post #1 of 199 Old 02-21-2017, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Ladeback cinema

Well I thought it was a bout time I started a build thread for my theater. This has been a long progress to build my dream home theater that goes back to around 1991 after seeing one in a AV shop in my area at that time. I have have some form of 5.1 set up since 1993 in my living rooms, but not until 2007 did I have good place to build what I want and family, work and money has played their parts in getting to a point where I can actually build it the way I want to.

I finally started building walls last year weeks before super bowl 50 and got two walls and some sheet rock up on one wall before the party happened. Then in about March of 2016 my wife said she would like to have our main level carpet replaced and new living room furniture. Well the HT will have to go on hold. Since then I was able to build two more walls and thought I had what I wanted till I went on our local area theater crawl this last weekend and I want to make some changes I think. My current build is for the room to be 14'x25'-8"x8'-10", but now I am thinking moving one of the side walls out 3' to give me a 17' width. This would give me more room for walkways and possibly going with three rows of 4 in some fashion or another.

Here is a little more information on what the basement will be used for other then the theater. I would like to have when you come down the stairs to come into a bar/game room for adults to the right and this would feed into the entrance of the home theater.

To the left would be a large are for my son and his friends to play with the rest being for storage. I first built the room thinking I would put rolling barn doors to enter the HT, but after looking at the soundproofing thread that would not be a good idea. So now I looking at doing a double door or some kind. My wife really likes this set up, but I was also thinking of using the room next to it that would be for storage and make that a passageway into the HT from the side. Here are some drawings I have been working one. Let me know which one you like and input please.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ESSIX 19 013117  Option 1 Model (1).jpg
Views:	537
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1986121   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESSIX 20 020617  Option 2 Model (1).jpg
Views:	400
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1986129   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESSIX 022117  Option 1A Model.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1986137   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESSIX 20 020717  Option 4 Model.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1986145  

Last edited by Ladeback; 02-22-2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: up load better drawings of home theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 199 Old 02-22-2017, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This is what I have done so far and what it looked like before I added the other two walls. I am thinking of moving the wall to the left 3' to give me more room.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0731161744a.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	1985569   Click image for larger version

Name:	0814161815a.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	1985577   Click image for larger version

Name:	0207162112c.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	1985585  

Last edited by Ladeback; 02-22-2017 at 11:42 AM.
post #3 of 199 Old 02-22-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 550
I always hold the opinion that if you have a storage room, you just fill it up. If you don't have a storage room, you get rid of stuff. Ergo, my dogma is the less storage the better. The only exception is if someone needs space for a home business or if it actually directly relates to a hobby and you're actually using stuff in the storage space on a regular basis.

That makes me want to throw my hat into the ring of the 17' wide options. Having the side speakers backed off the listener a little bit always really helps with the spaciousness of playback.

So long as your soundproofing goals are modest, the two door swinging out won't be a deal breaker, but if you find you want people to hang out in the bar area at the same time as a decent volume going in the theater room, you might consider a single larger door instead. (40" wide prehung exterior at a minimum.)
darthray, KB77Hell and TMcG like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 199 Old 02-22-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 599 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3735 Post(s)
Liked: 3509
I agree with chirpie. If you can have wider with minimal effort - go wide. That three feet will help the surround speakers a bit. How will you work the steel beam and support pole if you go wider? - that parts not clear to me?

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #5 of 199 Old 02-22-2017, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I agree with chirpie. If you can have wider with minimal effort - go wide. That three feet will help the surround speakers a bit. How will you work the steel beam and support pole if you go wider? - that parts not clear to me?
I was thinking of giving the beam and column in like what carp has in his basement. The only thing is doing a softer won't work well, but that's not a big deal. The extra 3' will mostly be for a walk way. I could just make the ceiling in that part the same height has what the beam would be boxed in at.

As for soundproofing I am going to us insulation between the joist with clips and hat channel to decouple it and DD & GG. I was also going to build backer boxes for the Atmos speakers and resesed lights. If I move the wall out 3' more I was going to go with DD & GG on the walls.

At one point I was going to use the whole room as my home theater, but my brother in law Howie in to home theater design said I should build where I currently have it framed.

The was are just stud walls so moving them isn't to much trouble other then a little rework. I am planning on getting started on it again in March.
post #6 of 199 Old 02-22-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Hi Guys! Long time no see...

So just how tall is it to the bottom of the steel beam?

Are you tied to the idea of all those seats? Do you actually "need" all of those seats?

Here's a bunch of ideas tossed into a layout...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ladeback option 5.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1987121  
post #7 of 199 Old 02-22-2017, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Hi Guys! Long time no see...

So just how tall is it to the bottom of the steel beam?

Are you tied to the idea of all those seats? Do you actually "need" all of those seats?

Here's a bunch of ideas tossed into a layout...
Hi Ted,

The bottom of the beam is just shy of 8'.

Am I tied to them or need all those seats? No, but I was wanting to have three rows and enough to have neighbors over for movie night.
It looks like you are showing an AT screen. I really didn't want to go go that route and I am not sure how well the Klipsch tower speakers will sound behind a false wall, but is getting to think of a bigger screen and at 2:35.1.

I probably don't don't need all the storage, but not sure what else to do with it.
post #8 of 199 Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Start drawing out your room from a side view, and to scale.

You can get three rows in that height, but you might want to think about how sight lines impact on
screen size with a NON AT screen, and how that forces the center channel down low. And then how
that impacts on the second and third row audio-wise.

You could bring in some occasional chairs into the theater for a crowd.

The Klipsch will sound just fine behind the "acoustically transparent" wall...

As for all the storage, if you don't need it, why not widen the theater itself? (What style of room are you after?)
post #9 of 199 Old 02-23-2017, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Start drawing out your room from a side view, and to scale.

The drawings here are to scale, I created them with AutoCAD, but I have included a side and back profile.

You can get three rows in that height, but you might want to think about how sight lines impact on
screen size with a NON AT screen, and how that forces the center channel down low. And then how
that impacts on the second and third row audio-wise.

I was going to put the center channel as high as I can put it a 5 degree angle or so to reach the back room. I am getting an Klipsch RC-7 which is a bigger center channel then I have now that should help.

You could bring in some occasional chairs into the theater for a crowd.

The Klipsch will sound just fine behind the "acoustically transparent" wall...

An AT screen would be interesting and have no clue on how to do it with these speakers. Would the empty space have to be filled with insulation and can the fronts be set farther away from the wall and would it hurt to have them sit a little bit of the floor? Not sure I could talk my wife into letting me get new screen. The cost of building the room hasn't been an issue except for when I want to spend money on soundproofing. She thinks that insulation and sheet rock will do a lot. If I did get a AT screen I would want to go 2:35.1 and bigger.

As for all the storage, if you don't need it, why not widen the theater itself? (What style of room are you after?)
I need to go through things in the basement and clean house again like we did when we moved. Mostly we have my old electronics, old AV boxes, Christmas decorations, kids stuff and some odds and ends.

As for style of room, I would like a dedicated home theater, but my wife likes the idea of the room being open to the future bar area, but who knows when that will be done. I have drawn up the layout many ways and do have a layout where I using the whole room, but the beam is the hard part to work around. After seeing Stoked21's set up I guess I could build a bar along the north wall, but I would not be able to have water and sewer without removing concrete and I don't want to get into a mess like that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ESSIX 022117  Option 1A Back Profile Model.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1988921   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESSIX 022117  Option 1A Side Profile Model.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1988929  
post #10 of 199 Old 02-23-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Two other issues you might have given thought to.:

The screen is pretty high for the front row. If you need to elevate your head by more then seven degrees, then ergonomics
suggest you might start to you wonder why your neck is sore. (This is an issue for the front row.)

The old open concept versus dedicated argument. Is everyone in the theater together all the time? Is noise leaking going to be an issue?
And you also loose the ability to drive the room's noise floor down low, so you preserve the dynamic range of the soundtrack. That eliminates
having to adjust the volume up and down during a movie.
post #11 of 199 Old 02-23-2017, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Two other issues you might have given thought to.:

The screen is pretty high for the front row. If you need to elevate your head by more then seven degrees, then ergonomics
suggest you might start to you wonder why your neck is sore. (This is an issue for the front row.)

The old open concept versus dedicated argument. Is everyone in the theater together all the time? Is noise leaking going to be an issue?
And you also loose the ability to drive the room's noise floor down low, so you preserve the dynamic range of the soundtrack. That eliminates
having to adjust the volume up and down during a movie.
You are right about the screen being to high, I thought I had it set like I currently have it at which is about 32" for the bottom of the screen. I have watched movies and football on it for hours and haven't noticed my neck hurting. I guess if I went with a AT screen it could go lower and the center channel a lot higher. Could I put the tower speakers behind the scenes?

I take it when you mean open concept by having the double doors at the back of the room. I am leaning to go with a smaller door or a side entrance. The back doors would mostly be open for sporting events like Super Bowl Party's and closed for movies. Would it look wired and will Dolby Atmos work if I use the whole room with the beam running through the room? That was my original design.

@Ted ,

This photo is what I had set up last year for my Super Bowl party and what I was planning on doing, but then I thought have the the beam boxed in would take away from the screen. Also the Column is about 16' from the screen wall and it would be interesting to work seats around, but could be done. I was looking into moving the beam, because I think it could be moved about 3' or 4' back based on where the other column is. I believe they put this beam in to go under a barring wall upstairs, but our house is and open concept and the wall above is not there. I would probably have to pay a structure engineer to see if it could be moved.

The big question is if I could move and I built the room, would it be to big? If I built it I would want a bigger screen and maybe go with a 165" AT screen say at 2:35.1. That would look pretty cool and could do a lot with the room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0207162112c (1).jpg
Views:	313
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	1990489  

Last edited by Ladeback; 02-24-2017 at 06:45 AM.
post #12 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, you put tower speakers behind an AT screen. (Although I am more a fan of three identical potent bookshelf speakers
and multiple subs, behind an AT wall. One could leverage simple MDF sand filled DIY stands and there's some nice kits out
there that could get a simple flat black finish.) AT screen and walls are also come with a certain WAF, since they visually
erase big speakers.

Didn't one of the home theaters on the crawl have an exposed support post? That crawl should have been a pretty solid primer
for you, if you break down the theaters, into a series of individual ideas.

That support post is likely there to support the floor above, and prevent excessive deflection. You might be able to box the beam by
having steel plate wielded to the existing beam, to stiffen it. Not likely to be cheap, but it would be money well spent to get the best
room. A new support post could be embedded in the back wall, with the concrete floor broke open, and a new support pad poured.

Yes I meant the double doors (or even barn style sliding doors) on the back wall. Giving up the sound isolation impacts greatly on the
noise levels inside and outside the theater.

So why not run the theater north/south? Isn't that a 16' wide room now? An AT space could hide some of the depth. And the beams transecting the
theater could be become detailing.
post #13 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I am a big fan of the extra width... my room is around 17'6", and I was able to fit a curved row of 4 in my front row (|V|00|V|), a set of 5 seats in my second row (either |0|000|0| OR |00|0|00|), and have enough room to walk around on both sides. My 3rd row is a 12+' wide bar, with 5 more seats. We have a 10 year old and 7 year old, and my wife likes having a bunch of their friends over for movie nights, so, we use all the seats probably once a month...

In my room, I have a beam and one support pole on one side of the room. The beam to the wall, has HVAC supply/returns in it, so, I just built that out as a soffit. My support pole, I wrapped in a post column wrap, it is painted black, and based on where it lands vs where my seats are, tends to blend it quite well.

I finished almost my entire basement, not leaving lots of storage... and as other say, you just git rid of some stuff. I did also though, put up shelves on my garage wall, and put some stuff on those...

I wish I could have made it to KC for the theater crawl, sounds like it was a great time.
post #14 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The extra width is almost always nice. It can get the seating off the surround speakers.

You can mix seating too. Put in the front row with recliners, and do stadium style theater seats for the second row.

The KC Crawl was something extra special. Rare is the opportunity for one to get to see so many rooms in less then
48 hours. And for a newbie, what a special opportunity to get to experience firsthand a lot of great options!

Here's another room with a column in it. :

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post27694201

BTW, where's the water lines and the waste lines?
post #15 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Something like this could could not touch the support post but get the room a little wider.

Bar row plus theater second row, and then theater seating front row. That could pack bodies in.

The stadium seating could also be on an island riser, which could then be on top of a full width riser.

The purple lines are fabric walls. These fabric walls could hide surround speakers, acoustical treatments
and conduit on the wall itself.

The steel beams aren't drawn in, as well as steps needed, outside the room to enter at riser level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	north south.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1990721  
KB77Hell and Ladeback like this.
post #16 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, you put tower speakers behind an AT screen. (Although I am more a fan of three identical potent bookshelf speakers
and multiple subs, behind an AT wall. One could leverage simple MDF sand filled DIY stands and there's some nice kits out
there that could get a simple flat black finish.) AT screen and walls are also come with a certain WAF, since they visually
erase big speakers.

Didn't one of the home theaters on the crawl have an exposed support post? That crawl should have been a pretty solid primer
for you, if you break down the theaters, into a series of individual ideas.

Actually 3 of them had columns, Archaea, carp and Stocked21. Carp's is the one that caught my eye the most and made me think about making my HT wider to create a walkway like I have drawn.

That support post is likely there to support the floor above, and prevent excessive deflection. You might be able to box the beam by
having steel plate wielded to the existing beam, to stiffen it. Not likely to be cheap, but it would be money well spent to get the best
room. A new support post could be embedded in the back wall, with the concrete floor broke open, and a new support pad poured.

Thinking about doing this and moving the the post could get real expensive and not something I want to get into I think now.

Yes I meant the double doors (or even barn style sliding doors) on the back wall. Giving up the sound isolation impacts greatly on the
noise levels inside and outside the theater.

I am rethinking this as well and maybe going with a single 3' or 4' door. I have room as well and am thinking maybe of going with a second wall to create an air lock or may make the entrance at the back on the north wall and use that space an entry hallway and put movie artwork on the walls. I could possibly do this for the south wall as well where the AV equipment will be.

So why not run the theater north/south? Isn't that a 16' wide room now? An AT space could hide some of the depth. And the beams transecting the
theater could be become detailing.
I also considered this layout and liked it a lot, but my brother in law talked my out of say that the framing around the beam would make people look up at it or something like that and if I went with to high of a riser there may not be enough headroom. This would be good for a AT setup because I would put the screen on the south wall and I have a lot of space behind it build the false wall. I may have to revisit this idea. This also would give my more space in the Bar/Game Room area. If I did it the room could be 16.5'x21' and extra room to build the area for the speakers behind a AT screen. Based on the dimensions and the chairs I am thinking of getting I could go with a back row of 6 and a front row of 4, but the back chairs would be up against wall and close to the back surround speakers.

Looks like I need to set down there this weekend and figure out which way I want to go. After seeing the 2:35.1 scoped screens with the e-shift 4K projectors I am wanting that or I may just plan for it for down the road and get a 1080p projector like the Espon 2040 for now. I want something better then the Optoma HD65 I have right now. How long do you think a real 4K projector will be in the $3K area? It may with it to get the Sony 45ES and be good for now. Chirpie's 40ES picture was incredible for just 1080p I thought on the crawl.
post #17 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I am a big fan of the extra width... my room is around 17'6", and I was able to fit a curved row of 4 in my front row (|V|00|V|), a set of 5 seats in my second row (either |0|000|0| OR |00|0|00|), and have enough room to walk around on both sides. My 3rd row is a 12+' wide bar, with 5 more seats. We have a 10 year old and 7 year old, and my wife likes having a bunch of their friends over for movie nights, so, we use all the seats probably once a month...

In my room, I have a beam and one support pole on one side of the room. The beam to the wall, has HVAC supply/returns in it, so, I just built that out as a soffit. My support pole, I wrapped in a post column wrap, it is painted black, and based on where it lands vs where my seats are, tends to blend it quite well.

I finished almost my entire basement, not leaving lots of storage... and as other say, you just git rid of some stuff. I did also though, put up shelves on my garage wall, and put some stuff on those...

I wish I could have made it to KC for the theater crawl, sounds like it was a great time.
@kmhvball , I really like your theater and this is what I was wanting to go with. I may be taking a lot from your build in the future.
post #18 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In principle I agree with your brother in law....

But in practice, negatives often become design flair. And what separates your room, from other rooms, and can make it unique.

I would take the room volume, and float a cloud ceiling. Now you can hide lights inside the drywall shell, and one acoustically treat first
reflections off the ceiling, if using fabric. And if you don't take that cloud out to the boundaries, then you have a channel to add LED lighting.

Peter M's room does some bass trapping via a cloud.

DE used a beam up front to hide some screen lighting, with this design.:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ml#post1940024
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	theo ceiling.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1990761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Johnny5 proposed ceiling.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	1990769  
KB77Hell likes this.
post #19 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In principle I agree with your brother in law....

But in practice, negatives often become design flair. And what separates your room, from other rooms, and can make it unique.

I would take the room volume, and float a cloud ceiling. Now you can hide lights inside the drywall shell, and one acoustically treat first
reflections off the ceiling, if using fabric. And if you don't take that cloud out to the boundaries, then you have a channel to add LED lighting.

Peter M's room does some bass trapping via a cloud.

DE used a beam up front to hide some screen lighting, with this design.:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ml#post1940024
So in other words box out the beam like normal and use lights and fabric on both ceilings to make it look taller or father away and give it depth?

I took one of my old designs and what you draw up and came up with this. I drew the beam in as well. Based on where the second row would go the beam would basically be above your head when seated. The riser by rough estimate would be about 10" high and the steps in black would be 5" high and would give another 5" of clearance to walk under giving me roughly 8' or so. The only issue is there is a spot on the foundation wall along the east wall that sticks out about 8" or 9". If I put the screen wall here it be around 10' or less to the back of the first row. If I went with a 135" AT 2:35.1 screen I should be ok. I probably could remove it, but not for sure. I don't see why it was put in unless a beam was to go there. There is two floor plans for our house. One with an open concept like we have and one where there is a wall with a fireplace that separates the living room and kitchen. This wall would be above the west wall of this HT plan.

I like this layout better and uses the space better. Now I would have to move some walls and it would give me a chance to decouple the walls from the floor above.

Thank you for your help on this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ESSIX 2a 092515 Model.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1990825  
post #20 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Basically what I was thinking... But I think you might run out of head room with all that riser as laid out.
Ten inches of riser is two 5" tall steps. Why not use a more common 7-8" step height and and an island riser to keep
headroom? You could use taller bar stools, and keep a little more head room (and room volume).

I would prefer to lengthen the room, to get the bar row a little more off the back wall.

I still think that support post is there to stiffen the floor, so it doesn't bounce. Now without the fireplace above,
an engineer might allow you to put in a new support post/pad a few feet over.

A room flip of 180 degrees, could have the entrance at slab level, up front, and that 8-9" alcove could be disguised as a
symmetrical detail up front. Or maybe the AT space hides it... I did this myself, with a 59" deep AT space, in a very small
room with five soffits.

Those walls could simply be "materials" and "saved budget" if you disassembled them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	L.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	1990905  
post #21 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just loaded in features I like.....

I would so do a horizontally run wood feature wall with this design.... Some standoff lettering and a rotated 1080P hdtv for those posters.

The entry door could be visually "erased" inside the theater, like the JBK demo room does.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	1990993   Click image for larger version

Name:	note entry door up front (2).jpg
Views:	280
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1991041  
post #22 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Basically what I was thinking... But I think you might run out of head room with all that riser as laid out.
Ten inches of riser is two 5" tall steps. Why not use a more common 7-8" step height and and an island riser to keep
headroom? You could use taller bar stools, and keep a little more head room (and room volume).

I would prefer to lengthen the room, to get the bar row a little more off the back wall.

I still think that support post is there to stiffen the floor, so it doesn't bounce. Now without the fireplace above,
an engineer might allow you to put in a new support post/pad a few feet over.

A room flip of 180 degrees, could have the entrance at slab level, up front, and that 8-9" alcove could be disguised as a
symmetrical detail up front. Or maybe the AT space hides it... I did this myself, with a 59" deep AT space, in a very small
room with five soffits.

Those walls could simply be "materials" and "saved budget" if you disassembled them.
I just remembered that when we built the current east wall I believe the face of that wall is flush with the little concrete jet out. To put it up against the wall I was going to have to put blocking in and the gas line to out oven runs up along the floor joist that sits on the concrete wall and we didn't want to take a chance of hitting it while building the wall. There are also water and drain lines in this area. So could just the wall over a little and make faux columns around the lolly columns to hide them.

My side surrounds are Klipsch RS-3's and I could try to hide those in the faux columns.

I forgot to say that the area to the south where the speakers would go is where the HVAC trunk line for the three supply ducks to run to the north in the joist. If I flip the plan that areas height would be around 8" maybe less, so the current setup is better. Now the area for the speakers could be pushed back a little more, but this is where our current office is, but we aren't in there much. The electrical and alarm panel are on the east well close to the sump pump. I could probably move the alarm panel and get maybe 2' or more. I would have to measure it to see.

With an 8" riser, the front row would have to be at 11' from the screen and the second row at 16'-17' for it to work. I like the idea of moving it all forward 1'-1.5' to give more room to the bar area. Then the riser shouldn't need to come all the way back to the north wall unles you think it would make since for a bass trap or something, but those could be put in the back corners? I like the idea of taller bar chairs.

I was going to clean up the basement this weekend and could get some better pictures to work with so you can see what I am dealing with.
post #23 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just loaded in features I like.....

I would so do a horizontally run wood feature wall with this design.... Some standoff lettering and a rotated 1080P hdtv for those posters.

The entry door could be visually "erased" inside the theater, like the JBK demo room does.
This would be cool, but I just remembered there is a second beam running through the theater as well. I think that's why I went with running it east and west. Guess I need to do some more measuring and better renderings on Sketchup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ESSIX 2a 022417 Model (1).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1991201  
post #24 of 199 Old 02-24-2017, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know there's a second beam, and I would just embrace it as part of the ceiling design.
At the very least, it could hide a string of screen lights.
post #25 of 199 Old 02-25-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exactly how many seats do you want?

Exactly how many seats do you need?

What kind of style are you after?

No shortage of ideas.... I need to be reined in....
(Looking forward to seeing all the room obstacles.)

I also wonder about just having two rows, and going slightly wider, along these lines.
Spend the money on boxing the beam and widening the room. Basically spending the budget
in a different way then presented so far.

The front of the theater could be blacked out with fabric wing walls. And it could be narrower then the room.
Fabric could be peeled back to get at an access panel for the plumbing and gas line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ladeback X1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	1992089  
Ladeback likes this.
post #26 of 199 Old 02-25-2017, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I also wonder about just having two rows, and going slightly wider, along these lines.
Spend the money on boxing the beam and widening the room. Basically spending the budget

The front of the theater could be blacked out with fabric wing walls. And it could be narrower then the room.
Fabric could be peeled back to get at an access panel for the plumbing and gas line.

I haven't gotten pictures yet, but do have some info. This layout could possibly work, some concerns. In the south end the duct work it is right at 8' to bottom of the supply. When framed dry walled and with a 8" riser the will be about 7' of clearance. Also the breaker box and alarm box are in the east wall in the SE corner, but the fabric panels could hide them or a hidden door.

My original idea was to just get walls up, paint, put the speakers in place and enjoy. My budget has been nothing lattly so that's why it hasn't gone far in the last year. Paying my truck off in a few months so hope to get going on this soon.

What I would like is three rows and have seen it built in my local AV store and I would like 8 to 10 seats for movie nights, but most of the time it will be me or just me an my wife. I would also like to use as much of the basement as I can. Last night we watched Arrival on our 60" in the living room and wished I had gone to the basement to watch it. Today we watched Hacksaw Ridge in the basement and glad we did, but there are to many noises that I can't wait to soundproofing out.

As for style not really sure. Just simple and functional was what I was going for. How much room is needed for the space behind the AT screen. Not sure the wife will like me buying a new screen and I am wanting a better projector and I need another AV receiver and want to go with Dolby Atmos. Lot to think about.
post #27 of 199 Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

@Tedd ,

I have some time to look at things and redesigned my current floor plan. I like the last drawing you sent, but to do that would be doing a lot of work and dealing with sound from HVAC supply trunks and moving two walls. The plans I have here I would only have to move one wall. This would just be a lot more work and I am using the north area this way. The other storage area to the south of the theater, part of it would be an office and make another part a shop are. Those aren't marked on there yet.

With the first one I could just go with two rows of seats and could get 10 seats with a 6 in the back and 4 in the front.

With the second one I could go with 3 rows of 4 and one would be stools.

Would this work with going with the AT screen? I haven't thought a lot about treatments and not sure what I would need.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ESSIX 022117  Option 1A Model.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1994681   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESSIX 022117  Option 1B Model (1).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1994737  
post #28 of 199 Old 02-26-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That should work with an at screen. As for a new screen, My ext room will simply lace some
AT material to an over-sized screen opening in the AT wall. Some grommets and rubber O rings will
lace the screen to some eye bolts. The lacing area will get covered up, by some velvet covered wood
panels, and secure from behind via screws through the AT wall framing. Pretty simple and inexpensive to
accomplish.

Another option I was going to suggest was to embrace both posts, and widen the space. Use roller office chairs on a
low riser, as the second row. Front row seating at five wide and maybe six roller chairs at the bar row. The bar could
run post to post, and disguise the lower section of posts.

Yes, it moves the south wall, but couldn't the wall simply be cut into sections and moved over? I assume the HVAC runs south of
the existing wall, but the wall could be cut down, and into manageable sections, to be moved back. The HVAC then gets framed into
a soffit. The riser in the back is low at 7-8" so there'll still be 7' plus of head room under the soffits, at riser level.

Could you cut an av rack in half, and hang the halves side by side, and frame them in? Then a lower panel could be a hidden door,
and swing into the storage space.

I'm guessing that is a sump pump in the bottom left corner. I would be thinking office there, and run a desk
wall to wall. The disguise the sump pump with a fake cabinet.

Much of what I am proposing is about building a nice room, on a budget.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Option 1B WIDE.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1994961  
post #29 of 199 Old 02-27-2017, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That should work with an at screen. As for a new screen, My ext room will simply lace some
AT material to an over-sized screen opening in the AT wall. Some grommets and rubber O rings will
lace the screen to some eye bolts. The lacing area will get covered up, by some velvet covered wood
panels, and secure from behind via screws through the AT wall framing. Pretty simple and inexpensive to
accomplish.

Another option I was going to suggest was to embrace both posts, and widen the space. Use roller office chairs on a
low riser, as the second row. Front row seating at five wide and maybe six roller chairs at the bar row. The bar could
run post to post, and disguise the lower section of posts.

Yes, it moves the south wall, but couldn't the wall simply be cut into sections and moved over? I assume the HVAC runs south of
the existing wall, but the wall could be cut down, and into manageable sections, to be moved back. The HVAC then gets framed into
a soffit. The riser in the back is low at 7-8" so there'll still be 7' plus of head room under the soffits, at riser level.

Could you cut an av rack in half, and hang the halves side by side, and frame them in? Then a lower panel could be a hidden door,
and swing into the storage space.

I'm guessing that is a sump pump in the bottom left corner. I would be thinking office there, and run a desk
wall to wall. The disguise the sump pump with a fake cabinet.

Much of what I am proposing is about building a nice room, on a budget.

I took what you drew up and came up with this. I would like to stay with all theater chairs if I can. I think this layout will work. I just need to figure out how big of a screen I can do. I was thinking of going with a 180" 2:40.1 AT. That would be almost seat to seat.I guess by doing the false wall I could always upgrade to bigger or better speakers in the future or at least more subs. To save money for now I could just get one row of the chairs and use the current 3 chairs I have in the room and a couple office chairs to get to 10 chairs.

I see what you are meaning by the boxing in the beams and duct work it would have soffit on the side. With doing clips, hat channel and DD with GG the soffet would be about a 12" to 13" drop. Not sure if I would have room on the duct work side to small pod lights or not, but it would be cool if I did, kinds of like what Childsplay has in his HT.

I wasn't wanting to put the equipment rack accessible in the room, but may rethink that. I would at least have it right inside the along the south wall.

Will putting foam insulation around the duct work help with sound or would it better to do DD and GG?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ESSIX 022717 Option 21A Model (1).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1996745  

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #30 of 199 Old 02-27-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There are some very shallow LED lights available. I have some that are 1/2" thick so Kevin's lighting
is a certainly a possibility. (I did take note of his lighting at the Crawl. Very nice indeed! Even grabbed a photo of it )

My soffits are 3x4" plywood with a layer of GG, 5/8" drywall, GG, and a second layer of 5/8". I doubt foam is going
to do anything to stop bass.

I wouldn't frame the underside of the soffit, I'd use 3/4" plywood instead of 2x4" framing.

My equipment rack is now rebuilt outside of my theater, and it's going to be be suspended in a dedicated
closet so I have a way to access the back of the av rack. It's a "down and under" approach, in rather small space.
But the active rack can have a back and be enclosed in that small space. Seems to me you could buy a used av rack
split it, and have a side by side rack on the end wall. Then you could have a hidden panel under the rack, for access to the
storage space. Basically a hidden door. And then you have full access to the rear of the av rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page