Unnamed Basement Theater 2.0 has begun! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 03-14-2016, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Unnamed Basement Theater 2.0 has begun! EDIT: It's DONE!!

After dumping a lot of money and time into a basement theater several years ago, I only got to enjoy it for a few years before I needed to move and sell my home. I was sad to see it go, and I vowed to do it again once I got settled in to a new place.

Well, I managed to salvage a lot of the old equipment before I left and I made sure to find a new home with a (fairly) open basement. I'm happy to say that construction in the basement of my new home is finally beginning today!

Here's a quick and dirty layout.

The stairs behind the theater will rarely be used; they lead to the garage. The other stairs lead up to the main house. THe electronics will be stored on a rack under the stairs with a door (not pictured) for access.
I'm going to attempt to squeeze in three rows of seating. Only the middle and back row are pictured so far (I still have the same chairs from my old theater). I'm leaning towards smaller theater rockers for the front row (recommendations appreciated).
The area between the storage room and the main stairs will be the concession area. I already have a candy counter ready to go.

I'll be upating this thread as I build.

Last edited by vespaguy; 08-06-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-14-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6955 Post(s)
Liked: 8221
Looks like you have a good theater space there !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #3 of 36 Old 03-15-2016, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Framing has begun!

A view of the screen wall from the the back of the theater room:

A view back from the screen wall towards where the seating will be:

The concession area:

The arcade:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 03-29-2016, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The risers are built:

View of the screen wall:

post #5 of 36 Old 04-16-2016, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Blueboard is up and skim coating has begun!

Concession area

View from back corner of theater room
post #6 of 36 Old 04-16-2016, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Working on a color scheme, and this is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.

Carpet pattern:

Wall/fabric/trim colors:

Above are the additional colors. The walls will be a chocolate brown (the Sumatra Blend). The trim will be the cream/tan color beside it, and the sound panel fabric will be the same color as the light blue within the carpet.

I am still completely stumped regarding front row seating. As it stands, I will have two rows of 4 cream colored chairs for the middle and rear row (both on risers). I would love to get cinema rockers for the front row - standard recliners would be just too big - but the only rockers I can find are the ones that come in very limited colors (black, red, or blue). The only other rockers I can find that would allow me to choose a fabric require a 8 seat minimum, or are available through an online retailer with poor reviews. Ugh!!
I'm still thinking of other options, since the front row will most likely be overflow only. Beanbag chairs? Children's recliners? Video game rockers? I'm still searching, but open to suggestions.
My last resort is to go with the black rockers, but I think it's certainly going to look odd with two rows of cream colored chairs behind them.
post #7 of 36 Old 04-25-2016, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Walls are ready for paint and subfloor is installed. Things are moving along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1461596350612.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1403162   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1461596377116.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1403170  
post #8 of 36 Old 04-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Looking good, keep the pics coming!! In the arcade room, will there be any pinball machines? I had a Adams Family one awhile back and I want to get a few over the next few years, once I finish my theater, etc. What are the dimensions of the theater room?

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
BENQ LK970, 180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900/5000, 7.2.4 set up / 8 - MT110SR's / Dual T-18's/HTPC/MadVR
post #9 of 36 Old 04-25-2016, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFred View Post
Looking good, keep the pics coming!! In the arcade room, will there be any pinball machines? I had a Adams Family one awhile back and I want to get a few over the next few years, once I finish my theater, etc. What are the dimensions of the theater room?
The Addams Family pinball machine is a great machine! It must have hurt to get rid of that one.

Unfortunately, I have no pinball machines at the moment. Just a few cabs - Frogger, Centipede, Shuuz, and Bowling. The arcade room is smaller than I initially wanted, but because I needed to put a walkway behind the last row of chairs, I had to shave quite a bit off of the width of the room. The arcade now measures about 14' x 7'-6", which means I have enough room to place machines against the same common long wall - probably 5-6 machines max. I won't be able to get any machines along the opposite wall and still have room between them for players to stand back-to-back. A pin might work running lengthwise against the opposite wall. Time will tell.

The movie room is approximately 21'x13'. That doesn't include the walkway behind the last row of seating or the aisle on the side of the risers.
SteveFred likes this.
post #10 of 36 Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Really loving the more natural colors you've chosen. One thing that scares me are the two steps up to the last riser...YIKES! Maybe it seems steeper in the photo?
post #11 of 36 Old 05-03-2016, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
Really loving the more natural colors you've chosen. One thing that scares me are the two steps up to the last riser...YIKES! Maybe it seems steeper in the photo?
Thanks! I'm hoping the colors come together the way I envisioned them. Time will tell!

I think the riser steepness is an optical illusion - thats a 24" platform, so those risers are 8".
post #12 of 36 Old 05-16-2016, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

These aren't the best photos, but here's a quick progress update.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1463431066737.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1442130   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1463431084886.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1442138  
thrillcat likes this.
post #13 of 36 Old 05-18-2016, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I want to share some quick progress regarding two companies I'm currently dealing with in the event that anyone ever searches these threads for them...

First, I've had a very difficult time finding theater rocker chairs that would match my current recliners. After a lot of running around and dead ends, I contacted Dreamseat, which I found in the master list of seating vendors in one of the pinned threads. So far, they've been fantastic to work with, sending me fabric samples to compare to my current seating. The price is quite a bit higher than other no-frills rockers that I've found (the ones available only in red or black), but considering how easy it's been to order them so far, I can't complain too much.
I recently pulled the trigger on the order, so I will update again when the chairs come in. Fingers crossed.

The other company I'm dealing with is "ValueCarpetOnline". Like the search for the theater rockers, I'd been looking for some blacklight carpet for a small gameroom and kept hitting dead ends. I stumbled upon Value Carpet Online and was able to talk to someone who helped me out. We exchanged a few emails, and he let me know what they had in stock (his in-stock items didn't match the website items at all. It made me a little nervous, but I'd already talked to a few other carpet sellers and ran into the same thing.)
After picking a carpet and getting a price, I placed an order with them over the phone. It's now been two weeks and... nothing. No email. No phone call. Not even a charge to my credit card (which, I guess, is better than the alternative.). I sent an email two days ago seeking a status update. No reply. I sent another tonight. I'm not feeling too confident.

I'll update this thread if/when I get more information.

As for the theater. Painting is done! Electrician is due next week. A/V installation the following week (hopefully)! Carpet... sometime?
post #14 of 36 Old 05-18-2016, 05:01 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked: 5406
post #15 of 36 Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Did you come across Joy Carpets in your search?

http://www.joycarpets.com/collection...rpet/carpet/P0
I did, but at the time they didn't have the carpet I was looking for. It turned out that Value Carpet didn't have it either (although it was on their site), but since I had already begun talking to someone there, I ended up buying from them. Time will tell if that was a smart move or not.
post #16 of 36 Old 05-27-2016, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Electrician should be here next week to finish up and then the A/V fun begins.
Carpet for theater room is ready for installation, but I'm still waiting for the blacklight carpet for the arcade to arrive. Pretty sure I'm getting the run-around.

In the meantime, I've been doing some decorating to keep myself busy. Here's the arcade so far. There will be an arcade cab in the blank area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1464384724570.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1463777  
post #17 of 36 Old 06-03-2016, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Snack bar / lobby is coming together...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1464971374155.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1476097   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1464971405144.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1476105  
post #18 of 36 Old 06-07-2016, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Carpet is down in the lobby. Now if that electrician would just show up one of these days….

post #19 of 36 Old 06-08-2016, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy View Post
Vespa...is that a candy dispenser on the counter? Curious as to make/ model? Room looks awesome!
post #20 of 36 Old 06-08-2016, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy View Post
Vespa...is that a candy dispenser on the counter? Curious as to make/ model? Room looks awesome!
Nope. On the back counter is a drink cooler and a slush machine, and on the front counter is my popcorn machine.
post #21 of 36 Old 06-08-2016, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 79
That counter is great. Did you buy it or custom build?

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
post #22 of 36 Old 06-08-2016, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
That counter is great. Did you buy it or custom build?
I bought it from a local store fixtures place. They even assembled it for me. I think it was around $300. That's a steal compared to what most home-use "candy counters" tend to sell for.
post #23 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a quick grainy photo for now, but here's the carpet progress. Just about done!

post #24 of 36 Old 06-09-2016, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's a better photo taken with my good camera. The carpet is not nearly as "yellow" as it appears in the photos, but even after adjusting the white balance, the photo seems to still show a yellow tint.

post #25 of 36 Old 06-26-2016, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

With the exception of a disappearing electrician, things have been progressing nicely. All of the carpet is done, including the arcade room. The A/V installation has begun, so as of Friday afternoon I had sound and picture (well, for at least 5 minutes. See below) !! I'm shooting for an opening night in two weeks, but that's going to be cutting it close.

Here is where I'm currently at...

- Apparently, the ceiling cans that I wanted are a "special order" item, so the electrician is in no hurry to return until those pieces come in (ETA currently unknown). In the meantime, he's left juuuuuust enough items incomplete to lend some frustration.

- A/V installers came in last week, and as of quitting time on friday, I had a picture and sound! After they left, I popped in a BluRay, and 5 minutes later I heard a wonderful *click* as the projector shut off and a red light blinked on and off. Manual says thats due to overheating, but A) there's no way that should happen on a new projector after 5 minutes and B) even after letting it cool down, it won't turn on. Do I have a lemon? Going to have to see what the A/V guys say when they return tomorrow (hopefully!)

- My arcade carpet arrived!! I was nervous about this because it seemed a bit sketchy. The company I used was Value Carpet Online. Initially there was very little communication after the order was placed - emails went unanswered, etc. When I did contact someone by phone, I felt a bit like I was gettting the runaround. Everything was always "next week", which seemed to keep me on the hook without actually giving me any physical information. When the order was finally due to arrive, the day came and went with nothing arriving. Then, buried among my work emails, was a notice from the delivery company - apparently, the delivery company wasn't given any information other than my name and address (no phone, email), but they needed to contact me prior to delivery. They googled me and somehow found a work address attached to my name and sent me a message there. Bizarre.
Overall, the carpet looks nice (one teeny imperfection, but nothing I'm losing sleep over), but the company is certainly rough around the edges.

- My front row seating arrived!! Well... part of it. For my front row I'm using DreamSeat for rocker-style seating. They've been great to work with and I found a fantastic color to match the seating I already have. What arrived last week were three boxes of all of the upholstered pieces. No legs. no hardware. No instructions. Nothing. Just seat cushions (you can see one in the first photo below), seat backs, and part of the armrest.
I contacted DreamSeats last week to inquire about the rest of the order, expecting them to tell me that it was on the way. Instead, they said that they weren't sure why I only received the cushions and seatbacks. That's not reassuring. They seem like a pretty professional outfit, so I'm hoping they'll clear things up this week.

- Major things that are left:
Sound panels (still on order)
Install seating
Electrical: Rope lighting in theater, serveral outlets and switches, ceiling cans.
A/V: fix projector!?, subwoofer, calibrate system

- Here are current photos:

Theater room:

Concession area:

Sconces:

Arcade Room:

mpjmeyer likes this.
post #26 of 36 Old 06-26-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Very nice overall space! You've got the total entertainment area going on. HT, arcade and snack bar...outstanding!
post #27 of 36 Old 06-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Love the arcade room very 80's like!
post #28 of 36 Old 07-04-2016, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick progress update:

- Finally spoke with the electrician and he now claims that the special order ceiling cans arrived and aren't the ones he ordered. Ugh. Based on his history, I'm not sure I even believe him. I think that my GC is almost as ticked off as I am - this is only the second time he's used him, and it will most-likely be his last.

- Looks like the projector I got was a lemon. My A/V guy is ordering a new one for me - same make and model. Let's hope it isn't a common issue. In the mean time, I just sit and wait…

- I received the legs for my front row seating from Dreamseat. But upon inspection, it looks like they *still* managed to mess things up. I have 5 seats - they sent 5 legs. They'll be sharing legs, but I still need 6 legs, not 5. Oh, and they still didn't send any type of assembly instructions. A quick email later, and they told me they'd send the missing pieces. A box arrived two days later with the missing leg and instructions. Overall, I can't complain too much - they've been very quick to rectify the problems, but if delays with other things hadn't held up my installation I'm sure that I'd find this a lot more frustrating. For now it's reached a comical level - fried projector, MIA electrician, seats without legs… what else can go wrong?

- On a positive note, my acoustic panels should be coming in this week. If the replacement projector arrives this week, I could have the projector and panels installed by next week sometime.

This week, the electrician is scheduled to finish up all of his loose ends except the ceiling cans. After he's done, I'll be able to install the front row seating, move all of the other seating in, move the arcade cabinets into the arcade, and basically be done with lots of the details. By Friday - fingers crossed - I'll only be waiting for ceiling lights, projector, and acoustic panels.
post #29 of 36 Old 07-09-2016, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #30 of 36 Old 07-09-2016, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Beautiful upholstery colors on those seats! I love the idea of doing stadium seats up front with recliners in the back.

Quote:
For now it's reached a comical level - fried projector, MIA electrician, seats without legs… what else can go wrong?
Famous last words....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page