Wildwood Re-Deux - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 429Likes

post #511 of 543 Old 09-15-2019, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Looks and Sounds awesome!!! Thanks for having us over!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
sirjaymz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 543 Old 09-15-2019, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
Status Update 9-10-2019

Project MOAR Hz
2x more PA-460's in house. Total of 4.
Found 2 iNuke amplifiers.

1st iNuke 6000DSP, I was able to locate it locally by at a Guitar Center. Who knew they sold used equipment. Overall, not bad condition, however, not as good as the ones I found up in Canton Ohio.. Unfortunately, he was not willing to ship, but he was asking only $200 each, and he had 3 of them.. oh well. found the one at GC for $275 + tax [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG], so bit the bullet and bought it.

2nd iNuke i located was actually up in Detroit, and he was willing to work with me. BNIB, 3000DSP, so can't complain about that. had to pay for shipping, so it basically cost me the same as the 6000dsp.. oh well. should be here this coming friday, so pretty much will have everything in place by then.

The 2x dual PA-460's sealed enclosures are constructed, but not yet completely sanded or painted yet.. Working with some Bondo to get the inconsistencies patched up. Overall, had to make them a sloped box, to fit in there designated location, and still meet the ~2.7cuft size requirements. Should be completed later this week, hopefully before Friday, when the amp is suppose to arrive.

One last thing, updated the drawing to include all the right gear and the right connections. Gets confusing when trying to perform REW scans and you are labeling the scans incorrectly, cause there's allot of gear. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
Wow 22 subwoofers!! This would sound insane! Man I wish I could even experience such a thing, let alone own something like this.

Awesome just awesome.
post #513 of 543 Old 09-15-2019, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Sole View Post
Wow 22 subwoofers!! This would sound insane! Man I wish I could even experience such a thing, let alone own something like this.

Awesome just awesome.
With the rate he is adding more and more subs my bet is that he will reach 30 subwoofers by Christmas

Seriously JJ, it looks freaking awesome with that wall of bass. That thing must be like getting a slap in the face every time a deep bass note is being played. I know you haven’t calibrated yet, but can you say something about the sound? Big/small improvement? Is it more the tactile feel than the actual sound that has got a boost, or...?

Keep up the good work my friend!

My Small Home Theater Build
JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 543 Old 09-16-2019, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Sole View Post

Awesome just awesome.

Thanks Nicolas!
Yeah , I guess it's a little over the top. I kept falling down the rabbit hole, and pretty much filled in all the spaces I could to fit them in to get to 22.
But when you're reading others like @BassThatHz , @Nalleh , @LTD02 , and @eng-399 , and others... you inevitably will start down a rabbit hole, and before too long, huh...here we are....
But thanks for kind words. Its definitely been and investment of time and $, but I don't think I'd go back to just 2.
BassThatHz, eng-399 and Nalleh like this.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II

Last edited by sirjaymz; 09-16-2019 at 05:10 AM.
post #515 of 543 Old 09-16-2019, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chris View Post
With the rate he is adding more and more subs my bet is that he will reach 30 subwoofers by Christmas

Seriously JJ, it looks freaking awesome with that wall of bass. That thing must be like getting a slap in the face every time a deep bass note is being played. I know you haven’t calibrated yet, but can you say something about the sound? Big/small improvement? Is it more the tactile feel than the actual sound that has got a boost, or...?

Keep up the good work my friend!
Hey there my friend!
No, no plans atm moment to reach 30.. not only WAF would fall to ZERO, but I don't know that I have space to fit them anywhere.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you like the look and layout! Not so much a slap in the face, but the audio response is so well rounded in frequency response now, it's really kinda of crazy.
Nulls are there on individual subs throughout the room, as there are with any room, however, with the quantity, they get filled in really nice at the MLP.
The mid-bass now is like WOW! PA-460's I thought were going to be sketch at first, but, after reading through a bunch of VBSS posts and builds, I figured at that price point, even if they are only half as good in sealed boxes, I'd get a nice kick for mid-bass. I built them, and overall, very pleased adding that.

As far as calibration. I've been reading so many posts, and read @AustinJerry guide , I get the setup and the configuration aspects, but I don't quite get the EQ methods, and why people do what they do..
I guess I'd like to understand the fundamentals of how things work, and what levers I can change to get the enhancements, but I realize there's allot of theory and insight that comes with years of experience.
This is definitely NOT a plug and play system. Definitely still learning REW, and all the value I can get on that.. even after using it for about a year now.

Overall, not overly impressed with the miniDSP software as far as connectivity. You can't have multiple units connected to the same PC via USB. They interfere with each other, as they use the same port I guess. This goes the same with iNukes as well. So you can imagine having to have 2 machines, and keeping track of which unit your working on, can be cumbersome.

As far as the overall sound, Huge improvement on the mid-bass. The Klipsch 12's were on that duty, but they seemed a little anemic. Adding the 460's really rounded that FR out. (50-250...)
The ULF with the Mini-Marty's is awesome. Definitely have missed a bunch of lower-end (17-25hz) prior to having those with only have the 2 sealed UM18's. Don't get me wrong, I love the 2x sealed UM18's. Probably the largest improvement from the get go when I got those installed. And of course, with the 12x12" JBLS right behind the seats, the TR is AWESOME! No plans in adding anything else in TR area. Not a fan of the BOSS TR platform, but I can see why others are. I don't have the space really, and the chairs I have I don't think are really conducive to having that.. also, I had experience D-Box early on, during the build at a local shop, and I was not overly impressed with that type of movement sensation. So I basically wrote that off as any additional design element.

Next up is to get everything calibrated and play around with it a little bit. Several flicks I want to watch are released, so I'm looking forward to sit back and enjoy a little bit before headed back to the job...After I return, is to add the dedicated zone from my HVAC into the room. Since the weather is going to be cooler in attic, I can work up there without sweating bullets to get the new zone installed. And while I'm up there, going to add 3 or more 20amp power circuits to room. I have plan to get them installed. I'd like to get each of the amps on their own dedicated circuits. Not that I have any issues.. just I don't want to have issues at those key moments in a flick.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and hopefully you all have enjoyed the build thus far.
Take care my friend.. still looking for an update on your build !
brazensol likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
post #516 of 543 Old 09-16-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 4297
Quote:
by adding the 4x PA-460's, now the ohms, down to 4ohms per channel, and power requirements need an additonal 2 channels of amplification.
Need some amps...
looking at clone FP14000 units... but the power requirements for those would cause me to have to re-map and pull an entire new sub-panel to allow for me to power it... 30amp 240vac.
Nope half that.
The fp20k is 30a, the 14k is "only" 15a.
(and double that for 120V)

But yes, a dedicated sub-panel is pretty much a requirement for a serious basshead these days.

My HT has 200a dedicated just for that one room, but I'm already in the process of adding a 2nd sub-sub-panel to that room (solar).
Hopefully it will keep the lights from dimming (it will), make me greener (E-mower), and maybe even add a bit of protection from emp and zombies. LOL!
sirjaymz likes this.
post #517 of 543 Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 365
How are you power-cycling those Behringer amps?

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL/Steam : ScubaSteve2365 - PC = i7-8700k, RTX 2080Ti, DDR4-3200 Ram
My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Pimax, Playstation VR, Rift-S, and Quest
Theater = Epson 5040UB, Denon x4400, Klipsh RF 7.2.4, 4-FiCar 18" IB, HTMarket Pembrokes, Aura BassShaker
post #518 of 543 Old 09-17-2019, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
How are you power-cycling those Behringer amps?

I haven't installed any of the 12v trigger mods. The only two mods I have done is changing out the fans, and painting them.

I looked into the mod for a 12v trigger, etc... but quite honestly, I don't need to have that, as all my gear is in the room anyway, and before I start something, I like to go through everything to make sure its all running as it's suppose to be. Amps on, zone 2 on, dolby atmos, proper levels, mostly run my inukes at 3pm on the dial, ...things like that...

I have 3 dedicated 20amp circuits to the gear location at the back of the room atm, and haven't faulted anything yet, but I also have not been running at reference level yet... I have 1 amp of 6000 units currently powered from the game room circuit next door, as i want to ensure I don't trip the breaker, however, that was is one of those AFCI circuits, and from what I read and experienced, not necessarily good to have gear on those...
This winter, I'll be adding 3 more 20amps circuits into the room as well, as I'd like to have each amplifier on a dedicated circuit.
But as for any automation or triggers, i haven't done anything yet if I was going to..

Any suggestions that I should be doing?

HT1.0 | HT2.05

Last edited by sirjaymz; 09-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.
post #519 of 543 Old 09-20-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any suggestions that I should be doing?
Nothing in particular, I have 3 Behringer amps myself (2 for subs, 1 for bass shakers). For years I've used an Insteon ApplianceLinc device (since I had insteon controlled lights) wherein the control operates over the insteon protocol over power wiring, but it seems every few years I have to troubleshoot it because it quits working right. For the last couple of weeks the amps have stayed on and I don't know how long they've been on as I have them out of the room in a storage area. Maybe it's not a big deal that they stay on, but I like my automation to work.

A 12V trigger is best of course, and even though I am an electrical engineer and could do the mod without concern, it just seems like a hassle to perform it on 3 amps. I wish a nice simple plug-in power receptacle relay that took an industry standard 12V trigger existed. There are smart powerstrips (here)that can sense the load of say your AVR plugged into it, and then switch on other outlets, but I'm not convinced how robust and set-it-and-forget-it that is.

My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Pimax, Playstation VR, Rift-S, and Quest
Theater = Epson 5040UB, Denon x4400, Klipsh RF 7.2.4, 4-FiCar 18" IB, HTMarket Pembrokes, Aura BassShaker
post #520 of 543 Old 09-20-2019, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nothing in particular, I have 3 Behringer amps myself (2 for subs, 1 for bass shakers). For years I've used an Insteon ApplianceLinc device (since I had insteon controlled lights) wherein the control operates over the insteon protocol over power wiring, but it seems every few years I have to troubleshoot it because it quits working right. For the last couple of weeks the amps have stayed on and I don't know how long they've been on as I have them out of the room in a storage area. Maybe it's not a big deal that they stay on, but I like my automation to work.

A 12V trigger is best of course, and even though I am an electrical engineer and could do the mod without concern, it just seems like a hassle to perform it on 3 amps. I wish a nice simple plug-in power receptacle relay that took an industry standard 12V trigger existed. There are smart powerstrips (here)that can sense the load of say your AVR plugged into it, and then switch on other outlets, but I'm not convinced how robust and set-it-and-forget-it that is.

Thanks for your feedback on those. I too have the Insteon Light controls, witch I love those. Buddy of mine has his whole house Insteon, so another reason I went that way...

The outdoor units for the Insteon power plug are rated to 12amps, which would work great, at least for automation aspect. I have consider the Xantech AC1, but it indicates only a 1000 watt support, which does have the 12v trigger plug, but I don't like that it's only a 1000 watts.. what is that. like?

AC power watts vs VA = 1000watts divided by 0.707 divided by 120v = 11.78 amps? is that right? seems incorrect. I wish it told me in AC amps. On top of this, they are tough find.

Not sure what I will be going with.. I do really like your Insteon solution though ! I didn't put 2 and 2 together to use the Insteon plug, which comes in black and is all packaged real nice, without mounting holes. I don't' wanna mount nothing. I like plug and play.

Can you describe what kind of failure you have on ApplianceLinc device?
I dislike having to troubleshoot stuff when you know it's just suppose to be working.

EDIT: Other devices I found...
http://www.specsserver.com/CACHE/MELNCHWDEWAK.PDF
Niles AC3 FG00242 Voltage Triggered AC Power Strip
Insteon Outdoor plug.

HT1.0 | HT2.05

Last edited by sirjaymz; 09-20-2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Found other devices I might consider... added links
post #521 of 543 Old 09-20-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

AC power watts vs VA = 1000watts divided by 0.707 divided by 120v = 11.78 amps? is that right? seems incorrect. I wish it told me in AC amps. On top of this, they are tough find.

Not sure what I will be going with.. I do really like your Insteon solution though ! I didn't put 2 and 2 together to use the Insteon plug, which comes in black and is all packaged real nice, without mounting holes. I don't' wanna mount nothing. I like plug and play.

Can you describe what kind of failure you have on ApplianceLinc device?
I dislike having to troubleshoot stuff when you know it's just suppose to be working.
When it comes to amplifiers, power isn't sustained generally. A device rated for for 1000W is generally for something sustained like a motor or temperature element running continuously. Most amplifiers will perform significantly under their power rating when it comes to overload/protection. Most breakers and protection devices are thermally engaged, meaning they don't actually know you've passed 1000W. Thermally, 1000W sustained for 10 seconds may trip but 2000W sustained for 0.5 seconds may not.

The insteon appliancelinc works fine and is a good solution, except I sometimes have to go to it and manually turn the load off/on or unplug the unit. I have it in a hard to reach location. I don't have to reprogram it or anything to my scene. It's almost like the unit sometimes get's stuck (generally in an on state) and just needs a power cycle.

The appliance Linc was intended for, well, appliances, but its a 15A unit which can cover a typical home circuit so that makes it ideal. Would be amazing if this same device existed, but except for insteon it just took a 3.5mm 12V trigger instead.

post #522 of 543 Old 09-20-2019, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Scubasteve I've been using this on my older Behringer EP2500.

Iot Relay - Enclosed High-Power Power Relay for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PIC or WiFi, Relay Shield
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been working perfectly with my previous Anthem D2V pre/pro and now my Marantz 8805. I just ran a trigger line about 30ft to the terminals on the relay and it works perfectly every time.
post #523 of 543 Old 09-20-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricE View Post
Scubasteve I've been using this on my older Behringer EP2500.

Iot Relay - Enclosed High-Power Power Relay for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PIC or WiFi, Relay Shield
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been working perfectly with my previous Anthem D2V pre/pro and now my Marantz 8805. I just ran a trigger line about 30ft to the terminals on the relay and it works perfectly every time.
Perfect, I just found this before seeing your reply on my own but was curious if there were any trigger issues. Good to know there isn't and I'll likely be ordering one of these today.

post #524 of 543 Old 09-21-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
There are smart powerstrips (here)that can sense the load of say your AVR plugged into it, and then switch on other outlets, but I'm not convinced how robust and set-it-and-forget-it that is.
This is exactly what I use to power on/off my Behringer EP4000 amp (and other stuff as well). My AVR is the master and the other devices acts as slaves. I have used smart powerstrips for years and they work like a charm - truly plug-n-play.

JVC RS400 / 110" 2.40:1 Curved DIY AT Screen w. Masking / Prismasonic A-Lens / Marantz SR7011 / Emotiva XPA-5 / Behringer EP4000 / Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Apple TV 4K / 7.2.2 Surround / DIY LCR's / 4xFI IB3 15" IB Sub
post #525 of 543 Old 09-21-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 575
I thought I read somewhere using these type devices with Behringer amps caused a really loud thump from the subs when they turned off. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #526 of 543 Old 09-22-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I thought I read somewhere using these type devices with Behringer amps caused a really loud thump from the subs when they turned off. Anyone know if this is true or not?
I remember reading something like that as well, but I can’t find it. However, mine doesn’t produce any thump.
brazensol likes this.

post #527 of 543 Old 09-22-2019, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 3460
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Yes, the DSP models have the dreaded thump when powering off. But the non-DSP models does not have any thump.

Goes for both the older NU and newer NX models.
brazensol likes this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #528 of 543 Old 09-22-2019, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Status Update 9-22-2019

Over the weekend, did a little additional painting of the new 3000dsp.

Additionally, I was needing to revamp the rack full of gear to fit the new amps into their planned spots, but with all the wiring going on, had to redo allot of the interconnection routing to move the power UPS out of the rack.
So just to get at the rack, had to take out the NF subs and move them out of the way.

By removing the UPS, it allows for a little bit of the wiring management to get done, and actually installed a couple of shelves so I can use them straddling the amps.
By doing this, it allowed for the network switches and the nVidia Shield to sit on a shelf, along with all the wall warts. OMG.. wall warts. between the 3 for the minidsp's, 2 for the network switches, 1 for the IR repeater, and the AC Infinity fan controller, and the power plug for the Shield , there are 8 different wall warts to fit inside.. it was a little tight, but was able to manage to get them in, once I used 6" power cord extensions to get them off the back of the Furman power-strip.

Overall, starting to take shape. Still have to paint the final 6000dsp, but I was able to get it back together over the weekend, minus painting of the 6000dsp. To be done once I get back.

Was able to get it all re-scanned in REW, with phase correction, time correction, and all channels re-EQ'ed into the miniDSP's. I took 3 scans around the MLP for each sub, and used a Average FR for the REW EQ input.

I am not sure that like the different EQ profiles, such as the sub-woofer curve, or the full range curves..
I ended up using a None option and set it to a relatively level set target. I think it sounded pretty good, but can always learn more of the REQ EQ settings..

Headed out of town for a couple of months, so progress will slow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 16, 10 44 56.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2618942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 18, 15 11 20.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	979.1 KB
ID:	2618944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 18, 15 15 15.jpg
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2618946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 18, 21 23 48.jpg
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2618948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 18, 21 24 08.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2618950  

Name:	Photo Sep 19, 21 20 06.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2618952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 21, 19 06 20.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2618954  

HT1.0 | HT2.05
post #529 of 543 Old 09-22-2019, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Status Update 9-22-2019

Over the weekend, did a little additional painting of the new 3000dsp.

Additionally, I was needing to revamp the rack full of gear to fit the new amps into their planned spots, but with all the wiring going on, had to redo allot of the interconnection routing to move the power UPS out of the rack.
So just to get at the rack, had to take out the NF subs and move them out of the way.

By removing the UPS, it allows for a little bit of the wiring management to get done, and actually installed a couple of shelves so I can use them straddling the amps.
By doing this, it allowed for the network switches and the nVidia Shield to sit on a shelf, along with all the wall warts. OMG.. wall warts. between the 3 for the minidsp's, 2 for the network switches, 1 for the IR repeater, and the AC Infinity fan controller, and the power plug for the Shield , there are 8 different wall warts to fit inside.. it was a little tight, but was able to manage to get them in, once I used 6" power cord extensions to get them off the back of the Furman power-strip.

Overall, starting to take shape. Still have to paint the final 6000dsp, but I was able to get it back together over the weekend, minus painting of the 6000dsp. To be done once I get back.

Was able to get it all re-scanned in REW, with phase correction, time correction, and all channels re-EQ'ed into the miniDSP's. I took 3 scans around the MLP for each sub, and used a Average FR for the REW EQ input.

I am not sure that like the different EQ profiles, such as the sub-woofer curve, or the full range curves..
I ended up using a None option and set it to a relatively level set target. I think it sounded pretty good, but can always learn more of the REQ EQ settings..

Headed out of town for a couple of months, so progress will slow
Just re-read your build thread for the first time in a while. Your room is very similar in size to the room I hope to someday make my own theater, so big thanks for documenting your journey here.

Safe travels. Looking forward to more updates in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #530 of 543 Old 09-23-2019, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Nice, that looks awesome! ...and I thought taking apart my smoke detector to paint it was a big deal LOL

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #531 of 543 Old 09-23-2019, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotShorty View Post
Just re-read your build thread for the first time in a while. Your room is very similar in size to the room I hope to someday make my own theater, so big thanks for documenting your journey here.

Safe travels. Looking forward to more updates in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm glad to contributing back to the forum has been able to help you. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the effort to post or not, but I figured at least it will help me chronologically keep track of things over time. You are welcome. I hope you rooms comes together for you. Hopefully you don't have to do the add-on extension into the attic to get the room size. That was allot of work. Anyway, I'll keep an eye out once you get a build thread going.

If you are interested in more of the photos I have of the entire process, I have an online album out on postimages.org

Wildwood Re-Deux Photo Album
NotShorty likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
post #532 of 543 Old 09-23-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
Nice, that looks awesome! ...and I thought taking apart my smoke detector to paint it was a big deal LOL

Thanks.. yeah.. I did the other inukes amplifiers previously, but didn't realize the effort that was needed to do them again. lol.

I too painted a smoke detector previously. It says "Not to Paint", but you know us AVS'ers, of COURSE we are going to paint the white smoke detector, and we take it all apart to do that.. They don't tell you that it's ok if you do that part... or is it? lol

It's not too bad to paint amplifiers. There's been allot of threads that document the process, if you are a little scared to dive into the guts of the amp.. just be mindful of the capacitors...zap zap will kill ya...
pkinneb likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
post #533 of 543 Old 09-25-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Remote Update
9-25-2019

Was able to get my B-I-L to snap some photos for me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 20 14.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	2619994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 23 00.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	2619996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 24 19.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	671.7 KB
ID:	2619998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 25 27.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	2620000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 26 31.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	2620002  

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 27 09.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	2620004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 29 19.jpg
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	2620006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 29 54.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	744.4 KB
ID:	2620008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 30 05.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	609.8 KB
ID:	2620010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 30 44.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	2620012  

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 31 44.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	2620014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 31 21.jpg
Size:	541.1 KB
ID:	2620016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 57 21.jpg
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	2620018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 25, 14 28 08.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	563.2 KB
ID:	2620020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 26, 11 18 09.jpg
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	2620258  

Name:	Photo Sep 26, 11 21 28.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	662.7 KB
ID:	2620260  

HT1.0 | HT2.05

Last edited by sirjaymz; 09-26-2019 at 12:48 PM.
post #534 of 543 Old 09-26-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 757
What a superb result! Glad your theater has seen the light, or rather, the darkness. Congrats!!
sirjaymz and texpilot like this.
post #535 of 543 Old 09-26-2019, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
What a superb result! Glad your theater has seen the light, or rather, the darkness. Congrats!!
Thanks impreza! I really enjoyed watching your 'Fortress of Amplitude' come together around the same timing as well. It's always nice to see the progress others have made too.

I updated to include some photos in the class of 2018 thread that you started some time back. I was a little late on getting those in there. I don't know that I have every really been done done...but thanks for starting that thread.. hopefully we will see the class of 2019 thread started soon, as I think I've seen some complete this year already.

I'm envious of your mini-split you already have installed. My next improvement is to zone out the room on the HVAC, or install a mini just as you did. Wife basically ix-ney'd the mini, so I'm zoning I guess. I knew sometime back in the build that I would potentially have to do it, but it really came to light this past several weeks while I was home that the temp I like the room is much cooler than those like the rest of the house, as there's currently only one zone for the upstairs, and I guess I freeze everybody else out. lol .. but, since I have complete access in the attic, as in walk around heights, it actually should be a straight forward install.
impreza276 likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
post #536 of 543 Old 09-26-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1887
Lord Vader, your theater is ready!

Stinks you have to travel for the next few months, right after you're "battle station" is fully operational, but I guess that will make your return all the sweeter.

Excellent work!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	impressive.gif
Views:	65
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	2620280  
sirjaymz and texpilot like this.
post #537 of 543 Old 09-27-2019, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Thanks impreza! I really enjoyed watching your 'Fortress of Amplitude' come together around the same timing as well. It's always nice to see the progress others have made too.

I updated to include some photos in the class of 2018 thread that you started some time back. I was a little late on getting those in there. I don't know that I have every really been done done...but thanks for starting that thread.. hopefully we will see the class of 2019 thread started soon, as I think I've seen some complete this year already.

I'm envious of your mini-split you already have installed. My next improvement is to zone out the room on the HVAC, or install a mini just as you did. Wife basically ix-ney'd the mini, so I'm zoning I guess. I knew sometime back in the build that I would potentially have to do it, but it really came to light this past several weeks while I was home that the temp I like the room is much cooler than those like the rest of the house, as there's currently only one zone for the upstairs, and I guess I freeze everybody else out. lol .. but, since I have complete access in the attic, as in walk around heights, it actually should be a straight forward install.
Thanks! I feel we are like a band of brothers having slogged through our builds at the same time. By the way your HT1.0 was really neat too. have you been back to see it? Yes indeed, it's about that time to start the 2019 thread. Let me get to it! The mini split is a thing of joy, it has helped turned the worst room in the house into Nirvana. The only major advise I would give is not to have it directly blowing on someone. Is the WAF veto due to the looks of the mini split?
post #538 of 543 Old 09-27-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
Thanks! I feel we are like a band of brothers having slogged through our builds at the same time. By the way your HT1.0 was really neat too. have you been back to see it? Yes indeed, it's about that time to start the 2019 thread. Let me get to it! The mini split is a thing of joy, it has helped turned the worst room in the house into Nirvana. The only major advise I would give is not to have it directly blowing on someone. Is the WAF veto due to the looks of the mini split?

I kinda chuckled.."...band of brothers having slogged through our builds at the same time", this captures my sentiment exactly. We both endured our misery at the same time, this unwritten comradery...

Ht1.0 was allot of work.. all the AVS build methods were new to me at the time. i was such a noob.. yes, i was able to stop by and see it in working order.. the family I sold the house to was actually a guy I did contract work for in AK for a large oil company. We had a really good working relationship, and they invited me back over to watch a bunch of demos and a nfl game. He literally bought all the gear I was planning on installing in that room, as I gave him my complete build plan when I sold the house. Was pretty cool to see it...

As far as the zoning, or the minisplit, she veto'ed it cause the outside unit would be right in the walkway to get to the back yard, as typical neighborhood, house are relatively close together , and there's a fence down the sides, so that is the main through-fare way front to back, and she's adamant at some point, we'd be getting a pool in the back yard , and doesn't want the access pathway blocked... which I'd have to agree. could mount it on the wall, but would be so ugly hanging off wall. I'm thinking the zoning should be straight forward.. one of my B-I-L is actually a HVAC tech and will get me pointed in the right direction on it. So hopefully that will be the January project, cooler, and after the holidays. We will see...
impreza276 likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
post #539 of 543 Old 10-01-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Stinks you have to travel for the next few months, right after you're "battle station" is fully operational, but I guess that will make your return all the sweeter.

Excellent work!
Yeah, what really is the downer, is JVC announced the new Dynamic Tone Mapping, which the firmware is coming out next week.. , or at least that's the rumor...

JVC Announces Major HDR Update for 4K D-ILA Projectors

Just more items to add to the list to experience when I'm back in the room.

Thanks!! I'm glad you approve of my work.. Tedious stuff to get things 'right'...

HT1.0 | HT2.05
post #540 of 543 Old 10-01-2019, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

2-ch wow!

I had an opportunity yesterday to experience some serious 2-channel setup.

Top - Luxman D-06u
Middle - Sony XA5400ES
Bottom - Placette Audio Dual Mono Line Stage Preamplifier
Low - McIntosh MC252 Amplifier
2 Channel - Klipsch Cornwall III Special Edition - California Black Walnut

I have never had an opportunity to experience what true 2-channel can be.. This was by far the best 2 channel system I have ever experienced in my life.

Bob Seger, Fleetwood Mac, and the sorts, were played for demo's, of which, I could not believe the imaging, clarity, and the warmth of the audio of songs we have all heard before.

I was truly astonished by the clarity of the setup.

If you ever have a chance to experience such a system, I'd advise to take much more time than we had available to really enjoy some of the of audio available to us.

Absolutely WOW!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo Sep 30, 13 32 52.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2622214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 30, 13 32 57.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2622216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 30, 13 32 59.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2622218  

HT1.0 | HT2.05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page