Building a new home - Help me choose the size of the HT room. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By torii
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By SierraMikeBravo
  • 1 Post By GatorBlues
  • 1 Post By audiovideoholic
  • 2 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 9 Old 12-23-2016, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Building a new home - Help me choose the size of the HT room.

Hello all,

We just closed escrow on an empty lot. Next step is the house plans, which we are currently working on. I keep going back and forth about the size of the dedicated HT.

My current HT is in my 20x20 garage. Screen is "159 da-lite high powered 2.8 gain screen. Projector is PT-AE3000. The front seats have a viewing distance of about 12ft, the back row has a viewing distance of around 18ft. My family and I were very comfortable with this setup. The front seats were as close to the screen as I would go.

So...

I want to stay at around a 15k-30k budget for Projector and screen. Keep in mind, this house will not be ready until late 2017, so I am not really looking for an exact projector at the moment.

I am thinking of building a 30'x25' dedicated HT room. I was first thinking of having a 300" screen, but it might be too big for a 30' length room. Also, the projectors that would be able to power up a 300" screen would be a little too expensive. So, 180"-240" might work better for us. I do like larger screens, as mentions, we are comfortable w/ a 159" screen at 12' and 18' viewing distances.

I do want 3 rows of seating. First row would be a large sectional, the back two rows would be recliners.

Just wanted to get some ideas from you guys.

Is the room too big, too small, too wide, to long?
Any other suggestions you have in regards to my plans?
Will I be able to find a projector to light up a 240" screen within my 15k-30k budget?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121204_215728.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1850145   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121204_215949.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	1850153  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-23-2016, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked: 2071
30x25 is pretty big. I kinda dont mind a smaller room but I do like higher than normal ceilings maybe 12-15ft. i think the ceiling height makes a big difference. Sounds like you building a mansion, good luck.
Rockokma likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #3 of 9 Old 12-23-2016, 03:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6007 Post(s)
Liked: 5594
I think you can have a great three row theater in 20x35 ft, I am more concerned about ceiling height. With a big tall screen, lifting the second and third row high enough to see the bottom of the screen will take some planning.
Rockokma likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-23-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma View Post
Hello all,

We just closed escrow on an empty lot. Next step is the house plans, which we are currently working on. I keep going back and forth about the size of the dedicated HT.

My current HT is in my 20x20 garage. Screen is "159 da-lite high powered 2.8 gain screen. Projector is PT-AE3000. The front seats have a viewing distance of about 12ft, the back row has a viewing distance of around 18ft. My family and I were very comfortable with this setup. The front seats were as close to the screen as I would go.

So...

I want to stay at around a 15k-30k budget for Projector and screen. Keep in mind, this house will not be ready until late 2017, so I am not really looking for an exact projector at the moment.

I am thinking of building a 30'x25' dedicated HT room. I was first thinking of having a 300" screen, but it might be too big for a 30' length room. Also, the projectors that would be able to power up a 300" screen would be a little too expensive. So, 180"-240" might work better for us. I do like larger screens, as mentions, we are comfortable w/ a 159" screen at 12' and 18' viewing distances.

I do want 3 rows of seating. First row would be a large sectional, the back two rows would be recliners.

Just wanted to get some ideas from you guys.

Is the room too big, too small, too wide, to long?
Any other suggestions you have in regards to my plans?
Will I be able to find a projector to light up a 240" screen within my 15k-30k budget?
Three rows will require a 12-14 foot ceiling. 20 foot screen will require a robust projector as well, however, achievable given your budget, but it may eat all of that budget. For a room of that size, you will really need a Trinnov if you intend to install Atmos. A minimum of 6 overheads will be required, and three side surrounds on each side. You might possibly get away with two, but with that width, three would be better. Some potent subs are also needed to fill the room. Theater dimensions are all dependent on what your pocketbook can handle. The dimensions you are considering would be a bit on the pricey side if you want it done right. If you condense the room (depending how many folks you want to put in there), then equipment, treatment, materials, chairs, etc., will all be much less. I did a design not long ago with nearly those same dimensions and requirements. PM me if you need further assistance!
Rockokma likes this.

Shawn Byrne
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA, THX.
Theater Design Information and Examples

[email protected]
[email protected]

Last edited by SierraMikeBravo; 12-23-2016 at 05:33 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-24-2016, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If the room is going in a basement, maybe your builder can drop the floor of the theater room lower than the rest of the basement. That's what my builder is doing for me. That way, my theater will have 10 feet ceilings in the back where you will walk in at the same level as the rest of the basement. Then I will have two steps down into the deeper part of the room for the front of the theater. My one caveat is cost. The builder hasn't told me yet how much extra concrete this is going to require.
Rockokma likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-24-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Yea agree with some of the above.

Ceiling height-14'-18' is a must

For three rows without a baffle wall I would go minimum- 32'-36' for best surround

Width I would go no less than 25' with rows of 4 seats/5 seats go a few feet wider so can use QRD diffusion treatments. Will need aprox 1' of distance to nearest listener per 1" of depth of QRD panel.

I would take advantage of the ceiling height by tearing it so that none of the actual overhead lights are in the line of sight from seated position to their location or even totally keep overhead lights out of the equation between the seats and screen. Can always place them to the sides or hide them in other ways. Think more about how the room is going to be used with the lights off than how it will look with them on is my strategy. We are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in some cases yet have distractions in place for decorative reasons when the lights are on which just defeats the whole purpose IMO- but to each their own.

If you want a super large screen and not an AT screen I would carefully think about your speaker locations and how they will impact the realization of the films or lack there of since they won't be located properly.

IMAX format screens are the thing of the future in my opinion but they require careful tiered seating for all rows to have optimal viewing of the entire screen. I would personally do this with a RealD type high gain AT screen if my room were tall enough. 16' high ceilings is the Acoustical Engineers' preferred height for listening rooms without multiple rows.....but treatments can obviously help that number go way down for us mere mortals. Treatments won't make the ceiling disappear so to speak but they do well enough.

Look forward to seeing such a massive theater build. You need to check out Rob Hahn's build as it is large and built/designed correctly so could give you many ideas. It's one of my favorite theaters of all time!!!
Rockokma likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-24-2016, 01:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6007 Post(s)
Liked: 5594
if you are pouring a multi-level concrete floor, be sure you get it right unless you own a jack hammer. Err on the side of making the sunken portion too big, you can always deck it. If this is your first theater, get a second opinion from a professional theater designer.
Rockokma and audiovideoholic like this.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-24-2016, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for the ideas. I was thinking about a 12ft ceiling, but I didn't consider a few things that you brought up. 16ft may fit my needs more. I love Rob Hahn's build. It's very close to the design I was looking for. I'm skimming through that thread now.

Meeting with the architect this week. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-06-2017, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

We are almost done finalizing the floor plans. The max we can go on the theater room is 30' x 20'. I do want a 240" screen. Is 3 rows pushing the limits for the front row?

Ceiling height can be 12'-16' depending on my preference.

Thinking 3 rows, 4 seats per row.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page