? That would solve the window issue and leave you a spare room ?
post #28 of 206 Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just a thought , but being a new build an all , how big is the loft space ? That would solve the window issue and leave you a spare room ?
Im in Australia bro! We have no lofts/atics or basemenst unfortuantly. Lol

We saw another house its more expensive but does everything we need and we dont have to alter the plan. The rear speakers should be fine now.

post #29 of 206 Old 02-19-2016, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Im in Australia bro! We have no lofts/atics or basemenst unfortuantly. Lol

No lofts you say ! what the hell do you do with your Christmas decorations ?
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #30 of 206 Old 02-19-2016, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

We fill out our garage with junk that gets used once in a blue moon and thus turn a two car garage into a single car garage!
Signs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
australia , floor standing , Home Theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page