Cinema Midwest 2.0 - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 255Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 385 Old 06-05-2017, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Yes, the house continues to progress!

Let’s do a run down on what I’ve been wasting my time on…

1 - Was gone for a while for work at Virginia Beach. Had an awesome view of the beach from my room, but my feet never got to touch the sand. Bummer.

2 - We’ve been spiffing up the current house getting it ready for renting it. The wife and I spent memorial day weekend and the Monday after power washing and staining everything in sight. (Pics below) It really is a nice house, I hope we can find a responsible tenant for her.





3 - I’ve been gearing up to start low-voltage wiring. Should happen within the next two weeks I’m hoping. Got one of my orders in from Monoprice (see below for kid hugging the boxes.) That’s roughly half of the wire I’ll be running along with various low voltage boxes, pull ties, etc.



4 - Yes, believe it or not, the house is now moving at a pretty dang fast pace. Since a month ago they:

- Finished all framing
- Finished all the siding
- Installed all (but three) windows
- Installed rough in for fireplace
- Finish putting the roof on
- Poured the porch
- Finished building a retaining wall
- Have roughed in all the HVAC
- Have roughed in all the plumbing
- Started the electrical

See below for various pics of state of construction.






I'll post some of my low voltage wiring plans next...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exterior-1.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	2172330   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring-order.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	2172338   Click image for larger version

Name:	stained-deck.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	2172346   Click image for larger version

Name:	stained-playset.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	2172354   Click image for larger version

Name:	top-layer-prep.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	2172362  

Click image for larger version

Name:	retaining-wall.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	2172370   Click image for larger version

Name:	exterior-2.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	2172378  
TMcG and Ladeback like this.
chirpie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 385 Old 06-05-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Yes, the house continues to progress!

Let’s do a run down on what I’ve been wasting my time on…

1 - Was gone for a while for work at Virginia Beach. Had an awesome view of the beach from my room, but my feet never got to touch the sand. Bummer.

2 - We’ve been spiffing up the current house getting it ready for renting it. The wife and I spent memorial day weekend and the Monday after power washing and staining everything in sight. (Pics below) It really is a nice house, I hope we can find a responsible tenant for her.





3 - I’ve been gearing up to start low-voltage wiring. Should happen within the next two weeks I’m hoping. Got one of my orders in from Monoprice (see below for kid hugging the boxes.) That’s roughly half of the wire I’ll be running along with various low voltage boxes, pull ties, etc.



4 - Yes, believe it or not, the house is now moving at a pretty dang fast pace. Since a month ago they:

- Finished all framing
- Finished all the siding
- Installed all (but three) windows
- Installed rough in for fireplace
- Finish putting the roof on
- Poured the porch
- Finished building a retaining wall
- Have roughed in all the HVAC
- Have roughed in all the plumbing
- Started the electrical

See below for various pics of state of construction.






I'll post some of my low voltage wiring plans next...
Nice, that is a lot of wire and your new house is pretty big. You will like not having the split level. When I lived in my wife's house before we moved north, I got tired of all the levels and stairs. Now we have a large ranch and the only big stairs are to the basement. I haven't started running any wire for mine yet, but my room isn't as big as yours. I look forward to updates.

Nice work on getting the house to rent and good luck in renting it out fast.

Doug

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #213 of 385 Old 06-06-2017, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Not sure who would want to see this, but this is my rough of where I'll be dropping items.



Question for anyone out there...

For an equipment rack I was thinking 42u, 4 pole, 19" wide. Seemed like that's what most use but I thought I'd check.

Something like this:



If anyone thinks that's a bad idea, speak now or forever hold your peace. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whole-home-low-voltage.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	2174538   Click image for larger version

Name:	31BbT53i7AL.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	2174546  
Ladeback likes this.
chirpie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #214 of 385 Old 06-06-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Not sure who would want to see this, but this is my rough of where I'll be dropping items.



Question for anyone out there...

For an equipment rack I was thinking 42u, 4 pole, 19" wide. Seemed like that's what most use but I thought I'd check.

Something like this:



If anyone thinks that's a bad idea, speak now or forever hold your peace. ;-)

I think your plans are good, but why not just stick with all Cat 6? Do you have any HDMI long runs?

As for the rack, I have something like that on wheels I have yet to move equipment over to. Still trying to decide on a final design and have been busy with kids activities. The nice thing about that rack is you could just put it in a room by its self or build it into a wall.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #215 of 385 Old 06-06-2017, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I think your plans are good, but why not just stick with all Cat 6? Do you have any HDMI long runs?

As for the rack, I have something like that on wheels I have yet to move equipment over to. Still trying to decide on a final design and have been busy with kids activities. The nice thing about that rack is you could just put it in a room by its self or build it into a wall.
Yeah the rack will be built into a wall with a door to get to the back. (I haven't posted those plan ideas yet, but I'm up to 6 variants so far. )

I don't plan on running HDMI from the basement to the top floor, but I may run conduit for a pull from basement to attic just in case.

As for the Cat 5e, those are for the audio control panels only. I'm doing double run Cat6 drops to every other location. If I have left over, I'll be using that instead of the 5e for the audio control panels.

:-)
Ladeback likes this.
chirpie is offline  
post #216 of 385 Old 06-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Looking good!
chirpie likes this.
Arrowhead29 is offline  
post #217 of 385 Old 06-06-2017, 08:14 PM
Member
 
dk-customs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KS
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chirpie,
Everything looks like it's coming together nicely. It's obvious you've put a lot of time into planning the details.

A couple of questions - are you planning on any runs for wireless access points on the 2nd floor (looks like a big house), also are you running a RG6 for a Subwoofer on the 1st floor to complement your ceiling speakers?

I'm watching your thread with a lot of interest as I'm doings a lot of the same things you're doing. Hopefully we finalize the plans this week or next.
dk-customs is offline  
post #218 of 385 Old 06-07-2017, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk-customs View Post
Chirpie,
Everything looks like it's coming together nicely. It's obvious you've put a lot of time into planning the details.

A couple of questions - are you planning on any runs for wireless access points on the 2nd floor (looks like a big house), also are you running a RG6 for a Subwoofer on the 1st floor to complement your ceiling speakers?

I'm watching your thread with a lot of interest as I'm doings a lot of the same things you're doing. Hopefully we finalize the plans this week or next.
Yeah, I've got a double run of Cat 6 in the kitchen area that I've no clue what I was going to do with and a wi-fi repeater was one of the things I thought about doing with it.

But good point on the sub on the first floor. I don't plan on putting a sub there, but that doesn't mean someone else won't. It'd be a fast easy run, so I think I'll add it. Thanks!

(And good luck to you!)
chirpie is offline  
post #219 of 385 Old 06-07-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Yeah, I've got a double run of Cat 6 in the kitchen area that I've no clue what I was going to do with and a wi-fi repeater was one of the things I thought about doing with it.

But good point on the sub on the first floor. I don't plan on putting a sub there, but that doesn't mean someone else won't. It'd be a fast easy run, so I think I'll add it. Thanks!

(And good luck to you!)
I have 2 runs of RG6 that is run to my living room that I haven't used yet in the 10 years living there, but I up to use one of them soon this year once I get a new AVR for my living room 5.1 set up.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #220 of 385 Old 06-07-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,725
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Yeah, I've got a double run of Cat 6 in the kitchen area that I've no clue what I was going to do with and a wi-fi repeater was one of the things I thought about doing with it.
Word of advice. Don't ever go the repeater direction unless you absolutely have to. Always get a genuine WAP. One of the ceiling-mounted WAPs like THIS with Power Over Ethernet will give you HUGE bonus / style points and generally exceptional range. I have one on the ceiling in our two-story foyer and the signal difference in our top floor master suite was incredible.
nathan_h likes this.
TMcG is offline  
post #221 of 385 Old 06-07-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Word of advice. Don't ever go the repeater direction unless you absolutely have to. Always get a genuine WAP. One of the ceiling-mounted WAPs like THIS with Power Over Ethernet will give you HUGE bonus / style points and generally exceptional range. I have one on the ceiling in our two-story foyer and the signal difference in our top floor master suite was incredible.
That's the one the last Google Fiber installer recommended to me if I needed to extend me WIFI, but by moving my network box to our main level improved our issues.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #222 of 385 Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Word of advice. Don't ever go the repeater direction unless you absolutely have to. Always get a genuine WAP. One of the ceiling-mounted WAPs like THIS with Power Over Ethernet will give you HUGE bonus / style points and generally exceptional range. I have one on the ceiling in our two-story foyer and the signal difference in our top floor master suite was incredible.


Filed that model away. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-07-1457387813-3802365-PHOTO2.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2177362  
DougUSMC likes this.
chirpie is offline  
post #223 of 385 Old 07-13-2017, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
I figured I'd throw in a meager update to try and keep this fledgling thread alive.

My low-voltage wiring went off without a hitch. Or at least nobody called me to come back and fix my mistakes anyway.

All of the insulation and drywall and taping and mudding is now done in the house. Up Next is another rough grade on the yard and trim can start.

There was a little bit of an annoying thing that happened when they put in the 100 amp subpanel that I asked for. I paid 900 bucks to have the sub panel put in. And everything looked fine.



The only catch was when I came back two days later the electrician had started to fill up the sub panel with kitchen appliances.



Refrigerator, oven, microwave, gfci receptacles... they were all there. I felt bad because I'm sure the electrician was thinking that it could save him some time and he was probably thinking why would this guy need all of this box for one room? But I had to fight the general contractor to have him rip it out and run it over to the original 200 amp panel instead.

The general contractor was insistent that there was no need for me to have an entire 100 amp panel just for one room. He basically refused to tell the electrician to pull it out until I met with him and his boss (the builder) They kept saying it was critical to have shorter runs. Our point was that if it was so 'critical,' why was this something that was optional and not used on other builds?


I told him that I had paid to put it in and it wasn't really their place to decide for me what I wanted to do with it. At that point the wife said, forget our reasons, what are you going to do to fix it? That basically ended it there and they recanted.

The electrician pulled it all out and reran it. I wouldn't blame him if he was mad at me. I bet he even asked the general contractor first and the general contractor said it was OK.

What can I say? I guess I have some strange ideas in my mind like wanting to make sure lights are all on one phase, larger gauge ran for a lower inductance, and of course lots and lots of amps and lights that I don't want dimming because they're stuck on the same circuit or other such nonsense. Plus I want to save the other openings left when I'm done wiring for the rest of the basement. And who knows what kind of crazy crap the wife is dreaming up for the backyard? LOL

More to come...
Jive Turkey and femi like this.
chirpie is offline  
post #224 of 385 Old 07-13-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Chirpie - "Hey, I want an extra panel for my own use"
Builder - "That's silly, but if you want one, it'll cost you a grand"
Chirpie - "Cool, put it in"
Builder - "Here it is"
Chirpie - "Awesome, thanks guys"
...
Electrician - "Heyyyy, extra panel for me!!"
Chirpie - "That's MY panel"
Builder - "You don't really need it. Just b/c you added it, paid extra, and say you want it, you can't have it all"
Chirpie - (Calm professional conversation)

Alternate universe:
Doug - "Are you @#[email protected]# kidding me?!?! Get your $Q$T out of my @#%@$^ panel!!"
Option two, the BEST I'd ever have done "I'm going to pretend you didn't tell me that, let me know when you finished getting your @#$t out of my panel, and I'll come by to do a check off inspection. Don't MAKE me sign off on everything you do from now on".

Tell the electrician you're sorry that the GC and Builder are idjits, but it could be worse - He could be building a house for the crazy Marine on your HT forum.



Glad you got your panel back!!
chirpie, LydMekk, TMcG and 3 others like this.
DougUSMC is offline  
post #225 of 385 Old 07-13-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SC
Posts: 2,853
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Yes, it was nice of you to pay them to make their job easier!

FWIW on commercial jobs we didn't worry about voltage drop until the run was 300'. Electrician would run 10ga for a 20 amp circuit in that instance.

Not sure if that jives with the calcs in the book (never had to worry about it), but that's what was done.

So unless your house is like 20,000 square feet, they were just blowing smoke.

Tim
chirpie and Ladeback like this.
Mr.Tim is offline  
post #226 of 385 Old 07-14-2017, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Chirpie - "Hey, I want an extra panel for my own use"
Builder - "That's silly, but if you want one, it'll cost you a grand"
Chirpie - "Cool, put it in"
Builder - "Here it is"
Chirpie - "Awesome, thanks guys"
...
Electrician - "Heyyyy, extra panel for me!!"
Chirpie - "That's MY panel"
Builder - "You don't really need it. Just b/c you added it, paid extra, and say you want it, you can't have it all"
Chirpie - (Calm professional conversation)

Alternate universe:
Doug - "Are you @#[email protected]# kidding me?!?! Get your $Q$T out of my @#%@$^ panel!!"
Option two, the BEST I'd ever have done "I'm going to pretend you didn't tell me that, let me know when you finished getting your @#$t out of my panel, and I'll come by to do a check off inspection. Don't MAKE me sign off on everything you do from now on".

Tell the electrician you're sorry that the GC and Builder are idjits, but it could be worse - He could be building a house for the crazy Marine on your HT forum.



Glad you got your panel back!!
Maaaaaan. I need a Doug I can hire for um... "negotiations..." in the future. ^_^
BrolicBeast likes this.
chirpie is offline  
post #227 of 385 Old 07-14-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
WOW, your builder is a piece of work. You are the client and your are paying the bills and if they don't do what you had lined out it is on them. Better keep an eye on them. I would have been kind of in between on how I would have talked to him. If he told me I didn't need it, I would have said that is my business and I paid extra for so take your stuff out now and don't let it happen again.

Hope it gets better working with them. I was always visiting our house when we built it half way through the build. We could only change paint color, hardware and light fixtures. I checked on our house just after they painted the inside and had painted it the wrong color. They had to paint it all over again and did a crappy job. Now we have repainted about every room except the laundry room and closets. I found a few small things like missing floor outlets and few other things, but they seem to get better when they new I was going to be coming around a lot. I looking forward to seeing more finished photos as you go.

I can't remember, what are you going with for AVR/Pre-Pro, speakers, projector and screen?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #228 of 385 Old 07-14-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Maaaaaan. I need a Doug I can hire for um... "negotiations..." in the future. ^_^
No problem, we charge fairly reasonable fees. Our current standard rate is "one ticket to opening night screening, with soda, popcorn, and BunchaCrunch included".

Seriously tho, I dig your build, it's been on my Sub list for a bit now.
Ladeback likes this.
DougUSMC is offline  
post #229 of 385 Old 07-14-2017, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I can't remember, what are you going with for AVR/Pre-Pro, speakers, projector and screen?
This might be sacrilege, but I'm not that worried about any of those items yet. Too much will change by the time I'm ready to purchase. I always assume there's more delays waiting around the corner. Every time I see someone buy a projector when they're just starting a build, I'm like... NOOOO!

I won't be moved in until October. I probably won't be done framing the basement until probably sometime next Summer. There will be plenty flavor of the months that will come and go in between. But I can give an idea of the TYPE of stuff I'm looking at.

1 - The big issue for me is an "affordable" 9.1.6 solution. That's getting closer. I've seen a few offerings from companies like Emotiva (if they ever release) that get pretty dang close and for waaaaaay less than $20k for the Trinnov. I just can't convince myself to spend anywhere near 20k because receivers/prepros just lose their value too fast. The Lyngdorf MP-50 already hits 9.1.6 (sort of with matrixed approach) at basically half the price. So that's encouraging.

2 - Ditto for projectors. I wouldn't buy a projector until I had carpet scheduled for install. But my projector choice won't be overthought. I'll want around 14-16 lamberts at my screen size. And no DLP, as I've yet to see one that rainbows don't immediately send me into a fit.

3 - Speaker types will need to be highly efficient for this size of room at reference. That all but kills 95% of all soft dome tweeters out there. My eye is currently on stuff like:
DIY Sound Group Titans
DIY Sound Group Intrusive 1899
JBL 5732
JBL 4722N
JTR 210RT
etc

Yeah, big boxes, high efficiency. I really like a wide dispersion pattern though, as I don't want to be too selfish with the sweet spot. ^_^

4 - Subs will probably be DIY. I want to do 4 in each corner and eq out the peaks. If I wasn't doing that, I'd seriously consider that freak in a box, JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
Ladeback likes this.

Last edited by chirpie; 07-17-2017 at 11:32 AM.
chirpie is offline  
post #230 of 385 Old 07-14-2017, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
No problem, we charge fairly reasonable fees. Our current standard rate is "one ticket to opening night screening, with soda, popcorn, and BunchaCrunch included".

Seriously tho, I dig your build, it's been on my Sub list for a bit now.
Thank you sir! Oddly, I had never heard of a BunchaCrunch, thought you made it up until I Googled it. ^_^



As for the rest of the basement outside the theater room, I keep mucking with how to spend the space. I would LOVE to kill the spare bedroom down there, but the wife wants it in. Seems silly to me, since we're going to have 2 empty bedrooms on the second floor of the house in about a year and a half. I blame myself for joking about turning the basement into an AirBnB location in the future. Ah well. ^_^

So here's where the layout stands at the moment. (Yes, 29 versions later. LOL) The biggest flaw to me is the bathroom shower is small (36x36) but the truth is no one's gonna use it. I don't THINK the lobby area for the theater room is too narrow. Yeah, one can always wish for bigger, but I think it shouldn't give too much of a cattle car feeling. Right now I'm thinking 3 LCD displays. One "Welcome to Cinema Midwest." One "coming soon." One "now playing." In that order as you walk to the room.

Eagle eye people will notice that the 100 amp panel that the electrician installed will need to be moved almost a foot over. That should be easy enough. Questions, comments, queries welcomed.



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan-29-labeled.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	2236241   Click image for larger version

Name:	lobby-detail.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2236281  
chirpie is offline  
post #231 of 385 Old 07-14-2017, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Thank you sir! Oddly, I had never heard of a BunchaCrunch, thought you made it up until I Googled it. ^_^



As for the rest of the basement outside the theater room, I keep mucking with how to spend the space. I would LOVE to kill the spare bedroom down there, but the wife wants it in. Seems silly to me, since we're going to have 2 empty bedrooms on the second floor of the house in about a year and a half. I blame myself for joking about turning the basement into an AirBnB location in the future. Ah well. ^_^

So here's where the layout stands at the moment. (Yes, 29 versions later. LOL) The biggest flaw to me is the bathroom shower is small (36x36) but the truth is no one's gonna use it. I don't THINK the lobby area for the theater room is too narrow. Yeah, one can always wish for bigger, but I think it shouldn't give too much of a cattle car feeling. Right now I'm thinking 3 LCD displays. One "Welcome to Cinema Midwest." One "coming soon." One "now playing." In that order as you walk to the room.

Eagle eye people will notice that the 100 amp panel that the electrician installed will need to be moved almost a foot over. That should be easy enough. Questions, comments, queries welcomed.



Ryan, are the drains in for the bathroom? I take it they are. What is the size? Mine in the basement is 6x9 and I have room for a 30x60 shower like on he end where yours would be, then the WC next to it,then a sink. Do you have room to do that? Looks pretty good and my wife is kind of liking my idea of a lobby into our theater now.

I didn't realize it was going to take that long to build your theater. I know by then there will be a bunch more choices for projectors, but don't you need to figure out where to run power and HDMI to? I got approval to by a better projector, because of the price, but still not the one I wanted. The one I wanted I can't afford especially now that the wife wants the whole basement finished. So going to compromise for now so I can maybe have something done by the super bowl. Fingers crossed.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #232 of 385 Old 07-15-2017, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SC
Posts: 2,853
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Is the rectangle to the right of the theater entry unusable?

At first glance it seems like a lot of awkward dead space to get to the theater. I understand why you put the jogs in the bath wall but the framing seems overly complicated.

Why not just make a vestibule to the theater with the second door being inline with the rack (continue that wall line to the foundation). You really lose nothing. That would give you the opportunity to make both the bath and the server room deeper and line the walls up with the mechanical room. Then you could fit a larger shower.

I would switch the mechanical to a 2/6 outswing, the bath to a 2/0 inswing. I would probably do an inswing on the server room too, with seals. Putting a pocket door on a mechanical room is ballin'

Tim

Last edited by Mr.Tim; 07-15-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Mr.Tim is offline  
post #233 of 385 Old 07-15-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,514
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Given the the magnitude of your theater/home is one rack going to be enough?

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is offline  
post #234 of 385 Old 07-15-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brazensol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 1,647
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 587
After paying $900.00 for the sub-panel the contractor has zero rights to complain.
Jive Turkey and Ladeback like this.
brazensol is offline  
post #235 of 385 Old 07-15-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,289
Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2186 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Is there a reason for the bedroom closet is laid out that way?

I'd also flip the door swing.

You could open up that entry more, and use one of the lcd panels to hide the electrical panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan-29b.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	2238553  
Mr.Tim likes this.
Tedd is offline  
post #236 of 385 Old 07-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
ZLTFUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Altoona, IA
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Hey Ryan,

Great looking progress so far. Sorry to hear about the builder being a douchecanoe. But we went through similar when I asked for my basement subpanel...so I can empathize.

Going back a few posts, I have a 25u open 4 post rack like the one you posted above...liked it alot but ended up picking up a 48u IBM rack with extra space in the rear. It takes up the same space as 2 25u racks but has considerably more space. Ier would recommend hitting up craigslist and look for used server racks. I got mine for $100.
And a lot of the time, they include power distribution.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
ZLTFUL is offline  
post #237 of 385 Old 07-16-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post
Is the rectangle to the right of the theater entry unusable?

At first glance it seems like a lot of awkward dead space to get to the theater. I understand why you put the jogs in the bath wall but the framing seems overly complicated.

Why not just make a vestibule to the theater with the second door being inline with the rack (continue that wall line to the foundation). You really lose nothing. That would give you the opportunity to make both the bath and the server room deeper and line the walls up with the mechanical room. Then you could fit a larger shower.

I would switch the mechanical to a 2/6 outswing, the bath to a 2/0 inswing. I would probably do an inswing on the server room too, with seals. Putting a pocket door on a mechanical room is ballin'

Tim
I think I remember @chirpie saying that he was going to have a mini split in that area possibly and it looks like it is a raceway for some of his wiring runs as well.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #238 of 385 Old 07-17-2017, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SC
Posts: 2,853
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 201
This is what I was thinking.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan-29-labeled.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	2241001  
Mr.Tim is offline  
post #239 of 385 Old 07-17-2017, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Dang guys, there's some really awesome feedback hiding in here! I can't keep up with ya'll! ^_^

So let's start with clarifying a few items...

1 - That "black" space to the right of the theater room entrance is an exterior storage shed. HOA doesn't allow any outbuildings so in order for us to have a shed it had to be attached to the house. As a side story, the builder ended up building the storage shed 2 stories tall! The second level is actually accessed at the back of the garage and is pretty danged nifty. That would be one happy accident from this project since the builder is eating the costs on it's construction. (Which he should, since we never actually asked for it or approved it! O_o)

2 - @Tedd I actually had the bedroom closet right where you marked it up in a previous version. The downside was there's no good spot to hang a tv for someone sitting in bed. The wife and I had a few discussions back and forth on Saturday and came up with a new layout that, while not perfect, is better. It also isn't quite as long (Almost 16ft for a spare bedroom in a basement is a bit much I think.) and that gives space back to the bar area.

3 - @Tedd Love the idea of better using that space behind the rack and the LCD panel swinging to show the service rack.

4 - @Ladeback You're close! The minisplit is in the theater room using up 2 ft by 8 feet of dead space from turning the room into a perfect rectangle. I do need more space than Tedd's mock up to put in a 2 post rack. (I did a rough mockup guess of all components and the 2 post will be needed for "overspill." I'm currently thinking patch panel, gig switch, philips hue, class D shallow depth amps, etc.)

5 - @Waterboy77 You're right, it's not. I forgot to label the 2 post rack on my previous drawing that would have all shallow depth items. (Plus, a patch panel would be too messy looking for public consumption.)

5 - @Mr.Tim I'm holding onto this idea as well. The big advantage of this idea is more space to maneuver to service things. The disadvantage is there's a door right on top of door to open plus if there's ever something long that needs to be moved into the theater room in the future, there's not a whole lot of corner room to turn on.

Having said all that, I've come up with an updated mutated compromise idea of a few ideas thrown out here. See attached. It mutates a few ideas and I think better uses the space. Again I really appreciate the feedback!



- Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan-v32-labeled.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	2241265  
Ladeback likes this.
chirpie is offline  
post #240 of 385 Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SC
Posts: 2,853
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Vestibule is similar to what @mcasio did. Here's an image from his thread:



I would still line up that wall with the mechanical room.
chirpie likes this.
Mr.Tim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off