Diggs Cinema Build Thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 746Likes

post #1321 of 1353 Old 03-14-2019, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Diggs Cinema Build Thread

Mostly out of room in the rack so I will be mounting the amp in this enclosed cabinet below the rest of the components. The amp has auto on so I should not need to mess with it and would rather keep it out of sight.

RSL C34E in ceiling Atmos speakers should arrive tomorrow. Should make a fun weekend project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OJ Bartley and Rjloper9 like this.

Last edited by ddigler; 03-14-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1353 Old 03-14-2019, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #1323 of 1353 Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Going to try a keyhole saw to cut the speaker holes in double drywall ceiling. Not sure how well that is going to work on 1 1/4” tk drywall but it should certainly be less dusty than a router.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1353 Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Going to try a keyhole saw to cut the speaker holes in double drywall ceiling. Not sure how well that is going to work on 1 1/4” tk drywall but it should certainly be less dusty than a router.

I’m still amazed by how much drywall dust goes airborne even from just a hand saw. You’ll find the dust everywhere for weeks to come LOL

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your Atmos upgrade this weekend!
ddigler likes this.
post #1325 of 1353 Old 03-15-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
I’m still amazed by how much drywall dust goes airborne even from just a hand saw. You’ll find the dust everywhere for weeks to come LOL

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your Atmos upgrade this weekend!
So true, its not the nicest stuff to work with thats for sure. Speakers are taking a good bit of time to be delivered. Tracking claims delivery today but details of the shipment are nowhere to be found on FedEx page so I'm not sure what to expect ATM...

Thanks for checking in; I'll be in touch with impressions if my speakers arrive.
post #1326 of 1353 Old 03-15-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 571
I am using the CL-34's for my surround and Atmos speakers and I am very happy with them. Great speaker for the money!
ddigler and texpilot like this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #1327 of 1353 Old 03-16-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #1328 of 1353 Old 03-16-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

As is typical took me twice as long as I thought it might but at this point holes are cut, speaker cable is prepped, Dynaboxes are in place and awaiting speaker delivery Monday.

All in all, Dynaboxes seem to do a nice job for a retrofit installation.

texpilot likes this.
post #1329 of 1353 Old 03-16-2019, 08:37 AM

Almost there for Atmos!!! Remember, DO NOT overtighten those RSL C34E speaker mount posts!

To install:
1. With a Phillips screwdriver in your belt, insert the speaker into the hole, then turn each mounting post screw one full turn. This should rotate the right angle clamping piece into position and support the speaker.

2. While holding the speaker up against the ceiling, tighten each screw 1/2 turn at a time, cycling through all screws. Easiest way to see how close you are to being “tight” is to slowly “let go” of the speaker and observe the gap between the speaker frame and the ceiling.

I’m still peeved at myself each time I see the two spots I over tightened one screw in each speaker ... I’d hate for that to happen to you in your beautiful theater.
ddigler likes this.
post #1330 of 1353 Old 03-16-2019, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Almost there for Atmos!!! Remember, DO NOT overtighten those RSL C34E speaker mount posts!

To install:
1. With a Phillips screwdriver in your belt, insert the speaker into the hole, then turn each mounting post screw one full turn. This should rotate the right angle clamping piece into position and support the speaker.

2. While holding the speaker up against the ceiling, tighten each screw 1/2 turn at a time, cycling through all screws. Easiest way to see how close you are to being “tight” is to slowly “let go” of the speaker and observe the gap between the speaker frame and the ceiling.

I’m still peeved at myself each time I see the two spots I over tightened one screw in each speaker ... I’d hate for that to happen to you in your beautiful theater.

Noted. I’ll take it slow but steady with a screwdriver when installing.

To this point, can you recall how far the brackets overhang the edge of the hole? I’ve got a couple locations where I am within half an inch of either a drywall channel or a joist and might not have as much drywall to attach to as I would like it.

Complete and cleaned up ready for speakers!

post #1331 of 1353 Old 03-16-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Noted. I’ll take it slow but steady with a screwdriver when installing.

To this point, can you recall how far the brackets overhang the edge of the hole? I’ve got a couple locations where I am within half an inch of either a drywall channel or a joist and might not have as much drywall to attach to as I would like it.

Complete and cleaned up ready for speakers!
Excellent! Now that you’ve cleaned up, Murphy dictates that gypsum dust shall sprinkle everywhere as you install the speakers and literally NEVER touch the cut edges of the drywall. ;-/ LOL

I don’t recall exactly how much overhang the mounts have, but looking at this pic on the product page it doesn’t look like “too much” to worry about. My guess is when they swing into place they will be fine even if they hit something that prevents them from “opening up fully.” But that’s just a guess ...

Might want to experiment with one outside the ceiling so you can watch what happens when you turn the screw and the mount arm hits something before swinging out fully.
ddigler likes this.
post #1332 of 1353 Old 03-17-2019, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Excellent! Now that you’ve cleaned up, Murphy dictates that gypsum dust shall sprinkle everywhere as you install the speakers and literally NEVER touch the cut edges of the drywall. ;-/ LOL

I don’t recall exactly how much overhang the mounts have, but looking at this pic on the product page it doesn’t look like “too much” to worry about. My guess is when they swing into place they will be fine even if they hit something that prevents them from “opening up fully.” But that’s just a guess ...

Might want to experiment with one outside the ceiling so you can watch what happens when you turn the screw and the mount arm hits something before swinging out fully.

thx for the insight Tex. Agree, I’ll mess with one prior to putting in ceiling to see how they act.

Really glad you mentioned about not over tightening the screws. I’ll just take my time follow your directions to a T.

Amp is installed, all hook ups are ready, speakers get here tomorrow. I’ll touch back with some completed pictures tomorrow evening!

Regarding orientation of the speakers within the ceiling, some users mentioned the speakers are Aimable? How to orient them and aim them for Atmos? I believe users in the speaker forum suggested aiming them directly at the MLP.

post #1333 of 1353 Old 03-17-2019, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #1334 of 1353 Old 03-17-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Regarding orientation of the speakers within the ceiling, some users mentioned the speakers are Aimable? How to orient them and aim them for Atmos? I believe users in the speaker forum suggested aiming them directly at the MLP.

Yes, aim them at the MLP when you install them. RSL recommends this as does the Denon X8500 manual which I’m pining over (though at this point two more models will be released before I finish my theater), Fronts are aimed in at like a 45° angle-ish, Centers are aimed like 90°, and Rears are again like 45° towards the MLP (all assumes a .6 configuration like you are doing).
ddigler likes this.

Last edited by texpilot; 03-17-2019 at 09:34 AM.
post #1335 of 1353 Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, aim them at the MLP when you install them. RSL recommends this as does the Denon X8500 manual which I’m pining over (though at this point two more models will be released before I finish my theater), Fronts are aimed in at like a 45° angle-ish, Centers are aimed like 90°, and Rears are again like 45° towards the MLP (all assumes a .6 configuration like you are doing).

Actually I’m only installing .4 but the logic still applies I believe. I’ll tow them both in and then set both the front and rear heights to 45° down to the MLP. Thanks!

post #1336 of 1353 Old 03-19-2019, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

C34E's are installed!

All things considered, the speakers are were pretty easy to work with. Popping out the long mounting arms in favor of short arms was a delicate process: need to be very gentle or the circular guide that holds the arms at the top can break.

Took a few hours but all is well and installed. I used puddy pads to seal the bottom of the Dynabox's to the top of drywalled ceiling. Pro Tip: clean off drywall with damp towel prior to using puddy pads as they will NOT bond to drywall dust for obvious reasons.

Additionally, I had to cut out certain areas of the Sound Snake foam along the sides of the box in order to allow the mounting arms to open and ultimately grab the drywall. You can tell if an arm is hitting an obstruction and therefore not able to open because when tightening it with screws it gets tight very quickly. Per @texpilot good advice, do NOT over-tighten. The plastic used is not very heavy duty and it won't take much to break it.

I'll post up some pics tonight!

Next steps:
  1. Paint grills black and install
  2. Run audyseey to incorporate/tweak my new Atmos speakers
  3. Install some triggers (AVR to Audiosource Atmos amp and AVR to iNuke SW amp)
  4. Watch some 4k UHD Atmos BD and report back on impressions!
BIGmouthinDC and texpilot like this.

Last edited by ddigler; 03-19-2019 at 07:54 AM.
post #1337 of 1353 Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I used my DeWalt drill to install my speakers. I set the clutch to the #2 setting and then finished tightening by hand. No way was I going to install 14 speakers (56 fine threaded long screws!) by hand! Full disclosure - I did break one when I forgot to check the clutch (it was on 9) but Joe at RSL sent me some spares ASAP at no charge.

Your theater is looking fantastic!
ddigler likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #1338 of 1353 Old 03-20-2019, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I used my DeWalt drill to install my speakers. I set the clutch to the #2 setting and then finished tightening by hand. No way was I going to install 14 speakers (56 fine threaded long screws!) by hand! Full disclosure - I did break one when I forgot to check the clutch (it was on 9) but Joe at RSL sent me some spares ASAP at no charge.

Your theater is looking fantastic!

LOL - great idea with the DeWalt. I would have done the same but my ceiling is so thick (double 5/8" drywall with a Dynabox) that I didn't have far to tighten. I used the shorter arms and it was no worries. I can see how, with thin ceiling, turning them down with a screwdriver would be brutal...

Thanks for the kind words on the theater! I just (finally) put up LED strips around the molding at edge of soffits last night. I'm pleased. Really adds something although it would look better if I would have matched the soffit and step colors before snapping the pic lol:

Atmos speakers mounted, grilles painted!

Last edited by ddigler; 03-20-2019 at 06:59 AM.
post #1339 of 1353 Old 03-20-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not as thick as your ceiling but not exactly thin either - 1/2" drywall and 5/8" OSB.
ddigler likes this.

Denali Cinema
post #1340 of 1353 Old 03-24-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@texpilot - The C34Es have a very thin fabric that lines the underside of the speaker grilles. Probably a silly question but does this fabric remain intact or should it be removed? My gut tells me it is to remain but I didn’t know once it starts getting painted how that affects the acoustically transparent properties of the fabric? Also, the white fabric makes it difficult to get a consistent look to the grill if painting it a dark color.

I can work with it either way just trying to determine if the fabric should remain or be pulled ?

Thoughts?

Edit: did some research. See no reason that the cloth must remain on the speaker grill and I’m concerned that painting it will negatively impact acoustically transparent properties. Removed the cloth and all is well!

Last edited by ddigler; 03-24-2019 at 06:59 AM.
post #1341 of 1353 Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
C34E's are installed!

All things considered, the speakers are were pretty easy to work with. Popping out the long mounting arms in favor of short arms was a delicate process: need to be very gentle or the circular guide that holds the arms at the top can break.

Took a few hours but all is well and installed.
Quote:
C34E's are installed!

You can tell if an arm is hitting an obstruction and therefore not able to open because when tightening it with screws it gets tight very quickly. Per @texpilot good advice, do NOT over-tighten. The plastic used is not very heavy duty and it won't take much to break it.
Quote:
Edit: did some research. See no reason that the cloth must remain on the speaker grill and I’m concerned that painting it will negatively impact acoustically transparent properties. Removed the cloth and all is well!
Thanks, my ceiling isn't ready but I have four C34e speakers ready to go. I really appreciate the tips and am eager to hear your impressions!
ddigler likes this.
post #1342 of 1353 Old 03-24-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
@texpilot - The C34Es have a very thin fabric that lines the underside of the speaker grilles. Probably a silly question but does this fabric remain intact or should it be removed? My gut tells me it is to remain but I didn’t know once it starts getting painted how that affects the acoustically transparent properties of the fabric? Also, the white fabric makes it difficult to get a consistent look to the grill if painting it a dark color.

I can work with it either way just trying to determine if the fabric should remain or be pulled ?

Thoughts?

Sorry Diggs, just saw this. I installed mine 6+ months ago, didn’t paint them, and don’t even remember a cloth being on the grills. Sounds like you took them out to paint them, which I definitely would have done as well.

My guess is the cloth acts as a pad against the plastic to ensure the magnetically-attached grill does not rattle. I would put it back in after you’ve painted before reinstalling the grill.
ddigler likes this.
post #1343 of 1353 Old 03-25-2019, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry Diggs, just saw this. I installed mine 6+ months ago, didn’t paint them, and don’t even remember a cloth being on the grills. Sounds like you took them out to paint them, which I definitely would have done as well.

My guess is the cloth acts as a pad against the plastic to ensure the magnetically-attached grill does not rattle. I would put it back in after you’ve painted before reinstalling the grill.
I did some research on other forums that indicates the cloth is not necessary. I still have it and as you pointed out plan to put it back on only in the case that the grilles start rattling. We shall see!

first impressions of the C34E is that they sound very, very nice. They are Atmos effects speakers for my particular setup which makes them a bit more difficult to demo than my mains. At the same point, they do seem to blend well and sound very good!

I am currently crossing them at 100 hz. Its going to take more time before I can establish a definitive opinion on the matter but I cannot see any reason I am not going to be happy with these speakers.
post #1344 of 1353 Old 04-05-2019, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The C34E's are a winner!

After watching several Atmos mastered movies I declare the JSL C34E in ceiling Atmos speakers a winner! Atmos truly adds a different dimension to my HT experience. Well worth the upgrade cost and sweat equity involved.

Thanks to all who recommended the upgrade, suggested speakers and advised on construction processes. Its appreciated!

Crowson Level 3 Motion System:
Four Shadow-8 Actuators with a D-501 Amplifier ORDERED!!

Delivery date is set for Wed 4/10/19; very excited! I am planning on installing the actuators under the front row seats only. As discussed before this will add a tactile sensation to this row in particular as these seats rest on carpet over concrete floor.

More to come!
texpilot, brazensol and pkinneb like this.
post #1345 of 1353 Old 04-05-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 376
So cool to see your theater moving again, and getting some SOLID updates. Your theater is still one of my favorites visually, and the inspiration for a few of my design choices. Hopefully someday my theater is done and then I will share it with the world, haha.
ddigler likes this.
post #1346 of 1353 Old 04-05-2019, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
So cool to see your theater moving again, and getting some SOLID updates. Your theater is still one of my favorites visually, and the inspiration for a few of my design choices. Hopefully someday my theater is done and then I will share it with the world, haha.
Thanks Sig; its appreciated!

Do you have a build thread for your current theater? I'd like to take a look and see how things are going.
post #1347 of 1353 Old 04-05-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Thanks Sig; its appreciated!

Do you have a build thread for your current theater? I'd like to take a look and see how things are going.
No build thread yet. Haven't fully decided if I'll commit to one. Plus... I'm going to start working on the theater after literally taking an entire year off. I don't need the kind of abuse that would cause in my thread . I'll probably have a theater thread someday, just might skip the "getting there", haha.

Here's some pics. 2 of them are current state. And the other shows kind of current state for the front, except it was before the door/wainscoting.

https://imgur.com/a/bbHWKJU
NotShorty and ddigler like this.
post #1348 of 1353 Old 04-08-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
No build thread yet. Haven't fully decided if I'll commit to one. Plus... I'm going to start working on the theater after literally taking an entire year off. I don't need the kind of abuse that would cause in my thread . I'll probably have a theater thread someday, just might skip the "getting there", haha.

Here's some pics. 2 of them are current state. And the other shows kind of current state for the front, except it was before the door/wainscoting.

https://imgur.com/a/bbHWKJU
Looks like you are doing it right Sig! Really like how you framed out the man door. That adds a seamless look to the room.

You will love it! Getting through the build, although fun, is a TON of work haha

Like the stage as well. Keep it up!
post #1349 of 1353 Old 04-24-2019, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Update on recent upgrades

Atmos:
Very nice - immersive experience in movies mastered in Dolby Atmos. A worthwhile upgrade and one I'm glad I invested in. When properly implemented it is a significant upgrade from 5.1 or 7.1 systems IMHO.

Crowson MA's Super fun technology here. The key is to balancing them correctly as they can overwhelm or feel poorly integrated with the subwoofers if not crossed over, timed and leveled correctly. But the closer I dial it in the more I love the motion actuators. Highly recommended to anyone desiring more TR in their HT.

I just bought a MiniDSP 2x4HD and am going to use that to fine tune, EQ both subs and Crowsons. At that point I plan to enter the interesting world of BEQ!!

Last edited by ddigler; 05-02-2019 at 07:05 AM.
post #1350 of 1353 Old 05-06-2019, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Update on recent upgrades:

BEQ:
This is a HUGE improvement over my previous setup. BEQ is just excellent. And its implemented w/o feeling like you are 'pushing it too far' or sounding boomy IMO. Just a nice, realistic feeling hitting of the bass in movies. An awesome project and well worth looking into for anyone who desires a more well
rounded EQ in their HT. If you are interested check it out here!

I need to mention @aron7awol - thank you so much for helping me out with integrating MiniDSP HD and for practical instruction on how to integrate subs, etc. My HT is really starting to sound amazing and you were the most recent to help me get there so thanks!!
texpilot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page