The Serenity Theater (upcoming build) - advice needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-25-2016, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The Serenity Theater (upcoming build) - advice needed

Within the next few months, I will be purchasing a house that will finally allow me to create a dedicated theater room. Unfortunately, I will be starting with a prefinished space and I will not have the funds available for a complete gut job (for now) in order to do clips and true soundproofing.

I have listed my current plan below along with a few potential issues I think I could run in to. I am brand new to the dedicated space, so I am positive there are things I am thinking will work that won’t or items/issues I am overlooking. Any insight you all could provide would be IMMENSELY appreciated.

The room I will be starting with is a 23’ 3” L x 16’ 5” W x 8’ H bedroom on the second floor (Bedroom 5 in the floorplan below). The plans rattling around in my head at the moment are:
• Build a false wall 24”-30” out from the 16’5” wall (will place a blind over the window to preserve exterior appearance) with bass traps in the corners and acoustic treatments over the entire space behind the wall (including the window to block out any light leak)
• Cut an equipment rack into the 2’8” side of the closet. This will allow me to keep the equipment in the room, but not cause any visual distractions since the equipment will be facing towards the screen wall.
• Either a 120” 16:9 screen or a 115”-125” 2.35:1 screen
• 2 rows of seating (4 seat front row with either a riser and 3-4 seats or bar seating for second row)
• Stick with 7.1 for now and use current equipment (Polk Monitor setup with SVS PC-12NSD sub)
• Matte charcoal gray walls and ceiling (Kendall Charcoal from Sherwin Williams most likely)
• DIY acoustic panels at first reflection points and other places throughout the room (thinking either navy or burgundy)
• Can’t decide about a stage

Potential issues I can foresee:
• The closet could cause some issues when it comes to surround placement
• Each side of the room has a different angle to the ceiling (see pics). This will make building the screen wall a touch more difficult, but not worried about that as much as I am the potential for sound issues.
• There will be a ceiling fan (low profile) mounted in the center of the room. I am hoping/thinking that having the screen a couple feet in from the actual wall will allow me to mount the projector (not sure which one to go with yet) behind the fan without any throw distance issues. The room has 4 HVAC vents, so I would probably be fine without the fan, but would like to keep it in the plan just in case.

Here is the floorplan for the second floor. The image I found online appears to be a bit “smooshed” making the dimensions not look quite right, but I have added in the actual measurements.

Here are two views of the room. Notice the ceiling angle.

Since I didn’t have a picture of the other side of the room, here is a shot of bedroom 4 to show how the angle of the ceiling on this side of the room is different from the one above. The theater room has this same angle.

As I mentioned earlier, this is all brand new to me. I have looked on in awe at many of the theaters posted here for years and would love any comments, critiques, suggestions, etc that you all could provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-25-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 897
You could also build a false side wall, to create visual symmetry. Might mean 3 seats wide seating. Something like a Middle Atlantic Slim5
av rack could be recessed in the side fabric wall, right beside the closet.

Make those side walls fabric, and have your acoustical treatments beneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd floor.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1623441  
post #3 of 3 Old 08-25-2016, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hi Tedd and thanks for the reply. A false wall along the side is something I hadn't even thought about. That would also help with side surround placement.

I'm heading out to the house this weekend and plan to take some detailed measurements of the ceiling and where it starts sloping on each side. Looking at the pics, I believe building the side false wall nearly flush with the front of the closet would produce symmetry with the other side. That would yield a visual room size of around 21' x 13' 9" after front and side false walls, so placing a 125" scope screen shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.

Like you mentioned, I may need to go down to 3 seats per row, which kinda sucks, but would most likely be worth it. I'll need to take a closer look at various seating measurements and do some calculations.

Thanks again for the reply. If you or others have any other ideas or suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Last edited by 4fit?; 08-25-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page