Well I took the plunge and bought the fabric locally. Another big hit but worth the progress I suppose.
The original plan was to simplify using 4x1 inch finger jointed pine. I rummaged through the hardwood thinking it would be stronger but it was pretty twisted. The risk was the only pine I could find was an actual dimension of 3/4”. Attaching the screen was going to be staples along the backside of the frame.
When I got the material home I started second thinking the approach. My big concern was retentioning if ever required. Removing the screen would be a royal pain. So off to HD to pickup materials need to attach the screen material with track and spline.
The first step once the frame was cut to dimensions was to create the tenon for the track to sit. This was the first concern - the pine is 3/4” thick and the track is 5/8” thick. I wasn’t sure if there would be enough material left to provide the necessary support.
During my garage Reno I did a lot of downsizing to make better use of my small garage. I elected to sell my floor standing table saw and go with the battery operated Milwaukee contractor. Great little saw with amazing power but the downside is the size of the blade. It uses an 8.5” small kerf. I wasn’t sure if it could handle the extra mass of a dado stack so I elected to create the tenons with a router. It worked but took several passes with incremental depths to get where I needed. It took about an hour to cut them all.
I’ll be using angle brackets to attach and strengthen the mitres but added biscuits to help with alignment.
The only blade that I had handy was a little big but worked fine as the fabric will cover the overage.
Next step, install the spline track. We made the tenon as tight as possible so there really wasn’t a need to glue, I added some epoxy anyway for good measure.
And lastly the wrapping of the fabric. This went surprisingly well with two people. I sprayed the front side with 3M spray adhesive. With the fabric rolled up one of us rolling it out while the other aligned and attached.
We then flipped the board and spayed the back side after masking the track. This was a little tricky so as not to spray everything around it. Sliding a piece of cardboard underneath worked well just had to be certain to change the cardboard out with each spray.
The ends were a little tricky and difficult to explain. A little cutting of the excess and folding like a present did the trick using a couple of staples to keep things in place.
And that’s where I’m at. I’ve cut the slits in the ends of the fabric to reinsert the biscuits. The result isn’t as tidy as I had hoped. I had to remove a lot of material to keep it from bunching up in the biscuit joints. I’ve dry fit the joints and it feels okay. I’ll see how tight I can get things when I attach the L brackets on the backside.
One thing I completely overlooked was the bracing. I knew going with a wood frame would require center braces. What I didn’t account for was the screen material being attached on the backside of the frame. Because of this I won’t be able to place the bracing flush on the inside - that would put it on the front side of the actual screen. The plan now is to attach the screen then a 1/4” spacer only where the two braces will be, then attach the braces to the backside of the frame. Not ideal but it won’t be seen and I can’t think of another way of getting me there.
I definitely underestimated the time this would take. I thought I’d have the screen hung in a few hours, we’re 9 hours in to this point!