7Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 11-08-2016, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Red face Lucky Dog theater build

So it’s finally happening, I’m getting a home theater. My obsession started like many other peoples that I have read about on this thread, with a home theater in a box. The system was made by pioneer but I can’t remember the model number, was bought around 2002. Only thing I can remember about it was that the volume knob on the receiver moved when you turned it up and down with the remote. Kinda pointless I know but it’s the only receiver I regret getting rid of. Throughout the years I changed speakers and receivers a handful of times. Sold the pioneer system that I had upgraded with pioneer tower speakers so I could buy a new Sony system. This was my first hard lesson with audio equipment. I figured that newer and bigger meant better, big mistake. I remember hooking up the new system with one of my roommates and turning it on for the first time, pure disappointment. I thought something must have been wrong but nothing I did would make the huge Sony tower speakers sound near as good as my old smaller pioneer system. I even tried to buy the old one back but of course he was happy with his purchase.

The second phase of my addiction started when I went to visit my sister in Korea. I was hanging out with one of her friends and they took me to a place to watch movies that was much different than anything I had seen in the US. They call them DVD Bangs, just a small room with a projector that you watch the movie that you picked out. After seeing that I was on the hunt for a projector. This also happened to be the exact same time that Infocus was releasing the ScreenPlay 4805. It took me a little while but I was finally able to purchase that projector. Unfortunately/fortunately life happened and I moved to Las Vegas to start my career. Unfortunate for my home theater dreams but fortunate for me because I like the job and I’m still here 13 years later.

The home theater has always been in the back of my head but the time and circumstances just never seemed right until about three months ago. I had what I thought was a crazy idea, add a room onto my house. I figured that because I lived in town in a small community that it wouldn’t be possible but decided to research it anyways. Turns out my setbacks allow me to build a room that’s approximately 13’ x 14’ for my theater. The HOA approved the plans and the county is almost done approving the plans. I decided to use a contractor because it’s easier and I think they gave a fair price for the scope of the project. They will be doing everything except the carpet, paint, and baseboards.

List of equipment being used:

Receiver - Pioneer SC-1223-K, it’s what I have, upgrade plans are a Marantz sr6011 with an outlaw 5000 amp

Projector - JVC RS420

Screen – DIY Center Stage UF

Speakers – Klipsch Reference Premiere

Subs – probably 2 Klipsch R-115SW, I have thought about building 2 18’s but I don’t know.

OPPO 203

Roku 3

Xbox one s

Edit - 5/16/17 updated equipment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1776.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	1760737   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_theater.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1760745   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater 2.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1760753  

Last edited by Buddylee123; 05-16-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Update 12/6/16 - Build is about a week in. Framing should be started tomorrow. I should probably start buying my wire and cables.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	house start 1.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	518.5 KB
ID:	1812513  
post #3 of 34 Old 12-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 217
How long do you expect the build to take?
Can't wait to follow your process. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 12-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Looks like a fun project! No basements by you?
post #5 of 34 Old 12-06-2016, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4vu View Post
How long do you expect the build to take?
Can't wait to follow your process. Good luck!
The contractor said it would take six weeks. They are going to finish it down to the drywall and I will have to do the carpet, baseboards, and paint.
post #6 of 34 Old 12-06-2016, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Looks like a fun project! No basements by you?
Not really, they don't seem to be popular in Las Vegas.
post #7 of 34 Old 12-13-2016, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

12/13/16 Update

Purchased the Sony VPL-HW45ES – It’s on sale at Amazon for 1,798 if anyone is interested.

Purchased 500 feet of speaker wire

Purchased a roll of Carl’s blackout cloth so I can build a screen and start figuring out what screen size I want and what wall I want to put it on.

The framing is complete and the electrical is being installed. I know most people will think I’m crazy for putting the window in but we decided to do because we will probably sell the house at some point and it can’t be a bedroom without one. We also need the window because we are installing a swamp cooler and you need it in order to push the air through. I’m going to install a shutter on the outside so noise and light shouldn’t be an issue. Still not sure if I want to install isolation clips on the bedroom wall. I don’t ever see me getting it quiet enough that it wouldn’t be heard and we watch movies together most of the time anyways. I think a nice pair of headphones is a better investment for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	theater 4.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1827961   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater 2.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1827969   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater 1.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1827977   Click image for larger version

Name:	therater 3.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1827985  
post #8 of 34 Old 12-19-2016, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Question for everyone. I started to run all of the cables in the wall and I want to make sure that I don't miss anything. I have the speaker wire almost complete, ran extra just in case. I plan on running sub woofer cables to the mid point of each wall and my HDMI cable for the projector will come through the ceiling. Is there anything else that I should run in the wall? Maybe some more sub cable?
post #9 of 34 Old 12-19-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Question for everyone. I started to run all of the cables in the wall and I want to make sure that I don't miss anything. I have the speaker wire almost complete, ran extra just in case. I plan on running sub woofer cables to the mid point of each wall and my HDMI cable for the projector will come through the ceiling. Is there anything else that I should run in the wall? Maybe some more sub cable?
You might want to run an ethernet cable to your PJ if your networking stuff is close to your equipment rack. Might make it a little easier to control over network down the line if you decide to move that way.

For your subwoofer cables, what kind are you talking here? If it's coax, does that mean you are planning on having subs that have the amp built in? For each coax, you might want to run a speaker normal speaker wire, in case you decide to move to sub amps being in your rack, since coax expects line level.

I plan on running two speaker cables to my front stage (12awg) for my currently built subs, then 2 to the front of the riser, and then 2 in the back for potential sub expansion. Those could be in the form of actual subs, or bass shakers.

Can't remember what your atmos plans were/weren't, but might be worth running some wires to where those speakers might hypothetically be some day.
post #10 of 34 Old 12-19-2016, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
You might want to run an ethernet cable to your PJ if your networking stuff is close to your equipment rack. Might make it a little easier to control over network down the line if you decide to move that way.

For your subwoofer cables, what kind are you talking here? If it's coax, does that mean you are planning on having subs that have the amp built in? For each coax, you might want to run a speaker normal speaker wire, in case you decide to move to sub amps being in your rack, since coax expects line level.

I plan on running two speaker cables to my front stage (12awg) for my currently built subs, then 2 to the front of the riser, and then 2 in the back for potential sub expansion. Those could be in the form of actual subs, or bass shakers.

Can't remember what your atmos plans were/weren't, but might be worth running some wires to where those speakers might hypothetically be some day.
Thanks sigma, good idea, I will add speaker wire in addition to the coax that I am running for the subs. I will be using subs with built in amps for now but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead. I plan on adding ATMOS but I have access to the attic so I can add that when I get the money.
post #11 of 34 Old 12-19-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Nice job in integrating the theater into the design of the house. It should look like just another part of the house, as if it had always been there.

At the absolute minimum, I would definitely recommend running a large diameter conduit to the projector. You really never know what standard will emerge in the future. I would consider a minimum of 1.5" so that you will be able to fit in the necessary cables with their ends. It is somewhat unlikely that anything other than standard speaker wire, coax, or balanced XLR type cables will be needed for your speakers and subs, in the foreseeable future, but conduit is cheap and easy to install with your walls open. You really can't go wrong by running conduit to all possible speaker locations. Since you have easy access to the attic, at least run conduit from wherever your amp is, to inside the attic, so that you can get the cables into the attic area when the time comes.
unretarded likes this.
post #12 of 34 Old 12-19-2016, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveClement View Post
Nice job in integrating the theater into the design of the house. It should look like just another part of the house, as if it had always been there.

At the absolute minimum, I would definitely recommend running a large diameter conduit to the projector. You really never know what standard will emerge in the future. I would consider a minimum of 1.5" so that you will be able to fit in the necessary cables with their ends. It is somewhat unlikely that anything other than standard speaker wire, coax, or balanced XLR type cables will be needed for your speakers and subs, in the foreseeable future, but conduit is cheap and easy to install with your walls open. You really can't go wrong by running conduit to all possible speaker locations. Since you have easy access to the attic, at least run conduit from wherever your amp is, to inside the attic, so that you can get the cables into the attic area when the time comes.
Thanks Dave, I will check out some conduit. I miss the times when we didn't have a new HDMI or DisplayPort standard every year.
post #13 of 34 Old 12-20-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave, I will check out some conduit. I miss the times when we didn't have a new HDMI or DisplayPort standard every year.

I'm with you. I've been involved with AV since the days of 16mm movie projectors and a lot has changed. But be careful of what you wish for though. The reality is that all of the old standards still exist and work just as well today as they day that they were invented. You can still run composite video over a single coax cable and it will give you a low res video image. In color, no less! You can still run analog RGB or component video over multiple coax cables up to 1080p and in many ways it works better than digital. No issues with HDCP and distribution to multiple displays can be much easier.

But if you want that which is newer and better, new standards are inevitable. Backwards compatibility is usually maintained whenever possible, but moving forward usually involves cutting ties with the past and moving forward in a new directions. The ultimate "open standard" is conduit. You can use it for just about anything: analog, digital, optical fiber, IP based networking, or whatever they come up with next!
post #14 of 34 Old 12-20-2016, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah glad Dave mentioned that. Completely skipped my mind. Definitely important to have if there isn't a direct path to PJ.
post #15 of 34 Old 12-22-2016, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm with you. I've been involved with AV since the days of 16mm movie projectors and a lot has changed. But be careful of what you wish for though. The reality is that all of the old standards still exist and work just as well today as they day that they were invented. You can still run composite video over a single coax cable and it will give you a low res video image. In color, no less! You can still run analog RGB or component video over multiple coax cables up to 1080p and in many ways it works better than digital. No issues with HDCP and distribution to multiple displays can be much easier.

But if you want that which is newer and better, new standards are inevitable. Backwards compatibility is usually maintained whenever possible, but moving forward usually involves cutting ties with the past and moving forward in a new directions. The ultimate "open standard" is conduit. You can use it for just about anything: analog, digital, optical fiber, IP based networking, or whatever they come up with next!
I agree, maybe I just need more money and then it wouldn't bother me as much. Another question for all of you. I plan on using an acoustically transparent screen with the left, center, and right channel speakers behind the screen because I don't really have to room to separate the left and right speakers. Will this work?
post #16 of 34 Old 12-22-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Yeah glad Dave mentioned that. Completely skipped my mind. Definitely important to have if there isn't a direct path to PJ.
It should go without saying, but I suppose a reminder wouldn't hurt, don't forget about power for the projector.
post #17 of 34 Old 12-22-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree, maybe I just need more money and then it wouldn't bother me as much. Another question for all of you. I plan on using an acoustically transparent screen with the left, center, and right channel speakers behind the screen because I don't really have to room to separate the left and right speakers. Will this work?
Conduit is cheap, and well worth the small price. Lowes has 100' rolls of 3/4" flexible conduit on sale for under $25 right now. https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-Ent-...-75-in/3136921 That is sufficient for speaker wire and compared to the rest of the money that you are spending on the remodel, your conduit cost will be a rounding error. I'd recommend bigger conduit, at least 1-1/2" for anywhere that you are running video or other types of cable that have larger ends to deal with.

Yes, that is one of the main benefits of an AT screen, maximizing the width of the screen, while still fitting in the speakers. You can get all of the speakers at the optimum height (ear level) and you can keep the center speaker at the same level (instead of above or below the screen).

Last edited by DaveClement; 12-22-2016 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added comments about conduit.
post #18 of 34 Old 12-22-2016, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Conduit is cheap, and well worth the small price. Lowes has 100' rolls of 3/4" flexible conduit on sale for under $25 right now. https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-Ent-...-75-in/3136921 That is sufficient for speaker wire and compared to the rest of the money that you are spending on the remodel, your conduit cost will be a rounding error. I'd recommend bigger conduit, at least 1-1/2" for anywhere that you are running video or other types of cable that have larger ends to deal with.

Yes, that is one of the main benefits of an AT screen, maximizing the width of the screen, while still fitting in the speakers. You can get all of the speakers at the optimum height (ear level) and you can keep the center speaker at the same level (instead of above or below the screen).
Thanks again for the help, that conduit seems perfect for what I need to do.
post #19 of 34 Old 01-03-2017, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A few updates. Played around with the projector and will probably go with a 100 inch screen from a 9 feet viewing distance. Mini split has been mostly installed and they are about to start on the stucco on the outside. Picked up some Klipsch R-5650-S II in wall speakers for my surrounds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3844.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	1871033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3848.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	1871041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3773.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1871049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3776.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1871057  
post #20 of 34 Old 01-12-2017, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Returned the Sony 45es, plan on getting the JVC RS420 now that it has a gaming mode and I want the better black levels. The Drywall is up, all 5/8 and the bedroom wall is two layers with Green Glue in the middle. I have never used Green Glue before but it seems to make a big difference even though I didn’t use clips. I have decided to get a Elunevision Reference Studio AudioWeave 4K 2.35.1 110 inch screen instead of the Silver Ticket 100 inch 16:9 screen. We picked out Wholehearted II Mocha Ice Twist carpet, it’s 15 feet wide so we don’t have to seam it together. Going with black paint for the ceiling and screen wall, the others will be dark gray. The contractor said they should be all completed in about a week.

The pictures with the fireplace and cat tree are where they had to change my living room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_file5.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1891777   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_file4.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	1891785   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_file3.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1891793   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_file2.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1891801   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_file1.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1891809  

Name:	thumbnail_file.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1891817  
post #21 of 34 Old 01-23-2017, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Getting close. Tricorn black on the ceiling and screen wall, Peppercorn on the other walls. Carpet should be installed in about a week. I'm currently gathering samples of AT screen material and will test them as soon as I get the projector. I haven't received the V6 material yet but it looks like it will be that or Center Stage UF. Ill try to get some better pictures as soon as the carpet is installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4021.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1914785  
sigma722 likes this.
post #22 of 34 Old 01-23-2017, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Questions on treating my front wall. I will be using treatments from GIK but they didn’t recommend anything for the front wall except the soffit traps in the corner. Should I treat the front wall or will that make the room too dead? I know there is a limit to how much adsorption you should have and it seems like I’m close already. I listed the items below that GIK recommended. The room will also have some fluffy carpet with a ½ memory foam pad. Thanks

4 Soffit Traps – 2 with range limiter (bottom) and 2 full range (top)
3 Alpha 6A – 1 Dimensional – Muslin Backs
4 244 panels – 2 each side
post #23 of 34 Old 02-23-2017, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So the theater version 1.0 is mostly done for now. Still need to install the base boards, put in a small amount of tile, paint the door, and put in the acoustically transparent screen. Decided to go with the Center Stage UF because the sample looked good and the price is great. The current screen setup you see was just being used to figure out what size we wanted and how high we wanted it. I ended up getting a JVC RS420 instead of the Sony 45ES so the Atmos upgrade will have to wait for a few months. The next purchase will be some Alpha panels and tri trapes from GIK but I must say that the room sounds great to me already. I built three 24” by 48” absorbers out of denim insulation and they seem to work well. Also need to get two more chairs to make it a four seater. I want to thank everyone on here that has helped me get this far. We have already enjoyed a hand full of movies and the room will defiantly be getting a lot of use.

Last edited by Buddylee123; 02-23-2017 at 03:53 PM.
post #24 of 34 Old 04-05-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Where did you get the attached sign from --- LOVE IT !!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 11.08.15 AM.png
Views:	74
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	2069201  
post #25 of 34 Old 04-05-2017, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Where did you get the attached sign from --- LOVE IT !!!
It was a Christmas gift, they said they got it at Hobby Lobby.
post #26 of 34 Old 04-07-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
Lucky Dog theater build

Quote:
It was a Christmas gift, they said they got it at Hobby Lobby.

Hobby lobby has these cinema signs frequently on sale 50% off, I got a few from them also.
The 2 below, 1 on the door and 1 on the trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #27 of 34 Old 04-07-2017, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Hobby lobby has these cinema signs frequently on sale 50% off, I got a few from them also.
The 2 below, 1 on the door and 1 on the trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks like a very nice room you have there
post #28 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
That looks like a very nice room you have there
very nice dig! How are you liking the Sony VPL-HW45ES ?
post #29 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedstark View Post
very nice dig! How are you liking the Sony VPL-HW45ES ?
I hope it wasn't taken as a dig, I like the look of the natural wood and the pictures. I ended up with the JVC RS420 and I'm very happy with it.

Wait what dig are we talking about? i'm horrible with slang

Last edited by Buddylee123; 05-16-2017 at 09:03 AM.
post #30 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hope it wasn't taken as a dig, I like the look of the natural wood and the pictures. I ended up with the JVC RS420 and I'm very happy with it.

Wait what dig are we talking about? i'm horrible with slang
I think they meant nice digs, akin to: http://*******/2qospEK or http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=digs

JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page