RGB LED Strip light suggestions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fazzz
  • 1 Post By marklabelle870

post #1 of 23 Old 11-16-2016, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
RGB LED Strip light suggestions

Anyone have recommendations for RGB strip lights? I'm looking to light up a ceiling cove in a light tray as well as some floor areas. Would like a wifi controller as well. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-17-2016, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Loads of kits available on eBay - dont have any direct experience of them though. Not sure what sort of controlling apps these kits have, or work with.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-17-2016, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy340 View Post
Anyone have recommendations for RGB strip lights? I'm looking to light up a ceiling cove in a light tray as well as some floor areas. Would like a wifi controller as well. Thanks
I went with lights from http://www.hitlights.com. I have them around my riser and just put them up in recessed crown molding last night. I couldn't be happier. They have a lot of videos and how-tos on their site. I bought this https://www.hitlights.com/luma10-ser...et-control-827 and I can control my lights from my phone with the app. There are multiple suppliers that offer the same type of product so shop around. Some pictures of my riser below.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8344.JPG
Views:	1978
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	1774657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8342.JPG
Views:	1961
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	1774665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8336.JPG
Views:	1989
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	1774673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8334.JPG
Views:	1969
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	1774681  
ND23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-17-2016, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Flexfire is the best. They have the 600 count LED's per reeel - the 3528's. Nice and bright! Ebay stuff is not nearly as good as the Flexfire's.

www.flexfireleds.com

https://www.flexfireleds.com/pages/C...5050-LEDs.html
Boilermaker744 likes this.

Last edited by marklabelle870; 11-17-2016 at 06:31 AM.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-17-2016, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. I've been happy with a cheap white strip I got off Amazon for under cabinet lighting, just not sure about the long term quality of it or similar RGB options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 23 Old 11-18-2016, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 56
in case this helps, I used hitlights luma10 rgb strips. they work great, but they were actually to bright on their dimmest setting.

I had to buy a different $10 controller which allows me to set diy colors which are much dimmer.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-18-2016, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What approach did you use for powering your LED accent lights? I have a riser that I just finished along with a bar top. I'm going to light up both.

Did you put the lights on a switched outlet or plug them into outlet and just use the remote?
Do you manually turn them off when starting a movie?
Or did you set up a system to auto dim?

I want to make sure they are functional when anyone enters the area. Any ideas or input?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 23 Old 11-18-2016, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb222 View Post
What approach did you use for powering your LED accent lights? I have a riser that I just finished along with a bar top. I'm going to light up both.

Did you put the lights on a switched outlet or plug them into outlet and just use the remote?
Do you manually turn them off when starting a movie?
Or did you set up a system to auto dim?

I want to make sure they are functional when anyone enters the area. Any ideas or input?

I mounted my strips under the edge of some oak bullnose. It is attached to a power supply on an outlet that is controlled via a non-dimmable insteon switch.

you can see some pics and more info here and here

I use "simple control" to program a simple set of commands to do various things in the theater. like to watch a movie (turn on receiver to br input, turn on riser rope lighting, turn off recessed can lighting, etc).

I have not tried this, but I know instoen has motion sensors. I think you could just create a quick program to run on an insteon hub that senses motion and flips the switch that powers the led strips...
post #9 of 23 Old 11-18-2016, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Amazon Prime for another Hour and a half
https://www.amazon.com/Vansky-Lighti...PRQJP8VBYKFET9
post #10 of 23 Old 11-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I can't help with the wi-fi controller, but I'm happy with my super-inexpensive kit from Amazon: ALED LIGHT 32.8ft 10M 12V SMD 5050 300leds RGB Flexible Changing LED Strip Light Kit + 44 Key IR Remote + 6A Power Supply

Was $25.95 back in February, and is even cheaper now! I have it plugged into a switched outlet, and I use the little credit card sized remote to brighten/dim, and change color.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	071.jpg
Views:	1976
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1776593   Click image for larger version

Name:	YDXJ0169.jpg
Views:	2006
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1776601  

Last edited by ND23; 11-19-2016 at 08:17 AM.
post #11 of 23 Old 11-18-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND23 View Post
I can't help with the wi-fi controller, but I'm happy with my super-inexpensive kit from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013GDMIT8/

Was $25.95 back in February, and is even cheaper now! I have it plugged into a switched outlet, and I use the little credit card sized remote to brighten/dim, and change color.
Hi ND23, you amazon link is broken...

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #12 of 23 Old 11-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
I can't help with the wi-fi controller, but I'm happy with my super-inexpensive kit from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013GDMIT8/

The art acoustic panels!!
post #13 of 23 Old 11-18-2016, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'll be lighting my 15x15 theater room with LED strips behind crown molding set 8-10" below ceiling height.

I don't have any actual experience with them onthe wall yet, but I bought this kit on Aliexpress (Mine is the 15M kit). I've used them quite a bit on the ground and in trial fitment scenarios. It's plenty bright to light up my 15x15 room, has a wifi controller, 5050 LED's with 30/m each of RGB (single chip) and white.

I've looked A LOT, and you won't find a better price than Aliexpress. I've always had good luck with them. I've heard all the comments about Flexfire, etc, but comparing spec to spec, I don't buy that there's a notable difference. I plan on ordering one strip of the same LED's from them, just so I can compare.

Unless you want a 4 color/1 chip solution, or an individually addressable solution, I'd seriously recommend the set I linked.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-18-2016, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Was $25.95 back in February, and is even cheaper now! I have it plugged into a switched outlet, and I use the little credit card sized remote to brighten/dim, and change

Looks like I purchased the same one. The little white box has an IR off of it. I programmed my Logitech remote to turn the lights on with the projector. I have it dimmed down low enough so it doesn't affect the room lightning. Im going to look into an RF switch that can turn it on and off instead of the IR repeater.

post #15 of 23 Old 11-19-2016, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

I'll take a look at the suggestions. Thanks again!

post #16 of 23 Old 11-19-2016, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Those using Hitlights- I'm wondering what the difference between Luma10 standard and premium 12V is? I can't seem to find a difference. Also would you recommend regular or high density? I'm thinking regular density would be more then enough light for my windowless room. Any thoughts?

post #17 of 23 Old 11-19-2016, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Those using Hitlights- I'm wondering what the difference between Luma10 standard and premium 12V is? I can't seem to find a difference. Also would you recommend regular or high density? I'm thinking regular density would be more then enough light for my windowless room. Any thoughts?

What are the premium 12Vs? Are you talking about the Dreaming Style? The dreaming style allows you to display multiple colors at the same time, but it can't be controlled by a wifi remote/app, if that's something you're interested in.

Regarding the reg vs high density, I flip-flopped on that, as well, and went with the regular. Glad I made that decision. Regular is plenty. Pics of the lights on full are posted above. The app lets you dim them, but on full some might say they are too bright.
post #18 of 23 Old 11-19-2016, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently decided I'm going to use smart pixel strips controlled from a Raspberry Pi. Take a look at some of the Christmas light shows on YouTube and imagine the pre-show control.. Maybe even ambilight clones? Have the back wall light up with a rear surround explosion..

Sent from from my Tardis using MyBrain 7.56
post #19 of 23 Old 01-24-2018, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Have you taken a chance to have a look at the LED strip lights Amazon or eBay sells on their website? Just go to their website and type in keywords to search, and you will find them.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-24-2018, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkPrince View Post
Have you taken a chance to have a look at the LED strip lights Amazon or eBay sells on their website? Just go to their website and type in keywords to search, and you will find them.
I forgot to include Bestbuy.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-20-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually buy these stuffs from China and it needs about 10 days to receive. They have both RGB strip and wifi controller. Hope it's useful for you.
post #22 of 23 Old 01-15-2020, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can anyone help me figure out how to run a few strip light kits together. I know I can use the same remote. Just wonder what I need to connect and power them.
post #23 of 23 Old 01-16-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcharxed View Post
Can anyone help me figure out how to run a few strip light kits together. I know I can use the same remote. Just wonder what I need to connect and power them.
Usually an RGB controller will handle around 10 amps, and if you need more than 10 amps you can run amplifiers. If your amplifier can handle 24 amps, and your 12 volt strips draw 5 amps per roll with all colors lit up, then you could run 4 rolls off one amplifier (20 meters). Each amplifier would require a power supply then, and it has to be sized for your load. If you are running 4 rolls of 12 volt RGB led strip that draws 5 amps per roll max, then you would need 20 amps of power supply at 12 volts, or 240 watts. You don't want to max it out, so a 300 watt power supply would work here.

So the first thing you need to know is the max amp draw of the LED strip. 24 volt strips usually draw half as much as 12 volt strips, so you can run half the amps with the same length. However, wattage is volts times amps, so either way you have the same amount of power being drawn, and need the same size power supply. Strips vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and RGBW might draw more than RGB, and a single color would draw even less. Some strips are 300 led's per roll, some are 600. Some use 5050SMD's, some use other size and configuration LED's. You just need to find out how many amps a roll draws with all colors lit at max, and you can plan from there.

Next you need a controller that can control all your colors. This is where things get tricky because sometimes you need it to remember your settings after power is cut (like if you power it from a light switch), sometimes you want wifi of bluetooth or just an RF or IR remote. There are a lot of options out there. If you are running 1 or 2 strips, just a controller is usually fine, for more strips, you need to run amplifiers.

Finally you need to figure out how many amplifiers you need and what size power supply for each amplifier. If you are running 12 volt RGBW strips that draw 20 amps at max at your designated length, then you need a 12 v power supply that can do 20 amps. If you run 3 amplifiers at 20 amps each, you need 3 power supplies, one for each amplifier.

Those wall wart power supplies are usually 1-3 amps, and might be able to run a single color 5 meter strip or maybe an RGB with 300 LEDs per roll. The power supplies that look like a laptop power supply are usually around 5 amps, and can run a single RGB or RGBW 5 meter strip, or 2-3 single color strips. Anything more and you probably need a hobby power supply that kicks out 250-500 watts of power. 24 volt strips will take smaller wire and use less amps, but also take 24 volt power supplies.

The wiring of amplifiers is simple - run power to your controller, and then the output feeds the amplifier inputs. If RGB or RGBW, you run the red output from the controller to the red input on the amplifier, blue to blue, green to green, etc. Then you can just jump each wire to the next amplifier (i.e. run them in series). The amplifiers have a power input that comes from the power supplies, and the output goes to the strips from each amplifier. The controller won't take much power if you have amplifiers, so you can just run it off one of the amplifier power supplies.

A 20 amp 12 volt power supply doesn't mean it takes 20 amps to run from the wall, it probably needs more like 3-5 amps, so you can plug 2,3 or even 4 20 amp power supplies into a single wall outlet.

The only other thing is sizing your wire from the power supplies to the amplifiers and then from the amplifiers to the LED strips. With 12 volt RGBW, you might need 16 ga wire, where with 24 volt you might get away with 22 ga for short runs or 16 or 18 ga wire for longer runs. Wire is rated by amp draw. Higher temp rated wires can handle more "ampacity", but you also need to consider length so you don't get voltage loss over too long of a length.

And finally, I recommend you feed both ends of a strip with power from the amplifier, so that one end is not brighter than the other.

I have around 240 feet of 24 volt RGBW strip in my ceiling, running off of 3 350w power supplies, 3 amplifiers, and one controller. My strips are 24 volt 4 color SMD's (RGBW on one LED) that I solder together and trim to 220" lengths, and run 4 lengths off each amplifier. Each 5 meter roll uses 2.7 amps max with all 4 colors lit up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page