The Litter Box - a theater remodel - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #61 of 76 Old 01-24-2019, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 376
New screen - Screen Acoustics by AVScience (Dreamscreen v6 material)

Since my last post, I have actually made good strides. The delay in the new JVC's shipping helping enormously!

First up, with the shift to native 4k I decided to look at screen material again, and ordered large samples of the v6 material and SSE Neo that I compared with my Falcon, Seymour XD and UF and Svertson SAT-4K. I ultimately decided upon the v6 as it gave great contrast, excellent pixel deliniation and integrated the black backing. The sample, and ultimately the final screen, appeared much nicer than the small sample I'd previously evaluated with @Pultzar a couple of years ago (thread in the DIY Screen subforum). He was over this week and made the same comment. From my post on 11/12/18 in the v6 thread:

My v6 screen arrived almost two weeks ago, and I finally got it built and hung this weekend. I purchased the material via Mike Garrett, and decided against retrofitting to my Carada frame given the current phenomenal pricing of the AVS frame. My Carada was 118" wide 2.37:1 and the AVS is 120" wide 2.37:1. I may have bought the Dream Screen frame for future motorized masking, but the only options were 112" and then 138", which wouldn't fit my room and I didn't want to go smaller than I was used to.

The frame arrived wrapped in plastic in one tube, with the material rolled around a dowel in another smaller tube:

The included tool for tucking the material into the grip rails. They forgot the Digornio

The completed screen:

My previous screen (Falcon Vision) would light up the back of the screen and the black Knauf insulation behind. I couldn't find the photo I'd previously taken of that, but a direct shot of how the projector lights it up is very representative and shows how reflective that black material is:

There was no point including the photo I took from behind the v6, as there was no leakage at all! The apparent contrast and sharpness are both significantly increased, somewhat from the lack of leakage reflecting back through the screen presumably. Obligatory screen shot (from Rogue One) taken with my aging Samsung Galaxy S7 phone (which actually demos the lack of light leakage. With the Falcon the proscenium is more lit up with no framing above the screen currently. With the v6 there is just a little from the scatter from the screen)

I took some REW 20-20k sweep measurements with the Carada and then v6 screens up (CSL calibrated umik at the seating position), though haven't analyzed them yet. Given the location of the drivers, below 300Hz will need to be discarded from the comparisons. I'll plan to get those up soon.

So far though, I'm extremely impressed. The final result is so much better than even the 2'x2' sample suggests.
texpilot likes this.

Last edited by dlinsley; 01-24-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finishing the under soffit covers

The first six under soffit covers were simple frames, but the last two required mounting the brackets for the HVAC Quick linear bar registers:

The registers were purchased in their bare form, as I needed to spray them anyway. These I hit with multiple coats of Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X Ultra Cover Paint + Primer flat black spray paint:

Frames wrapped in FR701 GoM and installed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_221603.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	2515782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190121_192318.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	2515784   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181129_134344.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	2515786  
post #63 of 76 Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Building acoustic panels and solving the egress window

I've read so many threads and posts in build threads about building frames. I'd originally planned on large panels, about 4'x8', but decided against that to go with standard 2'x4' (approx). In all I'd need to build about 41 panels, and as I left for Home Depot to get the first set of supplies did intend to use the 5/4 FJP as recommended - and what I had built the minimal screen wall from. However, after waiting for a while to try and get the 12' boards cut down - our Odyssey will only take a 10' length - I wandered the aisles and found these:

For the size of frames I'm building the price per foot is similar (actually about 10c cheaper as I get three 2" sticks from the 7.25" wide board), and I don't need to either forever wait to get it cut, be told there is no one available, or that the saw is broken and so leave empty handed. After building eight acoustic panels and nine panels for my screen wall, these boards are really nice. You can find straight ones without much effort, they are perfectly smooth and cut like butter in the Ridgid table saw.

The soffit cover frames I built using the Kreg R3 pocket hole system. This works fine, but for building a lot of frames I thought the R4 would be much quicker and it is. It also provided something for my wife and kids to give me for my past birthday! It is super quick to drill, rotate, drill, onto the next stick.

Here's a frame ready for wrapping in Joann Royalty 3 velvet for the wall by the screen. Like the soffit covers, 1/8" was removed on each width and length measurement to account for the ~ 1/16" thick material on each side, and I routed 3 sides with a 1/8" roundover. The inside edge on the bottom, where no material would be pulled over, didn't need routing, but I did forget a few times to line up all those edges and so had to undo and rescrew a few times!

This room has an egress window so that it can be classified as a bedroom, and temporarily (18 months) I'd built a simple insert frame and screwed the 2" insulation boards to it. With the original plan to build 4x8 panels I was going to just build a panel that covered them and in case of emergency just pull both out.

After switching to 2x4 panels I decided to just make the window panels a little longer so that they would cover the window frame. The extra length being hidden behind the screen wall. This shows the cut outs required so that I could leave the trim intact:

Frame with cut outs

The frames are Velcroed to the wall (with the Velcro on the wall and frames stapled for strength), and the bottom frame rests on the original baseboard. To easily pull the panels covering the windows I stapled a piece of velvet to the top of the second from bottom panel:

This shows the completed screen wall and the first eight panels, covering the window and opposite wall around the screen:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181212_083009.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	2515788   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181220_084203.jpg
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	2515792   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181220_084148.jpg
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	2515794   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161024_094526 (25%).jpg
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	2515796   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181221_111859 (25%).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	2515798  

Name:	20181220_171308 (25%).jpg
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	2515800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190121_133004.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	2515802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190113_105259.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	2515874  

Last edited by dlinsley; 01-25-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 76 Old 01-24-2019, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Completing the screen wall

Completing the screen wall was just a case of building panels, but slightly complicated by the need to box out under the screen due to my existing subs. Additionally I went back and forth on whether to use velvet under the screen or GoM. Ultimately we decided on the GoM (same FR701 as for the soffits) as it is fully AT. My wife, the smart lady that she is - and after all she's the one who thinks we should black velvet the entire room - suggested using the GoM will just make it look like one massive speaker enclosure. The vertical section is made from 3 panels, 36" / 67" / 36" wide so as not to sit directly in front of any drivers. On top sits two JR3 wrapped panels. With these in place, the unfinished cabinets of the Titans don't show through the GoM. There must be very little light entering from the front.

texpilot and argentum246 like this.

Last edited by dlinsley; 01-24-2019 at 11:13 PM.
post #65 of 76 Old 01-25-2019, 04:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5497 Post(s)
Liked: 5081
Great problem solving and execution. Looks good, enjoy.
dlinsley likes this.
post #66 of 76 Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Looks absolutely spectacular. Thanks for the inspiration.
post #67 of 76 Old 01-25-2019, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Great problem solving and execution. Looks good, enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
Looks absolutely spectacular. Thanks for the inspiration.
Thanks! Though still another 33 panels, 4 speaker columns and baseboards all around to go. That last shot makes it look like it's just the baseboards
post #68 of 76 Old 02-04-2019, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looks great! Quite the transformation from the theater before!

Quick question - Are you doing any acoustic treatment under the panels?

Darren
post #69 of 76 Old 02-04-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optoguy View Post
Quick question - Are you doing any acoustic treatment under the panels?
Hi Darren,

Yes, I am. I haven't asked permission from Shawn to upload my acoustic plan diagrams and so that is why they are not posted. There will be 2" of insulation all around, lower regions bare, mid to upper regions foil faced to only trap bass and some with foil grating to act as diffusion.

The plan calls for GoM, but my wife doesn't like how cheap it looks next to the JR3 velvet! I've some concern with doing the whole room in velvet though, hoping the sound field doesn't collapse. Even with just the front wall and beside the screen treated so far, it sounds excellent though in the rear (stand in between the two side speakers) there is a lot of reverberation with the two parallel side walls.

Before I cover panels back there, maybe I should place the insulation against the walls (appropriately faced per the plan) and just pin the sheets of velvet in front of them to get a close approximation of the final result.
post #70 of 76 Old 02-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Hi Darren,

Yes, I am. I haven't asked permission from Shawn to upload my acoustic plan diagrams and so that is why they are not posted. There will be 2" of insulation all around, lower regions bare, mid to upper regions foil faced to only trap bass and some with foil grating to act as diffusion.

The plan calls for GoM, but my wife doesn't like how cheap it looks next to the JR3 velvet! I've some concern with doing the whole room in velvet though, hoping the sound field doesn't collapse. Even with just the front wall and beside the screen treated so far, it sounds excellent though in the rear (stand in between the two side speakers) there is a lot of reverberation with the two parallel side walls.

Before I cover panels back there, maybe I should place the insulation against the walls (appropriately faced per the plan) and just pin the sheets of velvet in front of them to get a close approximation of the final result.
Nice! I moved into my house a month after the plans were offered from Shawn, and unfortunately by the time I was able to do it, they aren't available anymore. As you have a similar size room to mine, I will be excited to hear your opinion on how it sounds after in a similar room (different speakers and ears of course!). I will still be looking to have Shawn (or Nyal from Acoustic Frontiers) do a plan in the future, so it will be nice to know what kind of an improvement I might expect.

As for the velvet, good question on how much it might affect the sound. Maybe taking too much highs away using velvet? I think it would be a great experiment to pin velvet in front of the insulation to see the effects! Especially before you spend all that time making panels for the room. Looking forward to the results of the experiment either way.

Darren
post #71 of 76 Old 02-09-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked: 3208
NICE, NICE room and a great "do over".

That "going black" thing is quite addictive. If a little is good, more must be better (and it is).

Congrats on a job very well done!!
dlinsley likes this.
post #72 of 76 Old 04-11-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Fake "Magnepans"

About two months ago I built frames to hide the rear and side surround speakers. These "columns" are the same depth as the other panels so that my side aisle doesnt lose any extra depth - when my sister visits during the summer, she and my brother-in-law often prefer sleeping in the much cooler basement than the (still ait conditioned) guest room. During the night they had hit their heads on the Meridian M33 side speakers before this remodel.

Following someone else's idea, I cut 3 strips the inner width of the frame (may 1/32" wider) as cleats and screwed them to studs where the frames were being mounted. These pressure fit the frames without any other attachments or the (not yet built) panels around them. The frames are covered in GoM FR701 Black, for 100% AT. My wife says they look like large speakers - fake "Magnepans"

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190203_125141.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	2551970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190218_125025.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	2551972  
post #73 of 76 Old 04-11-2019, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rear wall (just about) complete

My rear wall is now complete bar one panel. This last panel I'll add when the panels to the left of the left of the left side surround are in place. I really like the pinstriping effect from the speaker frames.

Covering all that white drywall has made a *massive* difference to how dark the room remains even with the screen lit up. The matte blue walls remaining now appear much more reflective than ever before. Only 21 panels to go, 29 down! And 4 or 5 baseboards...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190403_091709.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	2551980  
post #74 of 76 Old 04-11-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A delay in construction during the past two months

After completing and mounting the speaker frames, but before finishing the back wall panels, I was involved in a (not my fault) car accident. No injuries thankfully, but my two year old Chevy Bolt was declared a total loss. I was hit in the right rear, with the frame being bent and the right rear geometry pushed forward by about an inch. With all the EV components and majority of the car fine the salvage value was just too high to make repairs economic.

The total loss inspection and declaration came the same day as Tesla announced the $35k Model 3 was finally available to order, and with the same day price cuts on the other models I priced out an SR+ model with ~ same range as the Bolt Premium trim. The Tesla came in cheaper and much more highly spec'ed, and a tad more range. I loved the Bolt, but at the same price (after the tax credit) they are just not competitive. Of course I didn't end up buying a similarly priced model. I wanted the AWD, and the local test drive car for AWD was actually the Performance model! I was sold, but did buy "just" the AWD. With the 19" wheels, 4.2s 0-60 is still stupidly (but not ludicrously) quick and the fastest car by far that I've ever owned. Even just chill driving puts a huge smile on my face.

After taking a fair break from construction, and reading this forum, while I researched the heck out of the car, hopefully I can get finished sooner than later!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190329_095844.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	613.3 KB
ID:	2551982  
post #75 of 76 Old 05-02-2019, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The velvet looks great in the photos. It seems very black, head-on. However, do you see any off-angle sheen to it from the screen?

I haven't checked out the Joann's velvets yet, but I got a sample of the Sy fabric plush triple velvet, which many here seem to like, yet it has a good bit of sheen to it when the light source is not straight in front of it...like on a side wall in front of an illuminated screen.

However, I also got a piece of Fidelio velvet, and that is amazingly black from all angles. It's truly an impressive piece of material, but it's also $40/yd, so I don't know if I can justify that price. Also, it looks like you got the royalty 3, did you consider their premier velvet?

**Nice car, btw**
post #76 of 76 Old 05-03-2019, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxt View Post
The velvet looks great in the photos. It seems very black, head-on. However, do you see any off-angle sheen to it from the screen?
Yes, it's all Royalty 3 (and GoM FR701 to cover the speakers). With the lights and at an angle, you can see a little sheen on the panels to the side of the scrren - and if you get right up close the foil on the insulation boards behind the velvet. However, with the lights off they are a black hole. I'll see if I can get better photos.

I didn't consider any other velvet. My local Joann stores had enough fabric (well, I've got 16 more panels to go so we'll see if I bought enough!) and the coupon brought it down to $10/yd. I liked being able to see it in store, and Joann apparently has a real easy and liberal return policy too (but I don't think I'll need it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxt View Post
**Nice car, btw**
Thanks! Normal service has been resumed with trying to finish the room. All the rears panels are now in place, and just the 16 total in the left and right gap between the screen panels and side speakers to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page