"Would you kindly enjoy the show?"
Welcome to my 2nd Home Theater build. My first one was in a prefinished room with no special care given to isolation or acoustics. We recently moved to a new house with a completely unfinished basement. This thread will be used to track progress and hopefully have discussions on design decisions.
The unfinished space I have to work with. Major design dictated by egress window on the bottom of this image which the guest bedroom will utilize.
Planned layout I came up with.
CONSTRUCTION DESIGN DECISIONS
1. Planning staggered stud walls between bedroom/theater room and furnace/theater room. All other walls are external poured concrete walls with standard 2x4 stud construction.
2. Wife is not concerned with isolation. I think that's a mistake so pending cost I am planning the following in order of priority to me.
a. DD+GG on ceiling *almost guaranteed to happen
b. OSB-GG-Drywall on side walls, priority on interior walls. *most likely going to happen
c. Decouple side walls from ceiling with RSIC type clips. *might happen, pending expense of clips, ease of install, and if it will help much without clips for ceiling.
d. Whisper clips/hat channel *Probably not going to happen due to expense and loss of ceiling height (94" pre finished)
3. Solid core doors for bottom of stairs and leading to hallway of basement.
4. Side walls with MDF/Trim/Shallow columns.
EQUIPMENT (vastly subject to change)
1. 7.2.4 Atmos.
2. Two 18" subs powered by iNuke amp (SI DS4, iNuke 3000dsp).
3. AVR with Atmos/DTSX capability, most likely to require additional amps for atmos (Pioneer SC-95).
4. Upgraded speakers over my current Infinity's. (DIYsoundgroup 893s with Volt 6s, SVS Prime, Elac Debut, Elac UniFi, KEF Q Series, etc).
5. Epson Pro Cinema 9500UB (Currently own and plan to use for a while longer).
6. Screen will be Seymour at screen material. Size undetermined ATM (pending riser height).
7. Seating, two rows of 3 theater style seats.
QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS
1. Plumbing rough ins, which ones to use, want full bathroom. Most likely stage 2 after bedroom and theater room is complete.
2. HVAC, large square duct requires soffit which I could be okay with. Soffit cannot encompass whole room due to ceiling height (specifically by the landing from stairs).
3. HVAC, cooling concerns with only 2 vents in the entire basement. 1 in theater room, 1 in hallway. Need at least 1 in bedroom, 1 in bathroom, prefer an additional one in theater room. Questions on capacity of current system. Requires professional help I think.
4. Riser concerns. If 8" high will be enough and extend the riser the entire width of the room and step down for first row, or if I'm going to have to leave a walk way after leaving the landing of the stairs and just make the riser not as wide.