Rob Hahn Theater build - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 638Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 440 Old 11-04-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JustMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Double check the earthquake policy before you fire it up.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
JustMike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 440 Old 11-07-2016, 11:40 AM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hahn View Post
Well, I'm still discovering movies I haven't seen so my list would be incomplete. I've put off watching _any_ films for a few years in anticipation of finishing my home theater, so I have a lot of catching up to do. That said, I find if I put on "Gravity" & "War of the Worlds" they pretty much show off beautifully what the UberSubs can do. "The Revenant" is also great for showing off ATMOS (like "Gravity") and has great midbass impact, something the JBL M2s excel at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hahn View Post
Hi Mike,

I have many movies I've purchased but haven't opened yet and inserted in the vault - "Interstellar" is one of them. I do know about that sequence and can't wait to run it through the Ubers!

-Rob

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...-rob-hahn.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-com...n-theater.html
Thx Rob. 1) 'War of the Worlds' is a great choice for 'subwoofing' impact. There are some good 'jolts' in that flick.
All the other movie titles enumerated above are nice too.
2) 'Interstellar' is stellar in music impact and into the wormhole, transfer into another dimension...
3) 'Gravity' too has some poignant music score and impacting moments.
4) 'The Revenant' has natural impact with the horses, the bear, the winds, the fires, the river, the water, the sounds echoing from the nearby mountains...shotguns.

I like them all, great flicks. Good choice, good grouping, good impact, subs, surrounds; physically and psychologically.
You have the perfect home theater to honor them with full justice; it's nice to be alive and 'exorcise' life to full tilt. Be well, experience your movies with verve.
NorthSky is offline  
post #303 of 440 Old 11-07-2016, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JustMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Oh, mention of The Revenant reminds me of another. The Kevin Costner western called Open Range has a pretty spectacular gunfight sequence. It's not subwoofer-centric, but it has pretty spectacular transients from the gunshots that are likely to be spectacular on a system like yours.

Steinway Lyngdorf used it as demo material at CEDIA one year and I bought the movie on the strength of that demo. Haven't gotten around to watching the whole movie, but I sure bookmarked that scene...

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
JustMike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #304 of 440 Old 11-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
starcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsong View Post
I am speechless. That is not a home theater. That is a theater.
No, not a theater, a Reference Theater! I thought sandman's theater was impressive.. this one is, just... not from this planet! I bet there are not many expensive theaters build with so much technical know-how and perfectionism.

Rob, thanks for taking the time to share your build. I haven't seen such an impressive job shared with this level of detail! Congrats and enjoy it for a long time!

Wanted: M&K Sound S-150P, INWALL S-150
Stereo Integrity HT18 D4 subwoofer drivers

Last edited by starcat; 11-08-2016 at 04:03 PM.
starcat is offline  
post #305 of 440 Old 11-09-2016, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Rob Hahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
Oh, mention of The Revenant reminds me of another. The Kevin Costner western called Open Range has a pretty spectacular gunfight sequence. It's not subwoofer-centric, but it has pretty spectacular transients from the gunshots that are likely to be spectacular on a system like yours.

Steinway Lyngdorf used it as demo material at CEDIA one year and I bought the movie on the strength of that demo. Haven't gotten around to watching the whole movie, but I sure bookmarked that scene...
Mike, I've seen this film mentioned before as a great sound demo. I can't find it in Blu-ray though. Does it exist in HD?

-Rob

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-com...l#post48070857

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...-rob-hahn.html
Rob Hahn is offline  
post #306 of 440 Old 11-09-2016, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JustMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hahn View Post
Mike, I've seen this film mentioned before as a great sound demo. I can't find it in Blu-ray though. Does it exist in HD?
I imported the Swedish Blu-ray disc, which was listed as region B but is actually region free with English audio.

It has a DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
JustMike is offline  
post #307 of 440 Old 11-09-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 3,658
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 214
It's out on UHD. It's a good movie.
audiovideoholic is offline  
post #308 of 440 Old 11-09-2016, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,415
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
Liked: 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hahn View Post
Mike, I've seen this film mentioned before as a great sound demo. I can't find it in Blu-ray though. Does it exist in HD?
If you like a good sounding gunfight scene, try The Book of Eli. It brings the house down.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #309 of 440 Old 11-10-2016, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JustMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
It's out on UHD. It's a good movie.
Where?

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
JustMike is offline  
post #310 of 440 Old 11-10-2016, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JustMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
If you like a good sounding gunfight scene, try The Book of Eli. It brings the house down.
Yup, that one's good too!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
JustMike is offline  
post #311 of 440 Old 11-10-2016, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
dla26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
Yup, that one's good too!
I'll kind of kill this line of discussion by pointing out that this thread exists: New Master List of Bass in Movies with Frequency Charts.

There are also some threads for demo discs of scenes with good bass that you can download and burn. (Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in downloading and burning some of them for me, please send me a PM!)
VideoGrabber and Iggy SLO like this.
dla26 is offline  
post #312 of 440 Old 11-10-2016, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,384
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
If you like a good sounding gunfight scene, try The Book of Eli. It brings the house down.
Agreed - the chain gun scene is one of my main reference clips to check I have the chest punch dialled in correctly on the EQ, and also the RPG explosion to check I have the top frequencies rolled off correctly - its a great scene.
Wookii is online now  
post #313 of 440 Old 11-10-2016, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JustMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
I'll kind of kill this line of discussion by pointing out that this thread exists: New Master List of Bass in Movies with Frequency Charts.

There are also some threads for demo discs of scenes with good bass that you can download and burn. (Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in downloading and burning some of them for me, please send me a PM!)
Okay, sure, but I don't recommend Open Range as a bass demo. It has bass, sure, but it's the high transients of the gunshots that are so impressive on a good system.
Roger Dressler and Mfusick like this.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
JustMike is offline  
post #314 of 440 Old 11-11-2016, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,098
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Wow! So impressive. I can only imagine how much it cost to construct not even including equipment. Looking at the gorgeous house, though, I suppose the answer is "out of my budget", lol .
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #315 of 440 Old 11-16-2016, 01:53 PM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
Okay, sure, but I don't recommend Open Range as a bass demo. It has bass, sure, but it's the high transients of the gunshots that are so impressive on a good system.
I enjoyed this movie too.
Mfusick is offline  
post #316 of 440 Old 11-16-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 3,658
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Rob, I have an off topic question for you but feel that you might be really helpful in my goal.

I'm wanting to graze my side and rear walls from the ceiling down with either LED strip lights or LED rope lights. I want to mount them on the bottom of my soffit with black fabric panels mounted in front of them and behind them so that they are like recessed between each fabric panel. Could this method alone work by extending the outermost panel in a way that it is both taller and extends toward the walls I'm wanting grazed or should I use some kind of corner track housing with a lens that I can modify?

I know there are many complete systems that I could link together for this but I'm really not trying to spend that kind of money since the total linear feet is aprox 80'. Some new bright RBG LED 120V strip lights can span up to 150' without any other adapters or data supplies so would like to use them if can figure out a good way.

Here is a picture of a similar way I was trying to explain about using fabric panels to create the hidden track/run of strip lights.



I could build the fabric panels in just about any manner possible and right up against the wall or 6"-10" away from it as well. The wall height will be 9' at its highest and 7.5' at is lowest. The wall will have mixed acoustical treatments on it varying from diffusers to fabric covered absobtion panels. From my limited experience in lighting, is that even though most of my walls will have darker elements they will be far from smooth so Grazing would be better than Washing, correct?

Any and all suggestions on an easy and affordable way to go about this project would be great. Thanks again!

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2745.JPG
Views:	1811
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1774169  
audiovideoholic is offline  
post #317 of 440 Old 11-17-2016, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Rob Hahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Rob, I have an off topic question for you but feel that you might be really helpful in my goal.

I'm wanting to graze my side and rear walls from the ceiling down with either LED strip lights or LED rope lights. I want to mount them on the bottom of my soffit with black fabric panels mounted in front of them and behind them so that they are like recessed between each fabric panel. Could this method alone work by extending the outermost panel in a way that it is both taller and extends toward the walls I'm wanting grazed or should I use some kind of corner track housing with a lens that I can modify?

I know there are many complete systems that I could link together for this but I'm really not trying to spend that kind of money since the total linear feet is aprox 80'. Some new bright RBG LED 120V strip lights can span up to 150' without any other adapters or data supplies so would like to use them if can figure out a good way.

Here is a picture of a similar way I was trying to explain about using fabric panels to create the hidden track/run of strip lights.



I could build the fabric panels in just about any manner possible and right up against the wall or 6"-10" away from it as well. The wall height will be 9' at its highest and 7.5' at is lowest. The wall will have mixed acoustical treatments on it varying from diffusers to fabric covered absobtion panels. From my limited experience in lighting, is that even though most of my walls will have darker elements they will be far from smooth so Grazing would be better than Washing, correct?

Any and all suggestions on an easy and affordable way to go about this project would be great. Thanks again!

Alex
Alex, I have to say it's difficult to advise you based on the graphic and your description because I'm not familiar with all the elements involved (even after your thorough explanation). I can tell you that using LED strips are going to give you a wash simply because of the nature of those fixtures. If you look at my photos carefully, all the lighting behind the screen and on the sides were created with small directional fixtures on tracks. The ceiling lights (which I believe I have one photo of) were done with LED strips - you can see the difference. I prefer the directional lights because of their focusability (and it's also the style of lighting I prefer).

That's why I didn't use any LED strip soffit lighting in the theater. I don't like the way that looks - too diffuse and modern. However if the theater has a modern style to it, then that kind of lighting is not only appropriate, it's preferred.

Sorry if I can't be more of a help with more specifics...

-Rob

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...-rob-hahn.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-com...n-theater.html
Rob Hahn is offline  
post #318 of 440 Old 11-17-2016, 10:34 PM
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 17,607
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
check out prometheus the lighting is mounted like that.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MGGVWIYQAOh6EHRljwyadyMy93oLyxIlSA0H-ZR0lXU.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	1776145  
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #319 of 440 Old 12-01-2016, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
JDontee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 209
What's your opinion on near field subs vs Crowson for ULF experience?
JDontee is offline  
post #320 of 440 Old 12-01-2016, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Rob Hahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
What's your opinion on near field subs vs Crowson for ULF experience?
Well, I've never liked tactile solutions. I understand that Crowson is more than a butt shaker, but I still find them to be a compromise. Since the UberSubs I have _can_ get down below 30Hz easily & cleanly, I don't need any other kind of augmentation. Keith did not design the room to have any of the subs underneath any of the seats but I drove that bus that because of my very positive experiences with near field subs. When I requested 2 UberSubs be placed under each center seat in rows 2 & 3, Keith did the calculations and determined that their addition wouldn't hurt the overall performance of the room, so we did it.

I find they help enormously with impact and I'm really glad we put them in...

-Rob

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...-rob-hahn.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-com...n-theater.html
Scott Simonian likes this.
Rob Hahn is offline  
post #321 of 440 Old 12-01-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 3,658
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
check out prometheus the lighting is mounted like that.

Yea. I like the way the ceiling trough lighting is done in that room. I'm going to do something very very similar like a reverse soffit lighting which will fade down into the Wall Grazing lighting like I have linked a picture of below. At the section of overlap between my Wall Grazing and reverse soffit lighting like your room I'm hoping to achieve a three color illusion of sorts in a way if that is even possible. I'm hoping that like the top color(reverse soffit color) and Grazing color intersection creates the third color, but if my experiments don't work then I'll likely try using a barn door effect or use a lens to separate the two lighting applications.

Note how the Grazing illuminates the entire wall evenly from top to bottom. That is the key to Grazing vs Washing and since my theater will be modern I need to go the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2867.JPG
Views:	1787
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1801841  
audiovideoholic is offline  
post #322 of 440 Old 12-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
JDontee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hahn View Post
Well, I've never liked tactile solutions. I understand that Crowson is more than a butt shaker, but I still find them to be a compromise. Since the UberSubs I have _can_ get down below 30Hz easily & cleanly, I don't need any other kind of augmentation. Keith did not design the room to have any of the subs underneath any of the seats but I drove that bus that because of my very positive experiences with near field subs. When I requested 2 UberSubs be placed under each center seat in rows 2 & 3, Keith did the calculations and determined that their addition wouldn't hurt the overall performance of the room, so we did it.

I find they help enormously with impact and I'm really glad we put them in...

-Rob

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...-rob-hahn.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-com...n-theater.html
Do your near field subs produce the entire LFE signal? Or do you have a different low pass filter for your near field subs?
JDontee is offline  
post #323 of 440 Old 01-06-2017, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Rob Hahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
Do your near field subs produce the entire LFE signal? Or do you have a different low pass filter for your near field subs?
The near-field UberSubs are crossed over differently than the rest of the Ubersubs. There are 2 Ubers underneath each center seat in the 2nd & 3rd rows and 12 Ubers behind the screen. All of them have different crossovers based on the computer modeling of the room. There are also 8 JL subs scattered around the room that are crossed at a higher frequency, as a blend between the Ubers and the JBL M2 woofers.

-Rob

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...-rob-hahn.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-com...n-theater.html
Rob Hahn is offline  
post #324 of 440 Old 03-05-2017, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 226
WOW!!! I'm upset I'm only recently learning about this theater.

@Rob Hahn Congratulations on the completion of your masterpiece of a theater! Your theater is, without a doubt, the nicest home theater I have ever seen. I love everything about it, how everything is hidden behind the screen and false walls/ceiling, the equipment room, the layout, colors, everything. Absolute perfection, BRAVO!!!

Last edited by Blackdevil77; 03-05-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Blackdevil77 is offline  
post #325 of 440 Old 03-07-2017, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 8,885
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked: 3200
@ Rob Hahn: I posted this on your HT of the Month thread as well:

Other than the quality of the design, quality of the equipment, the looks of the installation, and the integration of it all into a cohesive gorgeous space, this is exactly like my theater .......... NOT!

If I did my math correctly, the cubic feet of the entire theater space exceeds that of my home.

Stunning. Simply stunning. Every aspect of your theater is off the charts. Congratulations. I'm sure you must grin a lot each time you get to experience a movie in that room

One question: In looking at the chart where Keith Yates was showing sound leakage into the bedroom, was the plot at the top of the chart (see below) the target frequency response he designed for your theater?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Measurements.png
Views:	114
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	2011801  
audioguy is online now  
post #326 of 440 Old 03-07-2017, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Rob Hahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
@ Rob Hahn: I posted this on your HT of the Month thread as well:

Other than the quality of the design, quality of the equipment, the looks of the installation, and the integration of it all into a cohesive gorgeous space, this is exactly like my theater .......... NOT!

If I did my math correctly, the cubic feet of the entire theater space exceeds that of my home.

Stunning. Simply stunning. Every aspect of your theater is off the charts. Congratulations. I'm sure you must grin a lot each time you get to experience a movie in that room

One question: In looking at the chart where Keith Yates was showing sound leakage into the bedroom, was the plot at the top of the chart (see below) the target frequency response he designed for your theater?

Thanks for those kinds words! Yeah, we never get used to it… It still amazes us!

I'm so sorry, for some reason I can't expand the graph (so I can't see what you're referring to) but I can tell you that (As Keith wrote): for the Master Bedroom - 20 feet away from the theater - the noise reduction from 12.5Hz to about 50Hz is in the 45 dB range and the LFE energized to Dolby/THX Reference level of 115db (steady state, not just peak) by the UberSub system is 33 dB(A), well below the Sleep Disturbance threshold (which is 42dB).

-Rob

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...-rob-hahn.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-com...n-theater.html
audiovideoholic likes this.

Last edited by Rob Hahn; 03-07-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Rob Hahn is offline  
post #327 of 440 Old 03-07-2017, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 8,885
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked: 3200
How does this one look?


Last edited by audioguy; 03-08-2017 at 03:45 AM.
audioguy is online now  
post #328 of 440 Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Peter M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,013
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hahn View Post
for the Master Bedroom - 20 feet away from the theater - the noise reduction from 12.5Hz to about 50Hz is in the 45 dB range and the LFE energized to Dolby/THX Reference level of 115db (steady state, not just peak) by the UberSub system is 33 dB(A), well below the Sleep Disturbance threshold (which is 42dB).
That would score a perfect 100 on my DNTMTTID* index !



* Do Not Tell Me To Turn It Down

Cheers,
BrolicBeast likes this.
Peter M is offline  
post #329 of 440 Old 03-13-2017, 10:21 PM
Senior Member
 
SXRDISBEST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Like others have said, I can't believe I haven't seen this theater until now. It's truly inspiring to see such an amazing project in a residential home. There are so many things about this theater that blow my mind that I don't even know where to start. All I'll say is congrats!
SXRDISBEST is offline  
post #330 of 440 Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 8,885
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked: 3200
A visit to this unbelievable theater could cost me a lot.

About 25 years ago, I wandered into a high end store in Beverly Hills (Christopher Hansen Audio), thinking I would be listening to a lot of great 2 channel gear. I had visited their previously. I walked into the rear portion of the store, and there was the very first actual home theater I had ever seen, complete with a Sony 1271 projector, Stewart Screen, Snell THX speakers and a Frox Control System (way ahead of it's time). I was blown away and mesmerized. I went home and copied it almost exactly, including the Frox System. And it has not stopped since, even after semi-retirement. I can't count, nor will I, what I have spent in the last 25 years trying to make it better. Probably not a lot less than Rob has invested in his theater.

A visit to Rob's home, I have no doubt, would probably re-kindle the same addiction enthusiastic response, and I would end up in the poor house ..... and probably divorced.

There are some things better imagined than seen. Plus, he probably would not appreciate me drooling all over his theater.
Peter M and Elill like this.
audioguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off