Diggs Cinema Build Thread - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 744Likes

post #1201 of 1350 Old 12-11-2018, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
great looking room..you did a wonderful job..so clean looking..

sorry if I missed it. but what are the dimensions of the room??
Chad thanks for checking in and for the kind words! I am very happy with how it turned out, wouldn't change much if I had to do over.

The dimensions:

24' long (this includes area behind screen wall, where the front speakers are located)
22' long (from screen wall to back of room)

13'8" wide up front
15'10" wide at bump out in rear of room

Hope this helps!
chadsmith013 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1350 Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Good morning all! After a long hiatus on the HT I'm back to tweaking a bit!

Currently evaluating a new screen material. Although I really love my Falcon frame and screen, in order to get the most use out of HDR on JVC x990 (which already looks amazing), I am finding that I need increased brightness. Although my Falcon screen was advertised at 1.0 gain, credible reports seem to indicate its actually closer to a .8 gain. Losing 20% brightness out of the gate to your screen material is a killer for HDR which requires 30Fl to look nice on a PJ according to AVS gurus.

As a result, currently evaluating the Severtson Cinema White Micro Perf material. It has a rated gain of 1.3 (although I believe the perfs reduce this number?) I obtained a sample and it is MUCH brighter than my horizon material with the simple mans approach (tape sample against existing screen and evaluate at a distance hehe). I have much more testing to do but I'm hopeful this material may be helpful in achieving higher brightness in my theater for a reasonable expense.

Quoted price I was given seems reasonable as well.

For anyone who cares: Severtson Cinema White Microperf 1.3 gain

Anyone have experience with this material? thoughts in general?

Hope you all are doing well!
post #1203 of 1350 Old 12-11-2018, 09:18 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5494 Post(s)
Liked: 5080
Can you buy just the fabric or do you need to buy a whole package? Just a FYI, Falcon was using Severtson woven fabric.
ddigler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1350 Old 12-11-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Chad thanks for checking in and for the kind words! I am very happy with how it turned out, wouldn't change much if I had to do over.

The dimensions:

24' long (this includes area behind screen wall, where the front speakers are located)
22' long (from screen wall to back of room)

13'8" wide up front
15'10" wide at bump out in rear of room

Hope this helps!
it did and thanks....
ddigler likes this.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual Dayton HO 18's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP
Nearfield: 2 Dayton HO 15's + MBM: 2 PA 460's (VBSS) w/Inuke 6000DSP
post #1205 of 1350 Old 12-11-2018, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Can you buy just the fabric or do you need to buy a whole package? Just a FYI, Falcon was using Severtson woven fabric.
Jeff!! Not gonna lie; made my day to hear from you!! Been awhile; hope you are well!

I can buy just the cinema white micro perf 1.3 gain fabric by itself, no frame. I had it quoted for under 1k for the material, delivered. My screen is 140" diag 2.35 AR for reference.

I am not certain how my current Falcon frame (its the kind with the continuous black plastic splines) will work with the new material. The perf material def lacks the 'stretch' of the falcon woven material. I"m a little concerned about wrinkles with this frame and the perf material but not sure if there is anything to be worried about...

Interesting, Falcon was using the Severtson material? Which material was it?

The problem I'm having is the games being played with 'gain' numbers. I don't see a Severtson screen advertised with under a 1.0 gain and yet its pretty commonly accepted that the Falcon Horizon material that I have is closer to .8-.85 gain... All the games with numbers makes it hard to even know what upgrade is worth it...
post #1206 of 1350 Old 12-19-2018, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Couple items to update:

@Chad B was out to my place in November and did a full video calibration of my JVC x990. I'd like to give a shout out to him as the work was GREAT and well worth it! The improvement was very noticeable and worth the price IMHO. Thanks Chad!

Also, just ordered a Severtson, Cinema White Micro Perf Screen (1.3 stated gain but with perfs figuring more like 1.2). Bought the material only and will be using my existing Falcon frame. I've tested the samples onscreen and the bump in brightness is VERY nice. Based on brightness calcs (these calcs figure 1500 calibrated high lamp lumens and a 25% reduction in bulb brightness at 500 hrs) I'm figuring the following fL for my setup:

120" diag 16:9 aspect - current woven material 22fL
120" diag 16:9 aspect - Severtson micro perf 34fL

140" diag 2.35 aspect - current woven material 15fL
140" diag 2.35 aspect - Severtson micro perf 23fL

35% brightness increase overall which I'm pleased with for the price of the upgrade (screen material only).

The reason I'm doing the screen change is for more brightness to screen for nice(ish) HDR. 22fL and 15fL respectively just didn't provide enough brightness for the material I am viewing (4k HDR BD and 4k HDR video games). I was absolutely pleased with my current material (Falcon Horizon woven material) with SDR content. But then HDR hit the PJ scene and all of a sudden I needed (significantly) more brightness. With my current material, I don't believe I'm levering all of the benefits of my JVC x990 PJ and thus the change to micro perf.

I can tell from the samples that micro perf screens are a completely different game than woven screens. I don't anticipate the material will be as easy to work with as my woven material when installing on frame. I'm also not sure how my speakers may 'move' the screen. I have approx 4-5 inches between screen and speakers/subs and my large subs port to side not front so hoping for the best. Real world results remains to be seen. I'll check back when its done and I have some impressions!
BIGmouthinDC and Little Chris like this.

Last edited by ddigler; 12-19-2018 at 05:31 AM.
post #1207 of 1350 Old 12-21-2018, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Waiting for my micro perf screen to arrive... In the meantime, a user I had asked about the material sent me a PM. In the message he indicated that the material comes with a black backing cloth. He indicated that he did not use it initially but then chose to try it out. He claims the dif was night and day, with much brighter, more vibrant and better contrast when using the backing cloth. He highly recommends using the backing material.

I'll have to mess with this when I receive my screen material. My speakers and stage are completely blacked out but I can see how some light would be lost through the screen perfs. I just wouldn't have assumed that black backing material would reflect enough light back to make that big of a difference?

Regardless, thanks to @harrisu for pointing this out to me!

Anyone else with a perf screen have thoughts on this one?
post #1208 of 1350 Old 01-03-2019, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Happy New Year all!

Still waiting on perf screen to arrive from Severtson. Anxious to give it a try.

@BIGmouthinDC or someone else with experience - do you like perf screens? Ever used one; any thoughts at all? I'm not sure what to expect.

Also concerned because 12" is the min apparently for room between speakers and screen material and I only have 5". Apparently 'comb filtering' and vibrations could be an issue?

Just seems to be a different set of concerns with perf screens, some of which may not be present with woven material. Still, I think it can work...

Also, I've heard that moire is very much eliminated with 4k.
post #1209 of 1350 Old 01-03-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Happy New Year all!

Still waiting on perf screen to arrive from Severtson. Anxious to give it a try.

@BIGmouthinDC or someone else with experience - do you like perf screens? Ever used one; any thoughts at all? I'm not sure what to expect.

Also concerned because 12" is the min apparently for room between speakers and screen material and I only have 5". Apparently 'comb filtering' and vibrations could be an issue?

Just seems to be a different set of concerns with perf screens, some of which may not be present with woven material. Still, I think it can work...

Also, I've heard that moire is very much eliminated with 4k.
Looking forward to what you think about the Severtson perf material. They just shipped me some samples so I can take a look myself.

I'm in the same boat as you - want to get the best HDR I can without an A-lens and a ST 130 screen.

Great looking theater you have there!
ddigler likes this.
post #1210 of 1350 Old 01-03-2019, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike greer View Post
Looking forward to what you think about the Severtson perf material. They just shipped me some samples so I can take a look myself.

I'm in the same boat as you - want to get the best HDR I can without an A-lens and a ST 130 screen.

Great looking theater you have there!
Thanks Mike!

Let me know what you think after putting the Severtson Perf up and comparing to your current screen.

I'll check back once I get the screen and have some impressions.
post #1211 of 1350 Old 01-09-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Still waiting for the screen to arrive...

In the meantime, once the new screen material is in place I will need to EQ everything again. I plan to use Audyseey on my Marantz SR7010 to accomplish this. Beyond that, because this finally may represent my 'final' setup, for the foreseeable future, I'd like to start REW audio readings and calibration.

Anyone who has been there - is there a tutorial or easy way to learn REW software?
post #1212 of 1350 Old 01-09-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 474
They've just released a relatively new video beginner's guide. I've found videos to be much easier to understand than some of the text explanations.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/a-...zard-rew.3723/
ddigler likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #1213 of 1350 Old 01-09-2019, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
They've just released a relatively new video beginner's guide. I've found videos to be much easier to understand than some of the text explanations.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/a-...zard-rew.3723/
Greatly appreciated thanks Thrill! I'll take a look at the vid.

I already own the mic, just need to learn REW.

Last edited by ddigler; 01-09-2019 at 09:49 AM.
post #1214 of 1350 Old 01-10-2019, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Just some quick input from my side..

I own a Marantz SR7011 and also ran an Audyssey calibration across all my seats and I never really liked the sound it produced afterwards. It sounded very dull and without dynamics. That’s when I realized that it had turned my L and R speakers down by -8 dB. This I found very strange as all three LCR speakers are exactly the same getting feed by the same amplifier. It might have been a user error from my side, I don’t know. I guess my point is to be careful to put too much trust into an automatic calibration, but listen which sound you like best and maybe do some checks with REW
ddigler likes this.

My Small Home Theater Build
JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
post #1215 of 1350 Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chris View Post
Just some quick input from my side..

I own a Marantz SR7011 and also ran an Audyssey calibration across all my seats and I never really liked the sound it produced afterwards. It sounded very dull and without dynamics. That’s when I realized that it had turned my L and R speakers down by -8 dB. This I found very strange as all three LCR speakers are exactly the same getting feed by the same amplifier. It might have been a user error from my side, I don’t know. I guess my point is to be careful to put too much trust into an automatic calibration, but listen which sound you like best and maybe do some checks with REW
Will do Little; thanks for taking a second to post!

I'm anxious to start REW - finally ready. Once my screen gets here I'm going to dig out the mic I bought and start work (after Audyssey calibration)

I am looking at Crowson Actuators ATM... No idea if I may actually purchase at this point but I had run wires for them so I'm good in that regard. Anybody have any first hand experience with them?
post #1216 of 1350 Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Diggs Cinema Build Thread

Quote:
Will do Little; thanks for taking a second to post!

I'm anxious to start REW - finally ready. Once my screen gets here I'm going to dig out the mic I bought and start work (after Audyssey calibration)

I am looking at Crowson Actuators ATM... No idea if I may actually purchase at this point but I had run wires for them so I'm good in that regard. Anybody have any first hand experience with them?

First, awesome build!!! Looks great! You might want to check out the Official Crowson thread. They all swear by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1217 of 1350 Old 01-10-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenv View Post
First, awesome build!!! Looks great! You might want to check out the Official Crowson thread. They all swear by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Pure! I took some serious work, so much so that I needed a break once I was done haha

Now though, back in the game!

To your point, I remember everyone raving about Crowson Actuators. Wondering how they compare to Buttkickers. I may mosie over to the Crowson forum. Once I do my piggy bank will take a hit though haha
post #1218 of 1350 Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Beautiful room, congratulations.
ddigler likes this.
post #1219 of 1350 Old 01-10-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch15 View Post
Beautiful room, congratulations.
Thanks Pooch I appreciate the kind words. After I completed it I needed to just enjoy it. No more tweaking, just movies and video games (I did upgrade my PJ to JVC x990 late in '17 but that was easy).

Now though, I'm back in the game. My perf screen should be here tomorrow. I'll install and test this weekend. Once I confirm I'm all good with the screen and picture I'll run Audysey for audio correction and then start tweaking/messing w/ REW a bit.

In addition, I'm throwing around the possibility of Crowson Actuators recently. Still have alot to determine if it can work, but looking into it...
post #1220 of 1350 Old 01-11-2019, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Perf screen is out for delivery! Should receive today, will mount and report back over the weekend with impressions!

I'd like to use the black backing cloth with it but am unsure of best way to mount the cloth...
post #1221 of 1350 Old 01-15-2019, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Severtson Cinema White 1.3 Micro Perf -

I'm LOVING this screen! Mounted Friday night, not a single wrinkle and the performance is EXCELLENT imo!

Initial Impressions:
  1. Clearer, sharper picture
  2. Significantly brighter with very little (I haven't noticed any) hot-spotting
  3. Excellent sound. I re-ran Audysey and I actually think the room sounds better. Maybe this can't be but it just sounds excellent

I have not had nearly enough hours on it with varying source material to develop any formal opinions but I am loving this upgrade so far. FYI - I did use the black backing cloth behind the screen even though my stage is blacked out with paint and (mostly) linacoustic. I did see more contrast result from using the black backing.

Any questions let me know. I need alot more time but huge upgrade for a fairly reasonable price. Brightness improvement is 30-50% if I had to guess.

In no particular order, thanks to: @jedi1982 @beastaudio @harrisu @Mike Garrett @Chad B for advice and helping to make it happen Also, Aaron at Severtson - it took too long for the screen to ship (due to holidays) but he made it right by overnighting it and including the black backing cloth at no extra cost.

I will report back with more impressions as I get more time on the screen!

Last edited by ddigler; 01-15-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #1222 of 1350 Old 01-15-2019, 01:08 PM

At what distance are your seats and can you see the perforations from there?

If you can't, how close to the screen do you have to get before you start to see them?

Thanks in advance.
post #1223 of 1350 Old 01-15-2019, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you can't, how close to the screen do you have to get before you start to see them?

Thanks in advance.
Good questions Pooch - My first row is 11' back and I cannot see the perfs.

How close until I can see them? I'll check it out tonight and let you know!
Pooch15 likes this.
post #1224 of 1350 Old 01-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Glad you're enjoying the screen! It's a great one 🙂 and glad you used the black backing. That is a definite must-use!
ddigler likes this.
post #1225 of 1350 Old 01-16-2019, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post
Glad you're enjoying the screen! It's a great one 🙂 and glad you used the black backing. That is a definite must-use!
Jedi, does the black backing material need to be installed directly on the back of the MP screen? I'm asking because I have probably close to an inch in between back of my screen and front face of backing material. It was easier for me to install backing material on my screen wall framework then to try to install it on back of screen material on the frame itself.

It worked out well but I have 1-1.5" of space in between the blackout material and the screen material. Also wondering what this may do to sound?
post #1226 of 1350 Old 01-16-2019, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

I have mine directly behind the screen with no gap, but would recommend you reach out to Aaron for that question. It appears from your earlier post though that everything already looks and sounds great!
ddigler likes this.
post #1227 of 1350 Old 01-16-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have mine directly behind the screen with no gap, but would recommend you reach out to Aaron for that question. It appears from your earlier post though that everything already looks and sounds great!
Yep your probably correct there. Is Aaron w/ Severtson active on this forum?

I'm thinking regardless of opinions on the matter that having the material directly behind would be the safest bet.

How did you accomplish this Jedi (mounting the black material directly behind?) Aaron had given me some spring clips. Maybe I should try that. Stretching along with the screen material wasn't an option as it was too think to fit both materials in the groove and then still manage to insert the splines...

Last edited by ddigler; 01-16-2019 at 10:25 AM.
post #1228 of 1350 Old 01-16-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Severtson Cinema White 1.3 Micro Perf -

I'm LOVING this screen! Mounted Friday night, not a single wrinkle and the performance is EXCELLENT imo!

Initial Impressions:
  1. Clearer, sharper picture
  2. Significantly brighter with very little (I haven't noticed any) hot-spotting
  3. Excellent sound. I re-ran Audysey and I actually think the room sounds better. Maybe this can't be but it just sounds excellent

I have not had nearly enough hours on it with varying source material to develop any formal opinions but I am loving this upgrade so far. FYI - I did use the black backing cloth behind the screen even though my stage is blacked out with paint and (mostly) linacoustic. I did see more contrast result from using the black backing.

Any questions let me know. I need alot more time but huge upgrade for a fairly reasonable price. Brightness improvement is 30-50% if I had to guess.

In no particular order, thanks to: @jedi1982 @beastaudio @harrisu @Mike Garrett @Chad B for advice and helping to make it happen Also, Aaron at Severtson - it took too long for the screen to ship (due to holidays) but he made it right by overnighting it and including the black backing cloth at no extra cost.

I will report back with more impressions as I get more time on the screen!
great to hear that it worked out . Told ya that you won't be disappointed . Really brings out the pop and with black backing, the contrast enhances a lot more. Awesome. Happy for you.

Quote:
Funny thing. I used the screen for like a year without it and it still looked nice. Eventually it started bothering me that it wasn't as bright. So I finally decided to put the black backing on and Woallaaa. What a big difference it made. Its a must thing to do.

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
In my case, I sit ~10.5 and not a hint of anything. Just pure picture. I have tried even 8' and still don't see anything but one might see some if watch for long period with very bright scenes may be. Standing 8' away for a few minutes, I don't see anything.
ddigler likes this.
post #1229 of 1350 Old 01-16-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
In my case, I sit ~10.5 and not a hint of anything. Just pure picture. I have tried even 8' and still don't see anything but one might see some if watch for long period with very bright scenes may be. Standing 8' away for a few minutes, I don't see anything.
Thanks for the info.

My first row will be at 9' so I'm starting to feel confident this would be a good choice.
ddigler likes this.
post #1230 of 1350 Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post

Funny thing. I used the screen for like a year without it and it still looked nice. Eventually it started bothering me that it wasn't as bright. So I finally decided to put the black backing on and Woallaaa. What a big difference it made. Its a must thing to do.

LOL glad you remembered!
ddigler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page