It's That Time HT2.0 From JTR to Quested with Altitude32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 10-14-2016, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 217
It's That Time HT2.0 From JTR to Quested with Altitude32

Final room specs 35’x18’x10’ before baffle wall setup as a 11.x.6.

HT2.0 Equipment List

LCR- 3 Custom Quested LT20s with Star Quad Cables

Widths- 2 Quested LT10s

Surrounds- 6(when finished)Passive Quested Z8s

Tops- Undecided as of 9/2019

Subs- Always changing and growing but 10 sealed 21”ers as of 9/2019

LCR Amps- 2 Quested AP950s 240V, 1 Quested AP2800 240V, and 3 NCore Hypex 500 monoblocks in a custom rack mount chassis 110V

Surround Amps- QSC PLD 4.3 110V and 2 QSC PLX 3602s 110V (I may change these but the PLD series sounds rather nice for the price)

Tops Amps- Undecided

Sub Amps- 2 FP10K Qs 240V, one channel of the AP2800 240V, and a QSC 2402 110V

Projector- Sony VW1100es 4K

Screen- Stewart 13’ Wide Scope 1.5gain MicroPerf

PreAmp- Trinnov Altitude32 16/24 (will upgrade)

Lighting- Lutron Grafik Eye (still adding LEDs)

Rack- Mid Atlantic Slim Series

XLR- Star Quad Custom

HDMI-

BluRay Player- OPPO

Satellite- DirecTv

4K Player-

BACK STORY AND PREQUEL TO THEATER BUILD

My last build started off so good and I was ready to share every step of the way throughout the process. It was a ground up build with free reign on size, shape, color, etc... After talking with the Erksine Group I decided on a rough size which they provided a simple layout and treatment plan which incorporated a baffle wall. The finished room with 5/8" drywall ended up at 35'x18'x10'. I wired for a 9.1 system, bought a 13' wide 2.35 Stewart 1.5 microperfed screen, and a Sony VW1100es.

I was tempted to use sound proofing measures but I knew containing all the bass was going to be an endless battle. So, the next logical thing to do was construct the room so that it would be rattle free. I used over 10x the amount of screws and plenty of glue everywhere possible. This ended up working great! Everyone knows what it's like jumping up into the seat of a high spl vehicle ready to hear some ear splitting bass but as soon as the volume knob is raised all sorts of cabin artifacts totally ruin the experience. The louder the volume knob is raised the more [email protected] is falling apart.

I was very surprised and happy with the rattle proof room but after a while I started wishing there was that lower noise floor accosiated with a sound proofed room. It's something that I would do over if I could physically do it myself but with plans of 4 IB manifolds in the ceiling I can't bring myself to even realistically think about it. Now if I could place another layer of wood/drywall on top of what is already in place with the goal of "only" lowering the noise floor then I would at minimum consider how much trouble it would be to carry out.

The front wall consists of the JTR888 LCRs, Slanted 8 heights, and 10 21" subs. The subs are very loud and I don't need any more output per se but I would like an extremely better frequency response throughout the entire theater. I've also had issues with 3 of the Mach5 FTW 21 subs and the way they are mounted requires taking apart the false screen wall, getting 3-4 guys to pull out the huge 4 driver cabinet to take them out. So needless to say I will never be using a Mach5 sub in any similar location.

Speaking of issues. My last build was running smoothly up until the time to start planning the fabric panels when out of nowhere one thing after another just kept going wrong. Everything from something small to a lightning strike that followed all my Cat cable destroying everything within its path. At that point I literally shut the theater down and didn't even walk into it for over a year at one point. I decided that if I was going to start putting it back together I was atleast going to implement 3D sound at the same time. So I kept my eye on the manufacturers just waiting for ATMOS restrictions to be lifted to no avail. So I was like in a waiting game and wasn't giving in until I could have 3D sound.

After a couple years had passed my daughter (9yrs old) begged me to watch a movie in the theater and I told her that if I could figure out a way to get it going that she could. My Denon 4311 was about 3/4 fried, didn't have any front panel LED display, and only who knows how many inputs/outputs worked. My windows CPU I had for my Minidsp was toast since it was hooked up to the Ethernet when the strike hit so I had to unhook that as well. I still haven't even checked to see if the 10x10hd is fried or not since just recently bought a new Windows laptop. Well. I managed to get the theater going in a not so great sounding way since had to use sub amps to run surrounds lol but it was working and it made her day. Not only did it make her day but our 4 yr old son (who had no recollection of the theater) and our 2 yr old daughter loved it too.

All that made me feel like I'd been keeping them from fun memories they could be sharing together and also sparked that tiny wick I had always held onto throughout all the bad experiences my previous build ended with. My wife knew I wanted the Altitude32 but just didn't want to spend the money since it could go towards vacations, college savings, or any other avenue oriented with the family in mind. But when she saw me light back up after over 2 years of saying screw that theater she said why don't you just get it since you will be waiting forever on the restrictions to be lifted. I was back in the game and as excited as I had been in a long time.

That weekend we went to bestbuy and bought a cheap 4K AVR, Samsung UHD player, and a handful of UHD movies. Once I got everything hooked up I felt like a fool for waiting so long since even my wife could tell a huge difference in the picture quality. Sure it's not OLED but it's dang good. She wants a 65" OLED to replace our 80" flat panel in one of our living rooms lol.

With the OK to use some of my extra money from a property sale to purchase the Altitude32 I had started getting back on AVS constantly. (I had moved to watch forums, tractor forums, and fishing forums). I bought an Anthem AVM 60 to hold me over until the Altitude32 gets its boards upgraded. My whole HT view started to gradually change from wanting the loudest Mains, surrounds, and subs to wanting the clearest fatigue free speakers while seeking that compromise of also needing headroom above reference in my large room.

This change in thinking totally threw out compression drivers unless I demoed them in multiple locations (like JBL M2s). I also wanted to stay away from any sonic signatures like horns. Many know once you throw out compression drivers and horns the selection for high spl gets very very limited. I had heard so many good things about the JBLs that I knew I couldn't rule them out. The Alcons ProRibbons are one of the loudest ribbon speakers if not the loudest ribbon speaker so they got my attention. And, Quested AMT based mains with ribbon based surrounds had me wanting to learn more about them as well.

With JBL, Alcons, and Quested being my main three contenders I felt confident I was heading in the correct direction for clear, no distortion, fatigue free, totally transparent sound but also loud enough to scratch that itch of my need for extreme SPLs. There were a few other companies that made the short list but between lack of support here and price they slowly dropped of the list.

I talked my wife into going to CEDIA to hear the Altitude, Alcons, and the JBL booth. I had already bought a pair of Quested LT10s to demo at home before going to CEDIA way we could really focus on which direction we could both afford and prefer. I like everything I heard and mostly everything I saw at CEDIA so that was great for both of us getting to have that experience. One thing we both 100% agreed about was the JVC PJ. It was beautiful! I'm not a brand loyalist by any means and have an older JVC 1080P PJ so was quite surprised she noticed how well it looked when seeing so many great PJs throughout the day.

I really liked the Alcons and JBLs but felt the JBLs had a signature to them in a way. They didn't sound like horns by any means but there was something that I could just pick up on. I talked to the Regional Sales Manager for Alcons about their proprietary amps that are required for each of their speakers and if he thought they could ever move away from that even if it was just for the surrounds since I completely understood the advantage they provide to the screen speakers. He didn't act like it would ever happen so that pretty much narrowed down our decision to JBLs and Questeds.

Since the M2s are also intertangled with JBLs processing systems that made them a little higher than the Questeds but not by enough to throw them out like the much higher Alcons. We aren't wealthy by any means and both work hard for our money so that we can have some left over after paying all the bills but my wife makes a lot more than me so it's kinda hard at times to spend a huge amount of our money since I know she works very hard for it 24/7 as a physician. So my next step was to talk to Walter (Cineramax's audio calibrator) when CEDIA was winding down. He's owned gobs of speakers and even calibrated more not to mention he has owned both the Questeds and JBLs for long enough periods of time to give his very opinionated view between them. Most of Questeds cinema speakers are 2way designs but he thinks the triple active LT20s are the best he's had in his room with a feeling that they will even match the larger Alcons when calibrated correctly.

So after all that I pretty much left the decision up to my wife since either way we went would have been great. Pretty much would have been splitting hairs since the Altitude could get rid of that signature I explained to Walter. These screen speakers are my 6yr anniversary gift, bday, and xmax gift this year. She chose 3 triple active star quad cabled LT20s LCRs with 2 Quested AP950-2 and 1 Quested AP2800-4 240v amps and 2 passive LT10s as screen heights. We still need to get an amp for the AMTs on the LT20s and most likely a Quested amp for the LT10s. I will have to see if I can tell a difference between my QSC PLX3602 and the AP950-2 before making that decision.

Ok. I don't want to lose what I've typed on this phone so will stop here for now but hope to have some help creating this HT2.0.

Here are some pictures before demolition starts

One of the major renovations will be the use of diffusion panels instead of DIY QUEST panel knockoffs which will require quite a bit of wall space. The two design scenarios I'm currently considering are either staggered absorption and diffusion or slotted diffusion over top of absorption. Some tube traps of 1/2, corner, and full round will most likely be used in specific places and am even thinking about using some membrane traps with carbon for desired frequency control. Between those two forms of bass treatments and my engineered riser trap I think 100-150hz on down should be covered with those products. I plan on making a table of contents for these specific things way it's much easier to navigate. I really enjoy threads that incorporate those.

The greatly increased amount of diffusion and other treatments will require me to narrow my seating rows from 4 seats to 3 seats which gives a proper MLP anyway lol. I honestly don't want to take the carpet up and change any of the riser/step patterns even though they can be very beautiful and creative. I'm more focused on pure sound from the movie with the lights off. If some of the diffusers are too deep for a proper air gap between their face and the fabric then they may end up being part of the room's character. That's why I always tell people in the design stage to make the walls as wide as possible and ceiling as high as possible. Diffusion doesn't work optimally with acoustic fabric shoved up against it and some bass traps can be rather large.

My other goal is to have some sort of automation that is EASY for the average Joe to incorporate. I have two Grafikeye 6 zone panels and a Front Point security system that can use some third party hardware for thermostat, door locks, and maybe even shades/blinds but I'd like to use something that I can either hook up really easily or pay someone to come hookup without breaking the bank. I don't know how to write code or anything remotely close. I ran all the wires from my TVs, Grafikeyes, and media closet to use iRule but never bought the gateways and tried to hook it all up. It just seemed a little intemidating to me. My media closet/rack is outside the theater so this is very important. Any and all ideas, thoughts, suggestions welcome as I also posted in that sub forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2136.jpg
Views:	996
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1716329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2138.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1716353  
NanPatterson and bscool like this.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 09-28-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 10-14-2016, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserved
post #3 of 51 Old 10-14-2016, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

"Reserved" for later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 10-14-2016, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Holding spot. Silly double post rules
post #5 of 51 Old 10-14-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
I'm looking forward to see the development of this rebuild.

Are you going for the 16 or 24 channel Altitude32?

Also any plans for preventing future destruction caused by lightning strike? It seems quite a few people here on AVS have had their HT rooms fried.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #6 of 51 Old 10-14-2016, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
I'm looking forward to see the development of this rebuild.

Are you going for the 16 or 24 channel Altitude32?

Also any plans for preventing future destruction caused by lightning strike? It seems quite a few people here on AVS have had their HT rooms fried.
I will either start with the 16 or 24 and upgrade as money allows to fill the room with speakers.

Yea. I'm on fiber now so no Cat cable should be vernurable unless it's a direct hit to the actual house. Have whole home surge protector for everything else but will be doubling up everywhere possible ;-)
Mashie Saldana likes this.
post #7 of 51 Old 10-19-2016, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok. Custom Questeds are on their way from Austria along with the 2-AP950-2s and AP2800-4

That is exciting but am needing help with their optimal setup location please? They claim to be 40*x100* so how should I toe them with three rows of seating? First row is 12.5' then 6.5' back for each of the next rows when reclined.

A curved type of wall so that the LCR are all equal distances from the center seat?

Any help would be great!

Alex
post #8 of 51 Old 10-19-2016, 11:58 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5115
post #9 of 51 Old 10-19-2016, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I'm here!

How can I help?
Just your general expertise ;-)

Right now I'm trying to determine how to place the fully triple active LT20s in a baffle all as LCRs with 2 passive LT10s as heights. Like how much toe for the 20s and if I should also toe and angle the 10s as well and how much? The speced dispersion is 100x40 on them.

Also should I use a cabinet within a cabinet design for the speakers or just have the baffle wall surround the cabinets as close as possible like my previous baffle wall designed by DE. The entire rear chamber is treated except the actual back side of the baffle wall itself. 2 layers of Linacoustic with plastic in between.

This is the first step which I need to get figured out before starting to build the wall. I could always skip the baffle wall if that would be better but don't know what to do with all the treatments behind the screen if choose this route. I assume they could just be left in place and add some bass traps but not positive.
post #10 of 51 Old 11-02-2016, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I've been having some issues getting the LT20s and amps shipped from Austria but finally have the pickup order scheduled so fingers crossed everything else goes smooth.

Ok. I've been really thinking about my back row and how important it will be for my family and guests as the years progress with children growing older. We have three children spread out by about 3 years each and can only imagine the fighting limited seating could cause but at the same time it could also work to each of their advantage if they had to wait their turn with fewer seats.

I've been thinking about this because of my projector mount being just behind the 2nd row of seating (main row). If I could push the PJ back further and enclose it that would help the noise floor and also keep it out of sight. This option would allow for quite a bit more room treatments and possibly even a mini projector room/closet. Here is my currently planned layout.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2143.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1749897  
post #11 of 51 Old 11-05-2016, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Heya Alex......didn't mean to intrude in your thread but have been sending you PMs regarding the Slanted 8s but I don't think they are getting through or I'm not receiving any. Did you happen to get any?

JVC X550R /Panny UB820/GIK treatments
Elunevision 140" 2.35
Marantz AV8802a/Wyred4Sound 7-channel amp
Outlaw 5000/ 4 JBL 328Cs for Atmos/ 7.2.4 Atmos
JTR 3TX LCRs/Single8 HT-LP surrounds(4)/Dual Pierce/Speakerpower 21" subs
post #12 of 51 Old 11-20-2016, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well the process of importing speakers into the US from a non company is quite the process. I really wanted the custom three way active units from Walter and the amps that were matched to go with the drivers so figured it wouldn't be too awfully hard to do this ordeal.

Well after 3-4 weeks the packages have finally made it to the US and cleared customs and shipping only cost about $400 USD more than ordering directly from Quested. But I wouldn't have been able to get the same price nor the triple active versions most like since they come semi passive.

Now I'm just hoping they don't try delivering on Wednesday before Thanksgiving since I'll be out of town. I did send the UPS agent that handled my case a letter with the overnight check I had to mail before they would ship even though I had asked multiple times how I pay and would like to pay asap to avoid any more delays. Yea that is neither here nor there with UPS I guess. A 3-5 day air freight shipping estimate has been far from it. Some little details they fail to mention until the last meniute during each phase has held it up over and over again.

But, maybe we are actually getting somewhere now!

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 11-21-2016 at 12:55 PM.
post #13 of 51 Old 11-20-2016, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Sub'd. With the EPIC HT you had, moving up/making it better will be a sight to see! Will be interesting to see how you integrate all the new equipment. Good luck!
post #14 of 51 Old 11-20-2016, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 574
sub'ed as well - sounds like there might be some gear for sale here shortly. Let me know...I might be interested in some of the speakers you are parting with. , of course if sparky didn't take 'em out.

Looking forward to the build. Sounds like that little wick of a fire got real big real quick ! Dropping some coin on some gear. Nice to hear!
BTW.. Welcome back to the HT itch!

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #15 of 51 Old 11-21-2016, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
sub'ed as well - sounds like there might be some gear for sale here shortly. Let me know...I might be interested in some of the speakers you are parting with. , of course if sparky didn't take 'em out.

Looking forward to the build. Sounds like that little wick of a fire got real big real quick ! Dropping some coin on some gear. Nice to hear!
BTW.. Welcome back to the HT itch!

I have what's left posted in the classifieds. Already sold 4 S8s but still three T8s and possibly two Slanted 8s left. A member has been talking to me about buying them for a month and if he doesn't take them as soon as I pull the baffle wall down then they will be left as well.

3 Custom LT20s, two AP950s, and the AP2800 for the low end are all on their way for tomorrow delivery. YAY!!! HT.2.0 to commence after Thanksgiving!
Frohlich likes this.
post #16 of 51 Old 11-21-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
Sounds like it is going to be a heck of a room. I am in Cincinnati..might need to find a reason to drive to Murray, KY when this is all said and done
audiovideoholic likes this.
post #17 of 51 Old 11-21-2016, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelddd View Post
Sub'd. With the EPIC HT you had, moving up/making it better will be a sight to see! Will be interesting to see how you integrate all the new equipment. Good luck!
Thanks for the incouraging comments!

Yea I'm going to need help with some kind of total control since I don't have a clue how to do anything more than a smart remote. We have the best harmony remote out there and it has worked great in our living room. My wife and I had it hooked up with all the macros within an hour so if all else fails then we can use a repeater and fall back on another Harmony I guess. Surely there is a way to program lighting with it to the Grafikeye?

The Altitude will be calibrated by Walter, the acousticician, I bought the new gear from for the major upgrade. I will just manually calibrate it until I can afford to get all the speakers and treatments in place then have him fly in for the last ultimate deal.
post #18 of 51 Old 11-21-2016, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My main conundrum right now is figuring out my lighting configuration. Since my diffusers and other treatment panels will be so deep I doubt I'll be able to cover them with fabric so want to use a lighting technique called Wall Grazing. It kinda washes the wall with one continuous beam of light which would show off the nice diffusers without any scalloping effects, but I'm having issues figuring out how to do this without buying really expensive housing or placing fixtures into the ceiling. I want to build or use a track type housing that will be hidden by fabric track on the underside of my soffit so that it shines straight down the entire wall. Some new AC LED strip lights are very bright and can run up to 150' continuously so hoping that will work. But any and all ideas are welcome!!!
post #19 of 51 Old 11-21-2016, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Sounds like it is going to be a heck of a room. I am in Cincinnati..might need to find a reason to drive to Murray, KY when this is all said and done

I make that drive every time I take my daughter to meet her mom that lives up in Cleveland. It's about 4.5 hours. More than welcome to come down and check it out.
post #20 of 51 Old 11-21-2016, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I also got a bit of information from Walter regarding toe with the LT20s. He said to aim them aprox 1-1.5m behind the MLP so what should I do with the height speakers if can fit them on the screen baffle wall? Should I toe them for the same direction I assume, both down and angled? That will require some tricky framing without my REVIT software up and running but guess I can figure it out close enough. If anyone has any free time to draw that up I sure wouldn't just take it as a helpful gesture. I'd make it worth your time. I'm going to have to break out my drafting board otherwise lol.
post #21 of 51 Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here are some of the lighting ideas I'm needing any and all help with as possible.

This first picture is of a Wall Grazing housing built into a ceiling but I was thinking of using LED strip lights and maybe a corner channel track and modify the lens and modify my fabric panel so that the panel acts similar to that lower 2" portion which keeps the light from spraying away from the wall.

Here is an example of Wall Grazing against stone wall. My walls will mostly be wooden diffusion so Grazing would be preferred over Wahing. Note the lack of light scalloping which is what I'm after.

The light needs to be close enough to the wall (rough estimate under 12") and bright enough to Graze the wall to the floor which in my case shouldn't be the difficult part.

I want to use my soffits to attach the lights to but use two separate fabricmate panels to hide them in like a track. Have the panel closetst to the wall about 1.5"-2" thick and then have the outer panel 3"-4" so that it's hidden well enough. Then I would think adding that slight overhang like pictured above to keep the beam width on the wall and down only. Hope that made a visual sense so to speak.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2745.JPG
Views:	661
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1783561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2859.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	1783569  

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 11-21-2016 at 07:41 PM.
post #22 of 51 Old 11-21-2016, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My wife and I were talking last night about my overall design and whether I should mix in "A LOT" of dark colored wooden diffusion and other dark wooden elements even though I plan on using quite a bit of darker colors when need to use fabricmate systems just to hide unoccupied space being used with treatments. The front wall will be a floating screen(back lit with LED) within a black shadow box. Shadow box will extend out into the room aprox 3'-5' then wooden treatments on side walls and speakers hung by floating types of mounts.

I just don't know about using the dark wooden treatments since the ceiling treatments will all be black and even some of the side wall treatments will be black. With all that said I love looking at studios with all the wooden treatments and feel that I can merge them both together in a edgy more modern styled theater.

What do you all think?

Dark Cherry, Walnut, or Mahagony wooden treatments mixed with black treatments

All black painted treatments with only other color coming from some fabric panels

Any opinions please vote
post #23 of 51 Old 11-22-2016, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

All kinds of Quested Goodness!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2861.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	1784129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2862.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	1784153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2863.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	1784161  
NanPatterson likes this.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 11-22-2016 at 10:30 AM.
post #24 of 51 Old 11-22-2016, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Unboxing !!!
post #25 of 51 Old 12-02-2016, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I posted a thread about needing help with lighting control and options but wanted to post here as well if anyone is following along.

I have a 6 zone grafikeye in the theater and would like to run 3 or 4 circuits of 120v (RBG if possible with controlling scene settings easily) strip lights that can run 150' independently. I don't know what type of remote or app would allow me to control the Grafikeye, PJ, my rack equipment, and the RBG colors is don't go with standard colors.

I was originally planning on using Irule when started HT1.0 but honestly don't think I can figure out all the hardware and write the controls. I would pay someone to do something like this obviously but I don't have anyone around here that does installs like this-neither lighting or theaters moreless intergrating them into one.

Since I'm at a stage where I can add more wiring I feel that I need to get this planned out. I have a 4 conductor wire ran from the Grafikeye gang box to the rack closet but that is it. What all should I run from the PJ to the rack room? Will wire and cat6 do for IR, RF, and wifi or should I add like multiple of both? I have 2 cat6 cables ran from PJ to front wall for the 3D IR blaster but it doesn't work that great so would like to switch over to RF for 3D glasses too on the Sony VW1100es.

So if anyone can help I would be so greatful as I'm completely lost on intergrating this stuff. The RGB LED strip lighting color control isn't all that important as far as being able to change the colors on the fly without going through multiple apps or controls as long as I can have a few presets that will automatically call up or dim down what scene I'm wanting. Each set of strip lights is set up to just plug into the outlet which is dedicated to its own zone on the Grafikeye as of right now. In my media room I have a circuit which will be hard wired on a totally separate Grafikeye is the only reason I bring it up.

Thanks for looking!
Alex
post #26 of 51 Old 12-02-2016, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Will have U boxing pics soon guys! Those LT20s were some big dudes for twin 10" speaker cabs. One was in its own box and the other two were in one single box which was even work with the dolly lol.

I've also made up my mind on how I'm going to power the screen speakers. Im going to use 220v amps for each so that they get as much clean voltage as possible. Im going to run the Quested amps on a surge protector power strip and then run whatever amp I end up powering the LT10 height speakers off of one of the circuits I'm using with a LG FP10000Q. I've never heard a class A-B amp or tube amp so really curious to how they will sound.
post #27 of 51 Old 12-16-2016, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well no new pictures yet as they are still all boxed up since haven't had any family members that could make it over to take down the screen yet and have been telling a buyer of the S8s soon for way too long now and feel bad. It's just impossible to take it down without help.

But the reason for a new post is that now I have a second Acoustical Engineer helping on the project. I hired Nyal Mellor to help me with all the small stuff I don't quite understand about diffusion pretty much and whatever other questions arise. He knows his stuff so am rather excited to bring him aboard on my HT2.0 project.

I also have a secret screen endeavor in the works that has to stay hush hush for now even though I'm betting it will be well out of my league financially. But it would be nice to have an IMAX-like screen that is super bright and fully masked-wall to Wall and ceiling to ceiling ;-). That would be well worth getting rid of my third row of recliners for sure. It might require some joist modifications to raise the ceiling for the rear of the room but a good pair of framers could knock it out in a day or two. I don't know how much room I have to mess with up in the attic to raise them up but I'm sure there is a way for the center most ceiling to be higher without too much obstruction of HT2.0 and speaker placements. Treatments could just be reused and moved around but keeping the Atmos speaker positions would need to be doable or it wouldn't be worth it since I still have room to get the same type of bright screen a few sizes larger than what I already have now. Maybe 15'-17' wide 2.40 would be a second option behind the IMAX-like ratio. But I'm still only dreaming here as I haven't seen the sticker price yet.

Has anyone used or have any knowledge in using slotted QRD diffusers with absorption behind them? That's one of the first things on my list to go over with Nyal. He prefers other methods of diffusion/scattering but I'm stuck on QRDs in all the locations I have room for them because they work exactly how they are supposed to work as long as there is enough space for them. That was my entire reasoning for HT2.0 other than Atmos. I removed columns and allocated 9"-12" of wall space around the entire room and shortened each row of seats to 3 from 4 wide. So I say bring on the QRDs in spades lol. They will hurt the pocketbook in finished oak or cherry but where they will be visible they will be finished wood.

Ok ramble over until the next update.

Happy Holidays everyone reading!

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 12-17-2016 at 11:55 AM.
post #28 of 51 Old 12-17-2016, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Did you buy your stuff from Dragon? I got my Speakers delivered with out issues and Dragon sorted out everything from shipping and room layout design from both Roger and Zahir.

BTW: 16 channel Processors are on the horizon and one of the insider told me MDS ( I think it is) is releasing new DSP Chips to Allow 16 channel processing. Their are news that 24 channel DSP are also under development.
post #29 of 51 Old 12-17-2016, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomaudio View Post
Did you buy your stuff from Dragon? I got my Speakers delivered with out issues and Dragon sorted out everything from shipping and room layout design from both Roger and Zahir.

BTW: 16 channel Processors are on the horizon and one of the insider told me MDS ( I think it is) is releasing new DSP Chips to Allow 16 channel processing. Their are news that 24 channel DSP are also under development.
I bought the two LT10s from him but the three LT20s are custom and came from an Acoustical Engineer that is friends with Roger.

Yea I've heard the same but I don't see it happening unless a company uses computer technology instead of chips because chips would mean all the big name AVR/PrePro companies would have to be onboard to pay their share of the restrictions lifting and they don't feel like there is enough money to be made in the plus 13 channel range to spend the money is what I've been told. I talked to quite a few reps at CEDIA and they all felt that way but whose to say they would know what's around the corner. I just know Trinnov and Datasat would get hurt pretty bad if chips were available to all the major companies. Their superior processing would still bring in customers but it wouldn't just be those that want more channels like it is now.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 12-17-2016 at 12:10 PM.
post #30 of 51 Old 12-17-2016, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Few processors within the next 3-6 months will be 16 channel capable :-) Its already in the making.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page