"The Spartan's Will" Theater Build - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 267Likes

post #61 of 320 Old 07-30-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Looking good! Moving fast too, keep it up.
luv2fly3 likes this.

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 320 Old 07-31-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
I've decided I will be purchasing new LCR speakers very soon. I'm likely going to go with the HTM-12's thanks to the demo at brian6751's home (Thanks Brian) or the Fusion 15s which I actually haven't heard. Been in contact with Erich from DIYSound and he recommended either of those for my space. With the added mid-bass of the Fusion 15s, I think that makes a bit more sense for my room, especially since I have the depth to work with behind the screen. We'll see.
.....[/IMG]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Love my Fusions, but haven't heard the HTMs. All things being equal, if you've got the space I'd say go with MORE . All joking aside, you can dial back the mid-base if you decide to, but it's tougher to go the other way.

The DIYSG offerings are really hard choose between because they all perform so well, and you can't use price as an indicator of how well they work. I don't think you'll go wrong regardless of the direction you decide to go.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #63 of 320 Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1705 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
Heck, if you are considering the F15 you might as well go for the standard Titan. There is only a $20 difference

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
J_P_A likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 320 Old 07-31-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Heck, if you are considering the F15 you might as well go for the standard Titan. There is only a $20 difference

The man is not wrong

post #65 of 320 Old 07-31-2017, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I've thought about it, but wondered what the main difference is between the standard Titans and the XL models? Erich actually recommended the HTMs or Fusion 15s due to the seating distance of 10ft. But I know that's pretty close to JKs distance and while they are definitely overkill in many ways, the Titans sounded awesome. Hmm...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater

Last edited by luv2fly3; 08-01-2017 at 03:31 AM.
post #66 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Love my Fusions, but haven't heard the HTMs. All things being equal, if you've got the space I'd say go with MORE . All joking aside, you can dial back the mid-base if you decide to, but it's tougher to go the other way.

The DIYSG offerings are really hard choose between because they all perform so well, and you can't use price as an indicator of how well they work. I don't think you'll go wrong regardless of the direction you decide to go.
How do you feel the Fusions sound with just music? I know that about 60-70% of my time in my theater will be listening to music (jazz, classical, pop, country, etc...) so I want speakers that can do music great as well as kick out movie's with clarity and depth. Do you listen to music through your Fusions and how do they do across the spectrum?
J_P_A likes this.

Spartans' Theater Build
post #67 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Speakers??

Ok, so I've thought further about things and just can't seem to land on Titans in my mind. If I didn't get the LX versions, I'd always feel like I had the "less than" version. But the LX versions are just so pricey, and I'm not sure the best fit for my space honestly.

The issue I've heard often related to the HTM-12 or Fusion 15 models are that the mid-bass frequencies can either be different between to two, or lacking. My plan is to have a solid set of LCRs but then to have the two Cyclops 18's, which are tuned at 17Hz. So basically I'd "miss" between 80Hz and 17Hz if I went with the HTM-12s for example. It hit me...just get two Mid-Bass Modules to fill in that gap! Looking at those, they are tuned to around 40Hz. So I'm thinking I'll go with HTM-12s for the LCR, then two Mid-Bass Modules, and then two Cyclops 18s. With that setup, I'd have a lot of control of each by using multiple amps, and even crossover adjustment capability if using the DSP on iNukes. Seems like a solid option from what I can tell and overall about the same cost as the Titans or less.

Thoughts??
J_P_A likes this.

Spartans' Theater Build
post #68 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do you feel the Fusions sound with just music? I know that about 60-70% of my time in my theater will be listening to music (jazz, classical, pop, country, etc...) so I want speakers that can do music great as well as kick out movie's with clarity and depth. Do you listen to music through your Fusions and how do they do across the spectrum?
I am not a good one to ask this question. The best I can do for you is I like the way the speakers perform in my room. Whether it be music, movies, or games, it's all about the same to me. I would be a much skinnier man if I made a living doing reviews for audio gear I do wish you were closer and you could swing by and have a listen. I bet there is someone in your area with a set, though.

Quote:
Ok, so I've thought further about things and just can't seem to land on Titans in my mind. If I didn't get the LX versions, I'd always feel like I had the "less than" version. But the LX versions are just so pricey, and I'm not sure the best fit for my space honestly.

The issue I've heard often related to the HTM-12 or Fusion 15 models are that the mid-bass frequencies can either be different between to two, or lacking. My plan is to have a solid set of LCRs but then to have the two Cyclops 18's, which are tuned at 17Hz. So basically I'd "miss" between 80Hz and 17Hz if I went with the HTM-12s for example. It hit me...just get two Mid-Bass Modules to fill in that gap! Looking at those, they are tuned to around 40Hz. So I'm thinking I'll go with HTM-12s for the LCR, then two Mid-Bass Modules, and then two Cyclops 18s. With that setup, I'd have a lot of control of each by using multiple amps, and even crossover adjustment capability if using the DSP on iNukes. Seems like a solid option from what I can tell and overall about the same cost as the Titans or less.

Thoughts??
This sounds like a solid plan, though a couple things to clarify.

I'm not familiar with that sub, but generally speaking a 17 Hz tune doesn't mean it has no output above 17 Hz. I've always taken that to mean it HAS output down to 17 Hz before the response drops off. Even without knowing anything about it I'd bet that sub will do well up to 60 Hz, maybe 80 Hz, or even higher depending on the design.

If I remember correctly, the general idea behind an MBM is to fill in the gap between say 60 Hz and a couple hundred Hz. This can either be because the mains aren't up to it that low or because you just want MOAR!

In any case, there are a lot of benefits to an MBM other than more bass. The main one that comes to mind is dealing with room modes. That 60 Hz up to room transition frequency is tough to deal with using treatments alone. Though i suppose you run into localization problems above 80 Hz or so.

post #69 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
I'm not familiar with that sub, but generally speaking a 17 Hz tune doesn't mean it has no output above 17 Hz. I've always taken that to mean it HAS output down to 17 Hz before the response drops off. Even without knowing anything about it I'd bet that sub will do well up to 60 Hz, maybe 80 Hz, or even higher depending on the design.
I'm pretty sure this is correct. You'd want to double check a frequency response for someone that has built your sub to confirm, but yeah MB fills the upper bass ranges beyond 80 generally. If your mains go down to 80 easily, then your sub should integrate fine with them. And if your mains can reach down further, then that can allow running them full range, and turning off the sub for bass.
J_P_A likes this.
post #70 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

Thoughts??
Hey, been trolling your thread and saw the above in bold, your info is inaccurate, there is no gap. Here's the graph for the Cyclops, it's a monster way over 100hz.
Great build btw
sigma722 and luv2fly3 like this.
post #71 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In any case, there are a lot of benefits to an MBM other than more bass. The main one that comes to mind is dealing with room modes. That 60 Hz up to room transition frequency is tough to deal with using treatments alone. Though i suppose you run into localization problems above 80 Hz or so.
That's definitely another thought I had. If I placed the MB subs at the rear of the room, behind the second row of seating, I would think that would help with some of the issues of simply having all of the subs behind the screen wall.

As far as the tuning info on a speaker, I guess I thought that was the "sweet spot", so it would definitely have response above and below that number, but it's primary output would be found around that number. But I see now that's not the case given the Cyclops 18 is tuned for 17Hz. But given the curve on the Cyclops 18, then maybe the true value is really in just having separate subs as MB units to be able to help control the acoustical properties of the room.

Which brings another question, I'm planning to cut vents into my riser along the back and sides. Do I need to remove the insulation where the vents are or can I just keep the insulation as is and place the register over the top of it once the carpet is in?

Spartans' Theater Build

Last edited by luv2fly3; 08-01-2017 at 08:12 AM.
post #72 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which brings another question, I'm planning to cut vents into my riser along the back and sides. Do I need to remove the insulation where the vents are or can I just keep the insulation as is and place the register over the top of it once the carpet is in?
I don't think it matters as long as the insulation is not packed tightly in the cavity. My OCD would probably make me leave it open for 6" or so behind the vent, though. I don't think I've read that it's necessary, and the low frequency pressure wave is not going to see the insulation as a solid surface anyway.

Did you design the openings for a specific tuning frequency or are you just planning to cut a bunch of holes and try for a broad bandwidth?

post #73 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 686
I've had the pleasure of experiencing @eng-399 's Titans in a similar sized room as yours, powered only by his receiver, and I believe at full range. It was auditory bliss; easily comparable to $20k 2 channel setups I've heard at Chicago Axpona. For music, you only needed a sub for the really low stuff, such as synth or upright bass. I have yet to enjoy them on his new big amplifier. So with that, I'd highly recommend the Titans.
eng-399 likes this.
post #74 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you design the openings for a specific tuning frequency or are you just planning to cut a bunch of holes and try for a broad bandwidth?
Great question! No, I don't really know how to calculate anything out, nor do I know what frequencies I'd need to use the trap for specifically. So I had planned on just cutting lengths of venting and hope for the best! :-) If you have some specific ideas, I'd love to know how to do it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
I've had the pleasure of experiencing @eng-399 's Titans in a similar sized room as yours, powered only by his receiver, and I believe at full range. It was auditory bliss; easily comparable to $20k 2 channel setups I've heard at Chicago Axpona. For music, you only needed a sub for the really low stuff, such as synth or upright bass. I have yet to enjoy them on his new big amplifier. So with that, I'd highly recommend the Titans.
I had the privilege of hearing them this past weekend too, in a space smaller than mine. They are an awesome speaker for sure, but also high end cost wise. It's a decision I keep going around in circles with as I'd want the LX models if I do the Titans. Too many decisions, but I know whatever way I go, I'm going to love them compared to my current B&W CDM-9NT mains. They're great speakers, but they are certainly not the sound quality of the Titans, or the HTMs I've heard.

Spartans' Theater Build
post #75 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think starting with the HTM-12's and the pair of Cyclops would be a good strategy. Fixing my phase issue on my subs had a dramatic change in the sound. You are welcome to come back by to have another listen.

FOR SALE:
post #76 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think starting with the HTM-12's and the pair of Cyclops would be a good strategy. Fixing my phase issue on my subs had a dramatic change in the sound. You are welcome to come back by to have another listen.

I think I agree with you Brian. I was very impressed by the sound of your HTM-12s and Cyclops combo, so if it has improved even beyond that, then I'm sure I'd be very happy with that setup as well. If I needed to add any MB later on, I always could. As much as the Titan's appeal to me, over $1900 for three of the LX's, just is too much for my budget. I still need a projector upgrade too!

Spartans' Theater Build
post #77 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 547 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked: 5004
Quote:
Great question! No, I don't really know how to calculate anything out, nor do I know what frequencies I'd need to use the trap for specifically. So I had planned on just cutting lengths of venting and hope for the best! :-) If you have some specific ideas, I'd love to know how to do it best.

I had the privilege of hearing them this past weekend too, in a space smaller than mine. They are an awesome speaker for sure, but also high end cost wise. It's a decision I keep going around in circles with as I'd want the LX models if I do the Titans. Too many decisions, but I know whatever way I go, I'm going to love them compared to my current B&W CDM-9NT mains. They're great speakers, but they are certainly not the sound quality of the Titans, or the HTMs I've heard.

The Titans are a really nice speaker I love the way they sound in my room and for the money my personal opinion is they can't be touched compared to some other expensive speakers me and @JCJetta heard at Axpona together. There's always something more expensive and sound a little better it just comes down to what's in the budget. Who knows maybe something new will be out soon from diysg ya never know........
post #78 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
The Titans are a really nice speaker I love the way they sound in my room and for the money my personal opinion is they can't be touched compared to some other expensive speakers me and @JCJetta heard at Axpona together. There's always something more expensive and sound a little better it just comes down to what's in the budget. Who knows maybe something new will be out soon from diysg ya never know........
I appreciate your insight! I wish I had the budget for them as I know they're an awesome speaker design and I was blown away after hearing them last weekend at a local GTG. But I was also impressed with the HTM-12s which I also heard this past weekend at brian6751's place. I've decided I'm going to go with the HTMs due to what my budget is right now. I need to get a new projector too, so I think this makes the most sense and I know I'll be happy with them as they're a great sounding speaker too. I know they're not the Titans, but their price point fits. But again, I appreciate the insight from you and the rest that have offered the help! So many great people and choices in equipment makes this forum and hobby awesome!

Spartans' Theater Build
post #79 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I appreciate your insight! I wish I had the budget for them as I know they're an awesome speaker design and I was blown away after hearing them last weekend at a local GTG. But I was also impressed with the HTM-12s which I also heard this past weekend at brian6751's place. I've decided I'm going to go with the HTMs due to what my budget is right now. I need to get a new projector too, so I think this makes the most sense and I know I'll be happy with them as they're a great sounding speaker too. I know they're not the Titans, but their price point fits. But again, I appreciate the insight from you and the rest that have offered the help! So many great people and choices in equipment makes this forum and hobby awesome!
BOOM! Decision made! Don't look back my friend. I'd bet dollars to donuts that without a side-by-side, A-B comparison, you won't know which of the DIYSG speakers you've got behind that screen once you've got that room setup like you want it.

You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with any of the DIYSG speakers.

Now off to fretting over the PJ choices. I got lucky with that one and found a used unit for sale. So I didn't have to deal with all that heartburn. I don't envy you having to decide.

post #80 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
BOOM! Decision made! Don't look back my friend. I'd bet dollars to donuts that without a side-by-side, A-B comparison, you won't know which of the DIYSG speakers you've got behind that screen once you've got that room setup like you want it.

You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with any of the DIYSG speakers.

Now off to fretting over the PJ choices. I got lucky with that one and found a used unit for sale. So I didn't have to deal with all that heartburn. I don't envy you having to decide.
That's really all I want is just to get great sounding speakers behind the screen and enjoy the room! I know any of the DYISG speakers will do that for me, and I can make v2 of the system the newest models down the road if I want. I'm excited about the HTMs and can't wait to get them here, built, and running! Thanks again for the insight and affirmation!

Yeah, the PJ choice is hopefully made, but we'll see. I'm leaning toward the Epson 6040UB, but still not 100% sure. For now I'll be using my Epson 3500, which is a great PJ, just not the caliber of the upper models like their 6040/5040 line. Big miss is no lens shift/zoom/focus memory, which will make my 2.35 screen a bit challenging. It also doesn't have the contrast. But I'll make do for now. One thing at a time! I still have my room to finish...so off to paint....photos to come later this evening!!
J_P_A likes this.

Spartans' Theater Build
post #81 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 1588
Have you looked at the jvc models.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #82 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure exactly what deal your getting on the 6040 but Crutchfield has the 5040 on sale

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_278504...UB.html?tp=164

FOR SALE:
post #83 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Almost done painting!

Spartans' Theater Build

Last edited by luv2fly3; 08-02-2017 at 07:12 AM.
post #84 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
Have you looked at the jvc models.
I know they are a great projector. They're a bit more expensive than the Epson line, which is part of the reason I am looking at the Epson 6040UB specifically. But I'll definitely revisit each one before I purchase anything. I know the JVCs are great projectors with some of the blackest blacks in the industry.

Quote:
Not sure exactly what deal your getting on the 6040 but Crutchfield has the 5040 on sale
That is a great price. Due to my "connection" I mentioned at the GTG, I can get the 6040 for about the same price. They're exactly the same except the 6040 is black, comes with an extra bulb, and has a longer warranty. So that's why I'm specifically looking at the 6040, and is also another reason the JVCs aren't specifically the best option for me. He doesn't deal in JVC, so no special pricing.

Definitely

Spartans' Theater Build
post #85 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
I know they are a great projector. They're a bit more expensive than the Epson line, which is part of the reason I am looking at the Epson 6040UB specifically. But I'll definitely revisit each one before I purchase anything. I know the JVCs are great projectors with some of the blackest blacks in the industry.

That is a great price. Due to my "connection" I mentioned at the GTG, I can get the 6040 for about the same price. They're exactly the same except the 6040 is black, comes with an extra bulb, and has a longer warranty. So that's why I'm specifically looking at the 6040, and is also another reason the JVCs aren't specifically the best option for me. He doesn't deal in JVC, so no special pricing.

Definitely

I'm sure there some dealers on here that can get you a great deal on RS400(close out) about the same or maybe cheaper than 6040.
Jive Turkey likes this.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #86 of 320 Old 08-01-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Man, I love green, and yet it is not a color I would normally consider for a theater, but it is looking super cool.

Enjoying your progress!
luv2fly3 likes this.
post #87 of 320 Old 08-02-2017, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 1588
I'm in the same boat. I wouldn't normally think green for a theater but that Shade looks really really good.

luv2fly3 likes this.
post #88 of 320 Old 08-02-2017, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Man, I love green, and yet it is not a color I would normally consider for a theater, but it is looking super cool.

Enjoying your progress!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I wouldn't normally think green for a theater but that Shade looks really really good.

Thanks guys! Yeah, we debated on the color choice, but given the MSU Spartan theme, felt green would be a good choice. Plus I don't see many theaters with green here on the forum, or the web honestly, so I thought why not try something a bit different. Cool thing about this design is if we decide down the road to change it, only the side walls would need repainting. But we have some MSU stuff we're going to be putting up on the walls so the green is staying for a while. I've even thought of trying to find a fabric/printing company that could make us some large fabric prints of some MSU images that would double as acoustic panels. We'll see. But thanks again for the nice words!

Spartans' Theater Build
post #89 of 320 Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
I think you have made a brilliant choice with the HTM-12s and you will be quite happy with them.

The colors look great! I still cannot get over how quickly you are making progress.
luv2fly3 likes this.
post #90 of 320 Old 08-02-2017, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
I think you have made a brilliant choice with the HTM-12s and you will be quite happy with them.

The colors look great! I still cannot get over how quickly you are making progress.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting the HTMs and putting them in place. As far as the speed of my build...I actually started this January 2016, so don't let the speed of the past few weeks fool you. Just anxious to get it setup and usable and have been pushing these past few weeks and months!

Spartans' Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page