The 'El Unico' Theatre Build - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 212Likes

post #421 of 455 Old 06-18-2019, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebracatzebra View Post
I've read through your build thread here Gouie and it's very informative and entertaining. You've done fantastic work so far!

I believe I read you went with the "Granite" fabric because "Graphite" was unavailable, and you painted the ceiling and soffits black, I don't think I saw what color is the lower woodwork is (columns, trim, etc)? Is it black or gray? Do you remember the color and manufacturer? Thanks!

Hey there, I appreciate the kind words. You are correct; I really liked the graphite but they stopped manufacturing it just before I ordered.

The upper soffits are black and the ceiling will be covered in black acoustic fabric. Everything else in the room is a dark grey paint bought from Homedepot. I’m out of town at the moment but will get the colour for you when I’m back later this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 455 Old 06-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post
I’m out of town at the moment but will get the colour for you when I’m back later this week.
I'd appreciate that, thanks. I'm in the middle of my theater construction and had my mind set on black painted trim and Charcoal DMD fabric panels, but I love your balance of grays with the black chairs and wood accents so much I'm probably going to switch themes.
post #423 of 455 Old 07-31-2019, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
When you have an opportunity can you look up the grey color you used in your theater? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 455 Old 08-05-2019, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Shoot, sorry about that. Here you go.

zebracatzebra and WIKED like this.
post #425 of 455 Old 08-30-2019, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

With summer coming to a near end (what summer if you’re located in central Alberta) it’s time to resurrect this never-ending build. I’m still a couple of weeks out from any material progress but am pulling together a bill of materials to place my third, very last order .

I’m wondering if anyone has any advice/experience with a fibre ceiling. Yes, I know there’s a very comprehensive paint vs. Fibre thread that I’ve made my way through but I thought I’d start here.

I pretty well have things figured out in terms of the product I’m using and how much fibre I require, I’m more hung up on how to mount. It’s a fairly small ceiling so I’m thinking I can get away with 4 panels made of 1/2” MDF, wrapped in acoustic material. This will simplify accounting for the speakers as the MDF mounted to the ceiling that will house the speakers is 3/4”. This will allow for a 3/4” gap between the panel and the ceiling and ensure that a simple hole the diameter of the speaker will be enough to funnel the sound.

My bigger question is how to mount the panels? The immediate thought is the simple method of furring strips an inch wide around the perimeter of the panel. Problem is where the two panels meet in the middle of the ceiling there will be a 2” wide area that does not have any fibre. Will this cause a noticeable unlit area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #426 of 455 Old 09-27-2019, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quite the hiatus but I’m back with an update, a “huge” update.

First of all I’m thrilled that the last piece of the shop is finally here. My wife suffers from allergies that are exasperated by all of the MDF I’ve been cutting lately. This should help to keep the air nice and clean.

And after a solid week of time in the shop, the twins are near completion! Every sub build seems to require a name. I hear by name these monsters .... Kevin. I knew a Kevin growing up, he was big and loud.

The hard bit is out of the way, should be smooth sailing from here on out. Winter is in the air here with a foot of snow expected in the southern part of the province this weekend. I really need these finished soon so that I can paint them before the snow flies.

I’ll post the question in the sub forum but wondering if the process is to stuff ported boxes. Certainly sealed but not sure about big ported enclosures like these. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

TMcG and pkinneb like this.
post #427 of 455 Old 09-27-2019, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Can't wait to see the finished products! You do awesome work!! What side of the city are you on? I live in the Hamptons myself
post #428 of 455 Old 09-27-2019, 04:18 PM
Oh ya I'm a Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Quite the hiatus but I’m back with an update, a “huge” update.

First of all I’m thrilled that the last piece of the shop is finally here. My wife suffers from allergies that are exasperated by all of the MDF I’ve been cutting lately. This should help to keep the air nice and clean.

And after a solid week of time in the shop, the twins are near completion! Every sub build seems to require a name. I hear by name these monsters .... Kevin. I knew a Kevin growing up, he was big and loud.

The hard bit is out of the way, should be smooth sailing from here on out. Winter is in the air here with a foot of snow expected in the southern part of the province this weekend. I really need these finished soon so that I can paint them before the snow flies.

I’ll post the question in the sub forum but wondering if the process is to stuff ported boxes. Certainly sealed but not sure about big ported enclosures like these. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

Nice job on the cabs there mister! I like the bracing and the effort that went into those! I too cant wait to see the finished product.
Just a heads up, budget for your BOSS platform now... ha, I just finished mine and its, well crazy good. It's like going from black and white to a color TV upgrade for subs.

klaatu barada nik*cough*
Denon AVR-X4300H/Turd Sony- 7.4.4
Polk Rti A9 LCR, Volt6 Surrounds and Heights
Inuke 3000,6000- 2x HO18 sealed, 2x Ultimax18 sealed, MiniDSP HD
PT ae8000 Projector, Sony UBP-X800, Harmony Elite, Falcon 110 2:35.1 Screen
post #429 of 455 Old 09-27-2019, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181 View Post
Can't wait to see the finished products! You do awesome work!! What side of the city are you on? I live in the Hamptons myself

You and I both!

I’m just east of Sherwood Park, Ardrossan area.
post #430 of 455 Old 09-29-2019, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medi0gre View Post
Nice job on the cabs there mister! I like the bracing and the effort that went into those! I too cant wait to see the finished product.

Just a heads up, budget for your BOSS platform now... ha, I just finished mine and its, well crazy good. It's like going from black and white to a color TV upgrade for subs.

Great, the last thing I need!

BOSS, are those drivers or bass management?

post #431 of 455 Old 09-29-2019, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The 'El Unico' Theatre Build

Kevin lives! Well, almost.

I had solid weekend in the shop working to finish the enclosures. First thing to tackle was the foam. In hindsight I should have simply stuffed them but the material was already purchased and I wanted to get moving. I ended up using 3 full queen mattress toppers. A ton of measure, cut, spray glue, watch the foam fall off, then staple. I really like the 3M spray adhesive but it’s not so great when you have to spray the foam and not the wood. The foam absorbs the glue and it dries very quickly.

Next step, the face. These are massive drivers so I’ve elected to go with two 3/4” sheets. The first cutout supports the lip and the second cutout adds depth to come closer to flush with the driver.

Cutting a precise circle is pretty easy with a router and jig. I’ll run through the process for those interested. Using any spare sheet material, grab a piece longer than the radius of the circle you’re cutting and about 3” wide. I like 3/4” material for increased stability. At the end of the strip cut a circle roughly the size of the base of your router. You end up with something like this.

The router base likely has a removable plate attached by a couple of screws. Remove the plate and use the mounting holes to attach it to the jig. You’ll likely need longer screws than those that come with the base due to the thickness of the jig. Drill out holes the same diameter of the screws. Because the head of the screw will be on the underside, they’ll have to be recessed. Drill out the holes using a bit the diameter of the screw head, stopping when the depth of the hole is enough to bury the screw head - don’t go all the way through. Forsner bits work really well for this. Then drill a hole through the center of the jig to accommodate the router bit.

All set. Measure from the outside of the bit, the radius that you need and use a screw as the pivot point.

Here are a few tips that I’ve learned over the years.

1.) When cutting MDF, DUST COLLECTION!!! This stuff spews fine dust like nobody’s business. Keep a vacuum hose at the bit of the router while you cut as well. This will keep it out of the air but will also make it easier for the bit to rip through the wood.

2.) Use a sacrificial piece under the sheet that you’re cutting and attach both the sacrificial and good piece to the bench. I use a sacrificial piece roughly the size of the work piece and attach them both to the bench with clamps. Then attach the router jig to both the work and sacrificial piece. The reason for this is two fold; first if the work piece is elevated off the bench then the dust has an easy exit and it’s very difficult to collect it. Second, if you’re not mounting the jig to something other than the work piece, when the circle being cut let’s go the jig is now free to move and it will gouge the work piece.

3.) Take it slow. Don’t jam the router through the full width of the board and expect a smooth finish. 3/4” MDF can take 3 or 4 passes with small incremental depths.

The first sheet

And the second

To finish the face off the foam was added. Dropped in place, the large opening made it easy to reach in and trace out the location of the bracing to remove the foam.

And the test mount!

Still some work to do; flush trimming and round over of the edges, cutting out the port openings and of course paint but we’re getting closer.
JPeezy13, Lynkage, TMcG and 4 others like this.
post #432 of 455 Old 09-30-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Solid use of the zip ties, to be able to pull that driver back out! Great work!
post #433 of 455 Old 09-30-2019, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Nice job explaining the router jig to those who don't know about it. Once you reach a certain level in woodworking it doesn't matter how many awesome tools you have - if you can't make and use jigs properly then you can never work as fast or well as you potentially could.
PreciseD and pkinneb like this.

Roll Tide.
post #434 of 455 Old 09-30-2019, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Solid use of the zip ties, to be able to pull that driver back out! Great work!

You caught that did you? I was an inch away from dropping it in when it dawned on me - not going to be easy to pull it out afterwards.

DougUSMC likes this.
post #435 of 455 Old 09-30-2019, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
Nice job explaining the router jig to those who don't know about it. Once you reach a certain level in woodworking it doesn't matter how many awesome tools you have - if you can't make and use jigs properly then you can never work as fast or well as you potentially could.

You’re absolutely right. The use of jigs has opened up a whole new world for me.

p3bham and pkinneb like this.
post #436 of 455 Old 10-01-2019, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
You caught that did you? I was an inch away from dropping it in when it dawned on me - not going to be easy to pull it out afterwards.
I think I made the mistake of not using them the first time on my Fusion 15's, without realizing it was a mistake. IDK who the first person to use them in a build thread, but I needed NO explanation when I saw it. It really *was* one of those "No DUH!!" moments for me, and I haven't forgotten them since!
pkinneb likes this.
post #437 of 455 Old 10-01-2019, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The 'El Unico' Theatre Build

A quick update for this morning. I was able to get a lot done yesterday although none of the work very flashy. Lots of sanding and trimming, but I thought I’d take a minute to explain my approach to perfect edges. Nothing new but I’ll share nonetheless.

A box seems like a pretty simple thing to make but I’ve learned that rarely can you be perfect dimensionally. This is due to a number of factors from being 1/32” out on your pencil mark to very subtle movements at the saw. Because of this I like to make my length sheets 1/8” longer than required. This leaves roughly 1/16” on either end that can be trimmed flush with a router.

My router of choice is the Festool edge router. It’s a great router but what I really like about it is this little guard that holds the bearing on your bit from spinning at high RPM. Not so critical with a piece thats being painted but for wood that will be stained, a spinning bearing will burn the wood when it first touches. Great little feature.

Here’s a shot of the flush trim bit with the bearing at the top vs the bottom.

And here’s a before and after; I over emphasized the overlap here to make it easier to see.

Then the fun part, filling gaps. I’m guessing 3 coats to get the finish I’m after. Positive is this stuff spreads great, dries quick, and sands easily. I used it for my surround enclosures and was impressed.

TMcG, p3bham and pkinneb like this.

Last edited by Gouie; 10-01-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #438 of 455 Old 10-06-2019, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Made some more progress today. All the filling is complete, sanded and ready for paint.

I’ve been eying an HVLP for quite some time now. It’s been a while since this project supported an additional tool so here we go. I landed on a Fuji. I debated the 4 turbine but settled for a 3 due to cost. The 4 demands another $300.

I have little to no experience spraying with all of my previous attempts resulting in disappointment. I now know that’s because of the cheap electric sprayers I have used. This thing is excellent. With the 3 turbine model I’m forced to dilute a little more which means more coats but I’m good with that. Boy, for my first attempt with this machine I’m really happy with the results.

From this:

To this:

Obviously very difficult to show texture in a picture but trust me, for a matte primer it’s smooth.

What’s game changing with the HVLP is the significant decrease in over spray and the ability to dial in the coverage. You see in the before picture I had the driver opening masked off. I ended up removing the masking and dialling the spray right down to a tight stream. That allowed me to spray the opening where the driver sits without covering the foam. Just awesome!

Tomorrow is leaf raking before the weather turns Tuesday. Hoping to get back to them Wednesday and have the painting complete by the weekend.
post #439 of 455 Old 10-07-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1887
Is it me or does anyone else 'nerd out' with the glimpses of OCD goodness in the foreground AND the background of all the pics? Everything seems so neat, clean and easy as if put together by magic and highly experienced elves working the night shift.

I had my eye on that Fuji HVLP before going even cheaper with an Earlex HV5500 Spray Station for just a whisker under $300. Haven't sprayed anything yet, but I've got it! Haha. I was going to spray the final coat of Duratex to my sub boxes using the new spray system. I'm excited to try it. Your post gives me just that much more inspiration.

Keep up the great work!

Last edited by TMcG; 10-07-2019 at 05:00 PM.
post #440 of 455 Old 10-07-2019, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That’s a real complement coming from you, appreciate it!

You won’t be disappointed with the sprayer. Not sure if Duratex will be too thick for it but if it can handle it, there’s no better way to apply material in my opinion.

TMcG likes this.
post #441 of 455 Old 10-08-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I had my eye on that Fuji HVLP before going even cheaper with an Earlex HV5500 Spray Station for just a whisker under $300. Haven't sprayed anything yet, but I've got it! Haha. I was going to spray the final coat of Duratex to my sub boxes using the new spray system. I'm excited to try it. Your post gives me just that much more inspiration.
The Earlex will be fine I had one for years and put everything through it - even Latex paint. The Latex had to be thinned down pretty good but it worked fine. I have a four stage Fuji now and am totally satisfied with it, but I would say that the Earlex is about 95% as good as the Fuji when it comes to surface finish, it just comes down to having to thin the materials more with the Earlex.

Roll Tide.
post #442 of 455 Old 10-10-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
I would say that the Earlex is about 95% as good as the Fuji when it comes to surface finish, it just comes down to having to thin the materials more with the Earlex.
I guess this is moot since I already revealed I hadn't sprayed anything with my Earlex yet, but a good joke would have been to react with disgust about the 95% finish quality with immediate pronouncements of going back and redoing everything I already sprayed to get to 100% with the Fuji. Not that I'd ever do that type of thing...*cough* *cough*....
p3bham likes this.
post #443 of 455 Old 10-10-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, a pretty significant set back. All has gone well with prep and I was ready to come home last night and start spraying paint. That was until I received a text from my wife yesterday morning.

My make-shift spray booth was attached to the overhead garage door. The cabinets are on dollies that in turn we’re sitting on the plastic. As my wife was rushing to leave in the morning, she inadvertently opened the garage door. This set in motion a chain reaction and ultimately one of the cabinets taking a tumble.

Thankfully I had a 10L can of mineral spirits directly in front of it that acted to break the fall. There is damage to the backside and two edges but it could have been much worse. I’m hoping to have it repaired and primer sprayed tonight so as to get to the paint this weekend. We’re expecting snow next week. If I’m not ready in advance moving the cabinets around the back of the house will be an absolute bear!
post #444 of 455 Old 10-10-2019, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 323
While I am sorry this happened thanks for posting! I am getting ready to make a temp spray area in our third stall and will now add unplug opener to my list
DougUSMC and Mahuzz13 like this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #445 of 455 Old 10-11-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I guess this is moot since I already revealed I hadn't sprayed anything with my Earlex yet, but a good joke would have been to react with disgust about the 95% finish quality with immediate pronouncements of going back and redoing everything I already sprayed to get to 100% with the Fuji. Not that I'd ever do that type of thing...*cough* *cough*....
DAMN I hate missing the opportunity to poke fun at the Stonewater's patented ocd course reversal. Must be losing my fastball...

Quote:
Well, a pretty significant set back.
Bummer man hate to hear that. Glad it wasn't worse and that it looks as if you can fix it.

Roll Tide.
post #446 of 455 Old 10-15-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Full update coming soon .....

p3bham likes this.
post #447 of 455 Old 10-16-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Great, the last thing I need!
BOSS, are those drivers or bass management?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...y-theater.html

Love theater. Great detail and I have saved quite a bit for future reference.

Ryan
post #448 of 455 Old 10-16-2019, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad you like it and happy to hear I’m able to share some knowledge.

BOSS; doh! Really wish I’d seen that before buying my 18” near field drivers, and amp, and building an enclosure, and .....
post #449 of 455 Old 10-16-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It seems very inexpensive to give it a shot especially for somebody handy like yourself. Get yourself a black Friday deal next month and give it a whirl when time permits!

Not to mention @trhought is more than helpful in his thread.
post #450 of 455 Old 10-16-2019, 05:23 PM
Oh ya I'm a Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

BOSS; doh! Really wish I’d seen that before buying my 18” near field drivers, and amp, and building an enclosure, and .....
Oh you still want those!... but the BOSS is some nice frosty icing
Rjloper9 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page