Lighting around TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-29-2016, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Lighting around TV?

What kind of accent lighting should I go with around the TV? Should I run wires for a row of puck lights or just put an extra outlet behind the TV to plug in rope or led strip lights and and hide them behind trim?

I was planning on going the rope or led strip route but I'm curious if I am missing out on some importance or benefit to the puck lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	1797505  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-30-2016, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It depends what you're going for! Do you have any interest in having the lights respond to the input on the screen? There's a few options out there for that if you care for it. You can do it with analog strips (RGB, same color on all chips) to get the average input, or you could use digital RGB strips (APA102, WS2812B, etc.) to have the edge project off the screen and be different for each individual chip.

If not interested in that, I'd still go with strips because it's easier to make the light look more even and not hot spot. Control is another thing, are you putting other similar lights in? Do you want them to be controlled together?
post #3 of 10 Old 11-30-2016, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbient View Post
It depends what you're going for! Do you have any interest in having the lights respond to the input on the screen? There's a few options out there for that if you care for it. You can do it with analog strips (RGB, same color on all chips) to get the average input, or you could use digital RGB strips (APA102, WS2812B, etc.) to have the edge project off the screen and be different for each individual chip.

If not interested in that, I'd still go with strips because it's easier to make the light look more even and not hot spot. Control is another thing, are you putting other similar lights in? Do you want them to be controlled together?
Actually, I'd love for it to respond to the input on the screen! I honestly didn't even know you could do that. It would be nice to have the option of one static color for movies and change colors when playing music. What would I need to buy in order for it to interact with the TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-30-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufunky View Post
Actually, I'd love for it to respond to the input on the screen! I honestly didn't even know you could do that. It would be nice to have the option of one static color for movies and change colors when playing music. What would I need to buy in order for it to interact with the TV?
There are a few different groups out there doing this. The whole thing started very DIY with people trying to recreate and supercharge what Philips was/is doing with their Ambilight TVs. That was fixed to the particular TV you wanted, and relatively few zones. Seems people wanted more brightness, more individual zones(/higher 'resolution'), and ability to customize it to integrate with other things. Along then came things like Boblight and Hyperion, and using digitally addressable LEDs. Anyway, depending how handy you are, the best and most customized route is probably to buy a Raspberry Pi, a screen grabber, some APA102 strips, and set it up with Hyperion. To make things a bit easier, a group called Lightberry makes a convenient grabber that takes any HDMI source (as far as I know).

There's also tons of more complete solutions to make plug and play easier. The first one I bought was called Lightpack, and while good, it was using analog strips in segments of 3 (less resolution, and some light 'gaps' around the TV on big TVs, a lot of cables behind the TV, and needed a computer to run the content). They have just finished developing version 2, looks like they addressed basically all of that.

There's another called DreamScreen. I could probably go on... this seems to be an emerging field over the past few years and no one's really seemed to run away with a super simple system that plays nice with other lightstrips you might have when you want to control them all in one place.

Anyway, hope that's not all too confusing. Basically, if you're handy with light programming and tinkering, go with Hyperion/RPI/APA102, if not try something like Lightpack (havent tried 2, but seems a significant upgrade from 1 which I have). I'm also currently working on my own Hyperion/RPI based system. Trying to get it to integrate with Philips Hue!

How big is your screen, and how much space between the wall and the screen do you have? I can't post links to anything yet so you'll have to google the above for more info, sorry!
post #5 of 10 Old 11-30-2016, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There are a few different groups out there doing this. The whole thing started very DIY with people trying to recreate and supercharge what Philips was/is doing with their Ambilight TVs. That was fixed to the particular TV you wanted, and relatively few zones. Seems people wanted more brightness, more individual zones(/higher 'resolution'), and ability to customize it to integrate with other things. Along then came things like Boblight and Hyperion, and using digitally addressable LEDs. Anyway, depending how handy you are, the best and most customized route is probably to buy a Raspberry Pi, a screen grabber, some APA102 strips, and set it up with Hyperion. To make things a bit easier, a group called Lightberry makes a convenient grabber that takes any HDMI source (as far as I know).

There's also tons of more complete solutions to make plug and play easier. The first one I bought was called Lightpack, and while good, it was using analog strips in segments of 3 (less resolution, and some light 'gaps' around the TV on big TVs, a lot of cables behind the TV, and needed a computer to run the content). They have just finished developing version 2, looks like they addressed basically all of that.

There's another called DreamScreen. I could probably go on... this seems to be an emerging field over the past few years and no one's really seemed to run away with a super simple system that plays nice with other lightstrips you might have when you want to control them all in one place.

Anyway, hope that's not all too confusing. Basically, if you're handy with light programming and tinkering, go with Hyperion/RPI/APA102, if not try something like Lightpack (havent tried 2, but seems a significant upgrade from 1 which I have). I'm also currently working on my own Hyperion/RPI based system. Trying to get it to integrate with Philips Hue!

How big is your screen, and how much space between the wall and the screen do you have? I can't post links to anything yet so you'll have to google the above for more info, sorry!
Thanks for all that info! Actually I own a computer / smart device repair and service shop so I know my way around electronics pretty well. I have actually been looking for a reason to buy a RPI too. I thought maybe I'd buy one for a custom home automation system but this sounds like fun. I havn't bought the TV for that area yet but I will most likely go with a 55"- 65" as I will also be adding a projector and a 100" screen.

As far as space goes, I will have what ever space the TV bracket system leaves me but I was thinking of putting a 2x4 frame/ trim area to put the lights behind instead of trying to affix them to the back of the TV itself. If you look at the picture of the built-in for the TV that I posted above for reference you should be able to get a better idea of what I am talking about.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-30-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all that info! Actually I own a computer / smart device repair and service shop so I know my way around electronics pretty well. I have actually been looking for a reason to buy a RPI too. I thought maybe I'd buy one for a custom home automation system but this sounds like fun. I havn't bought the TV for that area yet but I will most likely go with a 55"- 65" as I will also be adding a projector and a 100" screen.

As far as space goes, I will have what ever space the TV bracket system leaves me but I was thinking of putting a 2x4 frame/ trim area to put the lights behind instead of trying to affix them to the back of the TV itself. If you look at the picture of the built-in for the TV that I posted above for reference you should be able to get a better idea of what I am talking about.
Gotcha, I see it now. One thing to note is that the effect looks best when you have a little space around the TV for the light to project It looks like you are planning to have it a bit recessed in a cavity. My TV is 60", so about the same. I was wondering because most setups I've seen the strips are 5V so voltage drop is more of an issue, and high watt 5V supplies are less common.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-01-2016, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Here's a link to a quick video I made. This is a very basic setup that was done just for fun kinda thing.

https://youtu.be/nLOXjg3xjRs
post #8 of 10 Old 12-02-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

I remember the Philips Ambilight! I thought it was super cool how the lights changed to the scene colors.

I've been using IdeaLume Bias lighting for many years. Originally on my 60", then on my new 80". They use these same lights for private viewing when they are judging for award movies, etc.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lumesb.htm

BUT, I always liked the idea that the phillips tv used. How hard would this be to changeover for mine? I really am not that technical and would probably need a very already done and ready solution. Or just leave mine the way it is.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (9).jpg
Views:	259
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	1803185  

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #9 of 10 Old 01-06-2017, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just ordered the Dreamscreen Extreme set (for 65"-80" TV) this morning. I love the idea of it. I'll update once they arrive and I get them hooked up.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-06-2017, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
DreamScreen does all of that. There's a static ambient light setting, there's a music setting that interacts with the music, and the movie setting that interacts with the colors on screen. There are a few youtube videos with it in action. $180 for the largest size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page