Where do you draw the viewing line? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Where do you draw the viewing line?

Hello everyone,

I've been following the forum for years, but this is my first post. I recently finished building a dedicated home theater that has incredible audio/video performance, which has led me to this question. I originally decided to limit the viewing in the theater to reference blu-rays, but then found that I wasn't viewing very many films in there because of that decision. Now I'm willing to watch any action, drama, or sci-fi film in there on blu-ray. I know this question has been posed many times, but the viewing landscape is in the middle of a large shift right now and quality viewing material is available in many different formats. These range from video games to 4k streaming. So I ask all of you, where do you draw the viewing line in your dedicated theater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
My theater never gets anything less than bluray. Period. End of story. Drop the mic.

I have a decent 2.1 system in the living room where we stream tv and watch comedy movies, but all other movies get the theater treatment. For me it keeps the theater special if we only use it once in a while. The latest raunchy comedy movie (our favorite genre) is fine in the living room where we're close to the kitchen for snacks and booze, but once or twice a week we venture into the theater for a big blockbuster, drama, or even an independent film. We no longer visit commercial theaters, haven't in at least a decade, but when we did we only went to the movies that we really wanted to see. So now, those movies get watched in our home theater instead. It becomes an event, like date night kinda.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 02:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5547 Post(s)
Liked: 5139
Netflix, Amazon prime, DirecTV, Bluray. Bring it all to my theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
My theater never gets anything less than bluray. Period. End of story. Drop the mic.

I have a decent 2.1 system in the living room where we stream tv and watch comedy movies, but all other movies get the theater treatment. For me it keeps the theater special if we only use it once in a while. The latest raunchy comedy movie (our favorite genre) is fine in the living room where we're close to the kitchen for snacks and booze, but once or twice a week we venture into the theater for a big blockbuster, drama, or even an independent film. We no longer visit commercial theaters, haven't in at least a decade, but when we did we only went to the movies that we really wanted to see. So now, those movies get watched in our home theater instead. It becomes an event, like date night kinda.
Hi drunkpenguin,

I respect that. I think thats the way my theater viewing will remain as well. I have a 16:9 projector setup in my bedroom specifically for streaming and movies on blu-ray with inferior audio/video quality.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Netflix, Amazon prime, DirecTV, Bluray. Bring it all to my theater.
Hi BIGmouthinDC,

That's interesting. Do you have a lamp-based or solid state projector? If I had a laser projector, I'd watch everything in my theater.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 07:22 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5547 Post(s)
Liked: 5139
I have a lamp based Planar 8150 single chip 1080 DLP. The actual unit reviewed on this forum. The replacement bare bulbs run around $100 and last a couple of years of normal use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page