"The Spartan's Will" Theater Build - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 275Likes

post #31 of 323 Old 06-11-2017, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Just a final update for the weekend's work. I decided I'm going to mount the projector in the soffit. After running the tests yesterday and seeing clearly that it will work, I just think it is the best option, plus it will offer a bit more headroom under the back soffit. So I framed in the box and cut some of the MDF for the interior. I'll line the box eventually with something like linacoustic. I will also put a fan in the back of the box, with a short duct running to a vent on the underside of the soffit, just to pull room air into the back of the box. Have to find a small, quiet, yet powerful fan. The Epson 6040UB has both the intake and exhaust vents on the front, so this will be more to just circulate air around the unit.

I also finished the horizontal framework around the bottom of the soffit. My plan will be to add a 1/2" MDF base, with about a 2-3" ledge, which I'll use for lighting as I've seen many others do. I've also got to get my HVAC company back out to finish the ductwork into the side of the soffit and install the registers.

Also, the 4 holes in the ceiling, are the backer boxes I have mounted for the Atmos speakers. They are just small holes so I knew where they are, but will be fully opened soon when I get ready to paint the room.

Overall, a good weekend of work!

brian6751 likes this.

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater

Last edited by luv2fly3; 12-30-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 323 Old 06-12-2017, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Coming along nicely. Keep it up!
luv2fly3 likes this.
post #33 of 323 Old 06-12-2017, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
i like that projector in the soffit idea. will look a lot cleaner that way.
luv2fly3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 323 Old 06-13-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Amazing progress! This is shaping up to be an awesome space!
luv2fly3 likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #35 of 323 Old 07-06-2017, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Soffit is built and columns are now in progress. Even though I only have one done so far, the room really is starting to take shape. I have the pieces all cut, so hopefully I can get the rest done by the end of the week. Sorry for the weak lighting. I removed the soffit bulbs when I did the work on that. 4" recessed lights will soon go in.

One question I did have is how much of a gap I should leave at the top and bottom of the columns? I figured about 1/4" at top and 3/8" at bottom for carpet. Should I do more?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Spartans' Theater Build
post #36 of 323 Old 07-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 517
This looks great! Very eager to get my room moving along as well as the framing is just now complete
luv2fly3 likes this.
post #37 of 323 Old 07-06-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Did you decide on a screen material yet? Don't remember seeing your viewing distance listed, but for a 130" wide screen I imagine you are over 10 feet, probably 11 feet or so. With those parameters XD seems like a great choice to maximize brightness. This will likely be seen as misguided heresy, but if I had an XD screen I would seriously consider stretching a layer of thin white spandex up against the back of it.

Just hear me out.
The reason that "whiteness" behind spandex or even UF causes a drop in sharpness is that the material itself is semi transparent and will glow. Just look at the back of them while projecting a bright image. There is a blooming effect that impacts pixel to pixel contrast and therefore sharpness of the image.
XD on the other hand is coated with a solid, vinyl like compound and is opaque except for the tiny holes created by the weave. With a black backer, light passing through is absorbed, reducing gain, and also makes the weave or holes in the material more obvious. With a white layer behind the small amount of light passing through the holes is reflected back, which increases gain and decreased visibility of the weave (noticeably so in both cases). Because the threads are opaque the light coming back through does not cause blooming or a loss of sharpness.

Chris Seymour would probably advise against it, but for $20 worth of spandex its worth a try. My observations were made on a small sample. Ultimately I went with spandex because I didn't need the gain and at my 9.5' viewing distance the XD weave was still visible, though barely with the white spandex behind.

Top notch build by the way. Following along to see how it all turns out.
post #38 of 323 Old 07-07-2017, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Did you decide on a screen material yet? Don't remember seeing your viewing distance listed, but for a 130" wide screen I imagine you are over 10 feet, probably 11 feet or so. With those parameters XD seems like a great choice to maximize brightness. This will likely be seen as misguided heresy, but if I had an XD screen I would seriously consider stretching a layer of thin white spandex up against the back of it.

Just hear me out.
The reason that "whiteness" behind spandex or even UF causes a drop in sharpness is that the material itself is semi transparent and will glow. Just look at the back of them while projecting a bright image. There is a blooming effect that impacts pixel to pixel contrast and therefore sharpness of the image.
XD on the other hand is coated with a solid, vinyl like compound and is opaque except for the tiny holes created by the weave. With a black backer, light passing through is absorbed, reducing gain, and also makes the weave or holes in the material more obvious. With a white layer behind the small amount of light passing through the holes is reflected back, which increases gain and decreased visibility of the weave (noticeably so in both cases). Because the threads are opaque the light coming back through does not cause blooming or a loss of sharpness.

Chris Seymour would probably advise against it, but for $20 worth of spandex its worth a try. My observations were made on a small sample. Ultimately I went with spandex because I didn't need the gain and at my 9.5' viewing distance the XD weave was still visible, though barely with the white spandex behind.

Top notch build by the way. Following along to see how it all turns out.
Thanks! I'm still not 100% sure on the screen yet. If I go with Seymour screen material, the XD will definitely be my choice as I really feel that will be the best option. With my screen being around 10' from the eyes of the front row, I'm very confident in that material's ability to remain moire free and be the best choice. As far as the white spandex, hmmm...interesting idea. Definitely couldn't be any harm in trying it while building my screen if I go that route. If I do, I'll definitely post any results I find. The other option I'm considering, just to help get things done quicker and limit additional cost is a Silver Ticket screen. I read good things about them, so I may go that route. Not sure yet.

Anxious to get to that point!

Spartans' Theater Build
post #39 of 323 Old 07-07-2017, 04:24 PM
lmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm enjoying watching your theater build! I lived in DeWitt for years and have many Sparty's in the family. I'm jealous of your basement build. I did an extensive home theater build as part of a basement while I lived up north, and I now live in Florida. I am starting on a new theater room, but living in the land of high water tables and no basements, my room space is much, much smaller. On the plus side, I have 9'6" ceilings. All in all, I'd gladly take the great space of a basement, even with their sometimes weird building limitations / workarounds and low ceilings. Great work on everything!

Let me know what you decide on screen material. I'm think XD for my 140" wide scope screen with 11' view distance.

I'll also be curious about how you feel your sound isolation efforts paid off.
post #40 of 323 Old 07-07-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Nice job! Your theater is shaping up to be spectacular! Thanks for sharing so many details, especially commentary on XD vs UF. Screen pics seem unhelpful to me nine times out of ten, but your XD/UF side-by-side comparison photo might be the exception. It's of special interest to me because I'm considering the possibility of retiring my white-over-black spandex screen as I prepare to move from a multi-use room to a dedicated space. You'd do yourself a big favor by taking Brian up on his offer to check out his Silver Ticket screen (AT?). Screen choices are tough...see as many as you can! (PS tell Brian his Denon 2200 is still chugging along just fine!...(bought it from him)).

Most of my blood also runs Green (except for the part that runs Carolina Blue)! I spent most of my adult life in EL and Okemos...was there when Magic transformed MSU hoops...what a great long ride - and still continuing - this year may be one of the greatest! I left for warmer climes just as Dantonio was about to work his magic on football ...hope he can regroup!

Keep us posted! And... Go Green!
luv2fly3 likes this.
post #41 of 323 Old 07-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Q View Post
You'd do yourself a big favor by taking Brian up on his offer to check out his Silver Ticket screen
On re-reading, I thought that might be misinterpreted as a vote for ST. No, I haven't seen ST, but would like to. Just suggesting to latch onto every opportunity to check out screens, which I'm beginning to believe is the toughest equipment decision.
luv2fly3 likes this.
post #42 of 323 Old 07-07-2017, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmo View Post
I'm enjoying watching your theater build! I lived in DeWitt for years and have many Sparty's in the family. I'm jealous of your basement build. I did an extensive home theater build as part of a basement while I lived up north, and I now live in Florida. I am starting on a new theater room, but living in the land of high water tables and no basements, my room space is much, much smaller. On the plus side, I have 9'6" ceilings. All in all, I'd gladly take the great space of a basement, even with their sometimes weird building limitations / workarounds and low ceilings. Great work on everything!

Let me know what you decide on screen material. I'm think XD for my 140" wide scope screen with 11' view distance.

I'll also be curious about how you feel your sound isolation efforts paid off.
Thanks! I'd love to have ceilings at that height too. Guess everything is a compromise! Basements are nice, but no doubt, having everything above water danger is a blessing too. I'll keep posting as I go, so once I get my doors in place, I'll run some sound isolation tests and post them. Definitely hope the investment of time and cost pays off. Go green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Q View Post
Nice job! Your theater is shaping up to be spectacular! Thanks for sharing so many details, especially commentary on XD vs UF. Screen pics seem unhelpful to me nine times out of ten, but your XD/UF side-by-side comparison photo might be the exception. It's of special interest to me because I'm considering the possibility of retiring my white-over-black spandex screen as I prepare to move from a multi-use room to a dedicated space. You'd do yourself a big favor by taking Brian up on his offer to check out his Silver Ticket screen (AT?). Screen choices are tough...see as many as you can! (PS tell Brian his Denon 2200 is still chugging along just fine!...(bought it from him)).

Most of my blood also runs Green (except for the part that runs Carolina Blue)! I spent most of my adult life in EL and Okemos...was there when Magic transformed MSU hoops...what a great long ride - and still continuing - this year may be one of the greatest! I left for warmer climes just as Dantonio was about to work his magic on football ...hope he can regroup!

Keep us posted! And... Go Green!
Go White! :-) Yes, I sure hope this football season is better than last! But we're used to being the underdog as Spartans, so we'll root for the Green and White no matter what. Blood definitely runs green in this family.

Yes, I'm definitely hoping to take a peek at the ST screen Brian has before making any decisions. I'm far enough off from that being needed, so I have time.

Thanks for the nice words!

Spartans' Theater Build

Last edited by luv2fly3; 07-08-2017 at 04:34 AM.
post #43 of 323 Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I'd post a few photos of my column build. I'm using 3/4" MDF and building them much like I've seen by others here on the forum. They are 19" wide and about 8 1/2" deep. I'm using wood glue and 2", 15 gauge nails to secure the sides to the front. I'm using a combination of a jigsaw and circular saw to cut out the openings, which will be covered in material and framed with trim.

And here are the two I've completed thus far.

Here is one shot inside the soffit, just in case anyone was curious what I put in there. I've tried to secure all of the wires and conduit well, and also stuffed the soffit with insulation before I sealed it up.

Finally, just a shot of the rack now with all of the cabling. Can't wait to get it all terminated and the rack put together! Going to wait till the dusty stuff is done though.

Spartans' Theater Build

Last edited by luv2fly3; 12-30-2018 at 06:52 AM.
post #44 of 323 Old 07-08-2017, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1705 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Looking great!

Are you going to cut holes for vents in your soffits and riser?

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #45 of 323 Old 07-08-2017, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Looking great!

Are you going to cut holes for vents in your soffits and riser?
Riser yes, for sure. I definitely want that to serve as a trap. Not sure about the soffits. Hadn't really planned on that and am not sure how effective that would be given their size. Plus I kinda like the closed look. Do you know if that's worth it, especially if the riser has vents cut for a trap?

Spartans' Theater Build
post #46 of 323 Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would definitely consider it. From what I have read its a good idea to at least near the back of the room. The soffits may not be deep but they add up to quite a bit of space for a bass trap. You already stuffed them with insulation. You can check mine out when you come over.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

FOR SALE:
post #47 of 323 Old 07-08-2017, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Just another quick update from this weekend, which is proving to be quite productive. All 6 columns are now built. While they still need trim and finishing, I'm very pleased with how they turned out.

I also am proud to say I finally got the entrance door built and hung. I've not hung maybe 3 doors in my life, so to build the jamb, mortise the hinges and hang the door (all without help I might add) makes me pretty proud of the door. It's a solid core beast, and was quite the job! I bought the thickest one I could get, and plan to add acoustic treatment to the inside of it. I still have to finalize the hanging, add the door stop and bore out the handle hole. But it's up and is one more thing off the list!

J_P_A likes this.

Spartans' Theater Build

Last edited by luv2fly3; 11-15-2017 at 06:21 PM.
post #48 of 323 Old 07-09-2017, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Final thing for this weekend... I installed the 4" lights in the soffit and also put the first coat of MH Ready Patch in the soffit screws and seams. Anxious to paint! I'll go pick up the crown molding, chair rail and trim for columns this week so I can get those on before painting.

brian6751 likes this.

Spartans' Theater Build
post #49 of 323 Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Another productive weekend. Put up 90% of the crown and baseboard. I still have to fill the nail holes and some of the corners, but it is coming along. I have determined I'm not a trim carpenter. :-) I'll be painting all of that black, along with the columns, soffit and ceiling.

I also finished the hanging and trimming the entrance door. It still has to be painted, and I'm going to do a little decorative trim on it. But it's hung and functions great!

Hope to keep the pace up and get this thing usable!

LydMekk, J Macker and J_P_A like this.

Spartans' Theater Build

Last edited by luv2fly3; 08-11-2017 at 08:05 AM.
post #50 of 323 Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Looking great man. It's really starting to look like a theater

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
luv2fly3 likes this.
post #51 of 323 Old 07-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Someone mentioned DeWitt; I grew up in St. Johns and [drank a lot] hung out often in East Lansing.

That style of trim around your door - I like it. With the square end pieces, is it any "friendlier" to the non-trim carpenter to install? It does look great. This is going to be a fantastic theater! I'm enjoying the process. You are moving right along!
post #52 of 323 Old 07-18-2017, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
Someone mentioned DeWitt; I grew up in St. Johns and [drank a lot] hung out often in East Lansing.

That style of trim around your door - I like it. With the square end pieces, is it any "friendlier" to the non-trim carpenter to install? It does look great. This is going to be a fantastic theater! I'm enjoying the process. You are moving right along!
Yes, that is an easier install for sure. In fact, I purchased that whole set of trim as a complete kit at Lowes. Definitely a more decorative option. I wanted that look because I want our theater door to be different from the rest of our doors. The easier install was a bonus.

Thanks for the kind words. Definitely excited to see it coming together.

Spartans' Theater Build
post #53 of 323 Old 07-22-2017, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Trim work continues! Amazing how you get better at miter cuts as you go.

Spartans' Theater Build
post #54 of 323 Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

almost there!!

You probably already know this but a good product to use on the trim for the gaps and edges of the trim is paintable silicone. I hit every edge where the trim and wall touch along with every joint. Spray it with a slight mist of denatured alcohol from a bottle or just put it on your finger before you wipe off the excess. Gives it a nice clean result.

FOR SALE:
post #55 of 323 Old 07-22-2017, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
almost there!!

You probably already know this but a good product to use on the trim for the gaps and edges of the trim is paintable silicone. I hit every edge where the trim and wall touch along with every joint. Spray it with a slight mist of denatured alcohol from a bottle or just put it on your finger before you wipe off the excess. Gives it a nice clean result.
That's a great idea. Yes, I definitely have some caulking to do before I prepare to paint. I've also had my carpet measurement done, so hoping to order that soon!

Still would love to swing by your place on the way to the GTG next Sat. PM me if you're open to that ahead of heading over. Definitely would love to see your screen and theater space.

Spartans' Theater Build
post #56 of 323 Old 07-22-2017, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh yeah definitely. I already planned on it. I will PM you to make arrangements.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

FOR SALE:
post #57 of 323 Old 07-23-2017, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Another good weekend! I put the DriCore panels down over the concrete and used TapCon screws to ensure the floor is secured and won't rattle! About 95% of the trim around the room is also now complete. The final pieces will be installed once I get the fabric panels on the ceiling in the front of the theater, and the screen wall built. Both of those parts of the project will happen once the carpet is in, which I ordered today!!

Given the Spartan theme, we chose a green/gray, patterned carpet from Lowes.

Should be a pretty sharp look when down.

So, painting is close at hand! I'm planning to paint the soffit, ceiling, columns (including trim), chair rail, wall below the chair rail, and baseboard all black. The upper wall between the chair rail and crown molding will be painted a dark green. Here's a screen capture of the paint which isn't real accurate, but you get the idea. With the carpet color, paint colors, and black chairs, it should all come together nicely.

So here is what the room looks like as of today!

First, looking at the stage..

And the rear of the room...

Hopefully this week I'll be able to finish the prep work on the trim and columns, and then get to painting ahead of the carpet, which should go down in about 3-4 weeks. Can't wait!!

Spartans' Theater Build

Last edited by luv2fly3; 12-30-2018 at 06:55 AM.
post #58 of 323 Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Super nice build! Looking forward to seeing the end product!
luv2fly3 and J_P_A like this.

November 2015 HT of the Month: The Vortex Theater
My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #59 of 323 Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Planned on putting velvet panels up on the ceiling in front of the screen, but this Sherwin Williams Pro Mar 400 Black Flat Paint is pretty good stuff. Have to see what the second coat looks like. But the first coat is now on the ceiling and behind where the screen wall will be!

brian6751 and J_P_A like this.

Spartans' Theater Build

Last edited by luv2fly3; 07-26-2017 at 06:33 PM.
post #60 of 323 Old 07-30-2017, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Got the whole theater primed and the green paint on the upper walls. The black will go on the tomorrow and Tuesday. I also ordered a 125" Silver Ticket 2.35:1 screen, which I'll install after the carpet goes in. Thanks Jk7. 2 for the demo of that exact screen! I also had to change our carpet choice due to a stock issue on the original one. More on that later. Finally, I got the second door all installed.

I've decided I will be purchasing new LCR speakers very soon. I'm likely going to go with the HTM-12's thanks to the demo at brian6751's home (Thanks Brian) or the Fusion 15s which I actually haven't heard. Been in contact with Erich from DIYSound and he recommended either of those for my space. With the added mid-bass of the Fusion 15s, I think that makes a bit more sense for my room, especially since I have the depth to work with behind the screen. We'll see.

Getting closer!

Jive Turkey, brian6751 and J_P_A like this.

Spartans' Theater Build

Last edited by luv2fly3; 07-31-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page