AVS Forum banner

New HT, Atmos, Almost4K, and a door:0/

19K views 60 replies 9 participants last post by  kgveteran 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, its one year into my new theater build and thought, what the heck maybe a build thread mite be in order.

First thing was to paint the "cheerie" yellowie orange color DARK BROWN, to be exact, my words were, "whats the darkest brown you have, i was at Lowes, which is my second home hahahaha

There is another objective in this build, the HT is open to the kitchen, its an 8' wide opening that i really like. I need to close this opening with anything but a wall with a door. Any monkey could put up a wall, and a partition of sorts would be 100% better to preserve the really nice opening to the rest of the house.

See less See more
#6 ·
#8 · (Edited)
I designed a trac/roller assembly for the bottom of the door, had ChessisWoodworking do the shop work and i assembled it.

The upper trac is a National Hardware 5430, and I used (4) NH 5330 rollers.....

#9 · (Edited)
Pulled back about 6" of carpet to lay the trac, the carpet guy Nick made short work of cutting carpet, and replacing tack strip, stretched the carpet back perfect !

The guy at Lowes was right, Dark BronzeTone was very dark Lol.

Putting a final coat on the ceiling really gave it the "Cave" feel i was looking for

#13 · (Edited)
Didnt even know there were snap on wall plates, kinda shnazzy

Here are four outlet boxes for my sub amps, main surround amps, and a spare dedicated 20a for line level equipment, oh and the Pj....
They are equiped with 30a relays that are 12vdc triggered because im lazy and want everything to fire up at once

#15 · (Edited)
I need about a 30' HDMI cable, from my Marantz 7010 to my Jvc RS400, whats changed in cables since i last bought years ago

My guess is i'll be picking up a 4K streaming device like a Roku by springish

The JVC arrived today:laugh:

#16 · (Edited)
the next project was the amplifiers, My Outlaw Audio M-200's all had scratchy relays, and they needed replacements......this was the culprit. The amp boards needed to be pulled out, it was a good chance to dust off the insides and clean em up a bit.

The real champ was the SolderSucker tool i picked up at a hobby store in town. Desoldering was a breeze using that tool.

#21 ·
the next project was the amplifiers. My sub amps (QSC 1450's) needed a fan mod and some other mods. My Outlaw Audio M1200's all had scratchy relays, and they needed replacements......this was the culprit

Can you elaborate a little more on the issues you were having with your Outlaw monoblock amps? I have (7) of these and have recently been troubleshooting issues. Wondering what symptoms you were having and what led you to the relay replacement. Very anxious to hear...

#17 · (Edited)
The QSC's needed rewiring and a fan mod and a fan speed adjuster (rheostat). Here's a pic of them disassembled and ready for new fans.

after reassembling the amps I discovered there was another noise problem, the power transformers were humming and bolted to the chassis, which just carried the sound further. I unbolted them from the chassis and bought 1" sorbothane half sphere's to sit on and decouple them, Wow! that really quieted them down. someday they will do their job from the basement :0/

#18 ·
Did I mention I am 4 years post divorce and my first project was to replace all the drivers in all my main and surround speaker cabs due to the damage my Ex did to them.......this is painful to look at. The cones are black aluminum Dayton drivers, the yellow is the spider which ur not suppose to see

#45 ·
The sight of that makes me cringe! I'm going through a divorce right now and just hoping she doesn't pull something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 · (Edited)
Heres a drawing of a super chunk corner basstrap. Spent some time over at Gearslutz so I had to LOL, a lot a bright boys over there.

Heres a quick sketch of my first reflection point absorber, tryed to thicken it up to cut down on any ringing in the bass region. My goal is LEDE

#23 · (Edited)
Heres the shell of my first reflection point absorbers. Im sure by now you realize im not building this stuff in a day or two, i've been working on the room over a year

Some more work done like screens and speaker grill material to house the insulation

Heres the finished product, i made four of these......

#24 · (Edited)
Here are some interconnects i made using Rean connectors.

Heres my subwoofer cables all snaked together, i used double runs of 16/2, the wire calculator said two 16ga wires combined equal 13ga, they seem to work fine. Never had Neutrix connectors, pretty slick stuff for sure

#28 · (Edited)
Heres a pic of my first drawing for the barndoor, its gonna be made of MDF, 2x4's and poplar. I've discovered i am much better drawing pics than the actual woodworking. ChessisWoodWork of Rochester will be building this for me. There is a main door that will be suspended from barndoor hardware from above, and will ride on a track and tram below to hold the door steady and help support the emense weight from below.

The door(s) are going to be massive weight wise. Our guess is 550lbs. My hope is that when its in place it doesnt rattle or move with my bass at all, time will tell

#31 ·
#34 · (Edited)
Used these wheels for the tram roller, yes thats a million year old Harmony 1100 remote :0)

Pic from the cabinet guy, the side AUX 19.5" door and the 30" Access door.....

Small door, 19.5" access door getting her guts stuffed and waiting for another slab of MDF

Main 53" door being assembled and ready for insulation and its second slab of MDF

Main 53" door at home and getting fitted with (4) NationalHardware 5330 roller hardware. Fitted with 1/4" shoulder bolts and Tnuts. No fear on the Tnuts, all they do is provide secured connection for the shoulder bolts, and the ability to be broken down, easy assembly...

#35 · (Edited)
The Door, installed with the two folding doors attached. Its all bundled up and tucked away. At least 550lbs, at least :0/

If you look on the wall, see the bracket behind the superchunk, i can slide it out of the way, the superchunk is mobile.

The Door rolled out into position

The Door opened up, i have to paint it, install some handles, install all the seals.....two of the seals will be air type bladders

#36 · (Edited)
Working through some numbers on how high and how far I can get my Pj. The numbers are not being kind Lol. My best shot for now is maintaining the 13.3' throw, getting the Pj up and getting a feel for the same size screen from my old room. I was hoping for 120" wide and that's a big NoGo in this room as it stands. I can move some stuff and futz with numbers later I guess......

Room is too small for diffusers to really work so im stuck with absorbers. Im going to hit all the first reflection points, hoping the room doesnt deaden too much. I don't really mind a damped room as long as its still got system dynamics. I like a LEDE, but not tooooo dead

Still up in the air on a PrePro or Receiver. As it stands now the Denon X4300 is a bang for the buck winner. With finally having 7 Outlaws I can let the receiver power my Heights, all four.......

What receiver are you guy using ????

#37 ·
The door is definitely he most unique I have seen recently. Anxious to hear what u think of it once in use longer.

Receiver wise I am using a demon x3100 I purchased here used off a forum member and I have been very pleased with it. Wanted something with audysey calibration and was not too worried about atmos or 4K yet so it was perfect. I am also using the outlaw amps as hat how I stumbled across your thread. Processors,aside from outlaw really, are awfully expensive for little gain. Using a traditional receiver to power some of the atmos channels is another nice benefit and reason to go that route. I had an old outlaw model 950 processor and loved it but needed hdmi switching. My two cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.