Ok, since I have now officially begun work on it (stripping the popcorn texture off the ceiling is my inaugural task), I suppose it’s time to start the obligatory “please help me figure everything out” build thread. I’ve been doing planning for a couple months and think I’ve got most of the stuff worked out, but still have a few sticking points I’m not 100% on. First up, the room. I’ll call it the nearly perfect room:
- 24ft x 14ft, 8ft ceiling. No wall or ceiling beams to deal with.
The not so perfect part comes in that it’s a barn shaped bonus room with only a 4ft knee wall before the sloped ceiling goes to the 6ft 3in wide flat section. In the end, still not bad but it limits the width of furniture and screen. It’s a second floor room, but the attic space above is too small to crawl in, and will be very tough to fish anything through, so outside of running a power outlet and a conduit for the projector cables, not much happening up there.
- Comfy seating for 4
- Overflow for 8 to 10 (occasionally more, but those will be few and far between)
- Largest screen feasible
- Dolby Atmos capable
- Star ceiling (DIY from NightSky is the plan)
First, gotta give props where due and admit I’m a damn lucky husband. WAF is not an issue. My wife is the type that when I was standing looking at a 50” plasma to replace our first 42” years ago, she nudged me and pointed to the 65” next to it with a big grin. When we were planning this first dedicated HT build, she was trying to figure out if we could afford raising the roof 3 or 4 feet to get around the low knee wall issue and let us have a bigger screen. Could a guy ask for anything more? Ok, back to the rules:
- The window must stay. There are several reasons for this, so we both agree on that one.
- Mostly superficial construction. We’ll probably be here for a few more years yet, but the plan will ultimately be moving, so I’m trying to make it easy to turn back into a bonus room to sell the house (less hassle than trying to find someone looking for a pre-built theater). The soffit will likely be the biggest exception to this rule, but even that can come out relatively easily. On that note. Soffit will be where the slopes meet the center ceiling. 5” or 6” down and 15” wide. Will house 3 or 4 can lights on each side plus 2 Atmos speakers on each side.
- Trying to keep budget to around 15k, and since we’re going all new equipment, 9k or so of that will be lost there. I’ve actually got most everything priced out, should be able to stick pretty close to it. I know around here that’s a contradiction in terms, but I’m trying. After furniture, I’m estimating about 2k for paint, materials, and carpet. Though if I find used theater seats, I’ll likely recoup another grand or so.
The Equipment: (at least current plan)
- Projector – JVC RS400u
- Screen – EliteScreens Spectrum2 series 100” (this is the largest drop screen I can fit thanks to the barn shape, and need drop down because of the window)
- AVR – Denon x6200w
- BD Player – Oppo BD-103 (unless their 4k unit hits early, but most likely this)
- Atmos Amps – Audiosource Amp100vs X2 (I could get away with 1, but figure I’ll do all 4 Atmos speakers amped off of the AVR)
- L/R/C speakers – Ascend Acoustics CMT-340
- Sub – Ascend LV12R
- Surround and Atmos speakers – Micca in ceiling and in wall units (I know, but helps budget and I can upgrade later if desired. Plus I’ve never felt the need for super high end effects speakers)
- Cables – TBD. I have about 250 feet of 14 gauge CL2 rated speaker cable and banana plugs but I’ll still need the HDMI interconnects and will run a cat6 to the projector. Cable run to projector will be 25’ if I’m lucky, but might have to stretch to 30.
- Optional (hopeful) – Amp and Bass shakers x8 to cover the 4 main and 4 theater seats
- Optional – 3D stuff (since the JVC is reputed to work well even with some of the cheaper stuff, might give it a try)
- Front row seats – Fusion Jive 1013s in Brown from Roman. They’re about the only ones I can find narrow enough to give me 4 seats and still have room to walk around with the sloped ceiling. 4 seat curved with loveseat in the middle. (Little wider than 4 straight, but not enough to make a difference) The brown part may be the only WAF thing to factor in to this. She hates black leather furniture. But with the color theme, it should work. We’re going to try and coordinate the carpet to the seats.
- Second row seats – Good quality theater seats. Hoping to find some used for a good deal, but barring that will go with ordering some new ones. Will be on 8” 6x9 riser with a bar back inspired by Snickers’ Merrimont Trace thread as suggested to me by Jeff.
The back wall opposite the equipment rack will house a popcorn machine and mini fridge concession area. Nothing too fancy.
I’m attaching some pics, sketches, and a couple renders that Silva741 did for me. As you can see, the window is pretty huge on the wall, which is part of the reason it’s staying too. We’re going with a black and dark, dark red theme. Screen wall will be covered in dark, dark red curtain; the window being the biggest reason, figure it’ll also help keep some sound reflection down. Knee wall and back wall will be the same shade of red, sloped and center ceiling sections will be black. I’m toying with covering the sloped parts in Royalty 3 velvet, still debating that piece.