Acoustical Treatments Master Thread - Page 411 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 430Likes

post #12301 of 12723 Old 12-24-2018, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just wanted to share some treatments I've been working on. I had some BAD panels made (about 40, in fact). I'm going to be experimenting with them in my theater as I feel like it is over dampened. Here is the back wall I just finished, as well as the ceiling clouds.

Next step is experimenting with the side walls. I am optimistic about what I'm hearing so far...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050633.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2500580   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050628.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	2500582   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050630.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	2500584  
kagtha likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12302 of 12723 Old 12-25-2018, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonES300 View Post
Just wanted to share some treatments I've been working on. I had some BAD panels made (about 40, in fact). I'm going to be experimenting with them in my theater as I feel like it is over dampened. Here is the back wall I just finished, as well as the ceiling clouds.

Next step is experimenting with the side walls. I am optimistic about what I'm hearing so far...
Nice, did you have someone drill them out with a CNC machine?

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #12303 of 12723 Old 12-25-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Nice, did you have someone drill them out with a CNC machine?
Exactly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12304 of 12723 Old 12-26-2018, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can I just add safe and sound in the 4 corners like the picture below? I don’t know if it’s better to cut them in triangles or just rectangle. Rectangle seem so much faster plus more material gets used. So that should be better??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12305 of 12723 Old 12-26-2018, 02:10 PM

Can I just add safe and sound in the 4 corners like the picture below? I don’t know if it’s better to cut them in triangles or just rectangle. Rectangle seem so much faster plus more material gets used. So that should be better??

post #12306 of 12723 Old 12-26-2018, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncabw View Post

Triangular would be much better
Nighthawk26 likes this.
post #12307 of 12723 Old 12-28-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Triangular is a more efficient use of materials, if you are limited by the amount of material you can use or if you are trying to minimize the footprint of the installation. Rectangles will provide better performance.
post #12308 of 12723 Old 12-30-2018, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I have search the forum and internet for this question, but have not found anything conclusive. So thought I would as the question here. I bought my wife a Moviesac from Lovesac as a Christmas gift (see link below). Essentially a beat bag, it is 4’ wide and about 3 1/2' tall, and weighs about 45 pounds. It will filled with shredded durafoam and is covered with at plush cloth type cover. I am curious if the Moviesac will act as additional acoustic treatment for the room, especially as an additional bass trap.

Located in a fully finished basement, my "home theater" room is rectangular (about 22'x11') and opens up on the right side to a kitchen and stairway going upstairs. There is also a bedroom behind the room that acts as a workout room. I have several acoustic panels already, including about five bags of dense pack insulation (from Home Depot) in very narrow closet to the left side of the room. Cheap idea that seemed to have tamed bass that seemingly would stand and echo in the closet.

The Moviesac will be in the back left corner of the room where I currently have a chair. Pics are attached.

(https://www.lovesac.com/product/item...viesac/2108956)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	2502766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	2502768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	2502770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	2502772  
kagtha likes this.

Last edited by Drelldrell; 12-30-2018 at 10:24 AM.
post #12309 of 12723 Old 12-30-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Triangular is a more efficient use of materials, if you are limited by the amount of material you can use or if you are trying to minimize the footprint of the installation. Rectangles will provide better performance.

Thanks.

For now I did the back 2 corners as rectangle 16”x24”

I might do triangles in the front corners because they will look better.

post #12310 of 12723 Old 12-30-2018, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Exactly

I’d really like to hear the results of this. I keep hearing everyone rave about diffusion over absorption. Love to see what you think.

There’s been a lot of talk of diffusion adding “spaciousness”.
post #12311 of 12723 Old 12-31-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drelldrell View Post
I have search the forum and internet for this question, but have not found anything conclusive. So thought I would as the question here. I bought my wife a Moviesac from Lovesac as a Christmas gift (see link below). Essentially a beat bag, it is 4’ wide and about 3 1/2' tall, and weighs about 45 pounds. It will filled with shredded durafoam and is covered with at plush cloth type cover. I am curious if the Moviesac will act as additional acoustic treatment for the room, especially as an additional bass trap.

Located in a fully finished basement, my "home theater" room is rectangular (about 22'x11') and opens up on the right side to a kitchen and stairway going upstairs. There is also a bedroom behind the room that acts as a workout room. I have several acoustic panels already, including about five bags of dense pack insulation (from Home Depot) in very narrow closet to the left side of the room. Cheap idea that seemed to have tamed bass that seemingly would stand and echo in the closet.

The Moviesac will be in the back left corner of the room where I currently have a chair. Pics are attached.

Everything acts as "acoustic treatment" in your room. Every piece of furniture, gear, or human. I wouldn't get too excited about it's effectiveness. Taming low bass with resistive traps takes a lot of volume...
post #12312 of 12723 Old 12-31-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I’d really like to hear the results of this. I keep hearing everyone rave about diffusion over absorption. Love to see what you think.

There’s been a lot of talk of diffusion adding “spaciousness”.
To make a long story short, so far I like it. At the moment, I have the back wall treated with bad panels of offset depth, the ceiling clouds treated with BAD panels, and the side wall treated with various forms of BAD panels. When I say BAD panels, I mean that I have covered my current traps varying from 6-9" thick with the templates drilled from 1/4" plywood.

The rear wall and ceilings were a no brainer for me. My room was overly trapped with broadband absorption. The rear wall was slatted with MLS slats and the ceiling clouds were bare. Adding the BAD panels in these areas has helped retain the high frequency energy in the room. Did it make it "spacious"? No, I don't think so.

The fun part so far has been experimenting with the side walls. For kicks, I temporarily placed BAD templates covering the entire side walls and guess what happened? Magic. Magic happened. I guess it's safe to say that I am in the Toole camp and that I enjoy early lateral reflections. I don't want to use too much audiophile jargon, but if I had to describe it, it was like lifting a blanket off the high frequency details and they spread not only laterally, but also wrapped around, more in three dimensions. Some may call this imprecise, but I don't care. It is far more enjoyable to my ears than absorbing all the early reflections. And the stereo image is very much intact. I don't hear things smearing together. It is only an enhancement of the boundaries and details.

At the moment, I am experimenting with various forms of arcing the templates into polycylindrical-like shapes. I'm not ready to make a judgement on that yet, although I have some early impressions...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181230_164703352.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	896.3 KB
ID:	2503280  
post #12313 of 12723 Old 12-31-2018, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
To make a long story short, so far I like it. At the moment, I have the back wall treated with bad panels of offset depth, the ceiling clouds treated with BAD panels, and the side wall treated with various forms of BAD panels. When I say BAD panels, I mean that I have covered my current traps varying from 6-9" thick with the templates drilled from 1/4" plywood.

The rear wall and ceilings were a no brainer for me. My room was overly trapped with broadband absorption. The rear wall was slatted with MLS slats and the ceiling clouds were bare. Adding the BAD panels in these areas has helped retain the high frequency energy in the room. Did it make it "spacious"? No, I don't think so.

The fun part so far has been experimenting with the side walls. For kicks, I temporarily placed BAD templates covering the entire side walls and guess what happened? Magic. Magic happened. I guess it's safe to say that I am in the Toole camp and that I enjoy early lateral reflections. I don't want to use too much audiophile jargon, but if I had to describe it, it was like lifting a blanket off the high frequency details and they spread not only laterally, but also wrapped around, more in three dimensions. Some may call this imprecise, but I don't care. It is far more enjoyable to my ears than absorbing all the early reflections. And the stereo image is very much intact. I don't hear things smearing together. It is only an enhancement of the boundaries and details.

At the moment, I am experimenting with various forms of arcing the templates into polycylindrical-like shapes. I'm not ready to make a judgement on that yet, although I have some early impressions...
Cool - that's kinda what I was referring to with spacious - that wrapping around that you described.

Where'd you get the templates done?
post #12314 of 12723 Old 01-02-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Cool - that's kinda what I was referring to with spacious - that wrapping around that you described.

Where'd you get the templates done?
Friend with CNC access. Check your local craigslist for woodworkers advertising CNC services. A little looking around the web will provide the files they would need...
post #12315 of 12723 Old 01-12-2019, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900HP View Post
I started the acoustic absorber panel construction for both my room and a buddy's. My room will have all black absorbers with the exception of the side walls which are the red. His side walls are the tan. We have more to do of course and bass traps to build. Just thought I'd share.
Your panels look Amazing!

What are the dimensions and where did you purchase your overlay fabric?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

DIY HTR: One 800 lb. VBSS credenza, 3 horizontal Elusive 1099s, 2 HT-8 height duty wedges, & 2 DIY Volt 6 Tabletop Surrounds.
Bedroom:5 MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds, 2 hidden DIY shallow 12's, & 2 BST Bass Shakers on 2 PB875 Ensos.
post #12316 of 12723 Old 01-14-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hello All,
Been lurking through this thread and trying to keep my head from exploding with the information.
I am finishing up my home theater and I have a large cavity in the back of the room (vertical) that I am going to fill with insulation as a bass trap.

It is 12" deep, and wall to ceiling tall (7' tall by 7' wide).

I "overordered" Linaccoustic because I got it for a prayer from a HVAC contractor buddy and have enough to fill it entirely with Linaccoustic via layering

MY question is, would filling this entire void with linaccoustic be better than filling it with Roxul? Or would Roxul / pink fluffy work better a bass trap?

I apologize if my question is noobish, but with this much linaccoustic sitting around I figured I'd get rid of it but was unsure if its properties would work well when layered 11 times thick?

Appreciate the informed answer.
post #12317 of 12723 Old 01-14-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Quoted: 7880 Post(s)
Liked: 7073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
Or would Roxul / pink fluffy work better a bass trap?
For 12' thickness, I would do pink fluffy.

Sanjay
post #12318 of 12723 Old 01-14-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
For 12' thickness, I would do pink fluffy.
OK THanks. I have a bunch of Roxul Saf N Sound already in my basement, but if you recommend the fluffy then fluffy it is. Did you put any kind of plastic over it for particle / fiber control or is the fabric of the panel itself sufficient?
post #12319 of 12723 Old 01-14-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Quoted: 7880 Post(s)
Liked: 7073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
I have a bunch of Roxul Saf N Sound already in my basement, but if you recommend the fluffy then fluffy it is.
The thicker the panel, the less dense (better gas flow) the material should be. Besides, pink fluffy is the cheapest insulation you can buy. Just make sure it is not compressed when installed (try to keep if fluffy).
Quote:
Did you put any kind of plastic over it for particle / fiber control or is the fabric of the panel itself sufficient?
Fabric panel is sufficient. Plastic membrane helps reflect higher frequencies when you don't want a bass trap to be a full range absorber. But at the middle of the back wall, I prefer all frequencies absorbed. YMMV.

Sanjay
post #12320 of 12723 Old 01-21-2019, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagtha View Post
Your panels look Amazing!

What are the dimensions and where did you purchase your overlay fabric?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks. They are 24"x48" inside. The frames are just 1x4's, 2" of absorber with 1.5" air gap. The absorber mats and the fabric (Guilford of Maine) was purchased from ATS acoustics. They have a nice comparison chart of the various absorption that is available as well.

Edit: I should also mention that there are 6" thick w/ 4" absorber bass traps on the front wall as well as full-height corner bass traps with 4" absorbent too. There is also Auralex 4" corner fills around the entire ceiling and some Auralex placed in other strategic areas.

kagtha likes this.

Last edited by 900HP; 01-21-2019 at 12:43 PM.
post #12321 of 12723 Old 01-21-2019, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Been planning a wood backing behind our TV just like this. A little OT but do you mind sharing what you used for this? My wife loves it! TIA
post #12322 of 12723 Old 01-23-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 View Post
Been planning a wood backing behind our TV just like this. A little OT but do you mind sharing what you used for this? My wife loves it! TIA
Thanks. We love the wall too. See product below. It’s actualy vinyl plank flooring. Nice texture, not flat.Easy to install.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...ring/999957677
owl1 likes this.
post #12323 of 12723 Old 01-24-2019, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Acoustical Treatments Master Thread

Quote:
Thanks. We love the wall too. See product below. It’s actualy vinyl plank flooring. Nice texture, not flat.Easy to install.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...ring/999957677

Thanks! Is the wall really the driftwood color? Yours looks more like mahogany in the picture.

post #12324 of 12723 Old 01-24-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 View Post
Thanks! Is the wall really the driftwood color? Yours looks more like mahogany in the picture.

It's certainly darker than driftwood out of the box. Color is warmer and closer to mahogany in reality. I also have a darker ceiling that helps maintain the view.
post #12325 of 12723 Old 02-05-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quick newbie question about OC 703/705. Is the thickness pretty accurate (does 1" thick measure 1" or less like plywood, etc.?) Also, OC's website says 703 is semi-rigid and 705 is very rigid and more durable. For people who have used both; is the 705 more dent/abuse resistant?
post #12326 of 12723 Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I have a drop ceiling in my theater room but the tiles are not acoustic. Can anyone recommend an economical source for black 24x48x2 acoustic ceiling panels? I might end up going with 1" panels if I can't find a good deal on 2" panels.
post #12327 of 12723 Old 02-08-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
I have a drop ceiling in my theater room but the tiles are not acoustic. Can anyone recommend an economical source for black 24x48x2 acoustic ceiling panels? I might end up going with 1" panels if I can't find a good deal on 2" panels.
A AVS Member and friend in my area has the Theater Black f tile are this place.

https://www.certainteed.com/commerci...eatre-black-f/

I priced the tile for my room which is is 14'x26' and it was $324.86 which is about $3.57 a tile. They are 1" in thickness. The track and wire was around $300 for my room. Check out where to buy in your area.

Edit: The price is for 2'x2' tiles, but they sell it in 2'x4' as well. Not sure on the price.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #12328 of 12723 Old 02-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
A AVS Member and friend in my area has the Theater Black f tile are this place.

https://www.certainteed.com/commerci...eatre-black-f/

I priced the tile for my room which is is 14'x26' and it was $324.86 which is about $3.57 a tile. They are 1" in thickness. The track and wire was around $300 for my room. Check out where to buy in your area.

Edit: The price is for 2'x2' tiles, but they sell it in 2'x4' as well. Not sure on the price.
Thanks! Do you know if he is happy with the acoustic properties of these panels?
post #12329 of 12723 Old 02-08-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
Thanks! Do you know if he is happy with the acoustic properties of these panels?
Yes, he is very happy. He is the one who put me in touch with a local company. That's how I got the prices. I thinking of using them as well if I can figure a way to support Atmos speakers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #12330 of 12723 Old 02-09-2019, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Yes, he is very happy. He is the one who put me in touch with a local company. That's how I got the prices. I thinking of using them as well if I can figure a way to support Atmos speakers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
With my current drop ceiling, I used speakers made for ceiling mounting for my atmos speakers. Mine are Paradigm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Denon , Audyssey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page