Diggs Cinema Build Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 746Likes

post #961 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viruscwu View Post
Nice work! Everything has come together nicely. I'm glad to hear you like your Fusion Escapes. Mine have been in boxes...in my garage...since July .
Thanks Virus! You are going to love those seats. They are so wide and incredibly comfortable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viruscwu View Post
Question on the LED install. Did your carpet guy leave a space to install them. I had my carpet installed and specifically asked to have a channel left but that didn't happen.
When presented with this scenario (how to mount LED strip lighting on the underside of the riser deck), my carpet installer suggested allowing him to 'tack-and-turn' the carpet on the front face of the riser decking. In lieu of the typical approach which continues the carpet down the front face of the riser, this process discontinues the carpet at the front edge of the riser deck by turning the carpet edge up behind itself of the front face of the riser and stapling it back to the deck. Carpet is still installed up the 'riser' portion of the step but what this does is allow the underside of the deck to remain uncarpeted. You can't see it but there is no carpet on it.

I instructed him to proceed in that direction and then simply hot glued the LED strip lights in place under the decking (directly to the exposed plywood). Worked very well and highly recommended to anyone trying to mount LED lights under a riser lip.

A word of caution: Because the carpet is being fastened directly to the face of the riser, if the pile on your carpet is not THICK (mine is thick) you may see some of the staples used to tack it back. I would be very cautious of using this approach with a shallow pile carpet due to the strong possibility of seeing the staples on the front of your deck. If you're using a thick pile its a great approach IMO!
Viruscwu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Geek View Post
Looks awesome! Great job!!
I really appreciate it Geek, your help has been key!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Dream View Post
Looks good, now give me a picture with the projector on!
Thx! haha will do Death. I was playing some Witcher so I'll get it posted up shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Almost looks too good to bother with the fabric and acoustical treatments.
LOL - since I'm sitting on 1500 linear yards of the fabric I'm going to make those panels happen one way or the other. Thx for the help Jeff - couldn't have gotten this far without you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
Looks great!

EDIT: If it were my room I would have a hard time getting motivated to do the panels with it looking so amazing already!
Thx Aaron! You are correct haha. I hired my trim carpenter to build the frames for me lol. I want to keep it moving to completion as quickly as possible at this point hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
Looking awesome, congratulations! I think the only major difference to the design is the trim being slightly different, but even that is looking great. Very good job, ddigler.

I'm quite anxious to see the room with the panels, but even without them it's looking very sleek. I love it.
I'm anxious for the panels too! Should add some color (hopefully not too bright, but I think it'll be perfect) to the room. Many key design items were your doing and for that I thank you! Also, the renders were invaluable and helped me keep the end in mind while building/hanging back boxes for 15 recessed lights haha
post #963 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
WOW!
Those walls are absolutely stunning! Well done!
ddigler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Looks great send me some good shots when it is completed
ddigler likes this.
post #965 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3xtgen View Post
WOW!
Those walls are absolutely stunning! Well done!
Thx Gen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post
Looks great send me some good shots when it is completed
Sure thing Rich! Loving the screen - need some more hours but love it. Will review within two weeks.
post #966 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Thanks Dontee!

I would love to do just this! I own an REW mic but have never used the software.

Would you be willing to advise me on how to do what you ask? If not no worries; ultimately its on me to do the research. The prob is time does not permit much research ATM...

If someone would suggest a few tests to start with and walk me through them I would be glad to give it shot and post up results!
I am by no means an expert, but I've played around with it enough to help out. I used this guide:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-aud...et-graphs.html

And this may not apply since all of your subs are on the front wall and look to be equidistant from your MLP (I'm not that lucky)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ow-thread.html

I would start with the first link and with some light reading, you would be ready to run some sweeps to show a baseline of your subs.
ddigler likes this.
post #967 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
I am by no means an expert, but I've played around with it enough to help out. I used this guide:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-aud...et-graphs.html

And this may not apply since all of your subs are on the front wall and look to be equidistant from your MLP (I'm not that lucky)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ow-thread.html

I would start with the first link and with some light reading, you would be ready to run some sweeps to show a baseline of your subs.
Thanks Dontee that gives me a place to start! Prob makes sense to wait until treatments are up to start poking around?
post #968 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Thanks Dontee that gives me a place to start! Prob makes sense to wait until treatments are up to start poking around?
Treatments may make a difference, especially with the decays. Just depends on the treatments.
ddigler likes this.
post #969 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Treatments may make a difference, especially with the decays. Just depends on the treatments.
How long does it take to run sweeps/post the info up? I'd like to do it just because - curious to see what it looks like...
post #970 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

I have a htpc, so I just plug in the mic, load rew, and place the mic at the MLP. I use the asio driver and pick the speaker I want (subs are channel 4). I was hesitant like you at first, but there is a steep learning curve.
post #971 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a htpc, so I just plug in the mic, load rew, and place the mic at the MLP. I use the asio driver and pick the speaker I want (subs are channel 4). I was hesitant like you at first, but there is a steep learning curve.
Based on the steep learning curve which will likely require a good bit of time I will prob choose to wait until the theater is done to start messing with it.

Thanks for the info! I def plan to get into it eventually.
post #972 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I bought a REW mic probably 6+ months ago, and have never gotten around to learning it... I loaded the program on my laptop, but just haven't spent the time to figure it out.

I would love to hear people say 'it's a breeze, spend 20 minutes, and you'll be up and running!'.
ddigler likes this.
post #973 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

It really just depends on how tech savvy you are. If you want a sweep of your subwoofer, it's not hard. In fact, it may help you decide what treatments you need for your room. I'm guessing with your riser as a bass trap, you may have a good response out of the gate for the lower frequencies. I remember being intimidated by rew, and now I look back and wonder why. It has tons of bells and whistles, but I primarily use it for simple things.
ddigler likes this.
post #974 of 1353 Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Following the tutorial by AustinJerry is the key. It's not that bad to set up.... one thing that bit me in the butt recently is beta versions.... http://www.roomeqwizard.com/beta.html..... looks like there at 5.17 beta 14.... this is important for following the most recent tutorial by AustinJerry (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Version.pdf)

I am still learning but a nice (recent feature) is being able to sweep Left, Right and Subs all at the same time
Once set up the sweeps take no time at all...... interpreting for me might take a life time LOL
ddigler likes this.

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #975 of 1353 Old 12-07-2016, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I may just wait until treatments are up to start in with REW. As much as I'm excited to get rolling I know its gonna take time to learn (and interpret output per @Waterboy77 comment). Finish the HT/rest of the basement and then onto REW down the road at some point; that's my plan...

I'm concerned knowing how I am (OCD). I think my setup sounds incredible right now! Expecting even more improvement with treatment panels!

....until I start to use REW - I know how it will work. It will become obsession instead of enjoyment for me... I'll start to 'know' more and the more I know may detract from the fun factor as I become aware of nuances present within my setup that are not to be...
post #976 of 1353 Old 12-07-2016, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Minisplit is up and running!!

Took it apart and painted it same color (black) as the room. This thing is incredibly quiet and was a great choice for my HT!

The compressor is mounted inside, in an adjacent, unfinished part of the basement.

Pics coming soon!
post #977 of 1353 Old 12-13-2016, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Diggs Cinema Build Thread

Home Theater progress continues!

Life remains busy but progress is still being made in the HT, albeit slow.

Rack is complete! I think it turned out pretty well! Shelves are adjustable and should provide room for expansion. The bottom of the rack on the component side will have a door put on it later this week. This area houses all of the LED controllers/PS (currently only one for the riser area but eventually another 1 or two for soffit) as well as wires for future components (Crown Transducers). I like having this small 'closet' underneath all of the components as I am not able to access the back of my rack and therefore need an area to house oddball items. All-in-all happy with the rack.

I needed a HDMI switch (matrix) to allow the components within the rack to be used in the HT as well as on the adjacent room LCD TV on the wall. Matrixes are in the 3-4 hundred dollar range. Would have bought a matrix and then down the road upgraded my old reciever. Until all was said and done would have had more money in it that scenario than buying a new AVR out of the gate so thats what I did!

Enter Marantz SR7010!! Its a 9.1 channel Atmos Enabled receiver that will allow me to expand the HT down the road as well as provide all the HDMI switching needs present in the basement! Really liking this thing! I bought it locally for $1,100. Ran Audysey from 8 dif points around the MLP and I'm LOVING the sound in the HT!

(Almost) Complete AV/Wine Rack

New AVR - Marantz SR7010

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waterboy77, OJ Bartley and JDontee like this.

Last edited by ddigler; 12-13-2016 at 10:38 AM.
post #978 of 1353 Old 12-13-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Weirdest looking mini-split I ever seen
ddigler likes this.
post #979 of 1353 Old 12-13-2016, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Weirdest looking mini-split I ever seen

u got me Sigma hehe

Not a great pic but u can (sorta) see the minisplit in the back left corner. It blends in pretty well but I'll get a pic up ASAP anyway.

OJ Bartley likes this.

Last edited by ddigler; 12-13-2016 at 10:43 AM.
post #980 of 1353 Old 12-13-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 455
That rack looks great. I really like the finish on the wood.
Nice game machine next to it... We're building something similar for my wife's arcade game addiction in the near future. Have the "computer" parts already, buttons on the way... and looking for a case with a VGA monitor to put it all in.
ddigler likes this.

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
post #981 of 1353 Old 12-13-2016, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That rack looks great. I really like the finish on the wood.
Nice game machine next to it... We're building something similar for my wife's arcade game addiction in the near future. Have the "computer" parts already, buttons on the way... and looking for a case with a VGA monitor to put it all in.

Thanks Aaron always appreciate the kind words!

She has an arcade addiction? Nice! Being born in the early 80s I remember the likes of Street fighter two iand Mortal Kombat being the coolest thing ever on the boardwalk at the beach! As much as I love the technology improvement regarding how far games have come, there is absolutely no replacing that frantic atmosphere of an arcade at that time when they were so popular. My kids don't get to experience one of the coolest aspects of being a gamer which was the arcade.

I built my arcade when I graduated college, rarely get to play it anymore but the kids really enjoy it. Lots of games on there and I've got like seven or eight emulators. Six or seven years ago I drove to Jersey and bought a true arcade monitor that is able to change frequencies. That really added the final touch to it. Let me know if you need any help on it, should be a fun project for you guys!

post #982 of 1353 Old 12-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't built a MAME cabinet yet, but I purchased this and use it on my HTPC. I also made a couple of laptop controllers in the meantime.

http://www.romcollector.com/hyperspi...rive-p-99.html
ddigler likes this.
post #983 of 1353 Old 12-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

post #984 of 1353 Old 12-13-2016, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Sorry if this has been discussed but where did you get your riser vents at and if you don't mind me asking how much where they.
ddigler likes this.
post #985 of 1353 Old 12-13-2016, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't built a MAME cabinet yet, but I purchased this and use it on my HTPC. I also made a couple of laptop controllers in the meantime.

http://www.romcollector.com/hyperspi...rive-p-99.html

Very nice! I run hyper spin as the front end on mine as well. It's been a while since I've been back in to update it so I'm sure I'm not current anymore ha ha

post #986 of 1353 Old 12-13-2016, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 455
The machine we are building will be running Hyperspin - a friend has everything up and running and we will likely just clone his hard drive...
We also have "laser disc games" that my wife's uncle worked on... I'm not really sure what that means, but we've got 'em
ddigler likes this.

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
post #987 of 1353 Old 12-14-2016, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The machine we are building will be running Hyperspin - a friend has everything up and running and we will likely just clone his hard drive...
We also have "laser disc games" that my wife's uncle worked on... I'm not really sure what that means, but we've got 'em

Very nice!

I remember those laser disk games. They were before my time in the arcades but they were like full motion video cartoons or something like that. Not nearly as easy to get running as the typical ROMs on emulators. Hats off to the guy that got those things to run for you!

It's been a long time like I said before but hyperspin was easily the best front end when I was still really into it.

PTAaron likes this.
post #988 of 1353 Old 12-21-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 385
@ddigler

Have you told us what color fabric you are going with for the upper section?

How's everything going?

Not watching too many movies are ya

Edit: Oh yeah, another question: How tall did you make your wainscoting? And then how tall does that make that on the back wall?
bharv2221 likes this.

Last edited by sigma722; 12-21-2016 at 02:48 PM.
post #989 of 1353 Old 12-22-2016, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Diggs do you by chance have any pictures of how you did your crown molding for the light tray in the ceiling? I can't seem to make up my mind how I want to do that.
texpilot likes this.
post #990 of 1353 Old 12-22-2016, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 316
I'd be curious to know how your mini-split installation is working - any problems with the condenser located indoors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page