Return of the Pilgrim - HT 3.0 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-01-2016, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Return of the Pilgrim - HT 3.0

After a bit of a hiatus, enjoying my growing family and a multi-purpose rec room set up we are moving again and I will be lucky to have a dedicated room again. Well, that is the good news. The bad news is that it is smaller and near the kid's bedrooms. Oh, and its a square.

The house is new construction in the Houston area and we came along late enough that the builder will build it their way and I'll most likely immediately demo it and start again. If I take the easy way out I will just re-work the door and add drywall and green glue. Given the proximity to the kid's bedrooms I think I am more likely to guy the room, add clips and hat channel all around, insulate and double drywall with green glue (plus treat ceilings and floors). Its attic above, so I am not sure if I need to pull the ceiling down or just double that part up.

Assuming I do the full treatment my finished dimensions will be around 13' 3" by 13' 7". I am thinking one row of recliners, 4-5 seats spanning the back of the room and leaning towards a scope screen with either CIH or CIW masking panels and maybe the new epson with lens memory. I'd like to do an AT screen but I am not sure I have the room to get the fronts behind the screen. In the past I noodled with using some of the speakers meant to flank a flat screen as wall mounted which would keep the space behind the screen around 5 inches or so which may work out. I am thinking 5.1 - because the seats will butt the back wall (thus 7.1 would be lost) but I need to read up on the changes people are doing with Atmos (?) and the like.

Here is a layout of the floorplan (before I reduce it for sound isolation). I can't steal space from the adjoining spaces, before anyone asks.

Here is how the builder's model designed it. They put the mini riser in, which I may keep in the final to open up accessory seating options. I might flip the layout but with the doorway recessed a bit I think it works as they did it.

For now I am catching up on what has changed in AV and trying to figure out color scheme. My wife selected a dark gray carpet that we are planning to save and re-use. We close late December and I will hope to have the rebuild up and running before the summer heat hits. I will be hiring contractors for the work until the room is back together. I will DIY the decor, acoustic panels, hanging the projector, etc.

Can't wait to get back into a dedicated space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-01-2016, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Reserve 1
post #3 of 5 Old 11-01-2016, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Reserve 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-03-2016, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Whilst certainly on the smaller size, there's no reason this couldn't become a beautiful 'snug' space.

Being your third space, you've obviously got a handle on what needs to be considered. My only comment would be that, while an AT screen would be desirable (and certainly what I'd try to achieve), consideration needs to be given to your projector throw. An AT screen would bring the screen at least a foot, or more likely two, closer to the projector, so you may only have a throw distance of 10feet, or even less. It'd be worth checking what screen size any potential projector would give at that range, particularly if you intend going scope, as zoom sizes may become a factor.

Still, there are plenty of build threads showing what can be achieved in smaller spaces, one of my favourites is the theatre for Hobbits - and you have more room to play with than he did!

Best of luck!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-03-2016, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Dreamer View Post
Whilst certainly on the smaller size, there's no reason this couldn't become a beautiful 'snug' space.

Being your third space, you've obviously got a handle on what needs to be considered. My only comment would be that, while an AT screen would be desirable (and certainly what I'd try to achieve), consideration needs to be given to your projector throw.
If I did an AT screen I would use wall mount speakers and try to keep it below a foot for the AT screen. There are some speakers with cabinets in the 4-5" range for depth and then I'd need to put some room between the speaker face and the screen. Good point on throw though. I need to pull down the carton bale spreadsheet and work out the viewing angles for scope and 16x9. I love it to be on the edge of straining for the level of immersiveness but WAF plays a role. Once I have some screen sizes to play with I'll look at the PJ's a bit more. Thanks for the input.

Third time around I want my small "screening room" to be elegant and with few compromises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page