The 'El Unico' Theatre Build - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes

post #391 of 422 Old 05-10-2019, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post
Yeah, just wanting the bleeding to stop!
I don't think it does! Always a potential upgrade to do somewhere. You may want to try something less expensive, like racing cars or just burning money. At least that's what it feel like for me!

Looks great though!

Darren
pkinneb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 422 Old 05-11-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1804
Quote:
Yeah, just wanting the bleeding to stop!
Stonewater Cinema says "Hold my beer...."
post #393 of 422 Old 05-11-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Haha. Amazing how quickly a budget becomes a guideline.
brazensol likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 422 Old 05-11-2019, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here’s a shot of the benches. They’re 2ft wide giving me the 4ft width when combined to handle sheets. Works excellent for ripping with the track saw. Two rods extend out to receive the table saw. They both find a home under permanent benches.

post #395 of 422 Old 05-11-2019, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I didn’t have a lot of time to work today, spent most of the day with the grandson and the John Deere. Boy he loves that thing, spent over an hour driving around the neighbourhood.

I’m using Big’s minimalist approach for the screen with the modifications he used on the White Oaks build. The goal posts will be standard but no cross beams. Instead I’m using three boxes mounted to the ceiling - these are what the French cleats will mount to.

Pretty simple build but there was some math involved. There’s very little space top and bottom of the screen so it’s important that the height of the panels top and bottom are exact - any deviation will be easy to spot with the small size of just under 5”. That alone isn’t too challenging, it’s getting the placement of the French cleat perfect while allowing enough space between the cleat hanger and the ceiling. The screen will have to be raised above the clear before it’s dropped down on the hanger. I’ve made the mistake of putting the clear too high so many times before on other projects. So frustrating when you forget the clearance to hang the thing.

Here are some quick shots of the build, not much but another step forward.

If you’re looking for a flat black that won’t chalk, forever, here it is. They’ve figured it out for spray paint why the hell can’t they apply the same technology to brush paint!?

And here’s the cleat that I’ll be using. 200lb strength times 3 cleats should be more than enough holding power.

Ladeback, p3bham and bubbrik like this.
post #396 of 422 Old 05-13-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Here’s a shot of the benches. They’re 2ft wide giving me the 4ft width when combined to handle sheets. Works excellent for ripping with the track saw. Two rods extend out to receive the table saw. They both find a home under permanent benches.

I take it you don't park your vehicles in the garage or at least not yours? I am envious of your shop and some of the others I see on here. I have the room in my basement, but am not that much in to building things out of wood like I was as teenager working at my stepfathers lumberyard. you have a very nice setup.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #397 of 422 Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Here’s a shot of the benches.
After the Ron Paulk design? I like those a lot they are very versatile. Nice work there. It's always amazing to me the amount of resources that are out there these days for woodworking and basically everything else. Pretty much anything you want to do you can search and get an instructible or youtube that will if not tell you exactly how to do it give you the springboard to make your own version. I'm an experienced woodworker - but I know next to nothing about working on cars. A youtube video and some parts later and I replaced the alternator and radiator on my SUV. Idk why your workbench made my mind go to this line of thinking but....

Roll Tide.
post #398 of 422 Old 05-13-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Haha. Amazing how quickly a budget becomes a guideline.
I quickly tossed my budget out the window!

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #399 of 422 Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What are you using for flooring on the garage floor?

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #400 of 422 Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I take it you don't park your vehicles in the garage or at least not yours? I am envious of your shop and some of the others I see on here. I have the room in my basement, but am not that much in to building things out of wood like I was as teenager working at my stepfathers lumberyard. you have a very nice setup.
Suggestion: Cut out images from your quote so that you aren't doubling scroll effort for other visitors (unless you have a particular image that you are speaking toward).

On-topic: It sounds like he will be able to park in his garage since he mentioned that the bench can be rolled into permanent spot under another table/shelf.
post #401 of 422 Old 05-13-2019, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Thank you, it's taken a long time to get it here and still more to be done but I'm happy with it. My truck won't fit unfortunately but the design had my wife's car in mind. Everything is built around the perimeter with equipment, or benches, on casters to move it to the center of the space when needed.
p3bham likes this.
post #402 of 422 Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
After the Ron Paulk design? I like those a lot they are very versatile. Nice work there. It's always amazing to me the amount of resources that are out there these days for woodworking and basically everything else. Pretty much anything you want to do you can search and get an instructible or youtube that will if not tell you exactly how to do it give you the springboard to make your own version. I'm an experienced woodworker - but I know next to nothing about working on cars. A youtube video and some parts later and I replaced the alternator and radiator on my SUV. Idk why your workbench made my mind go to this line of thinking but....
You bet, I purchased Ron's design. It's an amazing time to be a hobbyist with so many amazing creators on youtube these days.
p3bham likes this.
post #403 of 422 Old 05-13-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
What are you using for flooring on the garage floor?
I used a product called SwissTrax - http://swisstrax.com. Its a dense plastic, 13"x13" squares in a number of different colours and configurations. I had considered epoxy but the pad was showing it's age and would have needed a lot of cleanup. I've also heard horror stories about UV yellowing and oil stains. This product sits up off the floor about 1/2" and lets everything fall through. A pressure wash in the spring and fall to remove all the crap and it's good as new.
brazensol likes this.
post #404 of 422 Old 05-13-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I used a product called SwissTrax - http://swisstrax.com. Its a dense plastic, 13"x13" squares in a number of different colours and configurations. I had considered epoxy but the pad was showing it's age and would have needed a lot of cleanup. I've also heard horror stories about UV yellowing and oil stains. This product sits up off the floor about 1/2" and lets everything fall through. A pressure wash in the spring and fall to remove all the crap and it's good as new.
What are your thoughts about using it for a wood shop floor? Since it is for a garage I assume it can stand up to heavy rolling toolboxes and such?

Denali Cinema
post #405 of 422 Old 05-13-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just looked at the website - they can take it!

Denali Cinema
post #406 of 422 Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yup, would recommend it. I was hesitant with a all the casters I have on everything but no issue what so ever.
post #407 of 422 Old 05-23-2019, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just read your entire thread. Nice job! I laughed at the stain in your carpet! I saw you had some issues with noise from your dead vent. I'm planning my HVAC right now. I see you've moved on to bigger and better things so hopefully you figured out the problem. We're you able to fix it?
post #408 of 422 Old 05-24-2019, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Appreciate it, it’s been a hell of a haul.

The dead vent is still an issue but I’ve reserved it for another day. There’s no doubt the noise is coming from the painful twists and turns. I have access to both the soffit above the stage where the duct resides and the front of the dead vent. Once the dust settles I’ll take a weekend and get that worked out.

At the end of the day the noise isn’t excessive, just annoying after all the work that went in to keeping it as quiet as possible. The wife and I did watch a quick movie on a 55” display and did feel we were getting a little warm by the end of it. I’ll have to do some re-routing if the fan input as I think it’s too close to the output. If that doesn’t work the backup plan has always been to install a portable A/C unit pushing air into the dead vent. I live in central Alberta so ducted A/C although nice to have, would only be used a few times a year. I do regret not going with a mini-split but they run north of $5,000 here as professional installation is a requirement.
post #409 of 422 Old 05-24-2019, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Gouie! I'm planning out my HVAC right now and it's good to hear feedback from someone in a northern climate. I'm leaning on not going with a mini-split but may consider it if it's a problem. Sorry to hear it's still an issue but hopefully you'll get it figured out. Best of luck!
post #410 of 422 Old 05-24-2019, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You bet, let me know if you’d like further insight when you get closer.
post #411 of 422 Old 05-24-2019, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, we may have found our new go-to; Nuevo Vallarta. We’ve heard from locals that it’s pretty busy in high season but in mid-May - beautiful and just the right amount of people.

They’ve even jumped into the EV market.
bubbrik and pkinneb like this.
post #412 of 422 Old 06-04-2019, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

We have some rain coming this week and with that, an opportunity to put some time into the basement.

I’d like to get started on the wiring closet. My furnace room looks like a tornado ripped though it and my wife is starting to look at me funny.

I’m looking for opinions on how to access the rack. My two options are install in the mechanical room with the equipment accessible to the right as you walk in (the open area to the right in the other side of the door under the stairs) or break through the wall to the right of the door and have the equipment visible and accessible from the main living area. I’m looking to install an electronic movie poster to the right of the popcorn machine.

Here are some pictures of the situation, I hope it makes sense could really use your opinions as this is a big decision.

post #413 of 422 Old 06-09-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I decided to stick with the original plan and keep the closet out of site. The worst dye in the process is to organize the wiring so that it’s safe and clear of framing work.

Honestly, I thought I’d bang it out in a couple of days, framing to drywall - boy was I wrong. 3 days in and this is where I’m at.

The mess

Temporary “organization”

And back wall framing

This will take a while.

Another decision, I’m losing the rack. It’s an APC data center rack so its wider than HT and its really deep. I could make the width work because the plan all along has been to fabricate shelves vs rack mounting. The problem I have is the depth. Finishing the underside of the stairs will eliminate the ability to sneak the rack under one of the stair rises and I’ll no longer be able to fit it in the space.

Not the end of the world, it was a freebie anyway. Just means more time and effort to build a shelving unit.
post #414 of 422 Old 06-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 125
One of the most important aspects of equipment is easy access to both the front and rear of the equipment. From your pics and explanation I cannot visualize whether you’ll have access to both.

Just something to consider. Access to the rear via side access can work as long as there is enough room to get your head and arms/hands in there to connect cables and such ...
post #415 of 422 Old 06-09-2019, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The 'El Unico' Theatre Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
One of the most important aspects of equipment is easy access to both the front and rear of the equipment. From your pics and explanation I cannot visualize whether you’ll have access to both.

Just something to consider. Access to the rear via side access can work as long as there is enough room to get your head and arms/hands in there to connect cables and such ...

Completely agree. Here is a shot from the side. The plan is to add a small door between studs. It will require a bit of a squat to get through the door but that’s fine. I’ll have to move one of the existing studs to make the entrance wider but will wait until the equipment cabinet is built. This will allow for the right placement of the opening behind the cabinet.

The biggest challenge is the water lines. I had a completely different location planned for the closet when I moved all the water lines years ago. I’ll likely have to temporarily detach the backer board to move the stud and attach drywall. Hopefully there’s enough slack in the lines. The other option is to simply chop the stud and build out the door header ( is that what it’s called?) as I don’t believe it is load baring - there is a beam and pole just to the right as seen in the picture.

I’ll also be building the cabinet on rollers. This will allow me to pull it out for those times I’m performing major surgery back there and could use the extra space.
texpilot likes this.

Last edited by Gouie; 06-09-2019 at 01:30 PM.
post #416 of 422 Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I decided to stick with the original plan and keep the closet out of site. The worst dye in the process is to organize the wiring so that it’s safe and clear of framing work.

Honestly, I thought I’d bang it out in a couple of days, framing to drywall - boy was I wrong. 3 days in and this is where I’m at.

This will take a while.

Another decision, I’m losing the rack. It’s an APC data center rack so its wider than HT and its really deep. I could make the width work because the plan all along has been to fabricate shelves vs rack mounting. The problem I have is the depth. Finishing the underside of the stairs will eliminate the ability to sneak the rack under one of the stair rises and I’ll no longer be able to fit it in the space.

Not the end of the world, it was a freebie anyway. Just means more time and effort to build a shelving unit.
Just remove the offending riser/tread and post a sign telling everyone to watch their step!

You work at about the same speed as I do. Now I just estimate the time I'll need and double it...

Denali Cinema
post #417 of 422 Old 06-10-2019, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Just remove the offending riser/tread and post a sign telling everyone to watch their step!

You work at about the same speed as I do. Now I just estimate the time I'll need and double it...

Exactly, or rip them out and replace with a fire pole.

Amazing even after all of the work that I’ve done throughout the property that I’m still miserable at estimating effort. I had 3 hours free yesterday, just enough time to install a retaining wall for a garden that my wife’s been waiting 3 years for. I have the trench dug and crush down
brazensol likes this.
post #418 of 422 Old 06-14-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A quick update for no other reason than it makes me feel like I’m accomplishing something!

On the equipment front, just received these to play near field duty. A big thanks to @Mahuzz13 who put the effort in to ship these cross country for me. Not something he had to do.

We had a little rain again so managed to get more work done in the closet. I have all of the wiring sorted and fed through make-shift organizers. Not pretty but it will be covered with drywall. As I completed and took a step back I think I’ll change the approach slightly. I was going to attempt to line up the drywall with pre-drill holes for the wiring but that doesn’t seem plausible. I’m now going to attach the “organizers” to the back of the drywall before mounting. This will eliminate the complexity of feeding the cables and also add rigidity to the drywall. Running the cable through a hole alone would chip away at the edges. I’ll do the same for the conduit runs.

And to make it feel more like a segregated space, a quick chunk of drywall.

LydMekk and bubbrik like this.
post #419 of 422 Old 06-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
A quick update for no other reason than it makes me feel like I’m accomplishing something!

On the equipment front, just received these to play near field duty. A big thanks to @Mahuzz13 who put the effort in to ship these cross country for me. Not something he had to do.

We had a little rain again so managed to get more work done in the closet. I have all of the wiring sorted and fed through make-shift organizers. Not pretty but it will be covered with drywall. As I completed and took a step back I think I’ll change the approach slightly. I was going to attempt to line up the drywall with pre-drill holes for the wiring but that doesn’t seem plausible. I’m now going to attach the “organizers” to the back of the drywall before mounting. This will eliminate the complexity of feeding the cables and also add rigidity to the drywall. Running the cable through a hole alone would chip away at the edges. I’ll do the same for the conduit runs.

And to make it feel more like a segregated space, a quick chunk of drywall.

Hey Gouie it was my pleasure and it was no big deal getting these awesome speakers to a new home. I know you will enjoy these as nearfield as I have felt them in @Jk7.2 theatre and they kick the crap out of you in a good way. I know @eng-399 design the box for him., reach out to either one and I’m sure they will help you out.

Great build by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #420 of 422 Old 06-18-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've read through your build thread here Gouie and it's very informative and entertaining. You've done fantastic work so far!

I believe I read you went with the "Granite" fabric because "Graphite" was unavailable, and you painted the ceiling and soffits black, I don't think I saw what color is the lower woodwork is (columns, trim, etc)? Is it black or gray? Do you remember the color and manufacturer? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page